Jump to content
EooN

Snapshots vs. in-block parameter settings

Recommended Posts

Is there a way to change the default behavior of settings in a block when the snapshots are changed? What I'd like to see is the settings to be snapshot-specific without having to indicate that explicitly. As in - all settings are snapshot-specific, except those you mark as the "global" ones. Basically a behavior reverse to the one that is the default. 

Is there any way to do that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really clear on what you're asking, but if you're saying that instead of pushing in the knob and turning it in order to get the brackets that tie it to the snapshot, that ANY time you change a setting it's tied to the snapshot unless you explicitly tell it not to..then the answer is no.  I would think that type of behavior would likely be pretty inefficient since the snapshot only has to keep track of the specific parameter you've selected, whereas the other way around it would have to keep track of every parameter unless you specified otherwise.  And given the lion's share of the parameters it's tracking would never get changed it seems quite wasteful to me in terms of memory.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! That's exactly what I was asking about, maybe I didn't make it clear :) I realize the DSP limitations play a role here, but aren't we able to get every parameter of every block in a given patch and put it in the "brackets" mode right now? I didn't try to create a patch that puts full load on DSP and do that but my guess is that I wouldn't be stopped. 

 

Anyway, thanks for answering. Maybe the L6 devs will see this thread and consider implementing such feature in an upcoming FW update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EooN said:

Maybe the L6 devs will see this thread and consider implementing such feature in an upcoming FW update. 

 

L6 uses ideascale (https://line6.ideascale.com/) for feature requests and you are free to start one there if you want. This is considered a user forum (users helping users) so they don't poke their heads in here very often.

 

IIRC there is a limit to how many controllers can be assigned per preset on the Helix.... I think that limit is 64 but I could be wrong about that. 

.... and.... if my understanding is correct, a "snapshot assignment" is considered a controller...

 

If that is true, it wouldn't take long to reach the limit if everything was automatically assigned to a snapshot and you would have to start picking and choosing the assignments at some point anyway. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, EooN said:

but aren't we able to get every parameter of every block in a given patch and put it in the "brackets" mode right now? 

 

No, there's a limit. You can control up to 64 individual parameters with snapshots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EooN said:

Thanks! That's exactly what I was asking about, maybe I didn't make it clear :) I realize the DSP limitations play a role here, but aren't we able to get every parameter of every block in a given patch and put it in the "brackets" mode right now? I didn't try to create a patch that puts full load on DSP and do that but my guess is that I wouldn't be stopped. 

 

Anyway, thanks for answering. Maybe the L6 devs will see this thread and consider implementing such feature in an upcoming FW update. 

 

As noted above, there's a limit of 64 controllers per preset, and that includes snapshot controllers. Going much beyond that would negatively impact the switching time between presets from what I understand. I mean, realistically, how many parameters are you changing from one snapshot to another? I don't know if I've even hit double digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always interested in these situations to hear WHY you want to do it this way.  As other shave mentioned, it seems woefully inefficient. 

 

Nevertheless, there may be something I'm missing. What were you trying to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could maybe see a use for this kind of behavior if you were treating each Snapshot as a different rig and then switching to stompbox mode to turn stuff off/on, but it seems like it would be easier to just copy/paste to a new preset and then adjust from there. I would like to see a way to put it in "Snapshot Edit Mode" so you can change parameters in each snapshot without having to remember to bracket each setting you want to change. My only problem with snapshots is my dumbass forgetting to press the knob when I want to edit something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EooN said:

Anyway, thanks for answering. Maybe the L6 devs will see this thread and consider implementing such feature in an upcoming FW update. 

 

Whether it's the best idea ever, or the worst since Cheetos lip balm, or Harley Davidson's line of men's fragrances (yes, those are both real, lol), if you don't put it in Ideal Scale, nobody who matters will notice it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why I even asked about this is that I often forget that a parameter I'm editing in a given snapshot is a "global" one. Personally I'd be more comfortable with the reversed setup but it's not a big issue for me, I was just wondering. Thanks for all the answers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EooN said:

The reason why I even asked about this is that I often forget that a parameter I'm editing in a given snapshot is a "global" one. Personally I'd be more comfortable with the reversed setup but it's not a big issue for me, I was just wondering. Thanks for all the answers. 

 

It shouldn't be a problem.  If the parameter is displayed with brackets around it, it's one that's being controlled by the snapshot.  I would think if you're adjusting a parameter you'd be looking at the value of the parameter and notice it doesn't have brackets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EooN said:

The reason why I even asked about this is that I often forget that a parameter I'm editing in a given snapshot is a "global" one.

 

15 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

It shouldn't be a problem.  If the parameter is displayed with brackets around it, it's one that's being controlled by the snapshot. 

 

I'd just like to add to this... in case EooN is not aware of it.

 

If there isn't a bracket around it, simply push the KNOB while you turn it and it INSTANTLY becomes a snapshot controller. It's just a motion... takes a fraction of a second. If you are using HX Edit... "Shift > Left Mouse Click" does the same thing (IIRC)... and also only takes a moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:06 AM, phil_m said:

 

As noted above, there's a limit of 64 controllers per preset, and that includes snapshot controllers. Going much beyond that would negatively impact the switching time between presets from what I understand. I mean, realistically, how many parameters are you changing from one snapshot to another? I don't know if I've even hit double digits.

 

To address the OP's post I agree with the others here that it would be a criminal waste of processing resources to have every parameter for every block set up for snapshots by default. I have often wished however for a way to assign all of the parameters for a selected block to snapshots at one time. Then maybe turn off the ones I won't need.

 

I don't know that I've ever had an issue with the 64 parameter snapshot assignment limit but I routinely crack double-digits. I often have many of my amp/cab model's parameters set up for snapshots as well as various effects including my delay, overdrive, reverb, and often all of the parameters for my parametric and/or graphic EQ. I do this most often on my general use presets where I tend to be emulating some kind of multi-channel amp setup such as clean, crunch, lead, and mega-lead.  That way, depending on how many amp models I have in the preset, when I switch snapshots for example from a crunch tone to a lead I can change a host of parameters at the same time. These might include for example changing the amp's tone stack and cranking up the drive on the amp and distortion blocks, changing some cab parameters, lengthening the delay, reducing the reverb, reining in the highs a bit more on the EQ to keep things from getting shrill, etc..  I also change the compressor's parameters sometimes depending on how for example the OD/Distortion block or amp's Drive setting(s) are impacting/compressing the sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×