Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless VDI has been achieved !

FIRST THE DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL AND PROOF OF CONCEPT THREAD.  IF YOU DECIDE TO WIRE THIS YOU AGREE TO ALL THE RISKS INVOLVED AND THAT YOU ARE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENCES.  EXPECT YOUR WARRANTY FOR BOTH THE VARIAX AND THE WIDIMASTER TO BE VOIDED IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. IT'S NOT KNOWN LONG TERM IF THERE ARE ANY NEGATIVES SO BE CAREFUL AND KNOW THAT ALL ACTIONS YOU TAKE ARE YOUR OWN AND YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF YOUR EQUIPMENT AND ACTIONS. thanks. 

Forum members of the group I belong to are currently seeking more expert eyes to understand and enhance reliability, safety, and enhance functionality. maybe even full control midi and aes in the future..

So.. 

I'm over at the Line 6 Variax worldwide family on Facebook and found out that an enterprising member has achieved wireless vdi *no audio just control... using a neutrik to widimaster conversion wiring scheme on a standard widimaster.

That's right Variax loyalists.. you can potenially use any wireless bluetooth midi controller to change the tuning and guitars on your jtv/standard Variax. 

video demo from user and the one who implemented this fix on their Shiruken, Christian Graffe

To be honest I don't understand it, but I want one 5 years ago! We are currently asking for forum members to vote for CME to make an official version, so I figure the more votes, the more this becomes reality. So please sign up and vote. 

Another route is someone smarter than me could put one together based off the schematics provided by the original innovator in this thread. It is supposed to cost only the widi master dongle which is 50 bucks and a neutrik connector. wiring* is here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13484.msg259727#msg259727

*keep in mind this is only midi in, so you cannot have any two way communication or audio, but you can use your g10 or other wireless to activate power to it and to go totally wireless, audio through 1/4 in output and midi in control through the widi jack. 

One way or another this HAS to happen. keep me in the loop and please don't bombard the guy with requests to build one. Meanwhile I'm going to build one next week. 

NOW

shuriken wireless.png

variax vdi.png

• Upvote 1

Actually, by reading that guy, doesnt look like this solution is working, I mean, sounds really WIP and experimental (at least...);

Conclusion:
- If wiring directly to a cable: Follow wiring in this thread as it works perfectly bidirectionally.
- If Wiring to work with wireless bluetooth (CME Widi Master or QuiccoSounf mi.1) - Invert the TX+ to Pin 5 and leave TX- disconnected. You will not have MIDI control from the Variax to external equipment though and due to reduced voltage/current, signal appears to be weaker. NOTE: not certain what could be the long term effect for the WIDI Master or Variax. I am jsut willing to take the risk for Wireless controll.

PD. The Sendemodus command F0 00 01 0C 07 00 2A F7 is NOT needed if you just want to one way controll the Variax.
It is requried though if you want to enable the Variax to send OUT MIDI, PC messages and CC (Volume and Tone).
This is true for the Shuriken latest software version (I assume same for the JTV).

PierM, yes it's just proof of concept, but click the link and you can see it in action on Youtube with the midi in function working. 

Would love everyone's opinion and votes or replication of interest polls so this can be done properly.

On 1/11/2023 at 1:22 AM, derums said:

….

*keep in mind this is only midi in, so you cannot have any two way communication or audio, but you can use your g10 or other wireless to activate power to it and to go totally wireless, audio through 1/4 in output and midi in control through the widi jack. 

I’d love to have this capability. I haven’t looked at the details or the video yet but the statement above jumped out at me. If I understand correctly, without audio it seems that this solution requires the Variax guitar to use both the 1/4” and the VDI circuits simultaneously. Line 6 has repeatedly cautioned against this because it can damage the guitar. Just another element to include in the Warnings.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, silverhead said:

I’d love to have this capability. I haven’t looked at the details or the video yet but the statement above jumped out at me. If I understand correctly, without audio it seems that this solution requires the Variax guitar to use both the 1/4” and the VDI circuits simultaneously. Line 6 has repeatedly cautioned against this because it can damage the guitar. Just another element to include in the Warnings.

Something I actually had a chance to briefly chat with Partev on Facebook.

This is actually slightly different, this solution is not using the AES lines nor PWR supply, only the MIDI signals. Which is actually no different whatsoever than using Workbench edit with the VDI USB adapter.

• 2 months later...

I have an small update on the Wireless VDI solution for you all.

First. I have managed to accomplish full bidirectional communication using WIDI. I managed to do it after carefully analysing the Variax schematics and understanding how Variax transmit messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89gJ0aHNPo

Second. I am collaborating with CME and we are coming up with a  solution as per suggested some time ago by Alec Bourne. This could take a while though as it would need to be productise. Exact details will follow eventually.

Third. I am happy to make custom adapters for anyone interested in having this today and to serve as early adopters. I have built some already for .... and they can give you some feedback on how they work.
I am able to create two variants. A dongle style adapter or a wireless pack style adapter (see images). If interested send me a PM.

Fourth. Current state of works consist of using the Wireless adapter with any 3rd party MIDI controller or with your own Helix using Command Center and the standard MIDI ports (not VDI). This works great and is the solution we are prioritizing.

On the other hand I have done some testing to use the HELIX VDI port to control the Variax using the proprietary L6 communication and settings. Unfortunately, the Helix performs a "sensing" of the guitar over the AES lines and only then it starts sending MIDI messages. If you would like to be able to use this more native method to control your Variax, I would need your help in giving a vote to the IdeaScale request I have posted to add a "Enable wireless Variax" toggle setting to the Helix firmware so the Helix can skip the sensing and simple talk to the Variax when the Wireless adapter is connected. They have actually done this in teh past with the Vetta amp.

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/72350

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2023 at 4:36 PM, brue58ski said:

I probably just missed it but what receiver/transmitter will be used on the Helix itself. I LOVE the idea.

You can use the standard CEM WIDI Master or WIDI Jack connected to standard MIDI ports.

• 3 months later...

Hello  folks, in the matter of Wireless VDI,
For those who do not know, I came up with a solution to provide wireless function to control the Variax over VDI using CME WIDI and MIDI. This are available on demand by PM'ing me.
Now, CME and I are looking to understand the level of interest of the community for this as a product and mass produce the solution at lower cost and make it easily available.
Please read and register in the link below to show your interest.  Help spread the word!!

https://www.cme-pro.com/crowd-creation-2-0-line6-variax-wireless-vdi-by-christian-graffe/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is rad, something that has been bubbling around for a decade as something people want - and now that someone's actually working on it, it seems to be getting pushback or no reaction.  I'm ALL ABOUT this, and super stoked and hope it becomes a real product because I want one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, scheater5 said:

This is rad, something that has been bubbling around for a decade as something people want - and now that someone's actually working on it, it seems to be getting pushback or no reaction.  I'm ALL ABOUT this, and super stoked and hope it becomes a real product because I want one.

What kind of reaction do you want? All we have here are some anonymous and grandiose claims, from a guy who stops by with one or two drive-by posts every 3 or 4 months. On any given day, if you poke around enough forums you'll find some psych ward escapee claiming to be Jesus...but for obvious reasons, there's not much point in getting excited about that either. I'll save the cartwheels for the day a functional product actually exists, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 2:39 AM, cruisinon2 said:

What kind of reaction do you want? All we have here are some anonymous and grandiose claims, from a guy who stops by with one or two drive-by posts every 3 or 4 months. On any given day, if you poke around enough forums you'll find some psych ward escapee claiming to be Jesus...but for obvious reasons, there's not much point in getting excited about that either. I'll save the cartwheels for the day a functional product actually exists, lol.

I will just respond that the Wireless solution is a reality and a number of people "30+" are already using it. It is not a grandiose claim or anything but you are free to believe whatever you want. This is not a bussiness for me and for that same reason I am not pushing it or making huge promotion, I just wanted to help the community to get something that has been asked for long time and make it easily available through the support of folks like CME. Anyone can make their own adapter by following the links shared in the original post though. But for those that just want to get it, I am available to build one manually myself for them.

This sub-forum is practically dead and I do not come often her. All meaningful discussions about Variax are happening in the Facebook groups. Some enthusiastic people (not me) have even created a dedicated group for the Wireless solution search Facebook for: Variax Wireless VDI Working Group and you will see people with their stories of wireless control.

Here is a video from someone using it and explaining how he uses it.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:34 PM, codamedia said:

How is the power provided to the widi jack (or widi master) at the Variax? Do you need a power bank. 

Also, you keep saying PM me, but this forum does not allow PM's :) 

I am sorry, as said above, I do not come often to this forum and I assumed it had a PM feature. Feel free to email me to christian.a.graffe@gmail.com for more details.

To answer your question, the WIDI MAster is powered directly by the Variax via the VDI port and you will need to operate the guitar off batteries.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:16 AM, scheater5 said:

Thanks for the support. Come find this FB gorup Variax Wireless VDI Working Group for discussion of this and the possibility to get one yourself.