Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.9 Helix-HX Command Center Snapshots/Preset Tutorial

Lone_Poor_Boy

I have to say, as a new Helix user, I feel extremely fortunate this has been included.  The one thing I had felt with this floor unit; the only real limitation I had experienced so far, was the limitation to button assignments, and the vision I had, and their options did not meet that vision, but this does.  Basically it was "why doesn't something this advanced just to allow you to assign anything you want to any button?".

OMG....GAME CHANGER.  ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?!?!   DI (or other L6 peeps) if you read this...this is amazing!!

I havent had a chance to play with it, but...few questions...

1)I can see using it the way you had it laid out....utilizing a customized layout per preset as I run preset per song for my live use.  

However....the last part of your video where you did the HX Preset selection made me think.....

1) My setlist 1 is my 'core' tones.  Clean/Breakup/Country/Crunch/Rock/Hard Rock/Metal etc....normally I would save these (all the same template except Amp/CAB/IR or dist pedal choices really) and then copy/paste the appropriate amp/cab/effects into a song specific preset labeled 'Kryptonite' (for example, 3 Doors Down tune).  Utilizing my Clean chorus, Rock sound, and Rock Lead sound.

2) Could I essentially create a Kryptonite Preset, and now setup Preset Up/Down switches for advancing through the setlist and instead of copy/pasting my amp/cab/effects selections from my Core tones, just reference my Clean/Rock/Rock Lead presets from Setlist 1 using 3 HX Preset slots, but also then assign Stomp switches to the Delay/Chorus effects.  

Thus utilizing 2 Preset change buttons, 3 Preset location buttons and 2 Stomp Effect buttons?  I never use more than 4 snapshots really, so instead of trying to coax 4 sounds out of a single preset with 2 amps and bumping into DSP issues...I could just create 4 Presets that are dedicated to that specific sound, and then link them to the song specific preset in Setlist 3 for live use?  

Quick rough visual layout better maybe

Setlist 1

preset 1 - clean chorus (#000)

preset 2 - rock crunch (#001)

preset 3  - rock delay (#002)

Setlist 3

Kryptonite Preset - 10 button layout - #1 Preset Next, #2 Preset Previous, #3 HX Preset (000), #4 HX Preset (001), #5 HX Preset (002), #6 Chorus Stomp, #7 Delay Stomp.  #8/9/10 not in use. 

Also I see in the HX Edit screen the Mode/Tuner/Tap switches are showing, can those be moved/changed or are they hardcoded?  

Hey Metallikid, you probably want to ask on his Youtube channel where he posted this.  Though some folks here can probably answer it as well.  I just wanted to note this as it seems like you were asking me and I'm not Steve.

" Also I see in the HX Edit screen the Mode/Tuner/Tap switches are showing, can those be moved/changed or are they hardcoded?"

Steve did note in the video it seems those two can't be changed.

i'm updating Helix currently...anyone know if I have presets listed as:

000 - clean

001 - clean chorus

002 - country clean

003 - fuzz

and I have a preset using 000, 001, 002 and a preset using 003, and move 003 to the 000 slot, will presets update automatically and follow the preset to the new slot location?  Or will I have to re-link to the new location using the command center?

10 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

I'm not Steve Sterlacci but this new feature with 2.9 seemed pretty powerful.  If I am grasping correctly you can now set your 10 buttons to anything, in each preset.

Wow this opens a whole new addition!

I'm a Stomp on top/Snapshot bottom row guy

Top row my favorite: Stomps pedals

Bottom Snaps: Clean - Drive - Lead1 - Lead2

And then mode button to go to 10 Stomp pedals (Which takes me back to analog pedal board mindset, pre pedal board loopers)

I don't need to usually go to Mode stomp, when playing the main set, as I have mapped it out in advance.
But this gives some major options! for that 10 options! Because in 10 stomp mode, you back to analog stomp board dance (2 or 3 taps before your ready), but now hmm what can I do??? nice

So my new test is making 8 Snapshots, but can I have only the 4 basic show up in Stomp\Snaps, but have the 5-8 available in 10 stomp mode? Looking forward to test this!

Wow back to thinking and testing how I can implements new options! Thx Line 6!!!

Just found my first 'snag' with this new feature.  

First my thoughtful approach....Use Setlist 1 for new library of core presets.  I have 8 tones, saved on the '10' of each preset number 10/20/30 etc.... This allows effect varied version of those core/dry tones to be saved in the spaces between them.  Was going to then use setlist 2 to setup a Master Song library of songs per preset.  Those presets using this great new feature to reference my core tones in setlist 1.  

However, you can't jump setlists when doing the HX Preset option it only references the 128 presets within that setlist.  

Not a problem, just requiring me to think outside of a box I didnt know existed until now.  Being that most of our setlists consist of 40-50 songs that we actually play and usually 10-15 extra/audibles available....that still leaves about 60+ presets.  As I create the song specific presets I'll just need to copy/paste the Core Tone from the Core Setlist into the Setlist for live use, and paste the presets at the end of the setlist, allowing my songs to start with 000 and reference presets within the setlist then. 

Just gave this a quick try, but it seems that on a LT you cannot programme switches 1 and 7.

Cool feature and good tutorial, but I have yet to find the problem to which this new feature provides the solution. I'll keep playing with it though ... just because I can :-)

I have typically been an 8 Snapshot layout user. But, in reality, a couple of the snapshots weren't that different - maybe adding a stomp on/off. I probably could have been a 4/4 user with the exception on 1 preset where I did need 5 snapshots within that preset. I don't use that many presets during a gig. I can get most of what I need with snapshots. 

I've been playing with this new config ability and it is VERY cool. I could be a 4/4 Snap/Stomp user, and when needed, hit the Mode button to go to 10 stomps/snaps to go deeper.

Now that I am thinking about the possibilities, I started messing around while in the 10 Stomp Mode. When I assign one of the switches to be a snapshot, the switch LED does not remain "on" like it does when turning on a stomp, or like when in Snapshot mode, indicating which snapshot you are on.

Has anyone else tried/noticed this? Not a big deal, just seeing if perhaps I have done something wrong. 

EDIT: I figured it out! If you choose to customize the color/name of the Snapshot, what I described above happens. Perhaps a minor bug. But if you just pick an existing Snapshot and change nothing else, the LED reacts as expected.

Edited by scotterp
Figured it out!

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

I guess it's a cool feature, but I can't say it's a "game changer" as far as what I need out of my Helix.

I hear that it isnt for everyone. It just allows me to not cap how I design presets for a majority of the songs we do.  start putting dual amps in a preset to cover clean/dirty tones, then seperate OD's to flavor each if your doing a gritty addition to the clean and one to boost the dirty amp, then if you have a wah before the amp (of course), run an IR and post EQ along with reverb, delay and maybe additional effect after the cab if needed...my core tones that I designed and were happy with now have to start making consolation adjustments and while its not life breaking...in my head I know i hear whats 'missing'.  I get it, but it allows me to now approach my core tones and preset/songs in a different way where I dont have to compromise.  

1 hour ago, scotterp said:

I have typically been an 8 Snapshot layout user. But, in reality, a couple of the snapshots weren't that different - maybe adding a stomp on/off. I probably could have been a 4/4 user with the exception on 1 preset where I did need 5 snapshots within that preset. I don't use that many presets during a gig. I can get most of what I need with snapshots. 

I've been playing with this new config ability and it is VERY cool. I could be a 4/4 Snap/Stomp user, and when needed, hit the Mode button to go to 10 stomps/snaps to go deeper.

Now that I am thinking about the possibilities, I started messing around while in the 10 Stomp Mode. When I assign one of the switches to be a snapshot, the switch LED does not remain "on" like it does when turning on a stomp, or like when in Snapshot mode, indicating which snapshot you are on.

Has anyone else tried/noticed this? Not a big deal, just seeing if perhaps I have done something wrong. 

EDIT: I figured it out! If you choose to customize the color/name of the Snapshot, what I described above happens. Perhaps a minor bug. But if you just pick an existing Snapshot and change nothing else, the LED reacts as expected.

I think when you first choose the snapshot/preset option, the color defaults to automatic, which is what was originally saved for that snapshot.  if you have conflicting colors between snapshot/stomp buttons you can change them and maybe the functionality of the snapshot dim/bright because its defaulting to the Stomp mode of on/off maybe?  no?

Still excited for this feature.  I feel like the amp/pedals/cabs and such are secondary for myself.  I used to have a LAMF foot controller for my Axe FX...that thing was a programming customizing beast.  This update feature has basically taken my Axe Fx capabilities and smashed them with a lot of the features I loved in the LAMF.   WHOOT!

I have a Helix LT 2.91~

In the command center I switched FS6 and FS12 to the looper but they retain the mode and tap function at the same time. So if I set FS6 to looper and play it also switches to mode view as looper plays.

Can I disengage these functions while it's set to looper?  

I’ve experienced the same customisation issue outlined by Scotterp where the foot switch does not stay highlighted when you select it.  However, I’ve discovered that you can get around this problem by customising the snapshot at the preset level on the Helix.  Just press the PRESET button and use the options available there.  All works fine using this approach.

3 minutes ago, silvershark1234 said:

I’ve experienced the same customisation issue outlined by Scotterp where the foot switch does not stay highlighted when you select it.  However, I’ve discovered that you can get around this problem by customising the snapshot at the preset level on the Helix.  Just press the PRESET button and use the options available there.  All works fine using this approach.

Yeah there was a thread I started or joined on TGP that addressed this somewhat.  If you customize a snapshot in the "mode/command center screen" something doesn't map or work right. The presets that I've been doing lately, I've already had the snapshots setup on the preset level, and then just customized the layout in the command center screen to make my screen cleaner for performances.  Havent had issues really since that. 

However, I'm not sure if its a programming issue or my button pushing or mechanical buttons.  Back when momentary stomps were released I had issues with them flipping the bypass states between the on/off momentary pushes.  But a few times I've tried to go from one snapshot to another in the Stomp Mode, it seems that it didn't want to change.  I was using socks on my feet, sitting down or reaching with my hands from my desk chair....  so it very well could be my technique when quality checking my preset and snapshot changes.

Fwiw, IMO this is a perfect addition for quarantine/lockdown times, too. Why? Because you can now use the looper (one of my best quarantine friends, neither of the two of us needs to wear a mask, either) without permanently having to go back and forth between modes should you want to alter something in the patch. Also, as someone with an almost worthless left foot (no, it's not dysfunctional by any means, but my rightfoot-orientation is very strong), I absolutely enjoy being able to place the most important looper commands next to the EXP pedal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

And fwiw, yes, I absolutely believe that this will become a game changer for my live patches. Just that I won't be able to try things out for a year to come or so...

Just when I thought I knew what I was doing with the Helix.  So ... I am using this "shut-in" time to accomplish many home, music, & fun projects.  This is an amazing feature.  Looks like my Helix project just got #1 priority!

Dennis

Hello guys, I own a hx effect, depending on the presets, when I'm on snapshot 1, (default for my presets), set on switch 1 in command center, the edit/exit switch lights red continuously. Does anyone know what it means? 

Also, when I'm on any snapshot , the snap 1 switch is white but not bright (even if I'm on snap 1) and the 3 others switch (snap 2, 3 and 4) are bright led when turned on and black when off... 

This doesn't really make sense 

2 hours ago, Kingkong11 said:

Hello guys, I own a hx effect, depending on the presets, when I'm on snapshot 1, (default for my presets), set on switch 1 in command center, the edit/exit switch lights red continuously. Does anyone know what it means? 

Also, when I'm on any snapshot , the snap 1 switch is white but not bright (even if I'm on snap 1) and the 3 others switch (snap 2, 3 and 4) are bright led when turned on and black when off... 

This doesn't really make sense 

I'm on a full Helix, so I can't reproduce that, but there seem to be some rather erratic things happening related to the LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that , at least on my Helix LT, if you set a button color in the Command Center, it is overridden by the Snapshot color selected even if you have the snapshot button color set to Auto.  So, for instance, if you set the button color to pink in the Command Center but the button color is set to Auto in the Snapshot, the color will be red (the default color for a snapshot).

yeah there are definately some behavior flaws when controlling snapshots in the Stomp Mode vs other modes.  

1) I've noticed my snapshots when i push them while playing, almost seem to register a (2nd push) so it resorts back to the previous snapshot immeidately and a 2nd attempt to select the snapshot then sticks.  I've played through our live sets a few times at home with this and there are lots of times I've noticed this.  Socks, shoes, programming in a chair or performing songs standing up....same erratic behavior.  

2) I have 1 preset that snapshots work fine in my 4/4 split mode, but in Stomp Mode, i cannot change from the original snapshot.  I have 3 programmed Rhythm, Bridge, Lead.  And when I push the Bridge or Lead snapshots the 'E' shows up near the name of the preset on the screen, but no audible/visual changes happen in my preset.  I can exit stomp mode and snapshots work fine without backing out and rearming the preset.  This was one of the last songs i programmed out of about 90, so I know I set it up correctly.  Even double checked, restarted Helix, etc and same behavior on this preset only.  

3) I've noticed a lag when changing presets as well.  I have a Preset Prev/Next buttons programmed and they work, but there is a lag in the change time vs my 4/4 split mode.  Also, it'd be helpful if I could somehow see the names of the Next/Prev presets in my setlist.  Otherwise I'm going into a song blindly.  (I recognize I can look on my paperlist, but when singing and playing, in the 4/4 mode, its nice to see the next 4 songs coming up or bank up and preview the next songs coming.  If we were to get a request, I'd have to exit into 4/4 mode and then bank up/down to find the request, then enter stomp mode again...I can handle this, but it'd be cool to see the next/prev presets somewhere.  Not sure where you would display that though. 

15 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I can handle this, but it'd be cool to see the next/prev presets somewhere.  Not sure where you would display that though. 

As one idea: The scribble strips could display the preset name using a special font, the latter indicating it was indeed "next/previous" preset rather than some obscure custom switch label you came up with.

• 1 month later...

Finally Digging in to Command Center to control a BeatBuddy drum machine and so far it seems incredibly powerful.   I just wish we could have another, dedicated, layout of buttons just for command center controls.   Meaning, we have snapshots, stomp, and stomp/snap currently available for use.   I'd like a command center layout option.    I like to have, in addition to snapshots defined, all of my effects assigned to pedals for ad-hoc control while playing.  This leaves little to no space on the board for midi control.   I'd love to be able to hit the mode button and see 8 or 10 switches to select kits, presets, hit accents, change volume, etc. without losing virtual space on my pedal board.

Seems like it'd be a pretty easy UI element to implement.