guitars69

PowerCab 212 Line 6 Link Bug?

Found an intermittent possible bug in the PowerCab 212 when daisy chaining two together with a Helix.  I was able to reproduce almost 100% for a bit while writing this up, but then sometimes I can’t.

————

Steps:

Connect guitar to Helix

Connect Helix Line 6 Link out to PowerCab 1 Line 6 Link in using an AES/EBU cable

Connect Line 6 Link Out on PowerCab 1 to PowerCab 2 Line 6 Link in

Power Helix On, then PowerCab 1, then PowerCab 2.

Turn volume up in both PowerCabs to half, and turn up the volume on the Helix to whatever.  Make sure both have sound.

Turn the volume on PowerCab 1 down to zero and verify PowerCab 2 still has sound.

Mute the guitar.  Continuing to play appears to negate the issue.

Turn the volume on PowerCab 2 down to zero and wait 5+ seconds.

Turn the volume on PowerCab 2 back up and wait 5+ seconds.

Now try to play guitar.

Result?  

No audio.  No signal indicators on the PowerCab 2.  PowerCab 1 appears to stop sending signal.  Green signal lights appear on PowerCab 1, and turning the volume up works.  Restarting PowerCab 2 does not restore audio.  You must restart PowerCab 1, and then audio on PowerCab 2 will work again.

——————

I tried swapping the order of the PowerCabs in the signal chain and got the same result.  Whichever amp is in the middle of the Helix and the other stops sending signal when the volume is set to zero, and nothing comes in to the amp for a bit, but only if the second cab is also set to zero briefly.

—————

This is a minor issue, but may you have to restart your PowerCabs between sound check and your show.  Or make sure you never set the volume to zero on the amps themselves.

Ran into this the first few times I played with the amps live, and thought maybe I had to start them in a certain order.  I was playing withy two amps today and investigating a new rattle, and I’ve figured out what’s actually going on for this problem.

I have been Having same Trouble with 2 Powercab Plus 1X12's, no sound from cab 2...... Have been just using one cab at gigs...... I will say one cab is loud enough but i have two

to use....... My original thought was one for me and one i could aim more towards the rest of the band.........

On 3/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, tooloudtoobad said:

I have been Having same Trouble with 2 Powercab Plus 1X12's, no sound from cab 2...... Have been just using one cab at gigs...... I will say one cab is loud enough but i have two

to use....... My original thought was one for me and one i could aim more towards the rest of the band.........

Yeah I use two, one on each side of stage.  Makes us less reliant on floor monitors.

Glad to hear it's happening in other cabs, and not just mine. 

Simple enough to fix, and avoid, as long as you know what's going on at least.

I tried the turning on order and it did work at home, will try at saturday's gig and report back............

Same issue with my Helix and two PC 112 Plus speakers interconnected via L6 link. The second PC+ in the chain stops playing as described by guitars69.

Has anyone reported this to support? I only have one PC112+, but thinking about another. Be nice to know what support says about it......

No, I only posted here.  Figured support looks at these, but perhaps that's incorrect.  Will forward this to them directly I suppose.

I suspect the problem is that the Line6 link was intended to support two Powercab 112’s and automatically detect the second Powercab 112 and switch to stereo. But if you’re using wto Powercab 212s, these are already stereo and might be confusing Line6 link.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:16 PM, amsdenj said:

I suspect the problem is that the Line6 link was intended to support two Powercab 112’s and automatically detect the second Powercab 112 and switch to stereo. But if you’re using wto Powercab 212s, these are already stereo and might be confusing Line6 link.

Someone above said they have two 112's and have the same issue.  So I don't think that's it.  Seems more like turning the volume down on the 2nd cab causes the L6 Link to think a second was disconnected maybe. 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:28 PM, VlastimilVostrak said:

Same issue with my Helix and two PC 112 Plus speakers interconnected via L6 link. The second PC+ in the chain stops playing as described by guitars69.

The 212's each switch to mono, so that the dual cab set up is in stereo, but each cab is just one side.  I didn't test if it switches the first cab back to stereo if the second cab is lost.

FYI support has been notified and they've passed the issue on to QA to test.