Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible problems with Workbench and Mac updates - Be Careful

WARNING FOR 2024 - Mac updates appear to brick JTV workbench and possibly affect the JTV itself.

Last night upgraded security patch to my Mac - (Monterey 12.7.2) and Workbench no longer recognises my JTV basically it appears bricked!

Was fine before.

Managed to get workbench going on Big Sur 11.7.10 But this looks like a really big problem down the line - Be careful when upgrading and if you have any old Macs don't throw them away just use for the JTV -  Can't be sure but until last night everything was fine . We need security patches  & updates so don't compromise that but be aware this could be a huge issue if L6 don't support the software. Also Helix update may be implicated in this but can't tell yet as I tried connecting directly to Mac and it still thought I had an old JTV which is not the case.

Anyone else found issues last night with upgrades to Macs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 6:29 AM, chris_edbowen said:

if you have any old Macs don't throw them away just use for the JTV

For hardware management... a used Windows PC is far more economical. $50 will get you an old laptop that can be used to manage all aging hardware. In this disposable world there are thousands heading to recycling every day that are still in good working order - they are just outdated. 

There are a LOT of Variax users out there that put their trust in Line 6. If Line 6 stops maintaining Workbench HD to work with OS updates for at least 5 years, they are doing their (former) customers a huge disservice.

Line 6 has had a small history of abandoning products. The Variax bass (yes there was one) was supposed to have a workbench that never showed up. The Vetta was abandoned with issues (can't remember what they were) and the current JTV Variax has tone and volume knob control issues with the Helix that makes it pretty much impossible to use those advertised features. I own all three products.

I mostly love Line 6 and they have really good customer service. This seems to be the main area where they tend to drop the ball. Couldn't they at least say, "we couldn't do it" , if that was the case instead of just leaving people guessing. I do not know much about programming but it seems like the tone knob volume knob issue would be relatively easy to fix. I also know that things that people like me think would be easy to fix, actually aren't. Be nice to have some kind of communication regarding these issues. They are a known issue to Line 6 mentioned in the known bugs part of the updates. The last update it was mentioned in was the 3.5 update. Even there, the volume knob issue is not mentioned at all.  Even though it's still an issue, it wasn't mentioned in the last two updates. Looks like the JTV has been abandoned as well.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:03 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... but for all intents and purposes, Variax was abandoned long before being officially discontinued a few months back. The last update worth talking about was in 2014, or thereabouts. If that's not an indication that a product has been put out to pasture, then I don't know what is...

While Variax aficionados were destined to feel slighted, there's just not enough of them in the wild to justify spending resources on integration with platforms that are still being developed. Had they become as ubiquitous as Strats and Teles, then things would likely be different... but the truth is most guitar players don't know they exist, let alone own one.

Yeah I know. But I'm not talking about new features. I'm talking about features that have been in the Helix manual on page 23.

"Store Variax model, tuning, and/or volume and tone knob positions with a Helix preset or snapshot and recall them instantly"

Can't do that. At least give what you advertised. Keep your word.

On 2/12/2024 at 11:05 AM, psarkissian said:

Page-23,.... hmmm, haven't tried that yet. Might want to get with Support on that and see if they can reproduce the issue.

Already been done. I documented this around 3 years ago or so. The final conversation regarding this was

Thanks T***** for your detailed info. I had our team reproduce it after me, so they have logged it as a bug. Hopefully it will be address in the next update. I appreciate your help on this.
Regards,
Pete

That's ticket #404004

There's several tickets before it talking about the same thing.

I provided patches.

It's still the same.

All of that is obvious. You do not have to tell me. It's been done before. I'm still going to talk about it. Maybe something will happen. I know it won't otherwise. You can think it's a fool's errand or whatever else someone may choose to call it since it seems you are trying to tell me to give up.  And there was a "I'll look into it" type response. That gives me a little hope. I know it probably won't happen. But I know it won't happen if I don't do anything. Which is what you seem to want me to do. You can quit trying to tell my why it won't happen. It's all been said before.

crusinon2 - I was relaxed. What made you think I wasn't? You were the one that initially responded to me and then couldn't stop. Maybe it's you that needs to relax? I'm fine.

psarkissian - Yes the one ticket number was wrong.

Not 208

Sorry

I'm always relaxed.

No problem, typos are easy to do.

Ah, that the ticket.

Looking through the tickets to see what they were about, as I do repair, not support tickets.

Hmmm,... interesting tickets from 3-years ago.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:34 AM, psarkissian said:

I'm always relaxed.

No problem, typos are easy to do.

Ah, that the ticket.

Looking through the tickets to see what they were about, as I do repair, not support tickets.

Hmmm,... interesting tickets from 3-years ago.

I'm sorry. That was not directed at you.