Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Update Worth The Purchase

musicimpossible

I purchased the Helix when it first came out. I was excited about the functionality with the Helix. Unfortunately I wasn’t impressed enough with the realism and I ended up selling it. It was just missing something on the Guitar sides. I thought some of the bass tones were good.
Are any of you with the original version (prior to the update) impressed enough with the cab, mic placement, amp, and effects updates to keep your unit? I have a feeling that the mic placement update will be the key to have unlocked what I thought was potential in the original unit. 

On 2/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, musicimpossible said:

Are any of you with the original version (prior to the update) impressed enough with the cab, mic placement, amp, and effects updates to keep your unit?

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure that I understand exactly what you are asking here?

For me the simple answer is, I have owned my Helix floor since 2015 used it almost daily and updated the firmware on every occasion. The hardware hasn't changed, only the software that runs inside it, which just keeps getting better and better.

If you're asking for advice on whether you should buy another Helix, then the only person who can decide that is you!

Here's a fairly easy way to evaluate if you want to know how the Helix is sounding currently - download the Helix Native plugin and try it out for 15 days free.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

Had mine since 2016. The combination of the addition of Snapshots, CommandCenter, the new cabs and the higher resolution made Helix a whole new experience IMO.

The creation of Native eliminates the previously tedious re-amping process.

And they're not done improving it.

Yes, it's worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, musicimpossible said:

purchased the Helix when it first came out...

... Unfortunately I wasn’t impressed enough with the realism and I ended up selling it.

Firmware 3.5 is a giant leap forward compared to the earlier versions. I don't know when you sold... but aside from the additional "amps/effects/& now cabs", they have added dozens of features under the hood that thoroughly improve functionality.

I bought my Helix in late 2018 when the current version was V2.6... and 3.5 is a MASSIVE leap forward from that. 

• Upvote 1

"Are any of you with the original version (prior to the update) impressed enough with the cab"
All Helix units receive the update. No one should be running old firmware IMO.

I bought mine a few months before the 3.5 update came out. Before I was slightly disappointed with the realism. After, it was perfect! the new built in cabs and microphone settings sound a million times better. And the new ambient reverb is a must have to make it sound like a real amp in the room.

On 2/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, musicimpossible said:

I purchased the Helix when it first came out. I was excited about the functionality with the Helix. Unfortunately I wasn’t impressed enough with the realism and I ended up selling it. It was just missing something on the Guitar sides. I thought some of the bass tones were good.
Are any of you with the original version (prior to the update) impressed enough with the cab, mic placement, amp, and effects updates to keep your unit? I have a feeling that the mic placement update will be the key to have unlocked what I thought was potential in the original unit. 

Yes.. and no..

To sum it up, prior to the the 3.5 update, I didn't use any stock cabs because they were just dull sounding compared to IR's. After 3.5, I can use blended cabs and on some of my presets it sounds better than the IR's, so from that perspective, the update has produced cabs and mic options that can give you a pleasing fuller sound - I'm talking high gain by the way as that is the area that has always been a bit lacking in the Helix - but some presets I've left the IR's in, so I think the cabs are good now if you get the right combination. It's not an instant fix.

Whether that makes the Helix worth a buy is something I can't fully answer except to say yes and no lol. I will say that my high gain tones have massively improved on the Helix over the last couple of years and I've managed to coax some very nice sounds out of it, but it required a lot of learning and experimenting, it doesn't really come out of the box like that. I don't think any of the modelers particularly do from what I've heard.

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, musicimpossible said:

Guy who just re-bought a Helix chiming in - I really like the new cabs and the engine. What makes a tone "good" is in the ears of the beholder tho. These are just a ton of IR's with a more intuitive interface than scrolling through lists at the end of the day. Whether or not you like the sounds of those IR's is totally up to you. I've tried plenty of IR's people claimed were amazing that sounded like absolute lollipop to me, so you COULD have a similar experience these. But I think most would agree the new cabs and interface are a huge improvement in both sound quality and workability if that's what you're after. FWIW, I still tend to use a tried and true IR for most of my stuff but it's just personal taste. I'd be set with the new cab engine if it's all I had. Will it unlock the full potential of the Helix for you? Maybe?

The Helix always had a lot of potential. Some of us reached it a long time ago but I feel like some of us are just getting there now. The new cab engine is awesome but it's the new Vitriol amp and Plumes OD that IMO brought it up to Fractal's level. If that's the kind of tone you like, those are freaking fantastic! So for me 3.5 sort of unlocked the full potential of the Helix. If you can get a trial version of Native I'd do that first and see if you can dial in some sounds you like. That's what really unlocked the Helix's full potential for my needs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:23 AM, mattbarden said:

it's the new Vitriol amp and Plumes OD that IMO brought it up to Fractal's level.

Not tried the Plumes but do you find the Vitriol quite trebly? I haven't decided on how to dial that in yet. Cutting highs and rolling back treble doesn't always produce a golden tone but I would be interested to hear anyone who has got that one working nicely.

I know it's subjective and probably sounds different on each guitar etc but I'm always trying to get the amp sims to sound throaty without boomy bottom end, with a nice cutting edge - and lively, aggressive bite etc which normally involves having the treble up a bit of course

On 2/21/2023 at 7:07 AM, Paulzx said:

Not tried the Plumes but do you find the Vitriol quite trebly? I haven't decided on how to dial that in yet.

It's a little trebly but in a way I like. My Schecter with EMG's sounds really good with it almost at stock settings. My LTD with EMG's is a bit darker sounding through the same patch but also in a way I like. 

I use the cab cuts and I also have a Horizon Gate and a lo/hi cut EQ right after my cab/IR block. Those are what I typically use to tame the harsher frequencies on most of the Helix models.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:47 AM, mattbarden said:

I use the cab cuts and I also have a Horizon Gate and a lo/hi cut EQ right after my cab/IR block. Those are what I typically use to tame the harsher frequencies on most of the Helix models.

Also consider setting a parametric stage to a narrow cut, with a sharp Q. Slowly vary the filter frequency, and see if a specific frequency reduces the harshness. With most amps, it's around 2 to 4 kHz.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, musicimpossible said:

"When it first came out" was almost 8 years ago... there have been numerous updates/ improvements since the original firmware. So much so, it's almost like a different device. That being said, whether or not you'll like this iteration any better than what you had back then, is anybody's guess... and there's exactly one way to find out.

• Upvote 1