Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do you like Helix flangers?

molul

Maybe I'm just used to Boss BF3 (edit: I meant BF2) sound, but to me, no flanger in this unit sounds as "powerful" as that. Maybe it's that I just don't know how to properly use them, but it's one of the few "disappointing" things on this device (with polyphonic tuning and pitch shifting). 

I suggest you show us a patch screen grab or something?  I've had great results personally, especially in Stereo, but you might be looking for something I'm not.

Maybe a sound sample or a link to some great sound you can't get.  Maybe what I love you hate and vice versa!

Oh, sure:

The beginning of this video:

Also, it was used in this Smashing Pumpkins song:

Maybe it's a different approach of the flanger effect, but I always asociate ir with this sound. 

It's also in the drums of this song (from 0:10):

10 hours ago, luismorcillo said:

Maybe I'm just used to Boss BF3 (edit: I meant BF2) sound, but to me, no flanger in this unit sounds as "powerful" as that. Maybe it's that I just don't know how to properly use them, but it's one of the few "disappointing" things on this device (with polyphonic tuning and pitch shifting). 

You may have already tried all this but here goes. Do you have the flanger block set at 50% in line or do you have it set up on a parallel path?  Turning up the 'Regen' parameter will also result in a more dramatic sound. Shifting its position in your signal chain may also help you achieve the sound you are going for.

Wow, you nailed it. It was in a parallel path. I tought the signal continued through the other path, not on both paths (I mean, I thought it was A or B, not A and B). Now I'm getting much better sounds from the flanger. Thank you! :D

Now I understand why there's a second path line below the main one. Still have so much to learn from this device, I guess ^_^U

On 3/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, luismorcillo said:

Wow, you nailed it. It was in a parallel path. I tought the signal continued through the other path, not on both paths (I mean, I thought it was A or B, not A and B). Now I'm getting much better sounds from the flanger. Thank you! :D

Now I understand why there's a second path line below the main one. Still have so much to learn from this device, I guess ^_^U

Yup, learning how the routing is working and exactly how your signal path is configured makes a big difference to how things sound. One thing you want to make sure of is that if you are joining Path 1 to Path 2 for a "Super Serial" path, make sure you route the output block properly from Path 1 to Path 2. There are some useful routing templates in the Template setlist for this configuration such as the "Super Serial x2" template.

Lastly you don't have to use effect blocks inline. They can be used on parallel paths as well, often turned up to 100% when used in parallel which provides only the wet signal. When used inline 50% will give you the max dry and wet(effected) signal. Anyway, congrats on getting it figured out.

Any block that has a mix control doesn’t necessarily need to be in a parallel path since that’s effectively that the mix control does with the wet and dry signal. However there may be other reasons for putting things on a parallel path depending on what you want feeding into what. The classic example is delay and reverb. Do you want 1) to delay your reverbs (delay block after reverb) or 2) reverb your delays (reverb block after delay), or 3) neither (reverb and delay on parallel paths and mixed later). 

There’s another consideration for flangers - do you want flangers before or after distortion (distortion blocks and amp block). These will sound quite different because flanger before distortion will get clipped and impacted by the distortion voicing. Flanger after distortion won’t get clipped and the high end created by the regeneration control won’t be cutoff. These are both valid scenarios and work for different purposes. You’ll have to try each to see what works for you and the song. Note however that we are use to hearing these effects in front of a distorted amp, so that might be a good place to start.

Yes, the problem was that I didn't understand the parallel chain and thought it was A or B. Now I find the Helix even more powerful :D

What bugs me is that I cannot move blocks from main path to the second path, but only to a parallel path and back. Not sure if it's a bug or if there's a reason for that behaviour.

1 hour ago, molul said:

What bugs me is that I cannot move blocks from main path to the second path, but only to a parallel path and back.

Hi,

Check Pages 17 - 19 Serial vs Parallel in the Helix Owner’s Manual. If you are having difficulties it may clarify the issue.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c975d5787c3e351aa0/application/pdf/Helix 2.0 Owners Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

23 hours ago, molul said:

What bugs me is that I cannot move blocks from main path to the second path, but only to a parallel path and back.

You can't move it to the 2nd path, but you can copy it to the 2nd path. I'm not sure if that is possible on the unit itself, but it is possible using HX Edit. 

Yes, I'm currently copying and pasting, but I don't understand why you can't just move it when path 2 is linked to path 1 ^_^U

I understand why it couldn't be done if path 2 doesn't come after path 1, though.

• Like 1

This is just a guess but perhaps it’s because of the device’s physical architecture. Path 1 and Path 2 run on two separate processors (CPUs). You can rearrange the blocks within the same processor but you need to copy/paste between processors?