Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a handful of folks to test new Cab IR library

jroseberry

https://soundcloud.com/aris-laf/cabs

Comments: The cabs are over the top. They somehow makes the helix sounds like fractal. I like it. Most of them are ready for mix. There are plenty of options to select from. Some of them needs a bit of lower the frequencies of bass to sit perfect in the mix, other than that they are perfect.

I recorded the first part with a L6 epic, both rhythm and lead. Clean of 2nd part are soldano, lead a 45.

No post processing, just grab the marshal preset, replace the amp and put more reverb. same cab everywhere.

• Upvote 2

https://soundcloud.com/aris-laf/cabs

Comments: The cabs are over the top. They somehow makes the helix sounds like fractal. I like it. Most of them are ready for mix. There are plenty of options to select from. Some of them needs a bit of lower the frequencies of bass to sit perfect in the mix, other than that they are perfect.

I recorded the first part with a L6 epic, both rhythm and lead. Clean of 2nd part are soldano, lead a 45.

No post processing, just grab the marshal preset, replace the amp and put more reverb. same cab everywhere.

Thanks for sharing this... very cool.

Always love hearing what folks do with the IRs.

You mention the Cabs make Helix sound more like Fractal.

I was looking to capture a full yet articulate Cab sound... without "fizz" or harsh high-end.

Was wanting the FRFR playing experience to sound/feel more like playing thru a guitar cab.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing this... very cool.

Always love hearing what folks do with the IRs.

You mention the Cabs make Helix sound more like Fractal.

I was looking to capture a full yet articulate Cab sound... without "fizz" or harsh high-end.

Was wanting the FRFR playing experience to sound/feel more like playing thru a guitar cab.

You achieved the tone that you was looking for, it is fizzles :) Indeed it sounds more like a room voicing ! Well done!

Thanks for the cabs and letting me try them! 

• Upvote 1

BTW, you plan on making more and sell some? I went at your site and found nothing :(

Yes, the library will ultimately be low-cost commercial.

I want to gather some more feedback... and audio/video examples... then we'll put the library up on the website.  

I'm very pleased with the MESA 4x12 and Neve IRs.

I will be doing more cabs.  Anything specific you'd like to see (that would have broad appeal)?

I hope that Helix can be updated to hold more IRs.    ;)

• Upvote 2

Yes, the library will ultimately be low-cost commercial.

I want to gather some more feedback... and audio/video examples... then we'll put the library up on the website.  

I'm very pleased with the MESA 4x12 and Neve IRs.

I will be doing more cabs.  Anything specific you'd like to see (that would have broad appeal)?

I hope that Helix can be updated to hold more IRs.    ;)

Lovely! I would like the supro 1x9 that is really unique, and none done it yet, as well as a cab for the gibson amp... althought i guess that the gibson amp will not be a good sell.

Jim...I got them today and went through some of them real quick. 

The CV4 was BEGGING me to use it. lol 

But...for me the SMBeta56A was the winner. It seemed to be able to catch those frequencies in the upper mids that allowed for some really nice long sustain on lead notes for me. Plus I think it will fit in with a mix a bit better than the CV4 (which sounds AWESOME with all that low end...but probably not as practical in a band).

Anyway, I recorded a quick little bit of audio. Just some basic rock rhythm and lead using the modded 2204 in the Helix:
https://soundcloud.com/robbie-boyette/helix-and-jim-roseberry-ir-crunch-and-lead

I really like it. Seems to have just enough bottom end AND mid range punch for me. 
Thank you!

-Robbie

Jim...I got them today and went through some of them real quick. 

The CV4 was BEGGING me to use it. lol 

But...for me the SMBeta56A was the winner. It seemed to be able to catch those frequencies in the upper mids that allowed for some really nice long sustain on lead notes for me. Plus I think it will fit in with a mix a bit better than the CV4 (which sounds AWESOME with all that low end...but probably not as practical in a band).

Anyway, I recorded a quick little bit of audio. Just some basic rock rhythm and lead using the modded 2204 in the Helix:

https://soundcloud.com/robbie-boyette/helix-and-jim-roseberry-ir-crunch-and-lead

I really like it. Seems to have just enough bottom end AND mid range punch for me. 

Thank you!

-Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Sounds very good.  Thanks for the sound-clip!

Glad you like the Beta-56 IRs.

Mics that sound good on toms often sound good on guitar cab.

The Beta-56 is definitely a mid-focused mic (albeit a different flavor than a SM57).

Little more aggressive sounding in the upper mids than a SM57...

Figured some folks might gravitate toward that sound.

I just threw together a short hard rock/metal mix, using the SM57 3_center IR, and a couple of the tone shaping ones. It gives a great cutting tone for metal.
I forgot to mention in the description, I'm using the "Line 6 Fatality" amp in the demo.

All guitars are completely unprocessed (No eq, compression, etc.)

Close to the ens, I solo the left guitar, to showcase what it sounds like individually.

Great job, Jim! Thanks again for allowing us to test your IR's. I love them, and there are plenty of sounds for almost anything you can throw out there.

https://soundcloud.com/behold-the-underdogs/jim-rosenberry-mesa-ir-tone-test/s-HYWJM

My signal chain is the following:

(Noise Gate from the input)-> 10-band EQ -> Red Squeeze Comp -> Scream 808 Dist -> Parametric EQ -> Amp, then I split the signal with the A/B split.

Main cab is the SM7b 2_center (A.), secondary is CV4 2_center_off (B.). I have the the A/B split to 50A. The chain is topped off by the Neve bright - 1 and Neve - mud -3 and a parametric EQ where I have a cut a 2.1 kHZ in a high Q.

The only post-processing I have done is a HP at 100Hz. And I realize this tone might be a little scooped, haha.

The cabs are of very high quality, and the Neve IR-shaping is a really nice feature. I'll try to get around testing some more, but time is somewhat limited at the moment.

Keep up the good work!

I just threw together a short hard rock/metal mix, using the SM57 3_center IR, and a couple of the tone shaping ones. It gives a great cutting tone for metal.

I forgot to mention in the description, I'm using the "Line 6 Fatality" amp in the demo.

All guitars are completely unprocessed (No eq, compression, etc.)

Close to the ens, I solo the left guitar, to showcase what it sounds like individually.

Great job, Jim! Thanks again for allowing us to test your IR's. I love them, and there are plenty of sounds for almost anything you can throw out there.

https://soundcloud.com/behold-the-underdogs/jim-rosenberry-mesa-ir-tone-test/s-HYWJM

Very cool!  

Thanks for sharing that example.

Has that "chug" without the bottom end getting too loose/flabby.

Glad you like the IRs.

If you record more... post a link.

My signal chain is the following:
(Noise Gate from the input)-> 10-band EQ -> Red Squeeze Comp -> Scream 808 Dist -> Parametric EQ -> Amp, then I split the signal with the A/B split.

Main cab is the SM7b 2_center (A.), secondary is CV4 2_center_off (B.). I have the the A/B split to 50A. The chain is topped off by the Neve bright - 1 and Neve - mud -3 and a parametric EQ where I have a cut a 2.1 kHZ in a high Q.

The only post-processing I have done is a HP at 100Hz. And I realize this tone might be a little scooped, haha.

The cabs are of very high quality, and the Neve IR-shaping is a really nice feature. I'll try to get around testing some more, but time is somewhat limited at the moment.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for posting that example.

Would love to hear more.

Nice to see/hear that you're using the Neve tone-shaping IRs with the Cabs.

Question regarding the Neve tone-shaping IRs:

Does anyone have suggestions for other tone-shaping options?

I tried to cover the basics:

• Bass roll-off
  • Cut mud at 200Hz
  • Slight boost at 800Hz
  • Mid boost from 1.5kHz to 2.2kHz
  • High boost

As a user, are you missing any particular tone-shaping option?

Is there a particular combination that you'd like to have?

Question regarding the Neve tone-shaping IRs:

Does anyone have suggestions for other tone-shaping options?

I tried to cover the basics:

• Bass roll-off
  • Cut mud at 200Hz
  • Slight boost at 800Hz
  • Mid boost from 1.5kHz to 2.2kHz
  • High boost

As a user, are you missing any particular tone-shaping option?

Is there a particular combination that you'd like to have?

Might be cool to have some generic 'type' tone shaping options with names that describe the overall tone/EQ you are going for,  e.g. 'Classic 70's mid-scoop', 'Clean Sparkle', '5-String Chug', 'Woman Tone', etc..

I use mainly the Thump and mud ones but I would really like to know what is going on in each of them to help me make use of them better.

I tend to like a sharp Q notch at 750hz like Mesa uses on their V EQ thing. I do not like my low end chopped off, just sub sonics. Many of my pedals have bass contour and EQ at 80Hz so if you cut at 100hz that kills that. I tend to just like the speakers natural roll off. Not crazy about chpooing a cabinets response off, I can see the recording need and use of that but I am more a live sound guy.

I tend to use the Cali Mesa EQ a lot using moderate levels of boost and about a -3db notch at 750hz. Be nice to hear what a Neve quality IR would sound like replacing that. 

By the way Jim, I want to thank you for opening up the world of IRs to me, so many I tried I just did not like and yours seems to not have a bad one. I began to realize what I had not liked about the many other ones I tried. I like those large diaphragm like the CV4 and just crazy over Ribbon mics. I got some Ownhammer ribbon mic ones and several of yours are my go to IR list. 

• Upvote 1

What I found was that I liked the mi combinations of center or edge with cone. And the selections from the same distance produced the most pleasing sound (less phasey).
Then off axis one of them optionally.

And when blending two instruments' dual cabs together, then letting one of them be brighter SM57 for an example.

Great tones without fizz.

As for the eq settings. It's difficult to ask any standard solutions, it all depends on the context.
That said I tend to roll off high gain sounds starting from 7,5-8 kHz.
Sometimes cut mud around 300 Hz

Sometimes roll off low end below 50-70 Hz (need to keep the low end for the Stick).

Thanks again for making these IR-s!

• Upvote 1

I was going to wait to share this until it was mixed better since it sounds very "live" but I figured I would go ahead and share it.   I used the CV4-2 edge off figure 8 on one track with the soldano OD and then I used the 414 4 edge off with the Marshall 2204.  This is just to give an idea of what Jim's IR's sound like in a full band context and not meant to be a review of the song.. :)  

https://soundcloud.com/patrick-nelson-1/omniloud-breathing-down-my-neck

• Upvote 1

I was going to wait to share this until it was mixed better since it sounds very "live" but I figured I would go ahead and share it.   I used the CV4-2 edge off figure 8 on one track with the soldano OD and then I used the 414 4 edge off with the Marshall 2204.  This is just to give an idea of what Jim's IR's sound like in a full band context and not meant to be a review of the song.. :)  

https://soundcloud.com/patrick-nelson-1/omniloud-breathing-down-my-neck

Hi Patrick, I like that.  Reminds me of Crossfade.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim,

Thanks again for making these and letting us use them.  I am really digging them.  Last night I was doing some jamming with them on clean amps and they really "warmed" up the sound.  They have a bit more body and warmth that I really like.  My problem with the stock cabs is they sound to bright and tight and seem to be missing some overtones.  These IR's fix that issue.  I agree the the sound/feel is a bit more real and a bit more "in the room" sounding when using them through FRFR speakers.    

• Upvote 1