giggles666

Bug with Joystick After 2.80 Update

I'm having some weird issues after the Helix 2.80 update. My joystick is now wonky. I can no longer "push" the joystick in to open the model list when making or editing blocks. I have to use HX Edit or manually turn the joystick to go through every effect or amp I'd like to use. While not mission-critical it's annoying to have to turn the knob for 3 minutes until I get to the amps.

Any advice or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

And it's not a DSP issue, I've tried it on new/blank presets as well

I had the same - try a really quick push of the button - if you push it in slow, it will not respond 

8 hours ago, giggles666 said:

I'm having some weird issues after the Helix 2.80 update. My joystick is now wonky. I can no longer "push" the joystick in to open the model list when making or editing blocks. I have to use HX Edit or manually turn the joystick to go through every effect or amp I'd like to use. While not mission-critical it's annoying to have to turn the knob for 3 minutes until I get to the amps.

Hi,

You don't say what type of Helix - Floor, Rack or LT and how old it is. 

I have owned my floor unit since November 2015 and a couple of weeks back the rotary section of the joystick failed. No warning, nothing playing up. just stopped - dead. It happens without warning and at first you think that you maybe imagining it, but no - it's gone. With mine, the jog function still worked and similar to you I found that I could use HX Edit as a work round, but it needed to be fixed. PITA to try saving and naming a new preset on the unit.  If it had happened just after a firmware update, like you, I would have suspected that as being the cause. Although on various sites around the internet you will find comments from people who have had the joystick fail on units that are almost new and older ones that have been on the road for years. It's not a big deal, and if it actually is a hardware issue rather than a problem caused by the Firmware update, it will probably be one of the solder tags has failed and needs reconnecting.  Have a Line 6 Service engineer check it out if it's still under warranty, or even if not, it will still need mending.

Hope this helps

I had a joystick failure on my first Helix, and as datacommando says, it happens very suddenly. No indications of impending failure, it just works one second and not the next. The correlation with the 2.8 update could be coincidental.

correlation.png

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, giggles666 said:

Check in the Global Settings———>Preferences

Check that Joystick Encoder it’s set to Model. This is the original behavior.

If it’s set to Selection, it is moving Left/Right while rotating, but you can still select Models if you rotate while pushing.

• Upvote 2

Hey, thanks, everyone. I will try some of the suggestions with Global Settings. Yeah, it's a big pain to make presets without HX edit so hopefully, even if it's a repair it's worth it. I am so addicted to this thing lol.

Sorry, it's a Helix LT and is about 1.5 years old.

This happened on my LT too after installing 2.80.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the joystick as you can turn it and press it to select the setlist you want

after pressing the left hand encoder. It doesn't work when trying to select the model, although you can turn it and

it will scroll through ALL the models.

I went back to 2.71 and the joystick behaves as expected (as expected).

It would be great if it was just a setting issue, I’d forgotten that the joystick behaviour was tinkered with in the update.

Be interested to know if this is simply something that happened with the Update when the Globals were reset, which it could well be, as noted by “NickM62” when reverted to 2.71 everything was fine.

On the other hand, should it be the result of a sudden hardware failure, a repair is not too expensive. Approx £100 in the U.K.

Ok I've been able to repro, and seems some instability in the code.

Basically both click and rotate, to select models and/or to access the model page, are like hanging and/or not responding, but yeah, isn't hardware related; it's code which seems looping somewhere and losing realtime catching on the Joystick status.

This problem it's happening only when Joystick Encoder it's set to "model", so I'm pretty sure it's related to the update. (even because the same Joystick works flawless for any other browsing action, outside the patch).

On ‎07‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, PierM said:

Check in the Global Settings———>Preferences

Check that Joystick Encoder it’s set to Model. This is the original behavior.

If it’s set to Selection, it is moving Left/Right while rotating, but you can still select Models if you rotate while pushing.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My joy stick works fine for everything but adding a new model in an unoccupied location.  I have to double tap it (not hard just twice).  Then it wakes up to let me select the model I want to add.  If a model is existing at that location it works fine.  I'll check this when I get home this evening.

Mine is doing this as well, seems intermittent.

Sounds like something that will have to be fixed in version 2.81