Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cleaning the Helix

hideout

Anybody got any suggestions on a safe cleaning solution that won't eat away at the Helix's markings or paint?

Mine is really grimy from playing a lot of outdoor gigs this summer. I've tried just a damp cloth but that doesn't seem to work that well. One the thing that is particularly difficult to clean is the expression pedal itself. I wonder if a computer screen cleaner would work. Is alcohol too harsh? Any thoughts?

robbie61,

Windex really? And it hasn't damaged the finish? Well... ok, I'll try it if I get desperate. What do you say, digital_igloo?

Yep, never even occurred to me that it might hurt the finish.

Used Windex on all pedals and midi controllers, etc. I've ever used since the 1970s.

I agree about the baby wipes.  My wife and I have saved tons of money using baby wipes to clean almost everything in the house instead of buying something from the store that may have harsh chemicals.  If baby wipes can clean the stuff that has come out of my kids behinds then it will most definitely clean the Helix.  You might need to buff it with a terry clothe afterwards but will clean it nicely.  I would use the baby wipes over the Windex.  

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I've always hesitated using Windex because of its ammonia content. I've ruined a pair of anti-glare glasses by using Windex and or soap. Both have ammonia. I knew a guy who did window tinting for a living and he used Windex soaked paper towels to remove the old window tinting film from cars. He also advised me to never use Windex on tinted windows because of the ammonia.

I keep a pack of travel baby wipes in my gig box. I find I usually have to squeeze out a bunch of juice before I use them but they safely clean gear and wipe down poly coated guitars/basses etc. +1 on a spare terry towel to buff things out if needed and to double as a helix cover before/after sets. Its preserved it here and there from the (well documented) audience splashing beer syndrome that seems to set in between the 2-3rd set break through the end of the night. I think I did try Windex on Helix before when I had it out at home and didn't notice any ill effects but interesting comment on wheat it does to tinted windows etc. I'll stick with the baby wipes! 

So what in the world caused the "grime" in the 1st place?

Are the fans having a food fight during the 2nd set? ;)

Well, I was positioned near the grill so oil and other particulates are in the air. Actually, even when I play mainly indoors, there still some accumulation of schmutz on the beast. I don't know shy. I can understand the spittle spots 'cause I sing but the other stuff...

Baby Wipes, who knew?! And I just happen to have a 1 year old step-granddaughter living with me now. Thanks for the tip!

When I first took a packet on a cycling holiday to clean my bike everybody thought it was a bit weird, they all ended up borrowing them by the end though!

Craig

• Upvote 1