Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

You got to shape up the new editor look

dannepop

The way it’s set up now seems to make pretty good sense to me. When you say this is where you spend the least time on the editor, can you elaborate a bit please?

The way I’m seeing it, this area gives you access to everything. It’s reall about the only thing you need.

I see now... But i HAVE seen dudes who with the old editor, had a lot more information on their screen than me. Im going to say part of it is the "presonalization" in the computers settings.

Nooooooo......I didnt even notice they were gone.... Yet!  Im soooo glad they are gone. How many times i accidentally deleted a block because of those. Just right click select clear block.

I'm just on my laptop, and don't have a mouse at the moment.  It's annoying since I have to cntrl click.  How about being able to just select a block and hit delete?   Also both editors have been missing undo hot keys which would be handy at times.

I'm just on my laptop, and don't have a mouse at the moment.  It's annoying since I have to cntrl click.  How about being able to just select a block and hit delete?   Also both editors have been missing undo hot keys which would be handy at times.

There's no undo function on the editor because there's no undo function on the Helix itself. The editor is really a remote for the Helix. When you change a parameter in the editor, it changes it in real-time on the Helix. It's different than other Line 6 editors where you'd actually have to send information to the device.

On Windows, you just have to right click to get the "clear block" option, which is really just as fast as hitting delete or something like that. I'm actually kind of glad the little x is gone as well. There were a number of time I accidentally hit the x when trying to change the bypass state of a block.

The way it’s set up now seems to make pretty good sense to me. When you say this is where you spend the least time on the editor, can you elaborate a bit please?

The way I’m seeing it, this area gives you access to everything. It’s reall about the only thing you need.

It's actually the area where I spend the most time - the parameters area. On multiple occasions, if the selected parameter is the one at the top of the list, and I go to decrease this parameter by automatically hitting the LEFT arrow key (consistently and incorrectly thinking the LEFT arrow decreases a parameter because that's what I see should happen when I look at the screen), now the focus is on the panel to the left of the parameter panel, which I usually have showing the effect icons instead of the list, and as my thinking gets ahead of itself, I may hit the LEFT arrow again, momentarily oblivious of selecting a completely different block. The previous block is now gone, POOF!, with no way to get it back except to reload the entire preset.

I've also noticed that the + and - keys on the numpad (numlock is on) don't adjust a parameter anymore.

And one other thing I noticed: frequency values on EQs, cabs, etc., has increments of no less than 10 when the frequency is below 1000. Above 1000, and the increments are 100. And what worse, if you type in 1194, the frequency goes to 1100. If you type 1195, then it goes to 1200. Internally, I don't what it could be doing, but from what I see on the HX Edit interface, this seems less than ideal.

dB values are another: you used to be able to input dB values in increments of 0.1. Now it's no less than 0.2.

EDIT: The EQs, or blocks with frequencies, having poor resolution may be somewhat dire, because when viewing the text of a preset, the value saved is the value seen in the editor, meaning poor resolution.

• Upvote 1

It's actually the area where I spend the most time - the parameters area. On multiple occasions, if the selected parameter is the one at the top of the list, and I go to decrease this parameter by automatically hitting the LEFT arrow key (consistently and incorrectly thinking the LEFT arrow decreases a parameter because that's what I see should happen when I look at the screen), now the focus is on the panel to the left of the parameter panel, which I usually have showing the effect icons instead of the list, and as my thinking gets ahead of itself, I may hit the LEFT arrow again, momentarily oblivious of selecting a completely different block. The previous block is now gone, POOF!, with no way to get it back except to reload the entire preset.

Well thats really cool. You showed me there is an option there. Mines always on the list.

I see what you are saying, but when youve reached that point of no return, tab enter is your quickest route to reloading a preset, as im sure you may know. I think if you know you are going to be doing some editing, your best bet is probably to switch over to list view right off the bat. Though i DO like the effect icons view, it doesnt seem as if there is any real advantage to it, just the disadvantages we're discussing currently.

I've also noticed that the + and - keys on the numpad (numlock is on) don't adjust a parameter anymore.

Right. I wasnt sure what to think about this at first because in the old editor i spent a LOT of time with those two buttons, but i guess i just decided that it didnt make any difference which two keys raised and lowered values....as long as it stays one way or the other.

And one other thing I noticed: frequency values on EQs, cabs, etc., has increments of no less than 10 when the frequency is below 1000. Above 1000, and the increments are 100.

I liked this because in the old editor when you tried to dial the mid freq band down to around 160hz, it was a real pain getting close to that number with a single click of the mouse, then id have to stop and right click, fill in value, then hit enter, when all i wanted was a general idea at the moment. 

Just an FYI if youre finding the increments of 10 a little slow for you, hold down shift. It puts you in hyper speed mode :)

And what worse, if you type in 1194, the frequency goes to 1100. If you type 1195, then it goes to 1200. Internally, I don't what it could be doing, but from what I see on the HX Edit interface, this seems less than ideal.

Yeah i didnt know this. Im not a fan of this approach either. If you type in a value, id like to get that value.

dB values are another: you used to be able to input dB values in increments of 0.1. Now it's no less than 0.2.

I suppose this would have bothered me 5 years ago. Like i said If i type in a value, id like to get that value. Theres really no reason NOT to as far as i can see. But then if i needed 667hz and could only get to 668hz i dont think its going to cost me a record deal ;) As a matter of fact unless we have the Q set to 10, i doubt if its going to affect us much at all.

In the end i dont disagree with you. I just think that theres too much good stuff, that some of the smaller stuff can be overlooked for a while. I can get used to the new things, but please dont change it and make me learn another process, again.

One thing i hoped they'd never change was the fact that i could get from the first preset or IR in a list, to the last one with a single click. 1-128 boom! or 1A to 27B one click...The new alternative isnt bad though.

Another thing i really like is clicking on the IR label brings up a list of 10 or so that can be scrolled through and selected.

FWIW, there are several keyboard remapping programs out there.  KeyTweak seemed to work although at first attempt I messed up left and right :(    SharpKeys or KeyMapper may be a better/easier to use programs.   AHK or AutoHotKey is a pay product that allows you to run macros for specific programs and while I haven't tried it, it seems you should be able to remap the arrow keys only when the editor is in focus.  

• Upvote 1

FWIW, there are several keyboard remapping programs out there.  KeyTweak seemed to work although at first attempt I messed up left and right :(    SharpKeys or KeyMapper may be a better/easier to use programs.   AHK or AutoHotKey is a pay product that allows you to run macros for specific programs and while I haven't tried it, it seems you should be able to remap the arrow keys only when the editor is in focus.  

Sometimes the obvious completely passes me by. I now remember I have autohotkey laying around somewhere.

And one other thing I noticed: frequency values on EQs, cabs, etc., has increments of no less than 10 when the frequency is below 1000. Above 1000, and the increments are 100. And what worse, if you type in 1194, the frequency goes to 1100. If you type 1195, then it goes to 1200. Internally, I don't what it could be doing, but from what I see on the HX Edit interface, this seems less than ideal.

EDIT: The EQs, or blocks with frequencies, having poor resolution may be somewhat dire, because when viewing the text of a preset, the value saved is the value seen in the editor, meaning poor resolution.

There is a lot to love in the new Helix Edit but I have to agree with this, most of the time anything that starts enforcing poor or lower resolution and ceases to allow the user to dial in the value they are targeting in exchange for easier knob turning represents a poor tradeoff.  Would generally prefer not to sacrifice accuracy and fine tuning just to make a knob easier to spin. In addition, allowing direct typing in of exact values is always preferable to having the Editor or Helix take the typed in value and automatically adjusting it to the closest adjacent "allowed" increment.

The new change that lowers the resolution in the parameters in blocks like the Parametric EQ is a step backwards in my opinion. Perhaps this won't make that big a difference in practice but this is a change I hope they back out in future versions of the Editor.

On a similar note regarding "enforced" values I would still like to see the 'Low Freq" parameter in the parametric EQ allow a higher range of values rather than the 495hz it tops out at.

Seriously, they did this?  CRAP!!

Perhaps they won't make that big a difference in practice but this is a change I hope they back out in future versions of the Editor.

There are an awful lot of frequencies between say 1100Hz and 1200Hz. Or even between 100 and 110 for some blocks. This could be very detrimental in practice. The 4 OSC Generator might be an example, as someone else mentioned. Or perhaps the AM Ring Mod. What about the wahs that have frequency adjustments? Also, it's not just the editor. Editing on the device has the same selection values. It is possible to get better resolution the way it is now, but you'd have to text edit a preset. Yuck.

I did notice that dB values have increments of 0.1 between ±6dB, then 0.2 between ±20dB, then 0.5. So it's not always 0.2 as I said above.

Hopefully they'll rethink this change.

There are an awful lot of frequencies between say 1100Hz and 1200Hz. Or even between 100 and 110 for some blocks. This could be very detrimental in practice. The 4 OSC Generator might be an example, as someone else mentioned. Or perhaps the AM Ring Mod. What about the wahs that have frequency adjustments? Also, it's not just the editor. Editing on the device has the same selection values. It is possible to get better resolution the way it is now, but you'd have to text edit a preset. Yuck.

I did notice that dB values have increments of 0.1 between ±6dB, then 0.2 between ±20dB, then 0.5. So it's not always 0.2 as I said above.

Absolutely agree, these changes need to be undone. Enforcing too widely spaced intervals and lack of resolution both directly on the Helix and via the Editor is particularly problematic for anything where it impacts pitch and is generally just not helpful.

Yes, it is almost unthinkable that this was implemented at all.

I am loving the addition of drop-down menus and lists in strategic places in both Helix Edit and Helix Native. I found the wide sliders only GUI in previous Editor versions to not only cause unnecessary paging but also to be less than ideal particularly for viewing blocks/parameters where there were many text based options.  With sliders and pull-down menus (best of both worlds now), in the new editor and Native as well as informative screen sections like the new "Edit" and "Bypass/Controller Assign" screen I feel like the editor has taken huge strides forward in ease of use with the new Helix Edit 2.3. Very grateful for these extraordinary tools that seem to just keep getting better (let's back out those changes that reduce parameter resolution though). My satisfaction at having made the choice to go with the Helix continues to grow. I am delighted at its continuing success and the way this has persisted in yielding tangible improvements and enhancements for all us users. Bravo!

Duncann, im not really trying to refute your statements or change your way of thinking. I just felt it was necessary to quote somebody and since you started the ball rolling in this direction, and were one of the first posts, i guess it just ended up being you by chance.

And one other thing I noticed: frequency values on EQs, cabs, etc., has increments of no less than 10 when the frequency is below 1000. Above 1000, and the increments are 100.

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way when speaking about the helix EQs. Even though you have jump points of 10 hertz, you are only ever 5 hz away from any given frequency worst case, and at Q of 10, the difference between 270Hz and 275hz is not going to be audible for most (like 99.9%)..

at a Q of 1.6 which is a more practical scenario, there is probably about a 0.05db difference compared to the frequency that is not present or unobtainable, so youre really not missing much. Infact its pretty well inaudible.  Especially in a live setting. In a studio setting its even less of an issue.

The fact that most guitar dedicated EQs in their upper octaves are most often PRESET at 1k 2k 4k 8k OR 800hz 1.6k 3.2k 6.4k underscores this point. This is generally a deep enough level of control, 

Above 1000, you arent going to find many, if any, parametric EQs that provide you further detail. Any further beyond what helix offers already, is unnecessary and would only be useful in correcting severe tonal imbalances , and those which rarely occur in guitar modeling.

I can see how it would bug some people. It even bugs me, but the fact is that being able to point all the missing frequencies is going to do very little to benefit your guitar sound....but then again i cant see any worthwhile reason that these increments should even be missing. Esp in the digital realm.