Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix - The Set Of All Settings (SOAS) Project

Noobian_Prince

The "Set of All Settings" (SOAS) is an analysis of over 550 presets from Line 6, Custom Tone, & Professional users! 40+ Custom Tone "SOAS-Presets" featuring 5-8 Snapshots each!

This project consists of several "Sets Of All Settings" or "SOAS-Presets", nearly one per amp model in the Line 6 Helix.  I wanted to uncover some good starting points for crafting my own tones, and got a bit carried away...The goal was to see how other Pro/Paid & Custom Tone Helix users were setting up their amps and effects, not to copy their settings, but to see if any patterns emerged between the various parameter ranges.

The SOAS-Presets, aren't presets per se; rather they’re "Ante-Presets", meaning that they are what comes before you create your own presets.  All values offered here are merely suggestions; they are means and not necessarily ends in themselves.  These values should point you in the right direction, but you'll still have to mix and match the various values yourself to sculpt your own custom tone!  

​

Each SOAS-Preset consists of 5-8 Snapshots:

1) L6 Default (default amp values)

2) L6 Factory (from the Factory 1 Setlist, generally from presets with the amps name in the title)

3) Average (average of all values)

4) Median (median of all values)

5-7/8) Popular 1/2/3/etc. (#1/#2/etc. most popular values) 

7/8) User 1/2 (L6 Default, with Channel Volume dropped to 3. This acts as a place holder, but can be where the user saves their own settings.)

For more information and to view all of the SOAS summary charts, please visit the website:

https://l6helix.wixsite.com/helixsoas

Download Custom Tone SOAS-Presets Here:

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/Noobian_Prince

Full Setlist download:

SOAS-SETLIST 1.0

The SOAS-Setlist features all 43 SOAS-Presets in two arrangements:

1) FS8 = "CAB/IR" = L6 Cab enabled

2) FS8 = "CAB/IR" = IR enabled (set to IR slot #1. User can import their own IRs)

ytXIcBk.png?1

zT4sf35.png?1b5609m4.png?1

SwnfUZa.png?1

• Upvote 6

Great effort regarding an interesting idea. It might even be possible that your batch of SOASs, would be as close as it gets to delivering starting points that would deliver the narrowest range (tonally) of user acceptability/like ability. Overcoming the massive variations in outboard equipment being used out there in the Helix universe is impossible to get your arms around, as you know, but again, your SOAS process should tighten that variable significantly.

Your 2nd post, wow. Congrats!

• Upvote 1

Overcoming the massive variations in outboard equipment being used out there in the Helix universe is impossible to get your arms around, as you know, but again, your SOAS process should tighten that variable significantly.

One of the unsaid operating assumptions here is that I'm disregarding the "but bruh, different guitars, A2 vs A5 pickups, (un)wound G strings, pick materials, cable capacitance...blah blah...tone is in the fingerz" counter-arguers.  It is safe to assume that if over 100 users contributed to these SOAS, that they were arguably using several different playing techniques and types of gear when producing their SOAS worthy presets.  Hence, the intent of this project is to create statistically sound ranges of values, rather than definitive "best" values, because we all know there is no such thing as "best" in the guitar world.  Unless were talking about Rats as the best dirt box ever, because well, Rats are the f*cking best! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

You had mentioned per your link, further in your methods, where you culled out user presets based on how they sounded to you. And that of course, being how they sounded using your gear. I have faith that many of those presets were totally righteous in their owners environment.

I was a functional developer for industrial chemical tracking systems. Narrowing down to the needs for hundreds of large facilities with thousands of users is not easy. Keep up the good work, I look fwd to keeping up with this thread.

Well that's the first time I have seen statistical analysis to choose preset parameters. Interesting perspective. 

It certainly is a different way of looking at it, but how many times have you wished you knew what the more experienced people did with their kit.

I am guessing here, but I think we need to thank Line 6 for using JSON format (text files) because that allows this type of analysis to be done (if you have the tools) without having to key all of the data in again

This is so great. Will go through this info and try it next weekend. Really nice job, impressive.

One question from looking briefly - In your initial post you have an example of the Brit Plexi Brt. On the “Paid†rows there is some blanks, why? Not available, not collectible… Same on the last two rows to.

Interesting notice that the Paid ones, almost all, had Hum and Sag set to “0.0â€. Same tendency for Ripple.

Looking forward to the weekend  :)

//Per

It certainly is a different way of looking at it, but how many times have you wished you knew what the more experienced people did with their kit.

I am guessing here, but I think we need to thank Line 6 for using JSON format (text files) because that allows this type of analysis to be done (if you have the tools) without having to key all of the data in again

It still all comes down to what sounds good to the individual which is all subjective.

It would be like doing statistical analysis on chicken noodle soup recipes and coming up with a recipe of "averages" of the various ingredients. Yes, it probably makes a decent soup, but it's still just subjective. 

It still all comes down to what sounds good to the individual which is all subjective.

It would be like doing statistical analysis on chicken noodle soup recipes and coming up with a recipe of "averages" of the various ingredients. Yes, it probably makes a decent soup, but it's still just subjective. 

ROFL!

I'm going to name the SOAS setlist "CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP"!

In your initial post you have an example of the Brit Plexi Brt. On the “Paid†rows there is some blanks, why? Not available, not collectible… Same on the last two rows to.

I blocked out those values out of respect to the Paid-preset makers.  I don't want to freely share their creations without their permission.  That Plexi SOAS is an example of what I compiled for each amp & effect featured in the SOAS.  What I am publicly sharing are the aggregate values that resulted from the list of individual Paid+Custom Tone presets.  What I am not sharing are those individual presets values.  The Plexi SOAS is a quasi-behind the scenes look at what I was doing.  Those missing values exist, and were a part of the analysis, but I'm not going to share them or any of the other 230+ Paid presets settings that I compiled. But, if you're savvy, I'm sure you can do some reverse engineering.

• Upvote 1

I blocked out those values out of respect to the Paid-preset makers.  I don't want to freely share their creations without their permission.  That Plexi SOAS is an example of what I compiled for each amp & effect featured in the SOAS.  What I am publicly sharing are the aggregate values that resulted from the list of individual Paid+Custom Tone presets.  What I am not sharing are those individual presets values.  The Plexi SOAS is a quasi-behind the scenes look at what I was doing.  Those missing values exist, and were a part of the analysis, but I'm not going to share them or any of the other 230+ Paid presets settings that I compiled. But, if you're savvy, I'm sure you can do some reverse engineering.

Very honorable, much respect for that decision...

See the numbers you got as guidelines. So many other factors that affect the road to realize the perfect and my own sound. See it more like a way to get a perspective and maybe handle some parameters a little differently. Get new starting point to be creative. Simply get better.

You made it in a way I have never seen a forum before. At least not digital modeling of amplifiers and effects… :)  and I’m not going to miss this opportunity.

Thanks

/Per

Sooo, these have been in the wild for 10 days now...What are everyone's thoughts?

-Additional resources I should add to the website?

-How do your go-to presets settings match up to the SOAS settings? 

-Have these been helpful in developing your own new presets?  

-Is the SOAS project resourceful/pragmatic? Or is the data just interesting on a theoretical level?

-What else would y'all like to see from me? What should I do next?

---Focus on filling out the missing amps/less represented amps?

---Effects categories by priority? Specific effects? 

---Most common amp combinations?

---Cab/IR selection, settings? (high/low cut, mic placement, etc)

---Routing arrangements?

I have had a few community members contribute presets/settings to me.  Some folks made some HUUUUGE contributions, other small.  I'll gladly welcome any & all contributions, whether they are pro/paid presets, Custom Tone presets, or your own go-to presets.  If you're ethically opposed to sharing paid/pro presets, please just send me the settings for the amp or effects that you'd like to see included.  But sending the presets themselves tends to be the easier route.  Trust me, this isn't some scam to get free presets, I now have waaay more pro & Custom Tone presets than I'll ever be able to use! I'm purely after the settings! You can find my email on this page:

https://l6helix.wixsite.com/helixsoas/links

I hope that y'all have found this research resourceful.  I would definitely like to continue it if and only if folks are actually finding it pragmatic for a) providing "shortcuts", b) understanding what certain parameters do by looking at how other players use them, and most importantly c) actually creating their own custom kick-lollipop presets! 

Also, please kindly remember that there are no absolute "best" here; all of the SOAS aggregated values/settings are merely suggestions. Tweak till you freak!

Thanks again to all y'all who have contributed, whether passively or directly.  Happy Holidays!

Prince 

• Upvote 1

That's a really interesting matrix you have presented PN. Since I've only had my hands on the Helix for 3 days and only rather limited time to play around with it I'm not in a position to offer any in-depth feedback beyond simple thanks for doing the research and posting it up.

• 3 months later...

!!! SOAS 2.0 IS ALIVE !!!

SOAS 2.0 includes:

1) 594 new source presets! total = 1,146 presets!

2) 46 amp models!

3) Dual-Cabs with analyzed optimal cab settings & speaker mixes!

4) Vol (gain) block for Dual-Cabs sum-to-mono/vol leveling (if playing stereo, disable gain block)!

5) Updated settings for Comp, Drives, EQs, and IR high/low cuts!

6) Looper at front of signal path for scrolling through settings!

The "Set of All Settings" (SOAS) is an analysis of 1,146 presets from Line 6, Custom Tone, & Professional users! 46 Custom Tone "SOAS-Presets" featuring 5-8 Snapshots each! This project consists of several "Sets Of All Settings" or "SOAS-Presets", nearly one per amp model in the Line 6 Helix. The goal was to see how other Pro/Paid and Custom Tone Helix users were setting up their amps and effects; not to copy their settings, but to see if any patterns emerged between the various parameter ranges. The SOAS-Presets, aren't presets per se; rather they’re "Ante-Presets", meaning that they are what comes before you create your own presets. All values offered here are merely suggestions, not absolutes! Each SOAS-Preset consists of 5-8 Snapshots: 1) L6 Default (default amp values) 2) L6 Factory (normally from the Factory 1 Setlist) 3) Average (average of all values) 4) Median (median of all values) 5-7/8) Popular 1/2/3/etc. (most popular values) 7/8) User 1/2 (Average, with Ch Vol down to 3.)

I will be adding more information to the website in the next few days. But for now, most of the new settings summary charts are available on the site.

For more information and to view all of the SOAS summary charts, please visit the website: https://l6helix.wixsite.com/helixsoas  

SOAS Setlist 2.0 & Presets downloads: https://line6.com/customtone/profile/Noobian_Prince

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

If anyone cares, I finally found some time to update the website with information on the SOAS2-Presets layout (looper, duplicate amp, gain block, & dual cabs). More importantly, I published the results for the IRs, Dual Cabs, & Mics settings.  I hope y'all find this resourceful!

https://l6helix.wixsite.com/helixsoas

https://imgur.com/a/8R2PhH2

Think this is really interesting. Tried a few last time, but did not have time to deap dive. Actually, have had  too little time to play overall. Thanks for a great job and for sharing.

/Per

Great effort! But aren't the settings entirely dependent on what the aim of the sound was? Clean / dirty for an example. Also on how the various parameters interact - amp tone controls, preamp vs. power amp gain vs. stomp distort gain etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 6:57 AM, Ka5par said:

Great effort! But aren't the settings entirely dependent on what the aim of the sound was? Clean / dirty for an example. Also on how the various parameters interact - amp tone controls, preamp vs. power amp gain vs. stomp distort gain etc.

Yes and yes. The overarching goal is to provide the "usable limits" (high & low values), the "most reasonable" (average & median values), and the most popular values.  Each SOAS preset/snapshot is not meant to sound good/perfect on its own.  Rather they are merely the presentation format for allowing the user to interact with the researches resulting values.  To an extent, It is about the individuals values themselves, not their relations to the other values in that snapshot.  The idea is that the research gives the user around 8 possible/usable values per parameter. The user can then find their best value(s), and plug it into the preset they are creating.  On the website, I call the SOAS presets "Ante-Presets" because they aren't finalized/ideal presets on their own; rather they are what comes before ("ante") the presets the user creates out of them.  

You are correct that each amps total data isn't sorted into low & high gain categories.  But if a given amp has a wide dynamic range, then in the "Popular 1/2/etc" values, you should see options that are more suited for low & high gain applications.  While I am "pretty much done" with analyzing amps for this project, and am moving onto effects, I do have a few more forthcoming amps. Even though I told myself I was done buying presets...I couldn't contain myself and bought a bunch by FM, MF, GD, THC, & CT, for all of the recent/newer 2.3/2.5 amp models. Plus I've gathered even more Custom Tone presets for those amps.  I now have a lot more values for the Friedman, Lonestar,  Trainwreck, & Victoria models to play with than were featured in the SOAS 2.0 update. 

Whats the point of this? For those three amp models, and others that have well above 30+ source presets/values, I am going to redo/separate them into low & high gain categories.  I'll separate these above & below either the overall median (preamp) gain value, or the total (preamp+master) gain value (for those amp models that have master volumes in real life).  I can only do this for amps that have more than 30 source presets, as I feel that this research approach doesn't yield great/varied/enough results if I'm analyzing a set of 15 or less source presets.  I also plan to do this for amps that have different "modes". For example, I have separated my new Friedman BE-100 results into two categories: 1) HBE Off & 2) HBE On. That one toggle makes a huge difference!