Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.8 update stuck in 'boot failure, entered update mode'

tstanfield

Read the instructions for update numerous times, followed those instructions exactly and now i've been in 'boot failure, entered update mode' for well over an hour, should i keep waiting?  At what point should i take action and what should that action be?  Any help is appreciated and please don't ask if i followed the instructions, i did.

45 minutes ago, tstanfield said:

Read the instructions for update numerous times, followed those instructions exactly and now i've been in 'boot failure, entered update mode' for well over an hour, should i keep waiting?  At what point should i take action and what should that action be?  Any help is appreciated and please don't ask if i followed the instructions, i did.

Not sure exactly where in the process things stopped for you. If you have an "OK" button showing in the Updater dialog box, click it and the upgrade process may just pick up automatically. Good luck with this!

47 minutes ago, tstanfield said:

Hi,

Go here and read through what other users have found to fix this issue.

54 minutes ago, tstanfield said:

What this update does attempt, it's a "hot swap" of the core, so at around 50% of the update, the unit it's being rebooted automatically, which means the device it's being pulled off from windows (and from USB port) and then pulled in again after the unit reboot. All this stuff happen while the updater stays in "listening" mode, waiting for the unit to come back, relink to the drivers, and complete the update.

Looks like this process sometimes isn't working, as the unit isn't being pulled back and recognized properly after the reboot, so the updater stays in listening mode forever, or does fail to update at some point.

Anyway, go in the above thread and try the solutions listed. 

I'm having major issues with the floorboard as well with the boot failure. Update mode! I followed everything the updator directions said, and now it's been stuck for around 5 hours with a :-3 in the top left corner with the boot failure message, along with the updator being black saying no device connected. I'm afraid to turn it off because it said not to, but I also don't want to leave it on all night. Any suggestions? I'd really be devastated if I can't use my Helix anymore. 

9 hours ago, cwgettman said:

I'm having major issues with the floorboard as well with the boot failure. Update mode! I followed everything the updator directions said, and now it's been stuck for around 5 hours with a :-3 in the top left corner with the boot failure message, along with the updator being black saying no device connected. I'm afraid to turn it off because it said not to, but I also don't want to leave it on all night. Any suggestions? I'd really be devastated if I can't use my Helix anymore. 

...many here had the same problem

If the update process stucks (...more than 30 minutes), turn off the Heilx and shut down the Update program. Then reinstall Helix2.8Edit(including the drivers) and start the update again. That should work.

Luckily you can not destroy the Helix with an update (...I think) because it has an built-in update mode, which starts when an update has failed(maybe you have to use buttom combo 6+12).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Elf said:

I was stuck too. I installed the 2.8 HX Edit, powered the Helix off/on and it finally worked. I missed the step where I was supposed to install the new version of HX Edit - and I suspect I'm not alone.

I didn't miss the step, but had the problem.

...but everything is fine now :)

1 hour ago, The_Elf said:

I was stuck too. I installed the 2.8 HX Edit, powered the Helix off/on and it finally worked. I missed the step where I was supposed to install the new version of HX Edit - and I suspect I'm not alone.

Yeeees this worked! Just updated hx edit and it updated in less than 5 min. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

...many here had the same problem

If the update process stucks (...more than 30 minutes), turn off the Heilx and shut down the Update program. Then reinstall Helix2.8Edit(including the drivers) and start the update again. That should work.

Luckily you can not destroy the Helix with an update (...I think) because it has an built-in update mode, which starts when an update has failed(maybe you have to use buttom combo 6+12).

I had to do the same thing even after following the install instructions to the "T".  Thankfully the HX Edit re-install must have help reload the drivers or something.

28 minutes ago, hideout said:

Has these updating issues been mainly on PCs or are they happening on Macs too?

Mainly PCs running Win7/10. I believe (just from reports - not officially from Line 6) that it has to do with some sort of corruption to the  USB driver. ZReinstalling the driver and/or trying different USB ports seems to be effective.

41 minutes ago, hideout said:

Has these updating issues been mainly on PCs or are they happening on Macs too?

There has been some comments from Mac users, who later report that they had done some wrong - mainly not following the advised procedure and going it alone. Then they found that they should have installed HX Edit first - mainly that sort of stuff on the FB groups.

The Windows thing seems to be people having issues with the driver for the hardware. As this firmware is a major change to the Core system it appears that the new firmware overwrites the old and then reboots itself about half way through in order to finish the update. Obviously Line 6 were aware of this scenario and told users not to panic - of course some did. Once again you have a situation where the Core has to be installed from a vast amount different of PC systems, many of which may have been customised for certain things and Line 6 will not have been able to check how the install will work on all options. Simply re-installing the drivers has been the major work around that I have seen. No doubt Line 6 CS are dealing with an avalanche of "2.80 bricked my Helix" complaints, which is crazy because possibly the same people were the ones clamouring for it to be released.

Anyhow, Line 6 now have an army of testers finding bugs.

Having this same issue with Mac. My issues have not been resolved however. Tried everything listed but no resolution. "Stuck at Boot failure. Entered Update Mode!". Red : -3 in upper left corner of window.

I'm stuck because Updater and Helix Edit 2.8 will not recognize the Helix Floor. 

Yeehah. Not sure where to go from here.

• Like 1

My Helix is stuck in Boot Failed. Entering update mode and neither HX Edit or Updater can see the Helix.  I'm on Windows 10.

Tried rebooting, uninstalling (reboot) reinstalling drivers (reboot) and noting.

Any suggestions?

• Sad 1

I had the same issue, stuck in "boot failure, entered update mode".  I turned the Helix Floor off/on, restarted Updater, changed the usb cable & used different USB ports multiple times.  I then realized I hadn't updated Helix Edit to 2.80.  Once I did that everything is good and its rebuilding presets.  Thanks everyone for the posts.

I had the same problem , frozen on the boot failure entered update mode . I unplugged my helix , deleted all my helix software from my pc reinstalled hx edit 2.80 plugged my helix back in switched it on and waited for the red line to go right across the screen , then updater recognised my helix even though it was showing 2.80 I updated it to 2.80 And hey presto it worked. Panic over . J

On 7/22/2019 at 11:17 AM, datacommando said:

There has been some comments from Mac users, who later report that they had done some wrong - mainly not following the advised procedure and going it alone. Then they found that they should have installed HX Edit first - mainly that sort of stuff on the FB groups.

The Windows thing seems to be people having issues with the driver for the hardware. As this firmware is a major change to the Core system it appears that the new firmware overwrites the old and then reboots itself about half way through in order to finish the update. Obviously Line 6 were aware of this scenario and told users not to panic - of course some did. Once again you have a situation where the Core has to be installed from a vast amount different of PC systems, many of which may have been customised for certain things and Line 6 will not have been able to check how the install will work on all options. Simply re-installing the drivers has been the major work around that I have seen. No doubt Line 6 CS are dealing with an avalanche of "2.80 bricked my Helix" complaints, which is crazy because possibly the same people were the ones clamouring for it to be released.

Anyhow, Line 6 now have an army of testers finding bugs.

I think it is a given and users who do the upgrade should be resigned to the fact that there are going to be a fair number of bugs to be discovered as "Core" constitutes a major code rewrite. You almost need to think of this as a brand new product.  There will also be the usual share of erroneous bug reports due to wholly or partially failed upgrades or confusion about global settings. If the legitimate bugs are something that interferes substantially enough with how you use your HX device you may want to wait until the next hotfix or a couple of minor revisions when the major bugs have a chance to be worked out of the new Core rewrite.  For me the new features far outweigh the bugs I have run into so far but YMMV.

• Like 1

VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!! I had all these problems, the solution and the correct procedure to avoid these problems are as follows:

Step 1: Instal HX Edit 2.8 BEFORE updating the helix unit, HX edit has some files that are needed for the installation.

Step 2: install the Line6 updater 1.17.

Step 3: Connect your helix unit to your computer and turn it on in "Update mode". (buttons MODE and TAP for helix floor/LT)

Step 4: Run the line6 updater, select your unit and select "local file" use the file you downloaded form the website, the installation may take 2 to 3 minutes, very fast and safe.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After being stuck in this endless loop of Boot failure,  entered update mode   I swapped out my printer's USB cable for the one that came with the unit and the update finally worked!!

Please try this fix if all the other suggested ones don't work