roscoe5

Powercab Speaker Models Muffled in Room

Just checking with you guys before I submit a support ticket.

I'm finding that the built in Powercab Speaker models (not IR's) are very muffled sounding in the room coming out of the Powercab, almost like when you run a Helix cab model or IR through a regular guitar speaker, but they sound great from the Powercab XLR out!

I have a Mesa 1x12 closed back widebody cab with tri-port and 1x12 combo open back both with V30 speakers.  The Powercab Vintage speaker model sounds like a wet blanket is over it in the room but the XLR out is super close to my real cabs.  I think I'm actually getting better sounds and feel from the Pcab XLR out speaker + mic models than I've gotten from HX cabs or IR's.

I agree that the speaker models sound kind of muffled for me, too. Unfortunately I can't test the XLR out sound.

My fears are that this is just due to budget components, perhaps the speaker and/or power amp. Too good to be true product pricing.

There's probably a reason other products like this cost double to triple the price. 

Still going to keep trying though. 

Well, I'm really still impressed and happy overall.  I bought it mainly as an FRFR solution, which it does very well while being a small, lightweight form factor with guitar amp vibe.  LF Raw mode was a usable bonus that I wasn't expecting.

It almost seems that Line 6 should bring a little bit of the HF driver in on the speaker models.  I think it is turned off completely.  While not as extreme as running Helix amps and cab models/IR's into one of my V30 cabs, there is a bit of that double dipping speaker modeling vibe and dullness. 

I do want to reiterate that the sound out of the XLR with mic model is great!

I got my PC112 Tuesday and used it for rehearsal last night.

Helix volume was at just past noon (solid green, no yellow on PC112 input). The Cab was on 1pm volume (its a large room). What I noticed was that the sound would distort and sound undefined when playing with my main patch (Soldano Crunch, edge of breakup (gain 1.8) and 412 IR, PC112 in FRFR mode). It gets worse when I added delays. It reacted to my playing dynamics, something I never experienced on the PA speakers or my Studio Speakers at home. Having said that I have an identical patch with JC120 instead where it was less noticeable. In all it lacked the clarity of my cheap studio speaker and the PA at rehearsal space I am used to.

Not sure I am happy with purchase at the moment.

I will build a new patch from ground up and see how I go.

Any input appreciated.

Personally packed her back up for return to Sweetwater. Made sure to ask for a demo unit just in case of this. I'm keeping an eye on line 6 though, good idea... Just didn't work for me. I think I'm just too used to my rig and have much invested in her.

Back to building the tube power amp rig. Hoping to not lug around that to roadking anymore!!!!!

Lol..... I just don't under stand why a $700 solid state solution that weighs 35lbs can't match the $4000 200lb one I've got. 

^^ sarcasm

I didn't have that problem.  What i did notice though, was when I thought I had a good balanced tone at home, when I took it to practice, it was really bright.   Also, setting speaker volumes to be pretty much the same volume was a pain.   I first did direct outs from it to my DAW and got all the levels pretty even on a clean Helix channel with no blocks except for the volume pedal.   Leveled all my presets on the Helix too.  When I took it to practice, some speakers seemed louder, so I then mic'd the Powercab and evened out the speaker volumes.   Hopefully this will work. 

On 5/29/2018 at 10:33 PM, roscoe5 said:

Well, I'm really still impressed and happy overall.  I bought it mainly as an FRFR solution, which it does very well while being a small, lightweight form factor with guitar amp vibe.  LF Raw mode was a usable bonus that I wasn't expecting.

It almost seems that Line 6 should bring a little bit of the HF driver in on the speaker models.  I think it is turned off completely.  While not as extreme as running Helix amps and cab models/IR's into one of my V30 cabs, there is a bit of that double dipping speaker modeling vibe and dullness. 

I do want to reiterate that the sound out of the XLR with mic model is great!

With a mic and a spectrum analizer I found the LF Flat and LF Raw modes has the hi driver iff, but has a normal ahi freq response compared to the speaker models. It appears to me that rhe speaker models has an Eq applied to it that cuts the low and Hi end of the spectrum.... something that sounds good from XLR to PA, but sounds muffled directly to the speaker. I think Line6 forgot NOT to apply this Hi and alow cuts to the speaker emulation models when it is heard from the apowercab itself.... and only apply that to the XLR outputs. Thoughts?

I still believe speaker simulation is sounding muffled due the -14dB~-15dB level set by default (raw and flat are at 0dB). Imho, at that level, the drivers are barely moving, unless you crank the volume up a lot. 

For those finding the tone a bit muffled, you should try the HF trim, that does allow you to control the gain just on the high frequency driver. At +6dB it's making me happy. Give it a try! ;)

73F30ECC-8AA5-4B24-823B-C8E753DC282B.jpeg

• Like 1

That only works in FRFR mode when the tweeter is on.

• Upvote 1