Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compression gain reduction meters "on the editor" ?

spikey

1st things 1st, I appreciate the work on the patch to add the meters.

This is another "request" for adding to the Helix "HX-Editor", and no, this time it's not a tuner... ; )

Sorry if I missed this if it has been requested already. I'd like those meters put on the Editor.

Why? Because my Helix is across the room and I'd like to see them working from my desktop editor.

Look I know some of you couldn't care less about the new meters and that's fine, just don't look at um.

But for those like me who wish to see and verify what the compressor is doing, Id like them to be more accessible.

An "eye- opener" for me was watching Jason Sadites video - which showed me why I never had these compressor settings right in the first place.

That also showed me why I need to not only hear, but see what Im hearing as well to verify what I am hearing.

I want those meters on my editor. If you have not watched this, do so.

37 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

The Hx Edit "talks" to Helix hardware with simple json commands. Is it probably hard to implement heavy data trasmission required for such a visualisation with that method.

Ya know, at one point wayyyyy back it was stated here that alternate tunings were not possible for the Variax too. ; )

If it is possible I'd like to see it done, of course with a "turn-off" option in the menus for those that dont want/need it.

I like to "see" them too!  Unfortunately, that's never going to happen until they find a way to get them on HX Edit as well.  I would trade that update for all the amps/pedals they could possibly come up with in the future combined.  The metering is a great idea and what Line6 did certainly doesn't hurt anything or anybody, but it's still useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle otherwise unless you LIKE getting down on your hands and knees to edit your presets.  Personally I'll reserve that position for prayer that Line6 will find a way to get them on the Editor!  It's way above my pay grade, but it SEEMS completely doable since they were able to include live input/output metering in Native.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLondon said:

but it SEEMS completely doable since they were able to include live input/output metering in Native

The visualization part isn’t the challenge. It’s the way data is communicated back and forth between Helix and HX Edit. The live I/O metering in Native is apples & oranges compared to linking real-time data from Helix to HX Edit. To have a useful real-time tuner or metering in HX Edit requires a rapid, low-latency data stream which apparently isn’t the basis on how HX Edit was originally designed.

In the meantime, if you’re already editing at your desk on your computer, why not just get a spare chair or stool and put the Helix up on that, if you can’t see the meters at ground level? Meters in HX Edit would of course be best, but there are plenty of easy solutions to this that only require limited creativity and slight inconvenience.

2 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Meters in HX Edit would of course be best, but there are plenty of easy solutions to this that only require limited creativity and slight inconvenience.

Agreed. So until we get the meters in the editor I'll find me a comfy stool to sit on.  ; )

I would also like to see the gain reduction meters in HX Edit... although I do understand the communication might be too limited to do so. 

I am more disappointed in the fact that there are no gain reduction meters in Helix Native. The studio is where I require them most. 

3 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I am more disappointed in the fact that there are no gain reduction meters in Helix Native. The studio is where I require them most. 

I imagine they don't think it necessary as Native already has visual displays of input and output levels built in. If it's running hot it shows up red on the Native VU meters, although that doesn't show how much the signal is being squeezed on the compressors.

22 minutes ago, datacommando said:

I imagine they don't think it necessary as Native already has visual displays of input and output levels built in. If it's running hot it shows up red on the Native VU meters, although that doesn't show how much the signal is being squeezed on the compressors.

Would luv to see Native meters in HX edit - I thought that was going to be there - guess not

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

I imagine they don't think it necessary as Native already has visual displays of input and output levels built in. If it's running hot it shows up red on the Native VU meters, although that doesn't show how much the signal is being squeezed on the compressors.

I fully understand the lack of I/O meters in Native because it has always had that.... 

Gain reduction meters is what I am referring to.... the ones on the compressors. They are a wonderful tool for compression, and most (if not all) studio hardware and plug in compressors have gain reductions meters.... having them absent from Native after this update is odd. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...