Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing guitars

Talamasca

Hi everyone

Please forgive how utterly stupid this question may appear but hey ho. I couldn't actually find this anywhere...so I feel even more stupid for asking BUT, when changing guitars it's ok to just either turn the volume right down on the Helix or the monitors say when recording and then just unplug and re-plug..yeah? I know it sounds stupid but with it being a recording interface etc I would hate to damage anything, but turning it on and off to change just makes no sense either. I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is fine..it's a tour grade piece of road gear. Just, well I thought i'd ask.

Thanks.

Hi everyone

Please forgive how utterly stupid this question may appear but hey ho. I couldn't actually find this anywhere...so I feel even more stupid for asking BUT, when changing guitars it's ok to just either turn the volume right down on the Helix or the monitors say when recording and then just unplug and re-plug..yeah? I know it sounds stupid but with it being a recording interface etc I would hate to damage anything, but turning it on and off to change just makes no sense either. I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is fine..it's a tour grade piece of road gear. Just, well I thought i'd ask.

Thanks.

Put the tuner on dumbass. It's mutes everything :p

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Put the tuner on dumbass. It's mutes everything 

Do you really enjoy doing this? Ignorance is bliss for some but you seem to enjoy it more than most johnonguitar. Please knock it off.

To the OP. The only issue u might have in swapping guitars is popping the monitors when plugging in. Just turn Helix down, turn the faders on your recorder down. That should work fine. There are no stupid questions here  Talamasca!

I typically just mute the volume with the volume pedal, but tuner can work to. You're not going to hurt anything by unplugging and plugging in a guitar even without muting anything, though. You just might make you bandmates give you a mean look...

True man :D

I just find it easier to use the expression pedal for volume, like I said I new it was dumb....I just had to ask it was eating away at me...had become way more important than it actually was!

Thanks.

I'm just messing with you man but yeah the tuners a good way :) make sure it is muted somehow though because blown speakers can happen when plugging/unplugging

• Upvote 2

Not very likely at all...

Not entirely sure what the ellipses insinuated but yes, it is a cause of blown speakers. Obviously this is volume dependent it but to tell anyone, especially someone who seems to be closer to the beginning of their quest for knowledge in all things guitar that it is safe is very poor advice.

No matter what you're plugging in it is good practice to always have the channel you're plugging into muted in some way or other. Be it a guitar amp, a line in on a mixer or anything else. The same way that it is important to turn mixers and speakers etc on in the correct order.

Unlikely? Yes. Does it happen? Yes. Is it completely avoidable? Absolutely

• Upvote 1

Not entirely sure what the ellipses insinuated but yes, it is a cause of blown speakers. Obviously this is volume dependent it but to tell anyone, especially someone who seems to be closer to the beginning of their quest for knowledge in all things guitar that it is safe is very poor advice.

No matter what you're plugging in it is good practice to always have the channel you're plugging into muted in some way or other. Be it a guitar amp, a line in on a mixer or anything else. The same way that it is important to turn mixers and speakers etc on in the correct order.

Unlikely? Yes. Does it happen? Yes. Is it completely avoidable? Absolutely

All I'm saying is that is much of the apocryphal stuff you hear from sound guys and people hanging out at music stores is pretty much BS (I used to work a music store). There is a very small chance that the pop you get from plugging in a guitar could damage a speaker, but it's probably near zero. The bigger issue is the annoyance of the pop itself.

And I don't need a lecture from you about poor advice, when your first response in this thread was to belittle him.

All I'm saying is that is much of the apocryphal stuff you hear from sound guys and people hanging out at music stores is pretty much BS (I used to work a music store). There is a very small chance that the pop you get from plugging in a guitar could damage a speaker, but it's probably near zero. The bigger issue is the annoyance of the pop itself.

And I don't need a lecture from you about poor advice, when your first response in this thread was to belittle him.

The first response was an attempt at humour. It certainly wasn't an attempt to belittle him. Maybe a lecture in friendly banter would be a better fit

And I'm very sorry you felt you were being lectured, and I was trying to be polite, but now I'm going to have to flat out say your advice is utterly moronic and should not be listened to whatsoever. Working in a guitar shop does not make you an authority on this issue and the "sound guys" you are referring to probably know a lot more about it than you so maybe it is then you should believe.

Every single blown speaker I've ever had in an amp, be it a rehearsal space, loaners or anything I've worked at has been down to a cable being accidentally grounded while the amp had been at volume. (That pop sound you hear is the cable grounding to the input jack surround for anyone who may be reading this and isn't aware)

• Upvote 1

.... but now I'm going to have to flat out say your advice is utterly moronic and should not be listened to whatsoever. .....

Hmmm... let's see. A guy with 45 posts, many of which are offensive in some way as reflected by his -14 reputation points, tells another guy with over 7K posts and more than 3K positive reputation points, that his advice is moronic. I know who my money's on!

The first response was an attempt at humour. It certainly wasn't an attempt to belittle him. Maybe a lecture in friendly banter would be a better fit

And I'm very sorry you felt you were being lectured, and I was trying to be polite, but now I'm going to have to flat out say your advice is utterly moronic and should not be listened to whatsoever. Working in a guitar shop does not make you an authority on this issue and the "sound guys" you are referring to probably know a lot more about it than you so maybe it is then you should believe.

Every single blown speaker I've ever had in an amp, be it a rehearsal space, loaners or anything I've worked at has been down to a cable being accidentally grounded while the amp had been at volume. (That pop sound you hear is the cable grounding to the input jack surround for anyone who may be reading this and isn't aware)

My advice was the same as yours - turn the volume down. But, I still don't think there's much chance of actually damaging anything by unplugging and plugging in hot, especially when we're talking about guitar amps, not huge PA systems. Of course, if the amp is cranked, it can be bad, if done repeatedly. And I do think it's best practice to simply mute the input before plugging and unplugging.

I'm just saying that the occasional accidental unplugging or plugging in while it isn't something to lose sleep over. If it were all that dangerous, we'd see damaged gear all over the place, all the time.

Hmmm... let's see. A guy with 45 posts, many of which are offensive in some way as reflected by his -14 reputation points, tells another guy with over 7K posts and more than 3K positive reputation points, that his advice is moronic. I know who my money's on!

Really? Look if you want to believe him about what causes blown speakers and how dangerous it is to your gear then that's ok. If 7k posts on an Internet forum is all the credentials you need then that's cool too. Have a good day dude

• Upvote 1

Really? Look if you want to believe him about what causes blown speakers and how dangerous it is to your gear then that's ok. If 7k posts on an Internet forum is all the credentials you need then that's cool too. Have a good day dude

Ooh, ooh! Tell the story about your credentials again. I haven't been awed yet today...;)

• Upvote 1

Do you disagree with what I said?

I don't know if you've noticed, but your feedback score is probably reflective of how your statements are received around here, sir. (-17 as of this moment)

I think when you think you're being sarcastic (and I'm sure you mean to be) you are being perceived as being rude and offensive.

If you'd like to hang around a while, perhaps you could re-examine your tone. Calling someone a "dumbass" is not the best way to go.

Jus' sayin'...

I don't know if you've noticed, but your feedback score is probably reflective of how your statements are received around here, sir. (-17 as of this moment)

I think when you think you're being sarcastic (and I'm sure you mean to be) you are being perceived as being rude and offensive.

If you'd like to hang around a while, perhaps you could re-examine your tone. Calling someone a "dumbass" is not the best way to go.

Jus' sayin'...

Dear Peter, thank you for taking time out of your day to lecture another adult on his feedback score from an Internet forum. It is also appreciated that again someone has seen fit to get involved in a conversation between two other adults which seemed, for all intents and purposes to go well.

If OP had a problem with what I said he sure as hell didn't seem to. He seemed to get what can only be described as "banter".

The amount of other grown men getting their panties in a twist over this is utterly flabbergasting. Please keep your opinions on my feedback, manor and forum longevity to yourself in future. Thanks, John

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Dear Peter, thank you for taking time out of your day to lecture another adult on his feedback score from an Internet forum. It is also appreciated that again someone has seen fit to get involved in a conversation between two other adults which seemed, for all intents and purposes to go well.

If OP had a problem with what I said he sure as hell didn't seem to. He seemed to get what can only be described as "banter".

The amount of other grown men getting their panties in a twist over this is utterly flabbergasting. Please keep your opinions on my feedback, manor and forum longevity to yourself in future. Thanks, John

it is a public conversation, and you are misbehaving in what is essentially a public space. You do this everywhere on the internet? Just curious...

I think all Peter is referring to is the fact that all forums have a certain culture and behavior norms that tend do develop based on the people that frequent the board.  This board tends to be pretty well-behaved and not as much joking around or sarcasm (well-meaning or not) as others I frequent.  Most people, including myself, tend to take a bit of time at first to better understand the nature of the board before jumping in and drawing attention to ourselves.

Whether you meant to or not you certainly clearly distinguished yourself here, and not in a positive way.  I'm not pointing fingers or taking sides.  The point is there's a lot that can be learned here and probably a lot you can contribute.  But starting off with a negative impression won't make that any easier.  I think if you take it a bit easier and try to fit in and contribute in a positive way you'll find this to be a pretty engaging and useful forum.

it is a public conversation, and you are misbehaving in what is essentially a public space. You do this everywhere on the internet? Just curious...

Wow. That's unbelievable. Genuinely stunned. What a sanctimonious lollipop you are. Oh wait, now it makes sense....

Listen do me a favour and stop quoting me in things. It means I end up responding. And I really don't want to respond anymore. thanks in advance Peter

I think all Peter is referring to is the fact that all forums have a certain culture and behavior norms that tend do develop based on the people that frequent the board. This board tends to be pretty well-behaved and not as much joking around or sarcasm (well-meaning or not) as others I frequent. Most people, including myself, tend to take a bit of time at first to better understand the nature of the board before jumping in and drawing attention to ourselves.

Whether you meant to or not you certainly clearly distinguished yourself here, and not in a positive way. I'm not pointing fingers or taking sides. The point is there's a lot that can be learned here and probably a lot you can contribute. But starting off with a negative impression won't make that any easier. I think if you take it a bit easier and try to fit in and contribute in a positive way you'll find this to be a pretty engaging and useful forum.

Honestly, I made one post about Variaxes that seemed to offend people. Another where I made a joke with another member who seemed pretty ok with it. Since then I have had to fend of personal attack after personal attack. Name calling. All sorts. By people getting involved for no other reason than to get involved. Every time it died down someone else would get involved.

So from a joke with a member, and me not liking the neck on the Variaxes I've played, I have been rounded upon and personally attacked amongst other things yet everyone seems to have taken the moral high ground?

Like how did that actually happen? Mob mentality is a funny thing.

this forum is full of hypersensitive, self righteous bullies.

• Downvote 2

This thread...

dd5uns1.jpg

Seriously, though. Enough with the personal attacks and insults. These forums are very lightly moderated, and I don't think anyone wants Line 6 to clamp down. But personally attacking other members is usually where the line is drawn.