Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How long have you had your JTV59? Do you use it daily?

The reason I am asking is because the switches and knobs on mine (which I have had almost a year) feel very sketchy.  They work, mostly, except sometimes I have to flip the 3-way a couple of times on magnetic pickups for the bridge position to get it to work right.  The switch itself just feels cheap, like it is one wrong flick from breaking off.  Also, the volume knob just falls off at times.  Don't get me wrong here, overall I like this guitar and being able to change styles and tunings at the selection of an HD500 preset is pretty awesome and I don't gig anymore so I avoid all that potential hassle as well.

The real reason I am asking is because I am eyeing a pair of L2 series StageSource speakers to replace my pair of Tech21 Power Engines.  I would likely do this if the build quality of the Variax wasn't so sketchy because the kind of setup I would get out of this would be awesome with the biggest benefit being better acoustic guitar tones.  But if I dump another $1500 or whatever into a pair of these only to have my JTV59 go wonky in 4 months or such, that would truly suck. As an asside, does anyone have this configuration and care to comment on it here?

I've had my 59P for almost a year now. I gig about once a month but play it almost daily. It has held up well and I have not had any trouble with the switches or knobs. I also use the HD500 and a DT-25. No problems with any of them.

The reason I am asking is because the switches and knobs on mine (which I have had almost a year) feel very sketchy.  They work, mostly, except sometimes I have to flip the 3-way a couple of times on magnetic pickups for the bridge position to get it to work right.  The switch itself just feels cheap, like it is one wrong flick from breaking off.  Also, the volume knob just falls off at times.  Don't get me wrong here, overall I like this guitar and being able to change styles and tunings at the selection of an HD500 preset is pretty awesome and I don't gig anymore so I avoid all that potential hassle as well.

The real reason I am asking is because I am eyeing a pair of L2 series StageSource speakers to replace my pair of Tech21 Power Engines.  I would likely do this if the build quality of the Variax wasn't so sketchy because the kind of setup I would get out of this would be awesome with the biggest benefit being better acoustic guitar tones.  But if I dump another $1500 or whatever into a pair of these only to have my JTV59 go wonky in 4 months or such, that would truly suck. As an asside, does anyone have this configuration and care to comment on it here?

that's not good if the bridge pickup isn't working all the time. My SG has that problem and I hate it. You should get your switch repaired.

smrybacki: I would open a support ticket while your JTV is still under warranty (almost a year old?).

I am pretty sure I got a 2 year warranty because I bought it at Sweetwater too, but what would they do exactly?

I mean, it does work most of the time and only intermittently goes wonk.  I figure I'll just replace the switch when it goes totally wonky.

• 1 month later...

I bought my JTV59 the first year it came out and immediately had problems with the 3-way switch (this was a common problem on the early models). I do not gig but play at home most days. When using the mags I had to twist and toggle the switch to get the middle pick-up to work. I suffered this for a few weeks until the modelling stopped working so I returned the guitar to the dealer.

The problems were fixed and the guitar was fine for a few years until this summer the toggle 3-way switch problem started again plus the input jack became temperamental and I would often have to fiddle with the cable to get a proper connection.

Since the warranty had expired I decided to allow a guitar tech at a store in Markham, Ontario, Canada to take a look at it. He installed a new input jack ordered from LIne 6 and fixed wiring problems in the 3-way unit. It cost me $80.

Since then the guitar has been fine. Apart from the issues cited above I love this guitar. The flexibility is excellent, the sounds are amazing and the playability great.

Mine suffer from the same problem as yours, since I rely on alt tuning for live use I just stay on the modeled guitars, I figured I should order the switch, because I know it needs changing, I heard full compass took a while to get your parts to you?

A factory switch recall would be nice, because my 10-month old -59 has a flimsy feel, played weekly.  I stroke the switch carefully, unlike my sturdy LP standard which has been languishing in the guitar closet.  I miss the LP action (D'addario 10's both) because I've never been able to get the -59 to play as sweetly across the whole fretboard after a couple adjustments.  I think the jumbo frets are the reason.  But still, as with most of you Homers, I am so thrilled with the unbelievable tonal potential of the JTV, I'll grit it out a little while longer. 

Oops, slightly off topic.....dang flimsy switch annoying.

Warcloudwells

• 3 weeks later...