Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is there more stuff inside firehawk 1500 than Helix and cost less?

Paolo_Maina

Why is there more stuff inside firehawk 1500 than Helix and cost less?

LIMITLESS TONES A massive arsenal of HD amps, cabs, and effects.

Firehawk 1500 comes loaded with DSP, so you can create elaborate signal chains and custom presets. Delve into the largest collection of premium HD amp modeling, HD effects modeling and HD cab modeling in the Line 6 family. Choose from over 200 world-class guitar amp models and effects—including 50 HD models, classic POD and XT models, and more. And if that’s not enough, you can access 128 onboard presets designed by artists and Line 6 pros, or unlimited tones in the cloud via the Firehawk Remote app editor. So go ahead—create something truly original that’ll blow your audience away.

I believe all of those models were pre-existing from other products.  They're not the latest high-def Helix models which supposedly each can take up to a month of man-hours to model.  The tone matching already existed as well and I'm sure all of the A/D D/A converters, processors and other hardware in Helix really jack up the price.  All of those inputs and outputs don't come cheap.

Also, a lot of people are going with Helix to lighten up the weight of their gear.

Firehawk 1500 is really cool; it just serves a different purpose.  It also works really well with Helix.

I believe all of those models were pre-existing from other products.  They're not the latest high-def Helix models which supposedly each can take up to a month of man-hours to model.  The tone matching already existed as well and I'm sure all of the A/D D/A converters, processors and other hardware in Helix really jack up the price.  All of those inputs and outputs don't come cheap.

Also, a lot of people are going with Helix to lighten up the weight of their gear.

Firehawk 1500 is really cool; it just serves a different purpose.  It also works really well with Helix.

i hope they will add other effects and amp models in the firmware upgrade of helix. There are also many missing features today for example simple auto volume swell or auto wha.

different purpose? not playing guitar on a stage?

The same reason McDonald's has a bigger menu than a 5-Star restaurant... OK, maybe that analogy isn't quite fair - the Firehawk is, relatively speaking, much better quality than McDonald's. But I think it's the same principle. The Helix represents the cutting edge of Line 6 modeling tech. The Firehawk gives you a broad selection of POD Farm and HD tones. It's not the "latest and greatest" in that regard. It can still sound awesome, for sure.

The same reason McDonald's has a bigger menu than a 5-Star restaurant... OK, maybe that analogy isn't quite fair - the Firehawk is, relatively speaking, much better quality than McDonald's. But I think it's the same principle. The Helix represents the cutting edge of Line 6 modeling tech. The Firehawk gives you a broad selection of POD Farm and HD tones. It's not the "latest and greatest" in that regard. It can still sound awesome, for sure.

I would like to have only a promise that you don't stop to upgrade number of effects and amps of Helix, not only a bug fixing firmware upgrades.

Will you do it?

oops are you a member of line6 company?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would like to have only a promise that you don't stop to upgrade number of effects and amps of Helix, not only a bug fixing firmware upgrades.

Will you do it?

Yes, I promise... Unfortunately my promise doesn't mean anything, as I don't work for Line 6. :)

Seriously, though, you don't need to worry. I do know that Line 6 isn't planning on letting up on developing new stuff for the Helix for a long time.

Yes, I promise... Unfortunately my promise doesn't mean anything, as I don't work for Line 6. :)

Seriously, though, you don't need to worry. I do know that Line 6 isn't planning on letting up on developing new stuff for the Helix for a long time.

i saw the logo and i thought you were one of line6 crew.

sorry

who is the line6 man? Digital igloo? is there somebody else?

i hope they will add other effects and amp models in the firmware upgrade of helix. There are also many missing features today for example simple auto volume swell or auto wha.

1.06 added an Autofilter, which can effectively act as an autowah. I hear ya' on the volume swell tho.'

The reason Helix is $1499 is because A) it took six years to develop and that's a metric ton of R&D, which isn't cheap, and B ) it has a ridiculous amount of expensive hardware inside. We don't make up pricing out of thin air—it's always based on a combination of development and parts costs.

1.06 added an Autofilter, which can effectively act as an autowah. I hear ya' on the volume swell tho.'

The reason Helix is $1499 is because A) it took six years to develop and that's a metric ton of R&D, which isn't cheap, and B ) it has a ridiculous amount of expensive hardware inside. We don't make up pricing out of thin air—it's always based on a combination of development and parts costs.

Hello how are you? i hope fine.

So will you add other effects and amps inside helix?

For example i'm left handed so i can't buy Variax guitar and i'd like to have and acoustic guitar simulation inside Helix (like when i owned Boss GT001).

I bought a Greg Delaune organ simulation patch he did a great job.

He made a very complicated patch to achive the sound using the the avaiable blocks.

It sounds good but could be better something made by line6.

it gives a glance of a specific potential taylored factory patch.

[..]

I bought a Greg Delaune organ simulation patch he did a great job.

He made a very complicated patch to achive the sound using the the avaiable blocks.

It sounds good but could be better something made by line6.

it gives a glance of a specific potential taylored factory patch.

Yeah, Glenn DeLaune creates very practical and good sounding presets, I think.

I wouldn't call the (organ) patch 'complicated' - he used the possibilities of the helix quite smart and clearly.

But the helix is not a 'preset slingshot' in the first place; you can you use it much more individually and creatively ;)

• Upvote 1

It would be great if some time in the future, there would be also some "lower quality" versions of effects and amps.

While not as accurate or possibly not as good sounding, they would provide the option to use them in situations, where it's more important to get one more effect in the signal chain than the uber quality.

So, low resource versions of FX are useful too.

Maybe it's just not the way Helix works...

Yeah, Glenn DeLaune creates very practical and good sounding presets, I think.

I wouldn't call the (organ) patch 'complicated' - he used the possibilities of the helix quite smart and clearly.

But the helix is not a 'preset slingshot' in the first place; you can you use it much more individually and creatively ;)

He's a genius! it was a big challenge to create an organ, but he did he tried and failed 2 times before the success (he told so in the video)

Other patches are "normal" but the organ it's a great job, he thinked out of the box.

Great immagination.

It would be great if some time in the future, there would be also some "lower quality" versions of effects and amps.

You can have that now. Pick up a used POD 2.0 or Pocket Pod at a bargain price and stick in the Helix FX Loop.

• Upvote 1

You can have that now. Pick up a used POD 2.0 or Pocket Pod at a bargain price and stick in the Helix FX Loop.

Good idea actually. I'll check out the prices.

Would be convenient in one device though and might have more control over them.

EDIT: Patch sharing wouldn't work otherwise. There's some benefit having it all in one device.

• 2 weeks later...

For Pete's sake, just buy the dang Helix. Reading between the lines is one thing, but read the "lines" with all the rave reviews that describe what you can do with this thing.

You'll love it!

While not as accurate or possibly not as good sounding, they would provide the option to use them in situations, where it's more important to get one more effect in the signal chain than the uber quality.

So, low resource versions of FX are useful too.

Maybe it's just not the way Helix works...

I can't ever see most Helix users wanting or using this. It would be like putting a Pinto engine inside a classic Mustang just because it fits. I think what you will see though is that as things go on they will find ways to optimize DSP that will allow some effects to use less processing and free up more memory. Keep in mind this is all new. We have just begun to see the Helix.

I can't ever see most Helix users wanting or using this. It would be like putting a Pinto engine inside a classic Mustang just because it fits. I think what you will see though is that as things go on they will find ways to optimize DSP that will allow some effects to use less processing and free up more memory. Keep in mind this is all new. We have just begun to see the Helix.

That would be even better of course.

I can't ever see most Helix users wanting or using this. 

I can, because this is an FRFR WATT heavy cab thats just made for Helix tones (on purpose or not), as well as a very nice stand alone amp that can hold its own too if and when needed. Both will be updated, and who's knows what might be added later. It can only get better from here.  :D

and it sounds so darn goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1