Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT: strange automatic updating

NicoA47

I'm quite new to the Helix LT, but I used it a couple of times for band rehearsals. Since today, when I plug it in (no cables attached other than the power supply), I only see the starting screen, in the top line a strange string of ":-7:-7:-7:-7:-7:-7" (which goes on and on, in red color), and the bottom two lines say:

"Firmware Version 2.12.2

Updating UI MCU Firmware, please wait. Do not power off the unit!"

What can I do about this?

Try holding down footswitches 6 and 12(the two on the right next to the expression pedal) while powering the unit on. This will put the unit into update mode.

You may also need to try a different USB cable and possibly a different port on the computer. It may be a good idea to open a ticket with Line 6 as well.

• 2 months later...

Thank your for the reply. In the following guide I get stuck again:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/how-to-update-the-helixs-firmware-r776

I installed the updater and driver, but when I connect the Helix LT via USB to my laptop, it does not get recognized and the old screen shows up:

I think you need to follow these instructions for upgrading to the current firmware and editor.  It appears you're following old directions for prior updates.

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-230%E2%80%94nov-21-2017/

I just went through a similar issue with an LT... it turned to to be a driver issue.  Had not "activated" the downloaded driver on my Mac. Once the driver is downloaded, on a Mac, you have to go into the Privacy and Security settings and "acknowledge" that the driver is acceptable, and a restart required after you "acknowledge".  

I don't think it's a driver issue. I did update to version 2.30 for a month and this error appear only now. I don't connect it to Mac, only to windows 10 computer. 
So, before this, I have the performance and Helix was turn on for about 6 hours. There were no problems.  But then I go home, and after about 10 hours after performance I turn on Helix and see this message. Firstly I wait for a long time, but then I turn it off. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's a driver issue. I did update to version 2.30 for a month and this error appear only now. I don't connect it to Mac, only to windows 10 computer. 

So, before this, I have the performance and Helix was turn on for about 6 hours. There were no problems.  But then I go home, and after about 10 hours after performance I turn on Helix and see this message. Firstly I wait for a long time, but then I turn it off. 

I would go ahead and apply the new 2.52 Editor/firmware upgrade. Don't try to download the Flash(firmware) file separately. Get a backup if you can and then uninstall all the Helix software. Then download and install HX Edit 2.52 version for the Helix floor. You can then use the Updater to update to the latest 2.52 firmware.

If the Updater is not recognizing your device you can scroll down and use the reset options here to try and get the device back to as state where it is being recognized. Also all the usual tips about trying different USB ports and of course rebooting the PC. https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/ 

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to Line 6 and this Forum, and also it seems I'm a little bit late to the party!. Yesterday I've got my new Helix LT (it came with firmware version 2.12.2 straight out of the box) and when I performed the update process to go to 2.92 (following the steps provided by Line & after I opened a Support Ticket just to be sure) the Helix restarted after 50% of the installation and now is stuck in the same screen shared by NikoA47, except that mine shows 2.92 instead of 2.12.2. I'm waiting for a response by Support. Can you share how you solved this issue please?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Noddles said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to Line 6 and this Forum, and also it seems I'm a little bit late to the party!. Yesterday I've got my new Helix LT (it came with firmware version 2.12.2 straight out of the box) and when I performed the update process to go to 2.92 (following the steps provided by Line & after I opened a Support Ticket just to be sure) the Helix restarted after 50% of the installation and now is stuck in the same screen shared by NikoA47, except that mine shows 2.92 instead of 2.12.2. I'm waiting for a response by Support. Can you share how you solved this issue please?

Thanks in advance

Oh, this would seem to indicate that you didn’t do too much research about this, before updating. The Firmware update page for v2.92 does actually say that no matter what your current firmware version you can go directly to the latest 2.92, although a quick read through the notes for prior revisions you will find that there was a major upgrade to the Helix family Core Engine at firmware 2.80.
There were extensive notes about this in the release documentation  - Re: items 5, 6 and 7.

1. f you have Helix Rack / Control, turn off Helix Control. Also, shut down all Line 6 software or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc.
  2. Connect Helix to a Mac or PC via USB (do not use any sort of USB hub) and turn it on.
  3. Launch Line 6 Updater. The latest version was automatically installed when you installed HX Edit 2.80 in “STEP 2 Updating HX Edit to 2.80” above.
  4. Enter your Line 6 Username and Password and click “Sign In.” A big green box appears with a picture of your Helix product. Click the big green box and then click “Update” next to Version: 2.80.
  5. Carefully read the instructions (HEY! DID YOU BACK UP FIRST?), click “Continue,” and then “Accept.” A warning dialog appears, telling you that Helix will be reset twice.
  6. Think “Hmm, maybe I should’ve backed up first? Nah, I insist on subverting the dominant paradigm,” and click “OK.” Helix begins updating. As wholly expected, because we warned you… because you always read the instructions… halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix’s LCD reads “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!” THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You’re almost there.
  7. Click “OK” again. When finished, Helix restarts automatically and begins rebuilding your presets. Let it finish.

It gets better, because in BIG RED LETTERS the release note for 2.92 it states:

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

Possibly, Line 6 expected you to be familiar with this first and that’s why it is written in red.

Anyhow, none of this solves your current problem, and as is usual in these situations, you haven’t said what computer and OS you’re using.

Turn off the power to your LT. Restart your LT while holding down foot switches 6&12, this will put your hardware into “Safe Boot” mode and from there on you should be able to reinstall the firmware.

DO NOT USE A USB HUB AND DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER APPLICATIONS RUNNING THAT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE UPDATE ESPECIALLY AUDIO APPS!

NOTE: ON SOME PC MACHINES THE FRONT USB PORTS ACT LIKE A HUB - USE THE REAR PORTS.

If you are unable to complete the installation via HX Edit 2.92, it is possible to download the component parts needed and do a local install without being connected to the internet. If you are using a Mac the the info you require to perform this task is posted in my reply here:

If you’re using a Windows machine then, in my post, wherever it says Mac substitute your OS.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:31 AM, Noddles said:

Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear that!  Certainly firmware updates via USB aren't rocket science, so it's likely that you did things correctly.  The app does everything for you, and assuming you connected directly to your computer usb port and didn't have a misconfigured laptop who's usb port erroneously went into a sleep or low power state, it all should have worked fine, and FW jumping to 2.92 is apparently valid.  Either way, the app takes care of those decisions for you.

Since you already said that you followed the steps provided by line6 and after opening a support ticket, it's highly likely that you did everything correctly.

But please do review the steps outlined in the post above mine to make sure.  If something was missed in your execution that then resulted in this issue, then posting that detail here might help re-enforce this info for others in the future.

Hope the assistance from datacommando works for you!

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 3:26 AM, graysonenglish said:

I had this exact same problem. Updating UI MCU Firmware. With all the -7 errors repeating.

It was a disconnected cable inside the unit! 

This was in a Helix Rack

144 B · 4 downloads

Hi Grayson, would you mind to post again what cable that disconnected inside the unit? I would like to know too, because my LT occur the ui mcu firmware error thing

• 3 months later...

Just turned on my Helix LT and I'm having the same problem.  It's been a while since I updated to 3.15.0 and it wasn't even connected to a computer.  I had been using it for months with no issue and this time it displayed the "Updating UI MCU Firmware" message with the -7 in the upper-left corner and it never progresses.  Odd that this would display when it's been working fine for months with no update applied.