Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quad Cortex - I wonder where they got that idea?

datacommando

43 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

While the guys were quite cool, IMO that live video was lame and didn't offer any information to me that I wasn't aware of before already. They didn't bother to answer my questions about the lack of SPDIF, either (which will really annoy some folks).

I wonder if they will be able to provide AES/EBU through the XLR outputs or if digital output will be strictly limited to USB?

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

You should check out the thread over on TGP, where Doug has been an active participant, answering questions including those that arose from the video.

Thanks, did that , seems there are both intelligent pitch shifting ,and an intelligent harmoniser  ,as as well as a synth block, which i presume is similar to the Helix drone, but sounds like it could be a bit more musical.

Whatever next  ?...the ability to store loops .

6 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I wonder if they will be able to provide AES/EBU through the XLR outputs or if digital output will be strictly limited to USB?

Well, even if that would be possible (which I somehow doubt), it'd be quite convoluted. I mean, you're losing balanced monitoring outs that way, absolutely not what the doctor ordered.

6 hours ago, antonio1961 said:

Whatever next  ?...the ability to store loops .

So far there's not even a looper.

4 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, even if that would be possible (which I somehow doubt), it'd be quite convoluted. I mean, you're losing balanced monitoring outs that way, absolutely not what the doctor ordered.

I grant you that it is not SPDIF and if that's what you want/need it doesn't look like it will be on this device. Just speculating on one of the only ways, other than USB, that they could deliver a digital signal with the hardware that they are currently showing in their literature. If by convoluted you mean that it will cost you the use of your XLR connectors for other purposes, as you point out, then I agree. Technically it is not convoluted as XLR connectors are used to deliver an AES/EBU digital output signal all the time. Just saying they could potentially leverage those XLR outputs for an additional digital output method with only the currently spec'd hardware. Agree that additional digital outputs like SPDIF would be nice to have for some users. When it comes to connections, price and footprint allowing, the more the merrier. 

I grant you that it is not SPDIF and if that's what you want/need it doesn't look like it will be on this device. Just speculating on one of the only ways, other than USB, that they could deliver a digital signal with the hardware that they are currently showing in their literature. If by convoluted you mean that it will cost you the use of your XLR connectors for other purposes, as you point out, then I agree. Technically it is not convoluted as XLR connectors are used to deliver an AES/EBU digital output signal all the time. Just saying they could potentially leverage those XLR outputs for an additional digital output method with only the currently spec'd hardware. Agree that additional digital outputs like SPDIF would be nice to have for some users. When it comes to connections, price and footprint allowing, the more the merrier. 

I've never seen XLR outputs that could pull double duty like that... Seems like that would be somewhat challenging to have a jack that could be either analog or digital out.

If by convoluted you mean that it will cost you the use of your XLR connectors for other purposes, as you point out, then I agree. Technically it is not convoluted as XLR connectors are used to deliver an AES/EBU digital output signal all the time.

Yeah, I'm aware of AES/EBU - and yes, by convoluted I meant losing the XLR for whatever other purposes.

Regardless of how things might end up being, I think it's not clever to release a digital unit in that price segment without digital I/O. Already made me wonder with the GT-1000, which has no SPDIF, either. Even weirder considering the *way* cheaper GT-10 at least has an SPDIF output.

13 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I've never seen XLR outputs that could pull double duty like that... Seems like that would be somewhat challenging to have a jack that could be either analog or digital out.

I don't think it'd be technically challenging, at least not much. After all, it's just three relais switches per XLR socket that would have to be controlled.

But as you folks, I absolutely doubt they'll be doing it that way. It'd possibly even make the unit look bad because people would be "WTF?!?"-ing all throughout.

18 hours ago, the_bees_knees22 said:

they announced so early and have the pre-order option, because they want to get more capitol upfront lol   

I don't think they're a big company right?  I actually have no idea.

That is a very risky business move... and puts you in a terrible place if the plan halts and you promised to refund everyone's money. If you've spent it all, there is nothing to give back. 

The pre-sales would be a way to convince/secure investors. If they see 1000 pre-orders, they will feel much more comfortable investing their $$$. 

16 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I mean, do you have issues with the touchscreen of an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy? There's no reason why the screen of the Cortex should be any worse.

It is important to understand that YES, some people do have problems with their smartphones. Touchscreens work for the majority, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. 

34 minutes ago, codamedia said:

It is important to understand that YES, some people do have problems with their smartphones. Touchscreens work for the majority, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. 

Point taken.

Now, how many folks having issues with touchscreens would you say are guitar players in the market for a high end modeler? Or how many guitar players with an interest in a high end modeler would you think of having issues with a touchscreen? Either way, my rough estimation would be any number pretty well below 1%, likely even below 0.1%.

Add to this that I don't think high end modelers should be compromised by delivering lowest common denominator technology.

And finally, I don't think one of the common complaints one might read about regarding the Headrush would be that it features a touchscreen, more to the opposite, I consider it to be one of its strongest selling points.

YMMV, quite obviously. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Now, how many folks having issues with touchscreens would you say are guitar players in the market for a high end modeler? Or how many guitar players with an interest in a high end modeler would you think of having issues with a touchscreen? Either way, my rough estimation would be any number pretty well below 1%, likely even below 0.1%.

Add to this that I don't think high end modelers should be compromised by delivering lowest common denominator technology.

Nobody in this thread has suggested that. Just because i said I "prefer" a pointer does not mean I don't want YOU to have a touchscreen :) 

Actually... here is a quote of mine from this very thread....

On 1/14/2020 at 7:52 AM, codamedia said:

Company's need to give the people what they want.... I understand that. I just hope they also consider the minority and don't make touch screens the only way to get around...

IMO the best option is to provide both a touchscreen and a pointer (job wheel, joystick, etc... etc..) so everyone wins. 

For me it's preference... for others, touchscreens just won't work! 

18 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

All good points but seeing as how they provided knobs and touchscreen, depending on the implementation, there is at least the potential to accommodate most users regardless of their level of skin conductivity :-)

I know they provide knobs for adjusting values, but do they provide a pointer.... a way to actually get around the screen?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Nobody in this thread has suggested that. Just because i said I "prefer" a pointer does not mean I don't want YOU to have a touchscreen :) 

Well, I guess they don't offer a pointer option - at least not anything that might work in a remotely common way. Apart from the rotary encoders/switches, there's almost no further controller elements and I don't think it's very likely that you could abuse one of the rotaries as a pointer device.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, I guess they don't offer a pointer option - at least not anything that might work in a remotely common way. Apart from the rotary encoders/switches, there's almost no further controller elements and I don't think it's very likely that you could abuse one of the rotaries as a pointer device.

Certainly not the end of the world... 

For those people that struggle with touch screens they are getting used to using  a stylus  :(

When Line 6 decides to go the route of touch screen (which I know is inevitable) I do hope they keep the less fortunate in mind and retain the joystick.. or an equivalent. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, antonio1961 said:

i was quite surprised that CEO Doug didn't seem to be at all familiar with term 'intelligent pitch shifter',  though tbf ,the effects side of things is not necessarily his forte..

That video was really lame, it seems like most of the device only exists as a programmed VST-type thing on a computer at the moment. I wouldn't expect him to know much about FX outside amps, compression, and distortion, though, being a BASSIST and all.  There isn't even a real FX/Amp model list, and judging from the video those things are not even close to finished. I was a lot more excited about he possibilities when I was thought that the Archetype plugins were gonna be included. If this does well I see dual-pedal-sized "Cortex Artist" pedals loaded with the VST suites, so maybe smart in marketing, though.  I already have enough ITB guitar processing stuff, and buying a $100-$200 add-on for a $1600 pedal is a freaking joke. "Biomimetic" sounds about on par with L6's advertising campaign for Amplifi, lol.... "The Guitar amp Reinvented" or whatever the hell it was. 

22 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, then the implementation is just bad (or it's the wonky bluetooth protocol, which really isn't worth anything). I mean, do you have issues with the touchscreen of an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy? There's no reason why the screen of the Cortex should be any worse.

No problems with iPhone here ... until I tried to use one to control amps and gear settings. So maybe implementation of those particular apps?

I'm not opposed to the concept, just that the ones I've personally used left me disappointed and I wished for good old regular tactile buttons and dials, and left me with a distrust of touch screens which seemed instead to serve the product price point (quality buttons and knobs are expensive and can't be easily changed) instead of making it more usable for me. If they work reliably, sure, let the company save some money by not having to put on physical controls like humans with fingers and opposable thumbs were meant to manipulate and turn our fingers into glorified computer mice instead. :-) My preference is physical touch and tactile feedback, though.

It's just my preference, and I'm probably in the minority - people seem to be clamoring for bluetooth iPhone control of their gear, so I'll eventually have to deal with it.

2 hours ago, bsd512 said:

My preference is physical touch and tactile feedback, though.

I'm all with you here - but that is for adjusting parameters. For selecting blocks and reordering them, I couldn't imagine a more comfortable thing than a touchscreen. And my brief checkout of the Headrush proved that.

Thing is, with the Cortex, you get both. More knobs than on any other modeler and a touchscreen for everything where it makes sense.
Having said that, what I'd like to see the most on the Helix is custom knob layouts including custom pages and an option to assign multiple parameters to one knob. Add "globalization" and you would never see me ask about anything else ever again (well, not really, but pretty much...).

4 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

That video was really lame, it seems like most of the device only exists as a programmed VST-type thing on a computer at the moment. I wouldn't expect him to know much about FX outside amps, compression, and distortion, though, being a BASSIST and all.  There isn't even a real FX/Amp model list, and judging from the video those things are not even close to finished. I was a lot more excited about he possibilities when I was thought that the Archetype plugins were gonna be included. If this does well I see dual-pedal-sized "Cortex Artist" pedals loaded with the VST suites, so maybe smart in marketing, though.  I already have enough ITB guitar processing stuff, and buying a $100-$200 add-on for a $1600 pedal is a freaking joke. "Biomimetic" sounds about on par with L6's advertising campaign for Amplifi, lol.... "The Guitar amp Reinvented" or whatever the hell it was. 

Yes, they do seem like they have a long way to go, to get to some sort of finished article, and i envisage them having to fly by the seat of their pants for a good while yet , probably right up till the first units are shipped out.

There's no question they got the inspiration for the design from the Helix , replicating the whole network of people ,and the level of support behind the Helix is going to take some doing though.

There was a demo that appeared to have been done straight after the live feed, but it didn't sound at all like anything unique to me.

Out of curiosity ,and to try and compare product launches,I had a look at some of the first posts on here ,and it seems there are some similarities with the Cortex, in that some people did pre order the Helix without knowing exactly what they were buying, the only difference (And it's a major one ) being, ..that L6 were already well established.

I'd genuinely never heard of Neural til this week ,though i'm probably not a huge plug-in user anyway, so i presume i'm in a minority there, .. it's not a negative ,it's just an observation.

Seems some were asking back then why there was no touchscreen on the Helix? , wi-fi, bluetooth ?, and more,.. all probably ended up serving as groundwork for the Cortex.:-)

Our own personal choices  from a design perspective can vary hugely, but four and a half years later and this quote from Digital Igloo still rings true for me.

'"One of the first Helix UI/UX designs had a touchscreen. We tested it, and touch footswitches ended up being way faster and more elegant in practice".

• Like 1

Fwiw, just watched the "Beta Sound Demo" video - now, that is truly what I call lackluster. Also demonstrates how great of an idea a looper slapped in front of everything would be (which the Cortex doesn't have).

Whatever, the sounds presented are the polar opposite of "let's get dirty!". But I often want just that when playing guitar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO the best option is to provide both a touchscreen and a pointer (job wheel, joystick, etc... etc..) so everyone wins. 

For me it's preference... for others, touchscreens just won't work! 

I know they provide knobs for adjusting values, but do they provide a pointer.... a way to actually get around the screen?

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

Certainly not the end of the world... 

For those people that struggle with touch screens they are getting used to using  a stylus  :(

When Line 6 decides to go the route of touch screen (which I know is inevitable) I do hope they keep the less fortunate in mind and retain the joystick.. or an equivalent. 

13 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Good points regarding the joystick. Definiely hope L6 retains some version of a joystick which works very well although I would prefer one of those flat designs like you see on the Roland GR-55. There doesn't seem to be a good analog pointer control on the Cortex or anything that could be dual use unless the volume knob becomes a joystick. Why not just add one at that point?  Users will just have to commit to the touchscreen approach and some won't like it. Better hope the touchscreen works well. If it does it could make several operations easier, particularly moving and adding blocks.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, phil_m said:

Then I guess I should hurry up and patent the idea :-) You're right I can't think of any devices that deliver analog/digital via XLR off the top of my head. I was just spitballing as to how it could possibly be done with just the hardware already present on the device but maybe SaschaFranck and you are correct that it would be challenging and convoluted as in "Why not just add more digital connections?".

That video really just sounds ok. I wanna see what kind of cool stuff you can do with four DSP cores, how the switching setup works, what a four amp rig sounds like, what it can do with an expression pedal connected. So far all the demos have been tones similar to what one can pull from a Firehawk FX with some IRs after it, minimal FX (and nothing unique or all that powerful considering what they're advertising for processing power), and the screen looks slow compared to even budget cell phones. Should have stuck with the crazy ad hype train and waited until there was more to the software to start showing it off at trade shows and doing audio demos.

28 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Go ahead and post away!

I 100% have better things to do when I'm not at work (which is the only place I'm in front of a computer with enough time to even visit these forums) than prove to strangers on the internet things I already know to be true. Literally any modeling device of the last 6-7 years could pull those tone with a comparable cab model/IR.

18 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I 100% have better things to do when I'm not at work (which is the only place I'm in front of a computer with enough time to even visit these forums) than prove to strangers on the internet things I already know to be true. Literally any modeling device of the last 6-7 years could pull those tone with a comparable cab model/IR.

Well, business as usual. Bold claims, no proof. Sorry, but I've been through that way too often. So I prefer to not believe anything without proof anymore.

The proof is in the completely average tones in the demo videos so far, lol. Everyone's got different ears, I don't hear anything to suggest this is worth the cost outside the ability to run four signal chains. Modelers are pretty much as real as real gets without having tubes and speaker cabs, from Mooer to Fractal. If NDSP wants to wow people, show what you can do with all that power besides stock rock tones with a little delay.

8 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I thought we were just discussing. I know my barn doors are still closed if ya know what I mean so no weeing going on here officer.

I wasn't suggesting there was in your case :-) It was just a general observation...

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

I think the attempt, quite clearly even, is to surpass everything with the exception of maybe the Axe FX III. YMMV.

That's definitely a possibility and have heard it on other forums. It's even on the product's home page. "The most powerful floor modeler on the planet" is what it says specifically. The official release date is Nov. so it'll be awhile before we know for sure. It does look to have potential although I'm good with my Helix personally. But if I win the lottery.........

9 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

The proof is in the completely average tones in the demo videos so far, lol.

I think the tones in the video from Rabea Massaad are far from "completely average" - but in case you can get them from a Firehawk plus an IR, I'd sure be interested in your mad tweaking skills.

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

That's definitely a possibility and have heard it on other forums. It's even on the product's home page. "The most powerful floor modeler on the planet" is what it says specifically. The official release date is Nov. so it'll be awhile before we know for sure. It does look to have potential although I'm good with my Helix personally. But if I win the lottery.........

My personal take would be that I'm more or less perfectly happy with the Helix regarding sounds. Sure, I wouldn't mind a thing here and there, but in case the Helix was all I had until the rest of my life (given it doesn't fall apart), I would get along just fine. As said, soundwise that is.

However, I also think that the Helix is missing quite some things regarding organisational/utilitarian issues - things which are actually kinda keeping me away from using it to its full potential.

Hence, if any other company comes along adressing these things, I'd be all interested. But quite obviously, the sonic aspects must be covered as well as with the Helix. I am now pretty much sure that with the QC, this will be the case. So I'll now be having a look whether they're getting the mentioned organisational things right as well. In that case I'd be all in. And quite obviously, I'd happily take amp capturing and the small footprint as a welcomed addition.

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

However, I also think that the Helix is missing quite some things regarding organisational/utilitarian issues - things which are actually kinda keeping me away from using it to its full potential.

I'm curious what you feel these are? Not arguing... actually curious : )

I know you have mentioned things like global blocks which... after a little thinking... actually has me excited about that type of feature. But I don't see that in this unit? Touchscreen? As we have discussed, not enough for me, but I understand if others want it. 

One thing I did like in one of the demo's I saw was a "search" feature. But - since I only roll my own presets, I would never use that :) 

And quite obviously, I'd happily take amp capturing and the small footprint as a welcomed addition.

Small footprint, not so important to me (just IMO).... but the capturing does interest me. ONLY if it is on part with Kemper! Otherwise if I had the extra cash I would just buy a Kemper Stage to go with my Helix... a combo some of my colleagues have. 

I think the tones in the video from Rabea Massaad are far from "completely average" - but in case you can get them from a Firehawk plus an IR, I'd sure be interested in your mad tweaking skills.

well... I don't own a Firehawk but I do own a Helix. There is nothing in that video that sets the Cortex apart "yet"..... just sayin'.... 

10 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I thought it sounded pretty good as well, particularly the clean and crunch tones. Don't know if it was just really well recorded, the Quad Cortex, or a bit of both, but it sounded great for an initial listen. As always it is really tough to tell how this thing will sound in a room when listening through a PC's speaker system. I think this device has potential but who the hell knows until it is delivered and has been out in the wild for a little while. I will say one thing. Given the fact that they announced that they will be adding to it in perpetuity, a bold claim unless they discovered the fountain of youth, at least we won't be hearing "you shouldn't have bought it unless you were prepared to settle for what it had in the box at delivery". I do wonder how much of that post development will be free and how much will be "hey, buy this new plugin".

As with any demo ,the product will only sound as good as the person demoing it.

The skill to demo a new product is an art in itself these days ,and guys like Paul Hindmarsh have that art perfected to a tee.

Apart from being an excellent guitarist with a wide range of styles ,he always knows the product inside out ,and presents as such.

Point being , that i'm sure DSP Neural will get some better demo's out there at some point, though maybe they've just been a bit naive ,what with being new to hardware and all that.

If i didn't already own a Helix , and was in the market for something new, from what i've seen and heard so far tbh ,my money would go on the Pod GO ,and i view it , and not the Helix , as it's current competitor.

Although the Cortex has other selling points, one of the main ones is the touchscreen, . i view a control pedal as being more important, and that makes the Pod GO a proper grab and go solution .

On 1/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, codamedia said:

I'm curious what you feel these are? Not arguing... actually curious : )

I know you have mentioned things like global blocks which... after a little thinking... actually has me excited about that type of feature.

Ok, might get longer, but as you've asked, yeah, out of everything I could think of, global blocks for me would be *by far* the most exciting/important thing I could wish for.

Sure, it's mainly for the live playing crowd, so in case you're merely using the Helix for home fun or recording, this would likely not even be remotely as interesting. But once you're playing live, this will be sooo useful.

From my experience, very few basic amp sounds plus some modifications will take you through pretty much any gig (I could elaborate but I don't think it's required for this thread). For these few sounds, it's just incredibly useful to have global control. I have already mentioned this elsewhere, but as an example: Clean sound not loud enough? No problem, turn up the clean channel volume. As easy as it gets with a multichannel analog amp. But once these clean sounds are spread over multiple patches, even such a simple task very quickly becomes completely (!) impossible. Select patch, turn clean amp up, save. Select next patch, turn clean amp up, save. Repeat for any number of patches using clean sounds. Along this, you would have to remember how much you turned things up. Ok, soundcheck is over (and you've already spent all soundcheck time on adjusting clean channel levels...), the show is on. During the first tune you notice that you turned the clean channel up too much - well, game over, you will *never* manage to re-do all these patch modifications during a gig. Again, with an analog amp, I'd have a chord ring out, turn around to my amp and turn the volume knob down a bit. Mission accomplished.

If you want to overcome this with the Helix, so far your only option is to use as little patches as possible (in my case exactly one per gig). As a result, you have to stuff all kinds of things into these patches. Which makes controlling them tougher (running out of footswitches and snapshots, way more block navigation required should you want to tweak things, etc.). Plus, you're losing options. There might be just enough juice/blocks for the phaser but the flanger has to stay out - unless you could use another patch. Which would result in - well - see above.

There's also some further things that would be a lot easier. Let's say you have just managed to come up with a patch list for a certain gig. You'd only be using two amps all throughout (same settings, too). Now, all of a sudden you may notice that your dirt amp would work a whole lot better with another cab/IR. As is, you would have to enter each patch, reassign the cab, resave. Just to find out the old IR was the better choice...

I'm sure you get the idea.

But I don't see that in this unit?

True. And we will possibly not know for a while.

Yet, as said before, personally, I sort of wanted to know whether the sound quality was up to date (which, regardless of any other features, is still the most important thing). Which it seems to be.

Touchscreen? As we have discussed, not enough for me, but I understand if others want it. 

Given some other things are done well, I would not drool over a touchscreen, either. But then, Line 6 could just add one. In form of a mobile app. Sure, there's no bluetooth on the Helix, but it would work just fine via USB. I'm not even expecting a fullblown editor but a mixture of a controller and a librarian would be just great (especially in case there were global blocks, hah!).

Further things I'd wish for:

- External MIDI control that *doesn't* conflict with snapshots (this is really bad IMO).

- User definable knob assignments. Just as what you can do with switches (which seems to get even better with 2.9).

- Block presets (and user definable defaults along with them). I find myself turning the same parameters *all* the time when inserting new blocks.

- Grouped blocks and presets for them. Defenitely not easy to realize, but given the amount of times I use the same combination of 1-2 drives, an amp and a certain IR, these would be immense time saviours.

- Decent IR management. Well, let's see how things go with 2.9.

- And most of all: Global blocks (did I mention them already?).

There is nothing in that video that sets the Cortex apart "yet"..... just sayin'.... 

Hm, you might be right, but the JCM stuff starting around 6:20 or so is pretty damn great IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Ok, might get longer, but as you've asked, yeah, out of everything I could think of, global blocks for me would be *by far* the most exciting/important thing I could wish for.

Sure, it's mainly for the live playing crowd, so in case you're merely using the Helix for home fun or recording, this would likely not even be remotely as interesting. But once you're playing live, this will be sooo useful.

From my experience, very few basic amp sounds plus some modifications will take you through pretty much any gig (I could elaborate but I don't think it's required for this thread). For these few sounds, it's just incredibly useful to have global control. I have already mentioned this elsewhere, but as an example: Clean sound not loud enough? No problem, turn up the clean channel volume. As easy as it gets with a multichannel analog amp. But once these clean sounds are spread over multiple patches, even such a simple task very quickly becomes completely (!) impossible. Select patch, turn clean amp up, save. Select next patch, turn clean amp up, save. Repeat for any number of patches using clean sounds. Along this, you would have to remember how much you turned things up. Ok, soundcheck is over (and you've already spent all soundcheck time on adjusting clean channel levels...), the show is on. During the first tune you notice that you turned the clean channel up too much - well, game over, you will *never* manage to re-do all these patch modifications during a gig. Again, with an analog amp, I'd have a chord ring out, turn around to my amp and turn the volume knob down a bit. Mission accomplished.

If you want to overcome this with the Helix, so far your only option is to use as little patches as possible (in my case exactly one per gig). As a result, you have to stuff all kinds of things into these patches. Which makes controlling them tougher (running out of footswitches and snapshots, way more block navigation required should you want to tweak things, etc.). Plus, you're losing options. There's might be just enough juice/blocks for the phaser but the flanger has to stay out - unless you could use another patch. Which would result in - well - see above.

There's also some further things that would be a lot easier. Let's say you have just managed to come up with a patch list for a certain gig. You'd only be using two amps all throughout (same settings, too). Now, all of a sudden you may notice that your dirt amp would work a whole lot better with another cab/IR. As is, you would have to enter each patch, reassign the cab, resave. Just to find out the old IR was the better choice...

As someone that uses it for live work most of the time ,this makes complete sense to me too.

Would definitely make life a lot easier on stage .