Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.20 update failed, froze up my Helix.

seitz-and-soundz

I've opened a support ticket, but hoping someone can help me out in the meantime.

I followed the update instructions to the letter. The update will get about 1/2 way through on the progress bar and then fail. It then gives me instructions on how to troubleshoot and resume, which I follow, but it still fails. Now my Helix is locked up and the screen just reads "Boot Failure Entered Update Mode". 

Try downloading the firmware file first then run Line 6 Updater and select Update From File.

Tried that, it failed and actually things went from bad to worse. Now my screen just shows some weird scrambled characters when it boots up. Trying to figure out how to post pics of it here...

Tried that, it failed and actually things went from bad to worse. Now my screen just shows some weird scrambled characters when it boots up. Trying to figure out how to post pics of it here...

Click the "More Reply Options" button and then scroll down below the reply box to where it says "Attach Files".

I had this same issue until I found the right USB port on my machine. I know you said that you've tried all four on your machine.... but do you have access to another PC? Maybe a work laptop or a friend's?

The update totally killed my Helix. Black screen of death, blank scribble strips, and is not connecting to my computer. I've tried every reboot option, different USB cables and ports...nothing! I guess it's going to Line 6 for service.

Yeah, this is exactly what happened to mine. It went back Monday.

My first attempt at updating last night was met with "Update Failed!" Fortunately cycling the power and trying again worked. Not without some shortness of breath... I do hope that updating the update process is on their radar, 'cause it isn't any fun....

My first attempt at updating last night was met with "Update Failed!" Fortunately cycling the power and trying again worked. Not without some shortness of breath... I do hope that updating the update process is on their radar, 'cause it isn't any fun....

No, it isn't fun, and it shouldn't be something that you have to approach with "shortness of breath" like you say. It should just be as simple as download update, connect Helix via USB, update, done.

I have to say, I get pretty irked when people keep saying "Try a different USB port, try a different USB cable, try a different computer." Um...NO. It should work, as all my other USB connected devices, including other audio devices. It just shouldn't be that difficult and particularly nit picky about how/what its connected to.

That said, my Helix went back next day air Monday, and is already supposedly fixed, and already on it's way back to me. So, much praise to Line 6 for quick turnaround. Hopefully they can shed some light on how to avoid this situation during future updates.

Sorry to here about your update issues.

I updated mine last week. It had the original microcode.

I think it was version 1.0.6.

You should make sure you do not plug the HELIX into a USB hub.

That can cause issues with many devices even a externally powered hub.

It sounds like you are going directly into a USB port in your computer.

But just in case you were not, I'd thought I would pass on not using a USB hub.

Got my Helix back Friday! Line 6's customer service has been amazing. They sent me a UPS Next Day Air label late last week to send my Helix back for service after the update debacle. Sent it back Monday, had it repaired, updated to 2.20 for me, and back in my hands (again Next Day Air) by Friday. Less than a week turnaround, at no cost to me, and my Helix wasn't even under warranty still! 

Got my Helix back Friday! Line 6's customer service has been amazing. They sent me a UPS Next Day Air label late last week to send my Helix back for service after the update debacle. Sent it back Monday, had it repaired, updated to 2.20 for me, and back in my hands (again Next Day Air) by Friday. Less than a week turnaround, at no cost to me, and my Helix wasn't even under warranty still! 

Yay! Fixed! Big cheer for the speedy repair crew!