On 5/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, cruisinon2 said:

If you're really intent on getting a Variax, used ones are not hard to find... they're all over eBay.

Eventually a suitable Variax at a reasonable price appeared on UK eBay, & it's now plugged into my Helix. Not the JTV-59 I'd originally intended, but having had a quick tour I'm very happy with my Variax Standard & look forward to further explorations. :)

As for new ones, still no sign of them so far as I can see, but that has become irrelevant...

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, cruisinon2 said:

That is most likely macassar ebony. It has streaks of brown in it, and at a glance the grain is similar to rosewood. The jet-black, really tight grain ebony...whatever the species is...is becoming increasingly rare and harder to get.

https://www.wood-database.com/macassar-ebony/

Yep, it's macassar ebony. I have an Ovation Adamas 12 string with an ebony fingerboard and I wanted a JTV-59 for a while, but not with a rosewood fingerboard. When I found out they now have ebony I ordered one. When it came in I was a little disappointed in the fingerboard. It is definitely darker than rosewood, but has considerably more visible and deep grain than my other ebony. It's better than a full on rosewood, but not as silky as a full on ebony. :-(

sifpandor,... the date code on the 59 you have is definitely an macassar ebony fret board.