Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

After changing my original D'Addario Strings for Elixir Nanowebs the 6 string goes horribly wrong ..

Hi !

After reading some comments here, i have chosen Elixir Nanowebs 10-46 strings...
But something is horribly wrong with the 6 string (E) & maybe the 5 string also ... a kind of metallic noise !

(PLEASE LISTEN THE ATTACH FILES)

There is 3 audio part , but the last one is when i switch to "spank to Lester'' in the model button ... spank seems to be guilty !

DO i have to regret my Elixir purchase & return to D'Addario ?

& the accoustic sound is very HORRIBLE ( i will put an audio exemple)... Elixir is surely the problems !

Hey my member reputation is -12 , i give a -13 for Elixir Nanowebs on the Variax , ;) ...i  feel better now :D !

thank you

I have 3 problem with this JTV69 HSS :

#1 -  metallic noise from the 5-6 strings (surely the ELixir String too much crispy & clear for the Variax emulator) ... :wacko: 

#2 - the alternative tuning selection button make ghost string on the most part of them ...  :lol: 

#3-  the selection button model has fallen to the floor while I was playing  :blink: & i cannot fix it on the JTV ... any syggestion :lol: ? see attach files

Why i do not have any problem with my Yamaha guitar, Fender Strat, & my old 1984 Ibanez Roadstars ?  :angry: 

string 6.mp3

post-2120974-0-52661200-1426424407_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Kind of the problem I have right now but yours sounds worse. Is there buzz on that string?

What do you mean  by 'BUZZ'' ?

#1 -  metallic noise from the 5-6 strings (surely the ELixir String too much crispy & clear for the Variax emulator) ...

#2 - the alternative tuning selection button make ghost string on the most part of them ...

#3-  the selection button model has fallen to the floor while I was playing & i cannot fix it on the JTV ... any syggestion ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1) After 1 month the elixir will lose their brightness - metalic sound and will be excellent for 2 months.

2) I use string trees and reduce the problem a lot.

3) I use super glue (logtite) and glue it once and for all. Carefull it is tricky.

• Upvote 3

Hi !

After reading some comments here, i have chosen Elixir Nanowebs 10-46 strings...
But something is horribly wrong with the 6 string (E) & maybe the 5 string also ... a kind of metallic noise !

(PLEASE LISTEN THE ATTACH FILES)

There is 3 audio part , but the last one is when i switch to "spank to Lester'' in the model button ... spank seems to be guilty !

DO i have to regret my Elixir purchase & return to D'Addario ?

& the accoustic sound is very HORRIBLE ( i will put an audio exemple)... Elixir is surely the problems !

Hey my member reputation is -12 , i give a -13 for Elixir Nanowebs on the Variax , ;) ...i  feel better now :D !

thank you

#1 -  metallic noise from the 5-6 strings (surely the ELixir String too much crispy & clear for the Variax emulator) ... :wacko: 

#2 - the alternative tuning selection button make ghost string on the most part of them ...  :lol: 

#3-  the selection button model has fallen to the floor while I was playing  :blink: & i cannot fix it on the JTV ... any syggestion :lol: ? see attach files

Why i do not have any problem with my Yamaha guitar, Fender Strat, & my old 1984 Ibanez Roadstars ?  :angry: 

I know that sound and have recently changed to Elixirs as well. Yesterday I spent the time to check neck, action and intonation and stopped it a little. What seems to have tamed it is rolling the tone knob down to about 6 or so (was 5 on the d'addrios that came with the guitar). While this solution is not ideal it makes it work. I also had an issue where once switching off of a screechy model (Spank) to a non-screechy model (lester or special) the treble noise remained, all i could do was disconnect the guitar and plug it back in to make the screeches go away, 

No idea why you are getting those sounds with Elixirs.  I have been running eixirs on my JTVs the entire time I have had them without issue.  However I did lower string volume on my acoustic emulations as I was getting some clipping.

Fret buzz will cause problems with the JTV modeling but it should not have changed due to string change if you stayed with same string gauge.  Play the guitar without it plugged in and listen for buzz or any strange ringing.  There should be no buzz or strange ringing.

Fret buzz will cause problems with the JTV modeling but it should not have changed due to string change if you stayed with same string gauge.  Play the guitar without it plugged in and listen for buzz or any strange ringing.  There should be no buzz or strange ringing.

I thought the JTV-69 comes with 0.009 gauge strings but apparently it's 0.010's (just Googled it). In that case the action should be the same indeed.

I thought the JTV-69 comes with 0.009 gauge strings but apparently it's 0.010's (just Googled it). In that case the action should be the same indeed.

Not necessarily. Not all sets of 10's are created equal. Tensions will vary slightly from one brand to another. Just because it says 0.10-0.46 on the package doesn't mean that all the others in between are identical. And even if both G strings claim to be 0.18 (or whatever it is), one may be pulling an extra lb. or two of tension. Doesn't take much to throw off the set-up. Guitars are a pain in the a$$...lol

The Variax JTV69 came with these strings : D'Addario Nickel Wound Regular Light Gauge EXL110 ( 0,10-0,46) ... & i chose the same Gauge but with Elixir because many have says that Elixir was great with Variax ,but they are wrong !

I need clarification : WHAT IS THE STRINGS THAT CAME WITH THE VARIAX BETWEEN 2013-2014 ? ... & since that the JTV exist how many time they have change the kind of string ?

thank you & i return to my toys !

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like the D'Addario  EXL strings and I have been using them on my JTV69S.  I have always used Elixir strings on my Variax 500 and I think they were darker than uncoated strings.  They significantly reduce the squeak you get when you move your fingers on the wound strings.  I really doubt that the problem you are having is related to the brand of strings though.  If you think it is, try changing.  If it had factory strings on it when you got it, they were D'Addario EXL. (10's)

• Upvote 1

I recently bought a JTV69 and after a couple of days put on a brand new set of elixir 10-52. I too notice this 6 and 5 string metallic 'clang' There is no fret buzz at all but it definitely there.

Edit  Changed tol a set of daddario 10s and the 'clang' is gone

Strange, it might be an oversensitive piezo again, maybe related to the E plinking thing.

I have it on my E string which is why I'm sending my 69s back for another. I tried other strings and it's still there though, not just the Elixirs. It's not as bad as your guys', but it makes the Humbucker models make the E string sound like a crappy singlecoil (doesn't mix well when you're riffing between the E and A string, or just need a smooth sounding E in the first place), and it sounds ear piercing on the single coil models.

• Upvote 1

Oh my God ?

The JTV69 HSS is a great instrument but surely not a guitar completly ...  <_<

Now  i have to buy all the string in the market to find the best for the Variax ?! ... oh man what i have done :wacko: !

And say that I was torn between the Variax and a standard Gibson ! 

(I already have a Fender Strat)

OK go to for the D'Adario EXL110 (10-46) ...thank you all

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh my God ?

The JTV69 HSS is a great instrument but surely not a guitar completly ...  <_<

Now  i have to buy all the string in the market to find the best for the Variax ?! ... oh man what i have done :wacko: !

And say that I was torn between the Variax and a standard Gibson ! 

(I already have a Fender Strat)

OK go to for the D'Adario EXL110 (10-46) ...thank you all

The quest for the right strings isn't uncommon.  Over the years I've found that I've grown to like different strings, depending on the guitar and pickups.  For example, I like GSS 10-46 Boomers for my HSS Strat, but I like D'Addario ESX110's for my LP.  I've tried just about all of the brands, but these are what I've settled on, based on my own playing style and preferences.  I've stuck with the D'Addario ESX110's on my JTV59, because it has a similar feel to my Les Paul.  I'm still searching for the "right" strings for my Taylor 814.  Currently I'm using DR Snakeskins, but that will probably change.

I also have an old Variax 300 and I did try Elixer's on it.  I found them to bring out the piezo "plink" too much for my taste.  I haven't tried them, on my JTV59, since I'm happy with the D'Addario's (so far).

The quest for the right strings isn't uncommon.  Over the years I've found that I've grown to like different strings, depending on the guitar and pickups.  For example, I like GSS 10-46 Boomers for my HSS Strat, but I like D'Addario ESX110's for my LP.  I've tried just about all of the brands, but these are what I've settled on, based on my own playing style and preferences.  I've stuck with the D'Addario ESX110's on my JTV59, because it has a similar feel to my Les Paul.  I'm still searching for the "right" strings for my Taylor 814.  Currently I'm using DR Snakeskins, but that will probably change.

I also have an old Variax 300 and I did try Elixer's on it.  I found them to bring out the piezo "plink" too much for my taste.  I haven't tried them, on my JTV59, since I'm happy with the D'Addario's (so far).

The plink issue goes down as strings dies. Does a new set of regular strings still sound less plinky than the Elixirs?

I've always noticed the plinking of the E string on the Lester model of my 600 ever since I've got it, and didn't think too much of it until recent years.

The plink issue goes down as strings dies. Does a new set of regular strings still sound less plinky than the Elixirs?

I've always noticed the plinking of the E string on the Lester model of my 600 ever since I've got it, and didn't think too much of it until recent years.

Sorry, but it's been years since I tried the Elixirs.  If I recall correctly, the plink was less with new regular strings.  Again, if I recall correctly, DR coated strings seemed to work well on my VAX300.

• Upvote 1

yes it have a buzz (strange ringing ) when i play without be connected !

it's from the last fret near the neck (i think) ... thing who was not there with the original string D'Addario EXL110 !

Every preset from HD500X who have a bright sounds have the buzz string & paired with the spank model IT'S HORRIBLE !

I have to say that i use HD500X  with the 69 & on any preset the buzz string (6e (5a a little less ) is there ... honesly If we think about that, Elixir is not in fault but Line Variax ! ... sorry about my words but these words have cost to me more than 1500$ CND.

If you can understand that a string is just a string ; you can reduce my reputation to -100!

The variax is a good but MAYBE AN unfinished product ... BUT THIS LET OPEN THE DOOR TO THE NEW VARIAX MODEL (A SURPRISE ?)

Anyway The world money maker is made like this  ;) 

NOTHING IS ETERNAL WITH THE FLESH !

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you have ANY buzzing with no power, you have a setup problem.  And YES it can change with different brands / gauges of strings.  Get that fixed and your Variax will sound good again. 

I just got my 3rd Variax replacement today, and it's a bit better but the clanky sound is still there. It shows up the worst with spank, as the person said. It sounds awful on some high gain settings. 

The person at Sweetwater tested it and said it sounded fine, but It still seems like it kind of has a problem. It might be the HD firmware as well making the problem more pronounced.

I guess I'm going to settle with the guitar I have though. If it honestly becomes a big problem, I'll see if the problem goes away with 1.9. 

Have you tried backing off on the string volumes to see if it reduces the effect?

Yes. No avail. I removed the fretbuzz with the truss rod and it's still there to an extent. Fret buzz makes it more obvious, but there is still a weird overtone on the E string to some extent on like 90% of the models. The Chime models actually sound fine, but the rest have it.

yes it have a buzz (strange ringing ) when i play without be connected !

it's from the last fret near the neck (i think) ... thing who was not there with the original string D'Addario EXL110 !

Every preset from HD500X who have a bright sounds have the buzz string & paired with the spank model IT'S HORRIBLE !

I have to say that i use HD500X  with the 69 & on any preset the buzz string (6e (5a a little less ) is there ... honesly If we think about that, Elixir is not in fault but Line Variax ! ... sorry about my words but these words have cost to me more than 1500$ CND.

If you can understand that a string is just a string ; you can reduce my reputation to -100!

The variax is a good but MAYBE AN unfinished product ... BUT THIS LET OPEN THE DOOR TO THE NEW VARIAX MODEL (A SURPRISE ?)

Anyway The world money maker is made like this  ;) 

NOTHING IS ETERNAL WITH THE FLESH !

The HD500 and HD500X does accentuate bottom end and high end when using default settings.  When coupled with a JTV or Variax using the VDI the high end can become very overpowering, harsh and ice pick sounding.   This can all be addressed by adjusting the AMP tone controls and DEP parameters on the POD and/or using EQ fx's and also adjusting the TONE control on the Variax or JTV model to roll off some top end.  Unfortunately they are not just plug and play - they require tweaking to suit your gear.  It is very easy to produce terrible sounding patches especially when just using default values for amp/cab/fx and perhaps not choosing the correct output mode. The secret to producing great tones from the gear is to learn and master how all the controls/parameters for each amp/cab/mic/fx plus output mode affect the end sound. Once you have that nailed you will be able to turn out your own great patches quickly enough.

To get the best out of a JTV you must ensure it is set up perfectly and that there is no fret buzzing or string buzzing - any extraneous sound will be picked up by the piezos along with the string and note sound and be converted to whatever guitar model you are playing. 

Changed from the D'dario set to Elixirs and it did not get worse for me. Still sounds the same.

People say the spank model sounds too thin and ear piercing sometimes.

I think it's best to just compensate with amp settings, like edstar said.

I've been playing with my JTV more and more and I'm getting used to it more and more. Honestly, a lot of metal music has that honky low E string even though they use humbucking guitars, so in some way, it's natural, I just thought it was overpronounced a bit, to the point where it's hard to dial out, as it's not always a thing you hear out a typical Les Paul.

I highly suggest you give us details about what settings you used for your tone.

If you stick with same string gauge, the neck should not need readjusting when changing string brands.

correct, but the OP said that buzz was initially absent...

...thing who was not there with the original string D'Addario EXL110 !...