Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did you notice FW 2.12?!

klangmaler

Is there some way to get an email when there's a new firmware or editor release?

The notifications thing here seems to be stashing hundreds of notifications for me, like for every msg posted, but I don't get emails for them, and if I did I'd shut them off, too many.

But new releases I'd want to know about.

You can follow the topic and get notification when its updated.  Same process for any thread here that you want to keep tabs on.  Go here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-212/

and in the upper right corner select "Follow This Topic"

From there you can select how you'd like to be notified (immediately, daily, weekly).   

If you're having notification issues- click on your username in the menubar above, then "My Settings" and then "Notification Options"  --tweak as needed how you want to be notified (email, etc).  

• Upvote 2

Thanks akousticplyr, reading on my phone those options aren't there. Switched to full view, unfollowed the forum itself, followed those two topics, I think, a bit of weird interaction there maybe, we'll see how it goes.

I read on the web anyway, so I don't need general thread notifications, but I don't always notice changes to the pinned stuff, so hopefully this'll be better.

Thanks akousticplyr, reading on my phone those options aren't there. Switched to full view, unfollowed the forum itself, followed those two topics, I think, a bit of weird interaction there maybe, we'll see how it goes.

I read on the web anyway, so I don't need general thread notifications, but I don't always notice changes to the pinned stuff, so hopefully this'll be better.

Glad it worked for you!  

Good question

I notice the Update instructions (pinned) mentions Editot 2.11 but I have also read that the Editor and Firmware version should always match.

Suppose backup with 2.11 and then run updater and then Editor should be 2.12?

In all the previous firmware versions, at least as far as I can remember, there has been an Editor version that matched the firmware version. The 2.12 firmware release is a notable exception and as other have observed there is no 2.12 version of the Editor available in the Downloads section of the L6 website. The usual rule of matching the Editor to the firmware version does not apply in this case unless L6 decides to release a 2.12 version of the Editor. The Editor will continue to be the 2.11 version, even after you update the firmware to 2.12. So at least for now and for the first time I can remember, the correct combination of the Editor and firmware are different versions. After this firmware update your Editor should be version 2.11 and your firmware should be 2.12. 

Note: This version mismatch applies as of the date of this post. I can't say whether or not L6 will add a 2.12 Editor version at some future date or whether they will simply move on to the next release and perhaps once again match the Editor to the Firmware version as they have in their prior firmware releases. 

Thanks HonestOpinion. I have not updated yet. Will wait a few days and see if L6 "fixes" this. Otherwise confusion is likely to enter the scene (or should I say the Snapshot :) ).

A "fix" could be as simple as just renaming the editor to 2.12 such that I am not confused. (Very stupid guy here)

• Upvote 1

A "fix" could be as simple as just renaming the editor to 2.12 such that I am not confused. ...

Actually that is a great idea just to keep the procedure consistent with prior updates. Otherwise, perhaps we are seeing a break with the paradigm we have seen in the past of matching versions. I know L6 is working on revamping the entire firmware update procedure so the matching versions exercise may become moot at some point anyway (presumably in 2017).

Actually that is a great idea just to keep the procedure consistent with prior updates. Otherwise, perhaps we are seeing a break with the paradigm we have seen in the past of matching versions. I know L6 is working on revamping the entire firmware update procedure so the matching versions exercise may become moot at some point anyway (presumably in 2017).

Let's hope so.

In all the previous firmware versions, at least as far as I can remember, there has been an Editor version that matched the firmware version. The 2.12 firmware release is a notable exception and as other have observed there is no 2.12 version of the Editor available in the Downloads section of the L6 website. The usual rule of matching the Editor to the firmware version does not apply in this case unless L6 decides to release a 2.12 version of the Editor. The Editor will continue to be the 2.11 version, even after you update the firmware to 2.12. So at least for now and for the first time I can remember, the correct combination of the Editor and firmware are different versions. After this firmware update your Editor should be version 2.11 and your firmware should be 2.12. 

Note: This version mismatch applies as of the date of this post. I can't say whether or not L6 will add a 2.12 Editor version at some future date or whether they will simply move on to the next release and perhaps once again match the Editor to the Firmware version as they have in their prior firmware releases. 

If my memory isn't faulty, early on, the firmware and the Helix app had mismatched versions. At one point they decided to make the versions match, although I'm not sure where that started. Might have been around 1.10 or 1.12. Now they broke the synchronization that they deliberately put in place, haha. My guess is that none of this is going to matter in the future, so in the meantime, breaking things like version matching to increase the level of confusion could be fun. :lol:

If my memory isn't faulty, early on, the firmware and the Helix app had mismatched versions. At one point they decided to make the versions match, although I'm not sure where that started. Might have been around 1.10 or 1.12. Now they broke the synchronization that they deliberately put in place, haha. My guess is that none of this is going to matter in the future, so in the meantime, breaking things like version matching to increase the level of confusion could be fun. :lol:

I think you may be right about there having been an early firmware release where the versions did not match. That is why I qualified my original response with "at least as far as I can remember". They have been matching them up for a while now though and I think we all got kind of used to making sure our Editor and firmware versions matched. I think there are a couple of salient points here, the first being that the Update process is going to get improved and simplified at some point, and the second being that until then it seems that, at least for the moment, making sure that you have the latest version of the Editor matched up to the latest version of the firmware is your best course of action. If you decide to stay on an older version of the firmware, make sure you have the matching Editor, Updater, and driver in place.

After this last update we can say that versions usually match, but not necessarily. Best thing to do is keep your eye on the forum posts regarding updates and also analyze the contents of the downloads section to see if there is a version of the 'Flash Memory' download that matches the 'Helix' app version. That is what tipped me off to the fact that the versions would not match on this firmware update.  Regardless of whether you are using a version of the firmware that has the same version number or not for the Editor, periodically checking before and after you run updates to make sure you have the corresponding matched Editor and Firmware even if they are numbered differently is a good practice.