Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is Your Dream Helix Form Factor?

drewdemaio

Not sure if this was ever a topic but thought I'd throw it out anyway. What would your dream Helix look like? Personally, I've found that the Helix Floor to be a bit too large for my needs as I don't use a volume/expression pedal much and when I do, I have it on the left side of the board, not the right. I think it would be amazing if the next Helix product was modular, perhaps featuring a  main unit with the processing, display, pots etc., that you can add to.  Increasing or decreasing size, amount of footswitches and additional expression pedals/external switches. . I just mocked up my dream Helix using a photo of the Helix rack control. Smaller form factor with all the power of the Helix Floor. What's your dream Helix? 

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 9.18.53 AM.jpeg

Actually, this is about the right size for me.  In fact, I hadn't thought about it until your post.  Just use a MINI PC loaded with Helix Native in a standalone mode where it can be housed in a small stage box and controlled by a Morningstar MC8.  Maybe a separate expression pedal.  Perfect for my use!!!

image.png

On 12/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, DunedinDragon said:

Actually, this is about the right size for me.  In fact, I hadn't thought about it until your post.  Just use a MINI PC loaded with Helix Native in a standalone mode where it can be housed in a small stage box and controlled by a Morningstar MC8.  Maybe a separate expression pedal.  Perfect for my use!!!

image.png

I’ve never tried using Helix Native for real time processing. Seems like that’s what you’re talking about. What do you mean by ‘standalone’ mode? HN is a plug-in so there must be a VST host (s.g. DAW) running on the MINI PC? What’s the latency like for playing live?

On 12/22/2023 at 11:24 AM, silverhead said:

I’ve never tried using Helix Native for real time processing. Seems like that’s what you’re talking about. What do you mean by ‘standalone’ mode? HN is a plug-in so there must be a VST host (s.g. DAW) running on the MINI PC? What’s the latency like for playing live?

Yeah...that's why it's a "dream" configuration.  Certainly there are plenty of examples of live standalone VST libraries being run on processors with low latency, so it's not like an impossibility.  And those technologies are becoming better and faster every day.  But the current version of HN wouldn't probably be a good choice for it.  It would probably look more like Native Instruments Kontakt where each block is a plug-in and routing is done through the plug-in manager.  But you marry that with the design ideas being used by Mini PCs such that you incorporate the audio interface for 1/4" or XLR outs and inputs, USB, etc. and you've effectively got a Helix unit housed in a Mini PC type unit.

On 12/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, drewdemaio said:

I don't use a volume/expression pedal much and when I do, I have it on the left side of the board, not the right.

From the moment I got Helix, I felt that L6 was missing a bet by not making their own expression pedal in the same format as the one built in.  Same heavy construction, same treadle, same angle - heck even put magnetic pads on the sides so it would lock into place.  Given the number of threads early on about compatible pedals it seemed like a no-brainer to me.  Esthetically  pleasing, placeable on the left or right - just seems like L6 missed a "plus sell" on this - I would have bought a couple.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Since I use the Stomp with the HXFX, I already have the modular setup you seem to be referring to. It does require some extra steps to make them communicate to eachother, but I like having the option to just take one of them with me depending on the situation. And of course I have a seperate exp pedal plugged in as well.

I don't see how the L6 stuff can get more modular than this..

Helix floor is near perfect already... If I had my choice, I'd like a more powerful version of that without a built in EXP.

Just give us the connections and let us choose our own EXP and/or external switches. Make sure the external EXP TRS connections are designed the way it is for the Stomp... Tip/Ring separately assignable to EXP or Footswitch. 3 or 4 TRS connections would provide a lot of external option that nobody is forced to use unless they want them. 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:50 PM, stevarius said:

I'd like to see a touch screen style UI and form factor similar to a Quad Cortex. I think it would have to be a bit wider by comparison though. I've always used an analog pedal and wouldn't really use the one like in the floor model.

I got a new car, and they replaced everything with a touch screen.  IMO it sucks.  When I'm driving and want to turn on the AC I don't even have physical buttons.  This is the current trend to replace everything with a touch screen.  I gotta say, on the old car, it was so easy to just turn on the AC without even looking.  Not anymore!

I wouldn't be surprised if the knobs are completely eliminated on future Helixes.  Honestly, from the videos I've seen regarding Quad Cortex, the touch screen doesn't really make dialing in sounds any easier.  Instead of the joystick, you have an ability to swipe and tap.  Helix's layout and UI is still very good and allows users to quickly create/edit presets; and probably do so quicker on other processors with a touch screen.  So touch screen is not really worth it IMO. 

• Upvote 1