6 replies to this topic

#1 FoxtrotVIII

FoxtrotVIII

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hello i have a problem with my Pod HD500, and any help would be appreciated.

I have had my HD500 a little over 6 months now and im having a problem with two of my foot switches that are not reliable. It takes a good 10-20 presses to activate/deactivate these two switches, and somtimes i cannot get them to work at all.

I am wondering if there are upgraded switches i can have installed? or maybe a way to repair my current ones? this seems to be a fairly common problem on the HD500.

I see now the HD500X has fixed this problem... maybe there is a trade in deal? or possibly some way to upgrade to those switches? any help or info would be appreciated.

#2 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

This thread has some very good info about the footswitches and explains how you can clean them yourself which often fixes problems like you are describing:  http://line6.com/sup...switch-upgrade/

Hope that helps.

#3 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

I had a similar problem when I owned a X3Live a number of years ago. The foot switches on that model were prone to failure. Mine did and I had to take it in to a service center for repair/replacement foot switches. I don't know if the HD500 uses the same switches or not but they may be. I for one am glad they updated the switches on the HD500X.

#4 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

more good info for fixing your own footswitches

http://line6.com/sup...500/#entry29367

Picture4.png

#5 Bushman2

Bushman2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Had the same problem a couple of months ago.

Found this youtube on X3Live switches which, after opening my HD500 up, are the same switches apparently. *LINK*

I posted this article as well... *LINK*

I ended up sending it in to Line 6 and they fixed it for free, but I still have the switches for when it malfunctions again...

#6 jffshphrd

jffshphrd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

I've been using the ax2 (on my 2nd one) for 10 or so years and the footswitches have been a periodic problem. Early on I decided to take care of the problem myself. If the Pod switches are the same there can be a couple of problems ... both concerning that little spring that makes contact with the pc board switch. These springs can get a little crooked or compressed over time and just need to be straightened or stretched out (a little) . I'm no repair man but there are some things we novices can do on our own.

#7 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've been using the ax2 (on my 2nd one) for 10 or so years and the footswitches have been a periodic problem. Early on I decided to take care of the problem myself. If the Pod switches are the same there can be a couple of problems ... both concerning that little spring that makes contact with the pc board switch. These springs can get a little crooked or compressed over time and just need to be straightened or stretched out (a little) . I'm no repair man but there are some things we novices can do on our own.

a HUGE +1 to this post.  The MAJORITY of FS problems can be fixed this way.  The physical part of the switch is almost indestructible and in fact NEVER makes contact with the circuit board no matter how hard you press down.  The switch on the circuit board rarely if ever fails, while it may have a bad solder joint once in a blue moon.  It is usually the spring that is positioned between the physical FS and the circuit board that is the culprit.  My experience on many boards including ones for other systems (Digitech) is the springs get compressed and no longer impart enough pressure to the contact above the circuit board switch resulting in poor operation.  Simply spraying contact cleaner may release a sticking switch but won't fix the spring problem.

Its a dead simple fix if you want to take the unit apart.  Just take the spring and give it a little pull to extend its length a bit and you're back in business.  The switches on the circuit board work the same as the ones on your keyboard, they are just pressure sensitive contact switches, not physical switches as you might suspect.  Use a can of compressed air while you are in there to blow out the cobwebs if any and you should be good to go.  Don't extend the springs too long or you might have a switch stuck on but I have never had that problem.

Hey, its free and its worth a shot...

Picture4.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd 500, pod 500, pod hd 500, not working, replacement, foot switches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users