Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts/recommendations: Alway-on pedal in front of Helix for "feel"

benriddell

Firstly, is it true or a myth that having an analogue always-on pedal (clean boost, line driver, EQ etc.) before a Helix actually makes it a better playing experience? I already have a Peterson Stobostomp tuner and Dunlop Junior Wah in front of my Helix Rack but they're not always left on

I'd like to hear other's views on the matter, what they used or have tried, and also if you had to do anything different with your presets, mainly with the input impedence setting and fuzz/treble boost type effects. I considered getting an Xotic Super Clean but now I'm doubting myself and got that "it'll just be a waste of money" thought in my head

Thanks in advance

Ben

I don't know about whether it makes it a better playing experience in any way, but I do keep a JHS morning glory in front of my HX Stomp on my pedal board.  I like the overdrive sound of that pedal and it can be kind of a boost with its two drive channels.  If you have a pedal you like (or want) that isn't represented in the Helix, you should go for it... but I definitely wouldn't buy a pedal just to have one there.

Its someone's truth.

Only you will know what works for you as this is entirely subjective, and it sounds like you're looking for affirmation on your need to satisfy GAS.

May your pedal choices be sound ones!

The Xotic Super Clean manual shows the frequency curves of the different modes. It's a high shelf.

Try the Tilt EQ with Brt100, CenFreq ~3.5kHz, Level +6db. [alternatively: Low/High Shelf with HiGain +12dB and HiFreq ~1.8kHz].

Vary the CenFrq [HiFreq] a little to emulate the Low Mid Boost or High Mid Boost modes.

This reminds me of what a bright cap does to the sound.

*The optional bass boost is LoGain +4.5dB and LoFreq 80Hz btw.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:21 PM, benriddell said:

Firstly, is it true or a myth that having an analogue always-on pedal (clean boost, line driver, EQ etc.) before a Helix actually makes it a better playing experience? I already have a Peterson Stobostomp tuner and Dunlop Junior Wah in front of my Helix Rack but they're not always left on

I'd like to hear other's views on the matter, what they used or have tried, and also if you had to do anything different with your presets, mainly with the input impedence setting and fuzz/treble boost type effects. I considered getting an Xotic Super Clean but now I'm doubting myself and got that "it'll just be a waste of money" thought in my head

Thanks in advance

Ben

There is no objective truth to be found here. Everything about what we do with regard to tone is entirely subjective. There's nothing universal about perception, and nothing that you can measure or prove about what this rig or that rig "feels like" to play. You can either hear a difference between two set-ups or you can't, and you either like it or you don't.

And best of all, nobody's "right" or "wrong". Figure out what works for you, and do it... who cares if anyone else agrees? It's a process that requires experimentation... and that means spending time (and probably some money) figuring it out... there's no way around that. Then get used to the fact that perception is notoriously fickle, and dependent upon any of a thousand variables... you might love your tone one day and hate it the next, even if the only thing that's actually changed is the date on the calendar.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know about the impedance statement being totally correct. I use like 6 drive pedals including two fuzz in front of Helix and the sound does change when changing impedance no matter if clinically correct. I do however now use almost always on Fjord Fuzz Loke for the tape like drive now. Wonderful tool.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:50 PM, acousticglue said:

I dont know about the impedance statement being totally correct. I use like 6 drive pedals including two fuzz in front of Helix and the sound does change when changing impedance no matter if clinically correct. I do however now use almost always on Fjord Fuzz Loke for the tape like drive now. Wonderful tool.

Sascha talked about "always on" pedals. I don't think your two fuzz pedals are always on. Also many fuzz pedals are "true bypass" - those don't change the input impedance when bypassed.

• Like 1