Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

switching from bank to bank directly on the amp ?

gramote

Hi,

just uploaded the new firmware and had a very pleasant surprise to see all these banks now available !

playing with the remote app is great to prepare the tones, but i did not find how to switch from bank to bank directly from the amplifi.

is it possible to do it ?

many thanks in advance

I can't figure it out either. I have to think Line 6 has provided a way - and we just don't know about it - for this to be done. For now, I've been changing presets using the app but most of the time when using the amp I'm not using the app so being able to access more than just 4-presets from the amp is a must have for me. Hopefully, someone knows how to do it and will post it here.

That rots... All these additional banks in the amp but only accessible by connecting an iPad or iPhone? Not sure about others but I use my amp 90% of the time as is, without an iOS device connected. Being able to access more sounds than four without iOS would be a huge plus for me. Hopefully this a feature Line 6 adds in the next firm ware update (IMO it really should have been included in this most recent release).

should be accessible with the FBV shortboard as well.

That rots... All these additional banks in the amp but only accessible by connecting an iPad or iPhone? Not sure about others but I use my amp 90% of the time as is, without an iOS connected. Being able to access more sounds than four without iOS would be a huge plus for me. Hopefully this a feature Line 6 adds in the next firm ware update (IMO it really should have been included in this most recent release).

in the "currently" of triryche i understand that it will be possible in the future ... so i wait ...(-:

Thank you

I was not implying that whatsoever.

That is just my posting styling, knowing these threads can get bumped years later.

You could submit a feature request on IdeaScale.

http://line6.ideascale.com/

But I personally don't see a clean way to implements this. Without an iOS7 device or a floorboard, how would the AMPLIFi indicate the current bank?

I've been using my 150 with the Express footswitch as my gigging amp for the last couple of months, and it's working out pretty well, but because of only having the 4 tones available it's definitely a compromise.

If Line6 want this to be considered as a gigging amp as well as just a practice amp, having access via the amp, and preferably via the footswitch, to a couple more banks would seem an obvious step to me. Fingers crossed it's on the list...

Cheers, Gary

Triryche Posted yesterday 10:30AM "But I personally don't see a clean way to implements this ... how would the AMPLIFi indicate the current bank?"

Here's a scheme Line 6 coders could easily implement to provide access to some additional banks of tones using just the amp's single tone button (read: without an iOS device connected) > Double-click the tone button to switch to Bank 2's tones, triple-click to switch to Bank 3's tones, etc. Maybe do this for at least the first three or four banks of on-board tones? I have to think something like this is very doable.

You can use the volume knob indicator lights to select the bank. Double tap the tone button, increase or decrease the volume knob, then select A, B, C, or D as usual. This would require counting the indicator lights but that's easy.

You can use the volume knob indicator lights to select the bank. Double tap the tone button, increase or decrease the volume knob, then select A, B, C, or D as usual. This would require counting the indicator lights but that's easy.

That's a really good way too. It's super easy to simply count one, two, three, four, or five lights -- it gets harder to count as you go up BUT, no biggie, simply put the most used / most important / your gigging tones in the first four or five banks and you're good to go.

I like ice9mike's solution far better than the one I came up with ... and, I have to think it wouldn't be too difficult to code into the firmware. Maybe "someone" (what say ye ice9mike?) could suggest it on IdeaScale?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So far this feature request on idealscale has 9 votes. Thanks to those who voted!!

We need many more votes if you want this as a feature. I would say a minimum of 100 before it gets reviewed by Line 6. So please vote. Thanks.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Amplifi-Switch-banks-using-volume-knob/644567-23508

I've got your back. Up to 26 votes now, this is a really great idea. espicially considering it doesn't take up that much storage to recall settings.

• 2 months later...

There are 24 segments in the volume knob, quite close to the 25 banks. I won't miss the number 25 if I get a better way to select the other 24.

They are white LEDs, so they can perform any color (RGB). It would be easy as hell to access "bank selection mode" by double clicking the knob. It would show the selected bank by blinking the ordered LED from a starting position (let's say 12 o'clock). In order to avoid getting lost, 24 segments would be parted away in 8 "pages", 3 LEDs each, so all the LEDs non related to the active page (3x7=21) would be ON (in the "bank selection color"), the 3 LEDs of the "page" would be OFF (black) but the LED of the selected bank, which should be blinking (in the "bank selection color"). This allows to get a "page" reference to easily find out your desired bank (bank 14 = 2nd bank of the 4th page = middle LED blinking out of the three in the page which is down past "six in the clock"). Clicking the knob exits the "bank selection mode".

Using the FBV would be done by clicking the two lower buttons (A + B ) to enter "bank selection mode" showing the "page" in the number display (1 to 8) and the component of the page (first, second third) using the tuning LEDs (extreme left, center, extreme right). You should change pages clicking A button to go to the next one, and cycle in the three components (1, 2, 3, 1, 2...) clicking in the B button. If you want to move faster, you can control it through the volume/wah pedal (1 to 24). Changes should be replicated in the Amplifi's knob as well. Clicking the two lower buttons (A + B ) exits the "bank selection mode".

I'm waiting a moderator to approve my request to enter in ideascale to vote the ice9mike proposed feature, adding to it my User Interface detail definition as my 2 cents.

There are 24 segments in the volume knob, quite close to the 25 banks. I won't miss the number 25 if I get a better way to select the other 24.

They are white LEDs, so they can perform any color (RGB). It would be easy as hell to access "bank selection mode" by double clicking the knob. It would show the selected bank by blinking the ordered LED from a starting position (let's say 12 o'clock). In order to avoid getting lost, 24 segments would be parted away in 8 "pages", 3 LEDs each, so all the LEDs non related to the active page (3x7=21) would be ON (in the "bank selection color"), the 3 LEDs of the "page" would be OFF (black) but the LED of the selected bank, which should be blinking (in the "bank selection color"). This allows to get a "page" reference to easily find out your desired bank (bank 14 = 2nd bank of the 4th page = middle LED blinking out of the three in the page which is down past "six in the clock"). Clicking the knob exits the "bank selection mode".

Using the FBV would be done by clicking the two lower buttons (A + B ) to enter "bank selection mode" showing the "page" in the number display (1 to 8) and the component of the page (first, second third) using the tuning LEDs (extreme left, center, extreme right). You should change pages clicking A button to go to the next one, and cycle in the three components (1, 2, 3, 1, 2...) clicking in the B button. If you want to move faster, you can control it through the volume/wah pedal (1 to 24). Changes should be replicated in the Amplifi's knob as well. Clicking the two lower buttons (A + B ) exits the "bank selection mode".

I'm waiting a moderator to approve my request to enter in ideascale to vote the ice9mike proposed feature, adding to it my User Interface detail definition as my 2 cents.

This is a clever idea, but I'm pretty sure they aren't RGB LEDs around that knob - just red and white. It used to be that you had to actually use RGB to make white in the LED world, but it's not the case anymore. Actually, nowadays, the majority of LEDs sold are white. Well, technically, they're blue and the light is turned to white through a phosphor coating.

This is a clever idea, but I'm pretty sure they aren't RGB LEDs around that knob - just red and white. It used to be that you had to actually use RGB to make white in the LED world, but it's not the case anymore. Actually, nowadays, the majority of LEDs sold are white. Well, technically, they're blue and the light is turned to white through a phosphor coating.

Thank you! I'm pretty obsolete about LEDs :-D. The new color was intended to differentiate this mode to main volume and mixing level usages of the knob, but it is not needed to have a different color, but a way to distinguish the new mode. It should be good enough for my proposal showing the "pages" in a red-white pattern. Doing it so, each quarter of the clock (6 LEDs) would have a first half in white (3 LEDs) and a second one in red (3 LEDs). It could be even easier to locate the desired bank (it was in the third quarter, in the white page, in the middle, that is bank, 14).

By the way, I made a mistake in the original proposal: "bank 14 = 2nd bank of the 4th page" should say "bank 14 = 2nd bank of the 5th page".

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Being able to access the banks via controls on the Amplifi, or with the small FBV footswitch would be a highly worthy feature to have.

I think the specific suggestions above are good guidance on approaches to doing it.

I note that (as of this writing) using the Shortboard works, and that is a very good thing but access via the amp itself or the FBV would also be a good thing and really should have been designed in from the beginning IMO.

It seems to me there are two possible cases  -  1) there just isn't any more room left in the firmware for the code required to implement.  That would be a real shame.  In this case a higher capacity firmware chip should have been part of the design in the first place, incremental hardware cost notwithstanding.    2)  updated firmware could be written, but has not been written because there is no immediate payback/profit for doing so.   In this case, i can't applaud the decision.  There is so much great going on in the Amplifi that stranding players with not being able to get to it easily is a seriously anti-customer decision.  Even if it costs a man-month of effort with no payback, it would be the right thing to do.  (But if you want to charge $10 or $20 for the upgrade, I'd pay it!)

Line 6 clearly knows a whole lot about tone, amps, design, and the needs of players.  I'd like to encourage that each product always be made the best that it can be in accord with that knowledge *every time*.   (That's the rep you want to have, the one that generates praise and loyalty.)   Implementing the new great thing (e.g. Bluetooth) is wonderful, *so long as* the well-known basics continue to be implemented as well.   The "basics" should never be traded off.   Access to Banks via the amp, and any footswitch that connects to it is a basic.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Still wishing this was a thing in 2020 :(

I have so many mixed feelings about this amp. I do love the sound and connectivity but there's just so many compromises. And if you want to turn the amp into a stompbox it's another £200 on top for the FBV3. And it's only a foot switch... for that money I feel like it would be more worth putting it towards a multi effects board.

I've stick with this amp for 4 years but I do have a strong sense of buyers remorse. Wish I just stuck to a decent standalone amp and multi effects board.

• 2 months later...

I hear you Bearjamin. I want to love this amp—bought it about a year ago after looking at a few alternative options—but it just seems to get in its own way. Great potential, poorly realized. Still, after a bit of trawling around the web I did discover today how to change the default preset sound. Not sure why Line 6 didn't think that would be useful info to include in the manual, but there you go. Even this small discovery should hugely improve my enjoyment of this amp, which otherwise was well on its way to becoming just a large and expensive bluetooth music player ;-). Albeit quite a good one.