Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

eq loaded....No go

lawrence_Arps

I suggest you raise a support ticket with Line 6 directly and ask them to help you trouble shoot it.   As this has just been released they need to be made aware of all issues and they will most likely be able to resolve it quickly for you.

so update went fine...everything looks as it should.  Global EQ is there and I can edit it (and turn it on and off) but its not actually doing anything.  Ive checked this with very extreme settings etc.  HD500X runs to L3ms via line 6 link.

any ideas?

I'll have to double-check, but I'm 95% sure Global EQ is applied to only the 1/4", XLR, PHONES, (EDIT: and S/PDIF) outputs. As L6 LINK outputs can be tapped from multiple places in the signal flow, it would require a duplicate Global EQ block for each of the four L6 LINK outputs. A lot of optimization was done to squeeze in a single stereo Global EQ without affecting everyone's presets, and four additional channels of Global EQ was just never going to fit.

Sorry.

I'll have to double-check, but I'm 95% sure Global EQ is applied to only the 1/4", XLR, and PHONES outputs. 

uggg.... that SUCKS! The L6 link is typically used mostly for LIVE use and the global EQ is really only useful for LIVE use.  Please let us know if you can confirm.  For the Dream rig that makes global EQ completely useless. Guess time to get a EQ pedal to put in the DT effects loop for global EQ.

• Upvote 1

uggg.... that SUCKS! The L6 link is typically used mostly for LIVE use and the global EQ is really only useful for LIVE use.  Please let us know if you can confirm.  For the Dream rig that makes global EQ completely useless. Guess time to get a EQ pedal to put in the DT effects loop for global EQ.

And nobody thought to mention that ahead of time? Words fail me...

Guess it's 1/4" outs and PA referrence mode only on the L2T, for me. All the DT guys are gonna throw a fit...can't say I blame them. ANybody want to buy a robin's egg blue L6 Link cable? Going cheap...

I'll have to double-check, but I'm 95% sure Global EQ is applied to only the 1/4", XLR, PHONES, (EDIT: and S/PDIF) outputs. As L6 LINK outputs can be tapped from multiple places in the signal flow, it would require a duplicate Global EQ block for each of the four L6 LINK outputs. A lot of optimization was done to squeeze in a single stereo Global EQ without affecting everyone's presets, and four additional channels of Global EQ was just never going to fit.

Sorry.

Isn't the L6 Link L/R output effectively the same as the 1/4"? 

Is it possible to have the Global EQ at least apply to L6 Link L/R output even if it can't be used on other L6 Link output options?

Edit: And another thought - could the GLOBAL EQ be made available as one of the EQ fx options to be used as one of the 8 fx blocks as a stand alone item?  That would certainly be a work around for the users that need it on L6 Link outputs?

I don't have a DT or L-series monitor, but wouldn't the tone controls on the StageSource stuff be your global EQ for "in the room"? I wish the global could be assigned to AVOID the XLR outs so I can EQ my sound on stage without affecting whats hitting the FOH.

If you're running into StageSource, yeah, you could EQ your monitors independently of what's being sent to FOH. Global EQ's routing wasn't designed for this purpose specifically, but StageSource users could consider it a happy accident.

Unfortunately for DT users—yeah, Global EQ doesn't apply to L6 LINK outputs. Confirmed. Again, this is due to L6 LINK's flexible output routing—POD HD would need six channels of Global EQ for this to work.

There may be a way to shoehorn the existing Global EQ between L6 LINK > Master L/R in the future (will have to ask), but it's obviously not going to happen in FW 2.6.

Funny - just the opposite is the case with the M20d mixer. The 31-band graphic equalizer (global) is only available using L6 LINK. It is not available on the XLR outputs. We can all have equal opportunity to complain about what's missing. M20d owners can complain about not having the global EQ when they are NOT using L6 LINK, and Pod HD owners can complain about not having it when they ARE.

But global EQ on the Pod HDs is something that has been requested by many users for a long time, and now it's here. Credit where credit is due. And it's available for Stagesource speaker owners if you connect the Pod HD to the speaker via the analog outputs/inputs. All you lose is the ability to store the speaker mode in the HD preset - which is irrelevant if you want to use the Pod HD global EQ because in that case you don't want to change the speaker mode (and associated EQ) in any case.

I don't have a DT or L-series monitor, but wouldn't the tone controls on the StageSource stuff be your global EQ for "in the room"? I wish the global could be assigned to AVOID the XLR outs so I can EQ my sound on stage without affecting whats hitting the FOH.

Not if you're connected via L6 Link...the onboard EQ does nothing in that case, I've tried it. So yes, if you run into the 1/4" channel ins, you could use that EQ, but you lose the ability to control the Stagesources' various modes (electric guitar, acoustic gutiar, PA reference mode, etc.) from the POD.

Also, when using the L2T as a monitor, the EQ panel is underneath, facing the floor...makes it rather difficult to adjust anything on the fly. Not impossible, just not easy to get at.

For StageSource maybe for the DT the patch changes the EQ settings on the amp too so no go.

Unfortunately for DT users—yeah, Global EQ doesn't apply to L6 LINK outputs. Confirmed. Again, this is due to L6 LINK's flexible output routing—POD HD would need six channels of Global EQ for this to work.

There may be a way to shoehorn the existing Global EQ between L6 LINK > Master L/R in the future (will have to ask), but it's obviously not going to happen in FW 2.6.

Yea well FW 2.6 won't help any DT users. Just a thought for future FW. The looper is on every track and not all that useful. I could deal with swapping out the lopper for global EQ, if you needed extra DSP on the POD for it.

. So yes, if you run into the 1/4" channel ins, you could use that EQ, but you lose the ability to control the Stagesources' various modes (electric guitar, acoustic gutiar, PA reference mode, etc.) from the POD.

But would you want to? The speaker mode settings are essentially different EQs. So after having gone to the trouble of fine tuning your Pod HD global EQ do you want to have it further affected by speaker mode? I don't know - just asking.

....I could deal with swapping out the lopper for global EQ, if you needed extra DSP on the POD for it.

I don't think the looper uses any noticeable DSP. It uses memory. It's just a recorder that taps into the DSP signal chain and writes the signal to memory, and then feeds it back into the DSP chain on playback. It's a signal routing feature, not a signal processing feature.

I don't think the looper uses any noticeable DSP. It uses memory. It's just a recorder that taps into the DSP signal chain and writes the signal to memory, and then feeds it back into the DSP chain on playback. It's a signal routing feature, not a signal processing feature.

oh well just a thought for L6.

ha.  Im not moaning about this as such - but its ironic that the only time I use line 6 link  for my HD500X is when Im NOT using the M20D mixer - e.g. when we play through other peoples rigs and I take L3ms or L2ms as my stage rig.  The M series speakers don't have EQ available....how ironic.

Guess Ill stop using the Link and set up another set of analog cables.  Oh well.

But would you want to? The speaker mode settings are essentially different EQs. So after having gone to the trouble of fine tuning your Pod HD global EQ do you want to have it further affected by speaker mode? I don't know - just asking.

Personally, no...I'll just stop using the L6 Link connection. But I'll bet money there's somebody out there who's spent hours on end tweaking some patches for "electric" mode, and some for "acoustic", and was used to being able to switch with the POD, who will now be cranky about it. Won't affect my abillity to use the rig...I just have a $60 cable that I now won't use (that color is hideous anyway...I won't miss it, lol). I've blown lots more money on worse things, :P. I'll live...

...... But I'll bet money there's somebody out there who's spent hours on end tweaking some patches for "electric" mode, and some for "acoustic", and was used to being able to switch with the POD, who will now be cranky about it. ...

Those folks likely won't want to use the global EQ. It would undo their hours on end of tweaking to get the tone to sound the way it does with the heavily EQed speaker mode. Add the Global EQ to that and it's back to tweaking.

Those folks likely won't want to use the global EQ. It would undo their hours on end of tweaking to get the tone to sound the way it does with the heavily EQed speaker mode. Add the Global EQ to that and it's back to tweaking.

I thought the main reason people were asking for GLOBAL EQ was to allow them to tweak their sound to cater for different venues without having to mess with each and every one of their very carefully crafted patches,  That applies to everyone who is using it to gig regularly in different venues who do not simply trust their sound to the resident soundman, including Dream Rig users utilising different speaker modes for different patches during their performance. Either they miss out on the GLOBAL EQ or they miss out on using different speaker modes and then have to rework all their carefully crafted patches to all work in PA REFERENCE mode.

I understand why it can't be made available to L6 Link outputs due to architectural limitations and that you can work around it by not using the L6 Link, and personally it won't make that much difference to me, but I can also see why some gigging Dream Rig users will be disappointed by this news and the fact that they will be forced to make a choice when they were just expecting to gain the benefit of GLOBAL EQ like everyone else.

Hopefully Line 6 can  provide GLOBAL EQ for the L6 LINK Master L/R output option at some point in the future if it doesn't require a duplicate copy of the GLOBAL EQ active in DSP. I understand why it will never be available on any of the other L6 Link output options, but at least the compromise of having it available on the L6 Link MASTER L/R would avoid excluding Dream Rig users.

• Upvote 1

Sorry.

Oh FFS!  Really?  It's most, pretty much only, useful in a live situation and that for me is L6 Link to a pair of DT25s :( 

PRESS RELEASE – For Immediate Release

Best-Selling Line 6 POD HD Multi-Effects Get Even More Powerful with v.2.6 Firmware

Latest firmware meets key customer requests by providing access to new amp and effects models, and adding global EQ

* Sort of.....

Not a big deal for me 'cause global EQ was very low on my wish list. But the difference between the press release and what actually got released is funny.