Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows Tablet for Editor

sdre9096

Is there a Windows tablet that works perfectly with the editor? I much prefer to create patches with the editor but want a touch screen ala the H9 editor. Looking for something cheap as this would really be its only task but it has to work well. Thx

I think it depends on the tablet. There was some discussion about this some time ago in the context of the POD HD500 iirc. Most tablets run a stripped down version of a PC OS and the editor does not work on those. Some, however, seem able to run the full PC versoin of the OS, say a full and complete Windows 10. If a tablet can do that it should be able to run the editor, assuming it also has a USB port.

It appears to come down to the micro/mini USB port implementation on the tablet itself. Most of them don't seem to properly support data transfer like a standard (Type A) USB port. If your tablet has a standard USB connector you may have a better chance of it working properly depending on how it has been implemented. I have an inexpensive tablet that works great with the Helix but only when plugged into the standard USB port on the detachable keyboard. Unfortunately that effectively renders the tablet a notebook. The micro-USB port on the tablet itself does not work even with a proper adapter cable .

I think some of the Windows Surface tablets might work but they are not cheap. I would be curious to know what if any of the oldest versions of Surface tablets work with the Helix. Might be able to pick up a used one of those at a discount.  Anyone using one?

Actually, you just want a Windows 10 based tablet with a usb connector, then you'll be all set.  I believe Walmart sells a few around $100.  I've seen posts from people who have successfully implemented it. 

The comments about sending too much data are regarding using bluetooth and wireless connections.  Any tablet that is a Windows PC will work with the editor through the USB cable since, well, it's a PC.

Actually, you just want a Windows 10 based tablet with a usb connector, then you'll be all set.  I believe Walmart sells a few around $100.  I've seen posts from people who have successfully implemented it. 

The comments about sending too much data are regarding using bluetooth and wireless connections.  Any tablet that is a Windows PC will work with the editor through the USB cable since, well, it's a PC.

I have not found this to be the case. The tablet I mentioned earlier is a Windows 10 tablet and does not work with the micro-USB port and adapter cable on the tablet itself; only with the full sized Type A USB port on the detachable keyboard. I believe there are quite a few other tablet users with Windows based tablets that have found this to be the case as well. There was another topic a while back discussing this issue. Not all Windows tablets are created equally and not all work with the micro-USB port that is often found on them in lieu of the Type A. Not only do many of them not work properly with the Helix they don't work properly with external hard drives as well (even when they are powered). I would not be surprised if even some of the tablets with a Type A connector on the tablet itself don't work. That is why I was hoping people might list the Windows tablets they have found that do work. I am especially interested in the inexpensive ones as you mention because I would rather not have a $900 Microsoft Surface tablet on stage if I don't have to.

Use any vnc software to control pc. The helix still having direct usb connection with computer, but you can some walk away to adjust global eq for example. I use it with my android tablet. (Perhaps some day can use wifi dongle with helix port) ;-) Hope it can help. Excuse my english.

Just FWIW, not all USB cables are the same,   Some, generally the cheaper ones, are wired for "charger" use only, and I have also heard about ones for Data only and don't charge, but I have not personally run across those...    the "charge only" ones I have run across all too often... 

Just thinking aloud from experience using phones to control a camera but if the tablet only has a micro usb connector then wouldn't you need to use an OTG cable?

Craig

I have tried mine with two different OTG cables and neither worked reliably with the Editor.  I am surprised enough people have not tried connecting with tablets to compile a list of ones that work well with the Helix.

I have tried mine with two different OTG cables and neither worked reliably with the Editor.  I am surprised enough people have not tried connecting with tablets to compile a list of ones that work well with the Helix.

Was going to be my next suggestion. Anyone have a Windows touch screen that is working properly?

Do not go with a surface, not until line 6 sort out the scaling anyway. At present it is not usable.

I have a surface and buckled and bought another tablet, the lenovo miix 310 which has a much lower resolution screen that the editor can be used with, i have not tried it with the micro usb port though so cannot comment on that.

Do not go with a surface, not until line 6 sort out the scaling anyway. At present it is not usable.

I have a surface and buckled and bought another tablet, the lenovo miix 310 which has a much lower resolution screen that the editor can be used with, i have not tried it with the micro usb port though so cannot comment on that.

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like something Line6 should be able to address. What, you don't like requiring a telescope coupled to an electron microscope just to read the text in the Editor? Entitlement, sheesh...  ;)

I think some of the Windows Surface tablets might work but they are not cheap. I would be curious to know what if any of the oldest versions of Surface tablets work with the Helix. Might be able to pick up a used one of those at a discount.  Anyone using one?

I can say for sure it does not work with a Surface 2 RT version.  It only runs windows apps.  

I can say for sure it does not work with a Surface 2 RT version.  It only runs windows apps.  

That's right, I forgot. Prior to the Surface 3 they ran RT although I have read there is a jailbreak/hack for the earlier Surface versions that can allow x86 apps that aren't in the Windows Store to run by essentially acting like an x86 emulator. Not a great alternative though. So back to the question, who makes an inexpensive tablet with either a Type A or micro USB jack that works with the Editor?

• 1 month later...