Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dead Piezo Pickup?

I received a new JTV69S last night. The guitar was flashed to 2.21 and I immediately rolled it back to 1.9 without even playing the guitar because that's the only firmware I like. I plugged it in, works fine without the modeling but with the modeling on the A string has no sound. I am assuming the piezo pickup is dead for that string? Should I try re-flashing the guitar?

If it indeed is a bad piezo, can I go to a line 6 local service center and get it replaced there or do I have to send in the guitar? If I have to send it in I'd rather not keep it but if it's something that can be fixed locally, I can keep the guitar and get it fixed.

Thoughts?

How about 'guessing' the A string piezo connection is loose in the guitar?

I doubt the digital cable transfer of data would be selective for a specific string.

It works or it has noise, but on all transfers of strings as it just sends a digitally encoded analog signal of your guitar as a whole and not 6 signals for each string.

Unless you already did, check your connector settings in guitar electronics guts. If this does not do anything try to slightly bend the piezo wire while playing the string to possibly identify the weak spot.

• 4 years later...

This thread is more than 4 yrs old. You might get better exposure if you start a new thread.

Having said that, nothing wrong with responding here....

I suggest you open a support ticket to get an informed diagnosis of what the problem might be before (perhaps unnecessarily) taking the guitar apart. If Line 6 says it needs servicing then you can decide whether to send it in or attempt the DIY approach. Warranty considerations may apply.

5 hours ago, paulsmit365 said:

Hi,

I have a Variax Standard with an intermittent 3rd string. When I move the wammy bar the string cuts in and out. Any Ideas? I do electronics for a living so could trouble shoot if required.  Any tips before I take the guitar apart? 

Cheers

Piezos rely on physical contact with the string to function. If it's only happening when using the tremolo, then it's possible that the release of string tension is causing the G string to break contact with the piezo saddle just enough to cause a momentary drop out. Also, in this particular design, the saddle's height adjustment screws need to be in contact with the bridge itself, this is the ground connection...as a result, dirt and grime under the saddle can cause intermittent drop outs too, if the ground connection is tenuous. Tremolo manipulation could easily make that worse and cause the same symptom.

bad grounding between the piezo and the saddle slot due to accumulated dirt..

being careful not to sever its small connected cable gently extract the piezo element from the saddle (you could use adhesive tape to grab it) and clean well both the piezo and its slot in the saddle with isopropyl alcohol or another good cleaner, possibly before reinserting the piezo rotate it 180° to provide a new side of the piezo to the string

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks to all who responded and the great advice. The guitar is out of warranty. so may have a look myself. I do electronics for a living. Have any of you tried the Graphtech pickups? just wondering if they are compatible with the Variax systems?

https://graphtech.com/collections/ghost-pickup-systems-guitar-saddle

https://graphtech.com/pages/ghost-pickup-systems

I replaced the L.R. Baggs piezos with Graphtech several years ago on a Variax 300. I found them to be a noticeable improvement - brighter and louder. However your situation is different - I can't speak to how they compare to the factory Variax Standard piezo.

Hi All,

Followed your advice and removed the bridge, and gently extracted the individual pickups. I sprayed some contact cleaner into the empty saddles and refitted the pickups. All is working now. The small pickups can't be turned round as the little wire enters on the one side. Hopefully this does it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, paulsmit365 said:

Thanks to all who responded and the great advice. The guitar is out of warranty. so may have a look myself. I do electronics for a living. Have any of you tried the Graphtech pickups? just wondering if they are compatible with the Variax systems?

https://graphtech.com/collections/ghost-pickup-systems-guitar-saddle

https://graphtech.com/pages/ghost-pickup-systems

I contacted Graphtech about this and if it's what is in the JTV 89F. This was their response.

1) Yes, the bridge on your JTV 89F is one of our PN-0080-B0 ghost bridges
2) Yes, the saddles on this bridge are of the PN-0080-B6 variety
3) You can purchase the entire saddle (the price would be pro-rated) or simply the inserts themselves. 
4) We don't have printed instructions for this process but I can spell them out very easily. 

If an order interests you, please provide a complete shipping address and I will generate a sales quote for your evaluation.

paulsmit365,

I see the Standard you mentioned on your list, I don't see an 89F. Totally different bridge and saddle. 

None of the Graphtech saddles in those links have piezos, they won't work. Need piezos for the modelling to function.

Doing this yourself is ill advised. Go with a Line 6 authorized service center near you that knows the product.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/