Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix in Action... Robin Trower content

Rocco_Crocco

I am really a newb regarding recording software. I bought Studio One last year but never even really got around to trying it until tonight. I surprised myself at how quickly I was able to put this together. It took less than two hours. 

I have been on Robin Trower kick for like 6 months, so I decided to record "Day of the Eagle". I got the backing track from YouTube (user Guitar Jam Tracks).

All guitars are me, the backing track is just bass and drums. I didn't play the slower ending part, because this was an exercise in using the recording software. I didn't want to spend too much time trying to nail the end.

Guitar

Line 6 JTV89F Variax on Spank (Strat) setting.

Modeler

Line 6 Helix with Glenn DuLaune's Robin Trower preset. I replaced his cab block with a 3 Sigma 1960v 3b IR.

• Upvote 3

One of the sounds I have been trying to get for years is Bridge Of Sighs. Some of the gear I've used is a Sans Amp, GSP2101 and every incarnation of the Line 6 Pods. Never got all that close...until now. It still needs some tweaking but wow. I love my Helix.

Any chance you could post your bridge of sighs preset on custom tone?

Hi JimiRox,

Just for the hell of it, here's a starting point for you to get a Robin Trower style tone - I did this a the basis for jamming along to "Into Dust" from the "Go My Way" album of 2000.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2031305/

It was put together quite quickly but it should get you in the ball park to start experimenting and refine the thing to suit your set up. I use it with my Variax set on Spank - obviously.

Oh, yeah I included a Eb semitone drop and a pseudo "WhaFull" cocked wha effect on a foot switch for those that want that simple trick.

Any chance you could post your bridge of sighs preset on custom tone?

Sorry for my late response. I'm fairly incapacitated with a knee injury. I will get it up there and let you know when I do. I hesitate to put patches up there because as many have experienced, including me, because of all of the various differences between user's gear, people are often disappointed with patches on Customtone. But, rock&roll, I'll do it.

Brue58ski, thanks for putting the patch on custom tone so fast and for the link to the demo. Not sure why you're apologizing for your playing, it sounds great and you captured the vibe of the song nicely. Tone sounds really good. I'm out of town right now but will load your patch onto my helix when I get back and will let you know how it's working with my setup. I would be using variax jtv69 on spank middle position model run through stagesource L3t FRFR speaker.

Sorry to hear about your knee, hang in there.

Datacommando thanks for your reply and patch as well. Will check it out. Much appreciated guys!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally loaded brue58ski's preset onto my Helix and gave it a spin. Sounded pretty true to the very elusive BOS tone. A little over the top on gain so I adjusted that, and channel volume was really low so I had to increase that to get decent volume through my speaker. Anyway nice effort, this tone is a tough one to capture.

If you like Trower then you will probably like another major Hendrix sounding and influenced player I saw recently.

I finally got to see the ex scorpion guitarist Uli Lon Roth. He is on tour with some other greats. I saw him with Andy Timmons and Jennifer Batten in Dallas. Those tones he got on the album Earthquake were some of the best I have ever heard recorded.