Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax - Line 6 Up To It?

There's just something about the promise of "One Rig Does All!" that I LOVE! I bought into it. The #1 part of the PROMISE . . . well, in my view, the JTV. What a GREAT looking guitar that is. Well, I'm talking about MINE! A JTV-89F, Blood Red! OMG! Beautiful! Where is it now? It still looks GREAT (I think). But the "local" Line 6 authorized repair shop has had it for probably 2 months (or more - yeah, the kewl stuff that gave it monster tone failed) - and has stopped responding. Once these fail . . . in my case JUST out of warranty . . . Good luck. LINE 6 - Either you are IN the JTV/Standard business, OR YOU ARE OUT. PLEASE - MAKE A CHOICE AND MAKE IT KNOWN! Is my JTV-89F forfeit? Gotta wonder!

Pretty sure going out of business without returning your guitar is theft, regardless.

Yeah, so's insider trading, insurance fraud, and disability scammers who spend their days golfing and doing Tai Chi...and all those things happen regularly, too.

Yeah, so's insider trading, insurance fraud, and disability scammers who spend their days golfing and doing Tai Chi...and all those things happen regularly, too.

Yeah, can't he do anything about it? Wasn't this a "line 6 authorized" place? I'd be having my boot far up L6's lollipop and out their mouth if they weren't going to do anything about something like that.

Yeah, can't he do anything about it? Wasn't this a "line 6 authorized" place? I'd be having my boot far up L6's lollipop and out their mouth if they weren't going to do anything about something like that.

OK, so let's say that this is actually what happened, despite the fact that we're all just guessing. What is L6 supposed to do? Send out a team of goons to "investigate", and/or reclaim some 3rd party's property? It simply isn't their problem. They've got no control over a privately owned business, beyond revoking their "authorized service center" status, which means little enough as it is...roughly on par with taking away their library card.

Wouldn't be the first time a business went belly-up and the owner abandoned both ship and consequences...the world is full of scammers.

What can he do?

Option 1:

Go all "Thunderdome". Scour the ends of the earth, laying waste to everything in his path until he locates his guitar. Satisfying in a righteous indignation sort of way, but will likely create bigger problems.

Option 2:

If the place actually folded up the tents and disappeared in the dead of night, file a police report. Perhaps not as much fun as the scorched earth, 80's Mel Gibson approach, but he'll stay out of jail himself...

Option 3:

Cut his losses, and proceed to Ibanez...or any other pointy, shred-tastic guitar of his choosing ;)

I think I would be calling local law enforcement for an issue like this, as I think that's the only way I suspect you'll be able to track these down. As others have pretty much said, being an authorized service center doesn't really tie this business to Line 6 in any way other than the fact that it means they have a technician or two on staff that has undergone whatever training or certification Line 6 requires to do authorized repairs. It's the same sort of thing as a store being an authorized Line 6 dealer. Line 6 can't really control what that store does.

Hopefully this isn't a disappearing shop issue, but we have seen this before where an "authorized" line 6 repair shop, can't seem to get things fixed in a timely manner or does a very poor job in other threads in the past.  Hopefully you will get your 89F back in working order.

I don't see where he said they were out of business. Just that they stopped responding and still have the guitar. I would just go in and ask to see my guitar. I have had very good and very bad experiences with Line 6 "authorized" dealers. I know who to go to and who not to go to in my area.

I don't see where he said they were out of business. Just that they stopped responding and still have the guitar. I would just go in and ask to see my guitar. I have had very good and very bad experiences with Line 6 "authorized" dealers. I know who to go to and who not to go to in my area.

He didn't. It's all speculation...but one does have to wonder why his first stop wasn't the place he left the guitar. After 2 or 3 ignored phone calls, I'd appear in person to find out what's going on. This forum ain't gonna help you in this scenario.

It makes me wonder if some of us have gotten to the point where the world only exists on the interwebs? These forums are great for sharing info and when you are somewhat isolated but at some point you have to go into the real world and deal with it. Go down to the shop you took it to and talk to them maybe. I think I would be willing to pay a little extra and send it to Line 6 for repair.