Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New MeAmBobbo Patches

meambobbo

ok, i reworked my entire setlist (mostly) for the last time.  I can't get any better than this, and even if I can, it's not worth the effort.  There are a few turds still in here, but 95% of them are satisfying to my ear.  I hope you fellas enjoy.  Consult the rig list and legend files to see what the naming conventions mean, and try them on top of the albums they are designed to emulate where appropriate - I think they fit the mix quite well.

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/
http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/patches.zip
http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/TOTAL_MEAMBOBBO.zip

feel free to PM me with questions (or use the contact form on my site), and I hope these patches breathe new life into your Pods!!!

These are currently only available for HD500.  I think you can just change the extension and they'll work for the 500x.

I didn't buy the metal pack, but if you find a patch you like, I'd try to copy it in Edit, then reapply similar cab/mic settings when you change amps - I'm thinking the 5150 would sound pretty rad for many of these.

@DeanDinosaur, I haven't forgotten ab the Kemper challenge, but I have more productive things to work on for a bit longer.  We WILL eventually do it, and we'll get the Helix involved too!

• Upvote 6

Hey so I reworked basically all of my patches to make them way beefier and more natural sounding.  Here's a few I wanted to share.  Please let me know what you think:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/newHD500/

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/newHD500/podhd_latest.zip

These are currently only available for HD500.  I think you can just change the extension and they'll work for the 500x.

I didn't buy the metal pack, but if you find a patch you like, I'd try to copy it in Edit, then reapply similar cab/mic settings when you change amps - I'm thinking the 5150 would sound pretty rad for many of these.

@DeanDinosaur, I haven't forgotten ab the Kemper challenge, but I have more productive things to work on for a bit longer.  We WILL eventually do it, and we'll get the Helix involved too!

bobbo it's nice 2 hear from u.

a helix-vs-hd500-vs-kemper comparison wld be interesting.

in the mean time i have bundled ur patches in the attached setlist

regards

john

New MeAmBobbo.zip

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

unfortunately not yet - i'll try to get some up this week.  but for reference, I'm mainly using a EBMM JP6 with CrunchLab and Liquifire pickups.  This is the first version, I swapped the stock pickups out - probably a subtle difference from the models that come shipped with them.  Very nice for metal and hard rock (modern), but still quite balanced and can be very sweet.

For the "7S..." (7-string) patches, I used my Ibanez RGA8 which is outfitted with D-Activators.  These are definitely a bit more mid-spiky compared to the CrunchLab/Liquifire, but the guitar tone is overall pretty dark, and I'm typically going after a more aggressive chug-a-chug, quack-quack djent kid sound.  Although it's an 8 string, I mostly use it like a 7.  It's has a 27" scale, and I use 10 gauge strings tuned standard half-step down (F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).

I just retrofitted my old Yamaha Pacifica with a SD SSL-5 in the bridge and Fender Texas Specials for the middle and neck, and I'm using this for dialing in the single coil tones.  However, I didn't upload any of those yet - they aren't radically different from my old patches, anyway.

• Upvote 2

quick clip of the 7 string patches: Periphery, Chaosphere, Obzen, Scar Symmetry, Tesseract, and Veil of Maya.

http://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/pod-hd-7s-new-demo

I did rework a couple of the patches since originally posting the link - the edited patches are up and can be regrabbed from the original links.  This is still a WIP, so bear with me.  I'm actually still learning things, lol.

Here's a summary of the changes I made since the last go round.

- Many patches have less extreme boosting to thicken up the distortion tone

- I found Q Filter settings of freq 70-85% and Gain and Mix around 50% were the best ways to dial in the djent.

- If boosts necessary to get djenty left the tone thin, I'd use a Parametric EQ to thicken up the low mids.

- I reset the Amp DEP's to around 50% almost completely across the board, with any tweaks staying within a small window of 40-60%.  The only exception is Master Volume, and even here, I only boost it for the Plexi and JCM800, not the other models.  I didn't follow my own advice in my guide in this respect before and it did lots of weird, artifacty things to the tone.  If you're only listening to one aspect of things, it can initially seem like an extreme setting sounds great.  But then you notice some notes behave completely different than others, and your attack gets this weird dynamics and compressed sound.  Things are much more natural around 50%.

- For my dual cab approach, I leveled the volumes between channels much more evenly, rather than giving more prominence to the bright cab.

- I tried to use very similar if not identical EQ settings for both amps - different settings could reveal a kind of phasy, comb-filter type sound.  Identical settings almost always sound most natural.

- In addition to using more body from the darker cab, I generally made the amp EQ more balanced and less bright.

- I found for Low Pass settings on the Mid Focus EQ, often I am using Q above 50% to add a resonant peak to the highs, then use frequency to place it exactly where the tone needs it.  If a tone sounds dull, this is often a great way to make it cut through the mix, rather than just boosting treble across the board.  You have control exactly where you want to stand out.  I found this could be anywhere from 65% to 85% depending on the tone.

- I got tired of playing games with Input 2 - I just set it to Same, flipped Pad on, and kept the Input Impedance at 3.5 M globally.

- I tried to increase the volume as much as possible for all patches without clipping.  Often this was as simple as boosting the Gain on the Mid-Focus EQ at the end of the chain.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the new patches!!!

Although I've been spending all my time with Helix I think I'll give these a whirl tonight on the HD500X.

I'm curious to see how they sound with a Schecter KM-7 and an Ibanez RGIR27FE, both of which are 7 string guitars.  The KM-7 has SD Nazgul and Sentient Pickups and the Ibanez has EMG 707 actives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

bump - entire setlist updated...for the last time.  many of these came out REALLY good.  Some of the new techniques I used will be incorporated into my guide, which is being converted to a wiki.  If you are interested in taking a look, please PM me.

• Upvote 2

Everything is updated in the patches link. The ones that end with _N are the latest updates. The folders are by genre or by device, but its all the same patches. 3.5M and 1M should be negligible. I just wanted to avoid any high end attenuation. Really it probably doesnt matter.

• Upvote 2

Hey meambobbo, maybe you should contact Mark Knopfler that you finally nailed/found his long forgotten tone he searched since 1985 ;) Great work there!

Were you ever in the business of making patches by request? If yes, do you still? If no, why not? Start it! ;)

I think every new package with the HD500X should have come with a printed out guide of yours! The REAL user manual.

• Upvote 1

Hello All, MeAmBobbo,

I've been using Line 6 gear ever since I got hooked on the Spider iv modeling, and just recently acquired an HD500X to breakout of the amp and have standalone modeling with more input/output options (midi). And although the built in patches are useable, the deep editing takes some hard theory and time to really understand and properly execute..

I have to extend my most gracious thanks to MeAmBobbo for not only taking the time to understand this unit inside and out, but to have truly nailed every patch he ever looked at. Thorough doesn't even begin to describe his execution, and efforts he has taken to explain all the many facets of emulating sound. A look at the HD500 guide on his site is a testament to this. I've been able to benefit from his efforts, I have his patches loaded into my setlist, and they are sonically perfect. I had no idea about IR, mic phasing, before viewing his site, and he explains them to very fine detail.

I want to extend my (and I'm sure others') appreciation, for all the effort you have put into the patches, the site, and for sharing your knowledge and fruits of your labour. You have changed the way I approach modeling and built a lot of bridges so we all have a much better starting point. I watched very helpful youtube video on patch building by Skyproclamsit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rvm-peVMg

he referenced you, specifically regarding your very helpful mic phasing chart, and that's what turned me onto your site.

Thanks for your dedication to the community,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey Bob, I finally got around to downloading some of your high gain patches and I had a question about one of them.

The Periphery R patch with the two Engl amps and the two MID FOCUS EQs in particular. It seems the hard gate is contributing a lot to tone. As I turn it off, the sound drastically changes. And it seems like the MFEQs are some sort of gain stage?

What wizardry is this?

Yeah thats exactly it. I dont mess with that madness anymore and use input 2: same, so i can switch the gates off without changing tone (necessary to profile them in the kemper). I avoid input clipping via the pad switch.

If input 2 is null (variax, aux), then nothing goes to amp B which means you only hear one cab/mic, not two blended together. So yeah itll be way different.

I do keep amp volumes conservative to avoid clipping post amp eqs, then boost back up in a final mid focus eq.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

MeAmBobbo, I really can't express my deep appreciation for your guide and the monumental effort you've put into it. My extreme gratitude to you for sharing this valuable and enlightening information. I still have a long way to go to fully understanding it all but your guide has truly opened my eyes to the real potential that exists within the POD HD.

I only wish that Line 6 could be as diligent as you've been and my hope is that they will listen carefully to the community, and, in the near future, provide some software updates that make some of the parameters ( particularly the EQ's) work in their appropriate language (db's, hz,) instead of percentages, so that using them won't be so confusing. 

Once again, thanks for all of your efforts.

Best Regards.

Tony 

• 1 year later...

Late to this, but these patches are really good, thanks a lot!

Just got a Pod HD desktop to fool around a bit and i noticed that transferring the setlist sounds different than sending the patches one by one. 

One by one sent patches sound fuller, haven't found the cause for this,  I'm new to the HD, the parameters look the same, maybe it has to do with the conversion utility?

anyway, thanks again, Meambobbo!