Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

It's Out Jtv 2.10, + Workbench Hd Through The Pod!

Workbench HD     Workbench HD Version 2.10

Released 4/22/14

Works with:

James Tyler Variax

POD HD Pro

POD HD Pro X

POD HD500

POD HD500X

Variax USB Interface

Variax & Workbench Release Notes v2.10

This FREE update of Variax firmware and Workbench software addresses a selection of performance issues and is recommended for all owners of James Tyler Variax guitars.

Variax HD v2.10 adds:

•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X

•Smoother model switching

Note: Variax v2.10 firmware is compatible with v2.00 models. We recommend backing up your presets with Workbench before updating Variax firmware.

Workbench HD v2.10 adds:

•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X

•Much faster initial sync between Workbench HD and Variax

•Bridge and Middle pickups are now combined correctly

About Variax HD

Variax HD is a free firmware upgrade for all James Tyler® Variax® guitars. Variax HD delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6's next-generation modeling technology. The team captured more detail than ever before, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel - perfect for capturing inspired performances.

In order to load this update, connect your James Tyler Variax guitar to Line 6 Monkey using the Workbench interface included with your guitar, or a POD with VDI input.

Variax HD includes the following major improvements:

-HD guitar and pickup modeling offers a major evolution of our Variax modeling technology. This advancement improves the playability of the guitars as well as the authenticity of their tone.

-Alternate tuning of 12 strings. You can now create your own customer tunings of 12-string instruments and store them in Workbench.

-With the included Workbench HD software you can blend in the magnetic pickup signal into your Variax model.

Known issues:

-Custom patches are not retained when updating from Variax 1.X to Variax HD. In this case Variax HD update will replace all of the presets in your James Tyler Variax guitars with all-new HD guitars. Variax HD introduces the new HD preset format to Workbench HD and the guitar. Be sure to backup any customer presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware. For a full list of Variax HD models, please visit line6.com.

For JTV-89 Customers Only: The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 and loaded into custom bank 1 are now available in the Workbench software by loading the custom JTV bank available online.

About Workbench Software

Variax Workbench HD is the companion editor for the James Tyler® Variax® guitars with Variax HD firmware. The all-new Workbench HD software lets you mix and match body styles, pickups, components and more to create unique instruments or revered classics. Thanks to a variety of customer-requested features, you have even more control when tweaking existing HD instruments or creating new ones from scratch. Think of it like your own personal custom shop for James Tyler Variax.

Workbench HD is available as a download from http://www.line6.com/software or from within the Line 6 Monkey firmware installer application. Workbench HD is compatible with all James Tyler Variax guitars that have been updated with the Variax HD firmware V2.0 or greater.

The Variax Workbench HD installer and Variax Workbench HD software provide instructions for setting up your computer, guitar and the included hardware and software. Please run the installer or the Variax Workbench HD software to view these instructions. You must be connected to the Internet to perform this installation.

PLEASE NOTE: The James Tyler Variax guitar must be connected to your computer via the Workbench VDI-to-USB interface or VDI-to-POD HD-to-USB in order to use Workbench HD.

OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8  ( 23.19 MB ) GET DOWNLOAD 

Flash Memory       Version 2.10

Released 4/22/14

Works with:

James Tyler Variax

Variax & Workbench Release Notes v2.10

This FREE update of Variax firmware and Workbench software addresses a selection of performance issues and is recommended for all owners of James Tyler Variax guitars.

Variax HD v2.10 adds:

•Smoother model switching

Note: Variax v2.10 firmware is compatible with v2.00 models. We recommend backing up your presets with Workbench before updating Variax firmware.

Workbench HD v2.10 adds:

•Much faster initial sync between Workbench HD and Variax

About Variax HD

Variax HD is a free firmware upgrade for all James Tyler® Variax® guitars. Variax HD delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6's next-generation modeling technology. The team captured more detail than ever before, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel - perfect for capturing inspired performances.

In order to load this update, connect your James Tyler Variax guitar to Line 6 Monkey using the Workbench interface included with your guitar, or a POD with VDI input.

Variax HD includes the following major improvements:

-HD guitar and pickup modeling offers a major evolution of our Variax modeling technology. This advancement improves the playability of the guitars as well as the authenticity of their tone.

-Alternate tuning of 12 strings. You can now create your own customer tunings of 12-string instruments and store them in Workbench.

-With the included Workbench HD software you can blend in the magnetic pickup signal into your Variax model.

Known issues:

-Custom patches are not retained when updating from Variax 1.X to Variax HD. In this case Variax HD update will replace all of the presets in your James Tyler Variax guitars with all-new HD guitars. Variax HD introduces the new HD preset format to Workbench HD and the guitar. Be sure to backup any customer presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware. For a full list of Variax HD models, please visit line6.com.

For JTV-89 Customers Only: The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 and loaded into custom bank 1 are now available in the Workbench software by loading the custom JTV bank available online.

About Workbench Software

Variax Workbench HD is the companion editor for the James Tyler® Variax® guitars with Variax HD firmware. The all-new Workbench HD software lets you mix and match body styles, pickups, components and more to create unique instruments or revered classics. Thanks to a variety of customer-requested features, you have even more control when tweaking existing HD instruments or creating new ones from scratch. Think of it like your own personal custom shop for James Tyler Variax.

Workbench HD is available as a download from http://www.line6.com/software or from within the Line 6 Monkey firmware installer application. Workbench HD is compatible with all James Tyler Variax guitars that have been updated with the Variax HD firmware V2.0 or greater.

The Variax Workbench HD installer and Variax Workbench HD software provide instructions for setting up your computer, guitar and the included hardware and software. Please run the installer or the Variax Workbench HD software to view these instructions. You must be connected to the Internet to perform this installation.

PLEASE NOTE: The James Tyler Variax guitar must be connected to your computer via the Workbench VDI-to-USB interface or VDI-to-POD HD-to-USB in order to use Workbench HD.

OS: Windows XP, Mac OS X, Windows 7, Mac OS Snow Leopard, Mac OS Lion, Mac OS Mountain Lion, Windows 8, Mac OS Mavericks 

• Upvote 2

Great! Can't wait to try this out. I have not used Workbench HD for more than 5 minutes since it's release because it did not work through my Pod HD500/Pro. Pure laziness, I know... But still....

This is something a lot of people have been asking for.

What!?? You expect to see something less than a thoroughly grateful and fully satisfied user community after something they have loudly requested is delivered? That would be shocking!!!

Lol...let the games begin!

I never upgrade on day one...with anything. Gotta wait for the techies to try it out, pull it apart and see what works and what doesn't. For all we know, the D string will now only spit out the call of the yellow-bellied sapsucker if you're facing north while you play...too many quirks with these things. Right now mine's working, and I'd like to keep it that way.

ok so I just completed the update and it went smoothly with no hickups.  First I updated Workbench HD with Monkey, no problems.  Then I connected my JTV-69 with the USB brick (remember to charge your battery and use a 1/4" dummy plug to turn on) and In Monkey selected Change Device.  It brought up a new window and I selected the JTV.  Now it showed needing the update and it also went smoothly.  Takes a while but it gets it done.

Now with JTV connected to HD500 and HD500 connected to computer with USB I can open Workbench and it sees the JTV and downloads all 60 models in a snap, very fast.  I can also open HD Edit simultaneously.  Connected to my DT25 with L6 link everything works together seemlessly.  I can change models and patches on the computer in their individual programs without any interference.

For the first time I actually used the blending for the mags and it sounds great.  I saved some blended models to Custom 1 to play with later.  Sounds awesome, don't know if anything else was fixed but it is fine in my book... :D

PS - Windows 7, tower not laptop, FIOS broadband, USB 2.0...

BTW...  Homerun!

• Upvote 4

Here's what happened with my update.....

- JTV59 -> PodHD Pro -> PC via USB. PC running Windows 7 Professional

- powered on HD Pro and computer

- ran Line 6 Monkey

- default device selected was HD Pro. Monkey showed HD Workbench update available - v2.10

- updated Workbench HD with no issues

- ran Line 6 Monkey again; selected JTV59 as device. Monkey showed JTV update available; v2.10

- updated JTV with no issues; opted not to retain existing JTV presets

After installing both updates successfully I cycled the power on the HD Pro, just for kicks.

Launched HD Workbench. It immediately identified the JTV and uploaded all presets within a few seconds. Because there had been previous issues regarding the Spank model I selected it as the first test. I was able to adjust the string volumes to normalize the top two strings with the other four. I loaded the revised preset from Workbech HD to the JTV without issue. I then exited Workbench HD. The string volume leveling continued to be in effect in the JTV. I restarted Workbench HD. It loaded all presets again in seconds. The revised settings from the previous session were evident in Workbench HD.

Total time expired for all of the above, including string volume adjustments: Less than 10 minutes.

All looks good so far.  (another Home Run, cruisinon2! Better find the hot dog guy soon. I think he's leaving the stadium.)

LOL! Now thats good timing. I just packed my HD 500 away in its original box since it was replaced by the Kemper. BUT I now have the Line 6 Power Box for the Variax and still have the Ethernet/USB cable so if I feel the urge to mess with HD Workbench 2.10 I can. I havent been motivated to do it yet but you never know.

The string volumes are all over the place. Again. It's not my job to level them.

Back to 1.9 we go. Again.

Don't worry, I won't be spoiling your fun. 
I now know what to expect in the future. Lesson learned.

• Upvote 1

Why on earth wouldn't a fix for the string volume levels be included?

It was one of the major errors with 2.0.

Shows lack of attention to details IMHO.

Kinda like having a new car with a dent in the hood from the factory

and your supposed to be happy with it.

Yeh, you can fix it yourself, but you shouldn't have too.

Come on version 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 etc.....

Chuckie

• Upvote 1

All looks good so far. (another Home Run, cruisinon2! Better find the hot dog guy soon. I think he's leaving the stadium.)

Well, there are 3 basic possiblities, right?

A] You couldn't get the update to work.

B] It worked and you think its the best thing since indoor plumbing, and you will scream from the rooftops about the magnanimous generosity of those who have bestowed such a gift upon you.

C] It worked, but you hate it, consider it to be an utter failure, and you will scream from the rooftops about the lack of vision of those responsible.

So far I count 3 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's, and one "I don't care because I bought a Kemper".... :lol: lmao. Almost a completely even split...lol, with equal servings of praise, vitriol, plus one or two things entirely irrelevant to the discussion. More or less exactly what I expected, lol.

But admittedly, it's still early in the game. I'll be waiting for a larger sample size before trying it for myself and rendering a verdict....but no reason to yank the pitcher just yet ;)

Hello everyone

C'est la merde :

"There was an error communicating with your device. If it is a USB device, try disconnecting then reconnecting the USB cable.

Error: (Code 8000900C) MIDI device timed out waiting for a response."

Et le pire :

- Les led s'allument en bleu, vert ... 

- Plus de son

- Impossible d'installer les anciens firmwares.

-----> JT89   Hors Service.

Thank line6

Have a good day.

This was a nice surprise this morning.  And it worked fine - no issues.  All it does is sort a couple of the biggest issues with 2.0 - but that is an entirely good thing.  And there don't even appear to be any downsides!

yeah, that's the line stated:

It's fixed...

some didn't like the new strat even fixed though....

but it is 100% confirmed as modeled and intended by Line6.

Has the issue with Spank 2 (not being correctly updated from Workbench HD) been corrected?  Not a word about it in the release notes.

I haven't had a chance to test this one out yet, but I am hopeful that this fixes a distinct popping noise that was evident when switching presets in a Pod HD device, where the preset change also involved a JTV model change stored in the preset. This isue was apparently introduced with JTV v2.0; it was not present in JTV v1.9.

If anyone who previously noticed this problem has tested this yet in v2.1, please report......

(Note: this is simply my hope - not information from Line 6).

• Upvote 1

I haven't had a chance to test this one out yet, but I am hopeful that this fixes a distinct popping noise that was evident when switching presets in a Pod HD device, where the preset change also involved a JTV model change stored in the preset. This isue was apparently introduced with JTV v2.0; it was not present in JTV v1.9.

If anyone who previously noticed this problem has tested this yet in v2.1, please report......

Thanks silverhead - I hope you are right and it is referring to resolving the dreaded popping sound !    Waiting for confirmation from someone who has tried it out ....

I didn't specifically change patches with different JTV models assigned last night but I did multiple changes with both Workbench and HD Edit connected and there was never any sort of popping or noise associated with any of the model changes or patch changes.  The model changes were fast and seemless and silent.  I will try to replicte the previous popping conditions tonight and check it out but my guess is it has been fixed...

yeah, that's the line stated:

It's fixed...

some didn't like the new strat even fixed though....

but it is 100% confirmed as modeled and intended by Line6.

Thanks!  How silly of me to search the notes for the word "Spank" :-). 

I didn't specifically change patches with different JTV models assigned last night but I did multiple changes with both Workbench and HD Edit connected and there was never any sort of popping or noise associated with any of the model changes or patch changes.  The model changes were fast and seemless and silent.  I will try to replicte the previous popping conditions tonight and check it out but my guess is it has been fixed...

Thanks radatats - I look forward to hearing your findings and hopefully confirmation that Mr POP has left the building for good!    :)

@edstar1960: was it you who posted an Ideascale item proposing that this be fixed? What's the current status of that item on Ideascale?

It is currently number 2 on the HOT LIST under GUITARs section. It has 11 votes so far.  

In the RELEASED tab I can now see the "Variax/Workbench using POD HD as an interface".

So, I assume from that info, that the popping noise has not been addressed deliberately but perhaps it has been fixed as a side effect of latest updates......hopefully someone can confirm one way or another.

What a nice surprise!  I could not wait to see what kind of issues others had.  I downloaded new workbench and new flash memory files and both upgrades went perfectly.  It is so nice to be able to use WB and Edit at the same time while connected to my HD500x.  The models sound fine and I do not notice any problem with string volumes - but I didn't with 2.0 either.  I'm a happy camper.  Thanks Line6!

that's a pretty bold assumption...

i wouldn't count it out yet... i suspect that they had other internal reports on this and simply didn't work from the ideascale submission...

a good chance it's been addressed.... 

It is currently number 2 on the HOT LIST under GUITARs section. It has 11 votes so far.  

In the RELEASED tab I can now see the "Variax/Workbench using POD HD as an interface".

So, I assume from that info, that the popping noise has not been addressed deliberately but perhaps it has been fixed as a side effect of latest updates......hopefully someone can confirm one way or another.

I was hoping the Ideascale item would show it as Released; that would be clear confirmation. But, like Zap, I am inclined to think it may have been fixed intentionally but Ideascale has not yet been updated to reflect it. In any case, it's not the Ideascale status that matters; it's whether I still hear the popping. And I should have time later today to test and report on that.

that's a pretty bold assumption...

i wouldn't count it out yet... i suspect that they had other internal reports on this and simply didn't work from the ideascale submission...

a good chance it's been addressed.... 

Yep - I know - assumptions usually end up being wrong - anyway I hope it has been addressed and eagerly await confirmation.