Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax battery dead - where can I find replacement?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out charging my battery last night after some time.   Don’t know if it’s my battery or the charger that’s a goner.  I’m hedging my bets on both.  There’s a red light, goes off after a couple of secs.  Last gig I played, between sound check and show, either my XPS died or the electronics in my Standard.  The trs cable is fine.  Hence my return to the battery which I never felt comfortable with.  Rather tellingly I actually expected it not to charge, not to work.  Can’t get a new one in Australia (edit - seems you can now, just $120 a pop haha!), Line 6 won’t implement VDI on anything but the most enormous and expensive floor unit.  I get the feeling the Variax is a dead duck.  Literally, probably, in my case.  Loved having a reasonable fudge on alternate tunings, did roughly what I needed it to do, but I think the marriage is over.  It plays like the cheap Yammy it is and sounds pretty ordinary too with two layers of modeling at work.  Back to hauling several real axes.  The little Stomp is a good box so I’m still on the team.  As an early JTV59 owner (too heavy, too prissy, PRS like and kind of soulless) it makes me sad that something as intrinsic and yet banal as power supply has crippled this very nice but undernourished idea.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, psarkissian said:

Plug in, light goes on, then goes off,... battery is in and charging.

After sometime it will start blinking when it's charged and done. 

Are you sure? According to the JTV Manual, the light should be solid red while charging... not off. 

I know you are the Variax guru, but all we have to go on are the manuals that are provided. 

image.png.eaf7016c7262cb09dafa600f8dcfc025.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 9:39 AM, bloodychoir said:

Tried out charging my battery last night after some time.   Don’t know if it’s my battery or the charger that’s a goner.  I’m hedging my bets on both.  There’s a red light, goes off after a couple of secs.  Last gig I played, between sound check and show, either my XPS died or the electronics in my Standard.  The trs cable is fine.  Hence my return to the battery which I never felt comfortable with.  Rather tellingly I actually expected it not to charge, not to work.  Can’t get a new one in Australia (edit - seems you can now, just $120 a pop haha!), Line 6 won’t implement VDI on anything but the most enormous and expensive floor unit.  I get the feeling the Variax is a dead duck.  Literally, probably, in my case.  Loved having a reasonable fudge on alternate tunings, did roughly what I needed it to do, but I think the marriage is over.  It plays like the cheap Yammy it is and sounds pretty ordinary too with two layers of modeling at work.  Back to hauling several real axes.  The little Stomp is a good box so I’m still on the team.  As an early JTV59 owner (too heavy, too prissy, PRS like and kind of soulless) it makes me sad that something as intrinsic and yet banal as power supply has crippled this very nice but undernourished idea.

Hi all 

I had the same experience. I hadn't used my JTV 59 for months, maybe even a year - it just kind of fell off rotation. I plugged the battery into the charger - nothing, then solid red. Tried this a few times and the same result so I started looking for a new battery (mine's about 5 years old). The best I could see for a genuine one was £55 incl shipping from Thomann. Before I pulled the trigger I just tried it one more time - still the same. I forgot about it and left it in the charger. The next day the red light was flashing and it was fully charged. I put it in the guitar and I have four lights.

I figure when it's deeply discharged it takes a while before it gets anything like usable again.

Hope this helps.

So now ... here I am thinking about buying a used 2012 JTV-69 and I am thinking this might be a questionable move? That original 12 year old battery probably is on it's last legs and then I'd have a brick (or at best have to fork our for a new battery if I could even get one)? So how would you determine if the battery is in trouble in a case like this? Also, I am reading in some other threads that the Piezo's have a limited life span so yet another yellow to red flag about buying an older JTV? Am I thinking on the right level of concern here??

On 4/23/2023 at 1:24 AM, Beacher said:

So now ... here I am thinking about buying a used 2012 JTV-69 and I am thinking this might be a questionable move? That original 12 year old battery probably is on it's last legs and then I'd have a brick (or at best have to fork our for a new battery if I could even get one)? So how would you determine if the battery is in trouble in a case like this? Also, I am reading in some other threads that the Piezo's have a limited life span so yet another yellow to red flag about buying an older JTV? Am I thinking on the right level of concern here??

Further to my response in your other thread on this topic….

I have a 2011 JTV-59 this is still my main guitar and is working perfectly. Battery is still good, though I rarely use it; I mainly use the VDI connection. My piezos are still working perfectly. I’m not aware of any definitive on-the-spot test you can do to predict remaining battery or piezo life during your pre-purchase testing.

Note that the JTV guitars have magnetic pickups also so it won’t be a brick if the battery fails.

Nonetheless, you’re right. Like any piece of electronic equipment it will eventually fail. When will that be? If my experience is any barometer it should still be working fine, and I expect mine to last many more years. But of course it could fail tomorrow, as even a brand new electronic device could. If the price is right for you, and if it tests out properly, I say proceed! 

One point to mention about buying used. The JTV guitars are shipped with a Variax USB Hardware Interface device. It consists of a fist-sized plastic rectangular box and 2 cables, and is used to connect your JTV to your computer via usb to support Workbench HD and Line 6 Monkey. Make sure it is included or that you get a further discount. It’s ridiculously expensive to purchase separately and is in short supply.

Hi Silverhead (I am in BC).

Understood about the lack of PM on this forum.

I am chasing down some JTV-69s. Just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes especially if they are getting shipped in from the US, like brokerage cross border fees, duty, etc.

As far as that interface you mentioned I have included 2 pix ... from two different guitars I am chasing. One pnly has one interface and the other has an additional power supply. Wondering if these are appropriate? Lastly do you know of any pitfalls buying from the US?1035019160_Screenshot2023-04-26at1_27_35PM.thumb.png.e56f5ddcb7263ba10972041172b040d7.png

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 1.39.25 PM.png

I also do not see the USB interface. I see the battery charger (included with a new JTV) and another box which is not included with the JTV. Looks like an A/B switch of some sort that I think used to be used with pre-JTV Variaxes.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, psarkissian said:

I see a VDI--> RJ45 cable, but I don't see an Interface device.

https://shop-us.line6.com/hardware/parts-and-accessories/variax-modeling-guitar-vdi-usb-interface-kit/

That link doesn't open for me .... I get "page not found 404 error". Would you mind replying with a pix of it? .... thanks.

Ah, right, sorry. I see you are outside the USA. See if one of these can get you one.

Yamaha Canada Music
Distributor
135 Milner Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M1S3R1
Phone: 416-298-1311
Email: support@yamaha.ca
A   Backline Musician Services Inc.
Servicing: Electronics
1424 Frances St.
Vancouver, British Columbia, V5L 1Y9
Phone: 604-258-9111
Email: richard@backline.com
URL: http://backline.com
B   Briere Production Group (Vancouver Studiotech)
Servicing: Electronics,Guitars
768 Sproule Ave.
Coquitlam, British Columbia, V3J 4L5
Phone: 604-931-1661
Email: studiotech@lightspeed.ca
C   Long & McQuade Surrey
13785 104th Ave.
Surrey, British Columbia, V3T 1W6
Phone: 604-588-9421
Email: surrey@long-mcquade.com
D   Em-Tech
420 Banks Rd. Unit 1
Kelowna, British Columbia, V1X 6A3
Phone: 250-717-1765

Can anyone tell me what this power supply is called (see pix) and whether it is available any more? Curious.

Also ... when the Variax is plugged in to a POD HD500 does the battery get charged? Or can the guitar still run (electronics that is) if the battery is dead or very low?

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 11.20.45 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 11.21.38 AM.png

When the POD is connected to the Variax using a VDI cable it does NOT charge the battery. In fact, you should remove the battery when you use the VDI connection. Using both battery and VDI power simultaneously can cause problems.

Note also that a VDI cable is not included with a JTV a guitar. It is different from the VDI-> RJ-45 cable pictured earlier. It is a special cable shielded at both ends for a more robust connection than a standard RJ-45 cable. It’s designed to withstand the rigours of movement during live performances without damaging the connectors at either end.

I'm researching the Variax, so sorry for the newb question as I don't own one, but how are you guys using the battery?  Or why is the battery so important given this:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a41127165da770494aa10/application/pdf/James Tyler Variax Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

"It is also possible to supply power to your Variax without a battery. When connected to VDI digital input-equipped hardware, such as a Line 6 Helix or POD HD, power is supplied via this connection. You can also power the guitar through the 1/4 inch Analog Output jack using the Line 6 XPS A/B Power supply and 1/4 inch TRS cable in the Variax Cable Power Kit (P/N: 98-034-0105)."

I live in Vietnam, so I could be seriously boned if I'm misunderstanding something.  There's 2 variaxes I can find on sale in the entire country.  One is from a music shop, and the other is on a facebook group

On 5/4/2023 at 8:53 AM, BaylorPRSer said:

sorry for the newb question as I don't own one, but how are you guys using the battery?  Or why is the battery so important given this:

You are correct... if using a VDI cable connected to a VDI device it will power the Variax... there is also an XPS box that you can use to power the guitar using a TRS cable. 

However, there are many reasons you would want a battery or two on hand. 

1. Some people don't have a VDI device.
  2. If you connect to workbench through a VDI Interface, you'll need a battery in the guitar.
  3. Outside of the US, Line 6 parts (eg: a VDI cable) are not easy to find... just like batteries.
  4. FWIW... I own all the gear, but I simply like to go wireless on stage. Sure I lose some benefits when I don't connect via VDI, but that's my choice.

And the most important reason I can think of...

The Variax was designed as a guitar... it simply should be able to work on it's own without needing added gear or special cables. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Psark,

As per your list of contacts in Canada (post on 4/26/23) for Line 6 parts I wanted to update you on a few things.

1) Still trying to hear from Yamaha Canada. 

2) Backline Musician Services ... have terminated their service component and can no longer get any Line 6 parts.

3) Briere Production Group ... the email provided is dead (bounced) and a call to them said they have no idea what Line 6 is .... thinking the number was changed to another business.

4) Em-Tech ... phone number out of service.

5) Long & McQuade still in business and trying to contact Yamaha about parts.

I am looking for a second Variax battery and possible an XPS-AB if they are still available. Are batteries now available?

Since the Line 6 Store will not ship to Canada what are my other options??

I see some Variax batteries on Amazon (from China) that will ship to Canada but they are not Line 6. I know you don't like non Line 6 products but ... if I can't get a line 6 product, I have no other option?

On 4/26/2023 at 4:34 PM, psarkissian said:

Ah, right, sorry. I see you are outside the USA. See if one of these can get you one.

Yamaha Canada Music
Distributor
135 Milner Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M1S3R1
Phone: 416-298-1311
Email: support@yamaha.ca
A   Backline Musician Services Inc.
Servicing: Electronics
1424 Frances St.
Vancouver, British Columbia, V5L 1Y9
Phone: 604-258-9111
Email: richard@backline.com
URL: http://backline.com
B   Briere Production Group (Vancouver Studiotech)
768 Sproule Ave.
Coquitlam, British Columbia, V3J 4L5
Phone: 604-931-1661
Email: studiotech@lightspeed.ca
C   Long & McQuade Surrey
13785 104th Ave.
Surrey, British Columbia, V3T 1W6
Phone: 604-588-9421
Email: surrey@long-mcquade.com
D   Em-Tech
420 Banks Rd. Unit 1
Kelowna, British Columbia, V1X 6A3
Phone: 250-717-1765

• 3 weeks later...

DO NOT use the Cameron-Sino batteries, they are unreliable. Had a Variax in a week and a half ago,... battery would charge.

I've had nothing but toruble with those Cameron-Sino batteries.

I submitted a request to have the service center map checked and updated.

pinfos,... no deception. They are out there. But because they are Li-Ion, they can only ship in small bundles at a time for safety reasons.

They are getting through, just not fast enough.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, Beacher said:

Can anyone tell me what this power supply is called (see pix) and whether it is available any more? Curious.

Also ... when the Variax is plugged in to a POD HD500 does the battery get charged? Or can the guitar still run (electronics that is) if the battery is dead or very low?

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 11.20.45 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 11.21.38 AM.png

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but that will power your JTV Variax. You do NEED a TRS cable to go from your guitar to the box. From there it's just a guitar cable. There is also an XLR output you can use and you are able to switch between them. I think the thinking was you could use the XLR for the acoustic sims if you wanted to go direct to a mixer. And do NOT have more than one thing powering it at a time. Take the battery out if you're using the VDI or this power supply. Do not have both the VDI and power supply plugged in at the same time, etc.

• 3 months later...

Based in Australia. Been looking for a replacement battery for my jtv59. Yamaha directs me to their retailers. ALL retailers tell me Yamaha say product is discontinued. Not a battery in the entire country.

So I hear what you say about not using third party batteries so what do I do? Tie a chain to it and take up boating?

Really disappointing for what was a great guitar. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, SmiffyG said:

Just got one sent to the UK from Thomann in Germany.

Sadly.... they cannot ship to Canada.

Line 6 will not ship to Canada

Long & McQuade does not have any...

Yamaha Canada has promised me a battery for several months, but claim they cannot get stock from Line 6.

@psarkissian... If Line 6 cannot provide stock... L6 should at least open up the agreements so we can buy from other countries! This STINKS!

Batteries get ship in small groups at a time for safety reasons, being Li-Ion.

They are making their way through, wish I had an estimated time of delivery

to distribution points for you.

I repair product, seems half of my career has been about trying to get parts.