Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Open mic night with Helix

chuskey

Great soloing.  Only thing is  the comperes at the open mic and jam sessions here frown on me using backing tracks... mostly don't allow it.. :(

a great shame cos getting hold of good jazz players to accompany is impossible unless i pay them.

would love to be able to use  a jamman looper etc and just do stuff by myself !  

( not very social i know .. but there you go ! ) 

Holy mackerel, dude!!! Took that song to a whole nutha level. Curious .... just got a Variax Standard .... what gauge strings (and brand) have you settled on?

I appreciate the kind words!  I'm using the Ernie Ball light top heavy bottom.  The high e is a .10.  I used to use .11's, but as I've gotten older I've started having problems with my hands a little bit.  Had to back off a gauge :)

• Upvote 1

great stuff! :) .. can i ask.. were you using modelled strat or the actual real pickups? i have an older original 500 variax and looking to upgrade to the tyler version soon so interested to know

I was using the modelled strat neck pick up sound.  

The only thing I changed was the tone control resistance value down to 100k.  This tames the high end a little bit.  I like to use the custom bank to have a mix of guitars and pickups, so it helps balance the tones across the board if the strat isn't too bright.  That's totally a matter of taste though.  

I have a JTV69 and JTV59 and love them.  Had the Variax 600 before them.  I have a Les Paul Standard (had for 10 plus years) and a SRV Strat (had for 20 plus years) that hang on the wall of my studio.  I love looking at them, but all I play are the JTV's.  Mostly the 69 because I like the 5 way switch and trem.   

Nice passionate playing!

Problems with your hands is a guitarist's worst nightmare. Hope your case is something you can work around and just say fu to the frailties of the human body.

Thanks man!

There are times I'll be practicing and get very frustrated when I have to stop and let me hand rest.  For the most part though it isn't a huge problem.  I just have to focus on keeping the muscles in my left hand from tensing up.  Just one of those things....

Really nice job!

Patches by Glenn?

JTV and Helix fit - I love it every day...

Thanks man!

No, that patch was one of mine.  Here it is if anyone is interested:  http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1950957/

I've been making patches since the AxSys 212 days and that's part of the fun for me.  

I have to say Helix makes it so simple to get good tone right out of the gate.  I spent HOURS getting my HD500X patch just the way I wanted it.  I eventually did, but with Helix it took about 5 minutes to get the basic tone.  Still spent a bit of time getting all the effects and routing setup the way I wanted.  Like I said though, that's part of the fun :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks man!

There are times I'll be practicing and get very frustrated when I have to stop and let me hand rest.  For the most part though it isn't a huge problem.  I just have to focus on keeping the muscles in my left hand from tensing up.  Just one of those things....

That was great... really well done!

As far as the hand/muscle thing, I found that limiting coffee/caffeine and taking supplements that deal with muscles/cramping really help. When I have too much coffee, my hand cramps up.

As far as string gauge and tone (Dumble amps notwithstanding), remember, Billy Gibbons "only" uses .006! According to an interview of his guitar tech, Billy has never broken a string.

If you had been playing a SG, I could've sworn that was Derek Trucks!!!

That was great... really well done!

As far as the hand/muscle thing, I found that limiting coffee/caffeine and taking supplements that deal with muscles/cramping really help. When I have too much coffee, my hand cramps up.

As far as string gauge and tone (Dumble amps notwithstanding), remember, Billy Gibbons "only" uses .006! According to an interview of his guitar tech, Billy has never broken a string.

If you had been playing a SG, I could've sworn that was Derek Trucks!!!

That's a good point about Billy Gibbons.  

I have been accused of looking like Derek Trucks.  No one has ever accused me of playing like him though :)