Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brand new Helix with display faults.

ATSOL

I received my long awaited Helix on Christmas eve.However I've only given it a very breif two hours of use but yesterday I removed the protective clear tape from the scribble strips. Two of the displays have faults, drop out in the panels. These are so clearly visible a vertical black lines right through the two displays.

Kind of imagine faults so clear as this should have been seen by the manufacturing team. Or are these type of faults appearing on other Helix's. Has anyone else got these annoying problems as well.

• Upvote 2

I received my long awaited Helix on Christmas eve.However I've only given it a very breif two hours of use but yesterday I removed the protective clear tape from the scribble strips. Two of the displays have faults, drop out in the panels. These are so clearly visible a vertical black lines right through the two displays.

Kind of imagine faults so clear as this should have been seen by the manufacturing team. Or are these type of faults appearing on other Helix's. Has anyone else got these annoying problems as well.

Yes me too.. Just received it today... Same lollipop...for a top high end device it is pretty failure huh?

Mine has the vertical lines dropped out on a couple of scribble strips as well.  Took too long for me to get it to do a return.

I'll live with it for now.

Hey guys,

Sorry you are having issues with your scribble strips. I would recommend opening up tickets with Customer Service so we can get these issues looked into.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Hope you get a good one arislaf. The odds are in your favor by far, especially now that you've already received one of the less than 5%, or probably even 1%, of bad units. Good luck. Once you get past the initial disappointment (sure does suck though), how and what Helix can do what it does I'm sure will more than make up for it.

Also, if you're retailer starts giving you a hard time, I suspect Line 6 would certainly take care of you, no problems.

• Upvote 1

Hope you get a good one arislaf. The odds are in your favor by far, especially now that you've already received one of the less than 5%, or probably even 1%, of bad units. Good luck. Once you get past the initial disappointment (sure does suck though), how and what Helix can do what it does I'm sure will more than make up for it.

Also, if you're retailer starts giving you a hard time, I suspect Line 6 would certainly take care of you, no problems.

Thank you Duncann for your good words-hopes. I hope to what you say to be true. Anyway, have a nice year Duncann, take care, and keep up the great music you are producing!!

• Upvote 1

Yes guys I've already reported it to PMT where I bought it. They tell me they'll contact line 6 on Monday. Can't help thinking I'll be waiting age's for a brand new replacement but line6 be aware I've had to sell most of my kit to be able to pay for the faulty Helix. May use the time to show the world what to expect via a nice video of the scribble strips drop-outs.

• Upvote 2

Yes guys I've already reported it to PMT where I bought it. They tell me they'll contact line 6 on Monday. Can't help thinking I'll be waiting age's for a brand new replacement but line6 be aware I've had to sell most of my kit to be able to pay for the faulty Helix. May use the time to show the world what to expect via a nice video of the scribble strips drop-outs.

When did you order yours? My order is also with PMT, has me a little worried now!

When did you receive your Hx, because I'll not accept anything other than a brand new and sealed replacement. No repairs.

I've been receiving feedback from so many of you guys " thanks " just amazed to see so many others with this ridiculous fault. I'll like to know if this is a batch problem or a major design issue.

• Upvote 1

I'm having a similar problem with mine.  One of the scribble strips shows that it's lit, but won't display anything.  If I leave it on for a while it sometimes shows garbled text.  I got around the 15th of December and it had been working fine until yesterday.  I'm also having problem with uploading  patches.  About half the time I get a message that the Helix is "offline" during the transfer.  The only solution I've been able to find is to power down and start over.  I'll call tech support on Monday.

Seems to be a LOT of teething problems with Helix. Lots of threads about dead pixels, broken screens, Led rings not working, dodgy footswitches etc. Quite concerning really for what is supposed to be a tour grade super premium flagship model. (I never hear about stuff like this when new Boss products are released.) I'm really excited for the Helix. It looks great, sounds great and is super intuitive to use but with only a one year warranty, i'm considering whether I should cancel my pre-order and see how all these teething issues pan out long term. However well an item is designed and however good it sounds, if it is unreliable, it's worthless.

• Upvote 1

In my view the Helix is a massive investment for Line 6 in both financial and brand reputation terms, so I think these are only teething problems. However everyone who’s purchased this expensive tour grade unit is expecting it to be 100% perfect, not just for a year but for many years. At £1070.00 it’s a massive investment for me so I’m not happy that it only comes with a one year warranty, when hardware fault are there from new. If they have confidence in their own product that they tell us was 4 years in development. Then they should provide a 2 year warranty until its track record is better established.

To gig and have confidence in it, it must be reliable from the start so Line 6, Yamaha will need to regain mine and the faiths of the others who are sitting there with hardware faults however small.  

• Upvote 1

Anytime some sort of systematic failure has come up with previous Line 6 products, they've stepped up to plate and warrantied that particular item for the lifetime of the product. The reality is, though, if we're talking purely about electronic items like LCD boards and LEDs, if they are going to fail, the vast majority of the time, like over 95% or higher, it will be within a few weeks of them being turned on. So in that sense, reports of a few failed scribble strips and LEDs aren't surprising to me.

Thank you for your comments phil, lets hope your correct regarding the warranty.

Hoping that the Helix is replaced though as its only days old and a mindfull that it may be a problematic batch issue.

Happy New year from London.

There's lots of similar reports of scribble strip problems at the moment. I really hope this is a specific batch issue rather than an indication of the general quality of the displays used.

Like you say, not very reassuring for such an expensive unit with only a one year warranty. It's all very well for phil_m to say that line 6 have historically stood by known faults and fixed them out even if out of warranty but that isn't actually a guarantee is it? If Line 6 were truly happy to stand by this 'tour grade' product it'd be good for them to show it by lengthening the warranty. Boss provide a 5 year warranty on their gear.

Having said that, I'm still hopeful and excited to get the Helix when my preorder eventually comes through (waiting over a month now)

Our thoughts are the same regarding the warranty situation. I sold my Boss GT10 to help pay for this and it was as good as the day it was made, many years later. Needless to say I'll need to see a little love and a much bigger warranty from line6 to rebuild my confidence in them.I've shown them my commitment, all £1070.00 of it.

Our thoughts are the same regarding the warranty situation. I sold my Boss GT10 to help pay for this and it was as good as the day it was made, many years later. Needless to say I'll need to see a little love and a much bigger warranty from line6 to rebuild my confidence in them.I've shown them my commitment, all £1070.00 of it.

I'm hopefully getting my Helix this month. If there's any issue with it what so ever, I'm just going to be asking for my money back at this point. I've been waiting far too long to receive a product that would and should have failed inspection before it was shipped (as I'm guessing a lot of peoples Helixs with issues should have done). I've been using Line 6 for over 10 years, and had the XT Live, X3 Live, X3 bean, HD500X and now soon to be the Helix. if it doesn't live up to the quality of previous products, it'll be the last Line 6 product I buy. 

It'd be good if someone from Line 6 chimed in with a reason for these defective scribble strips. If it's a specific batch problem, it's poor but at least can be sorted. If they are just poor quality and unreliable then it's an issue I won't be buying into. I can't wait to get my Helix and try it but to be honest it's hard not to consider cancelling my preorder at this point based on all the hardware faults reported of late coupled with the paltry one year warranty.

Just called line6 regarding my faults (Germany) they said that this is the first time that they have heard about this type of fault and that I must get the item replaced via my dealer PMT. They also said that the warranty is two years in Europe and one year in US..Going to start the long road getting helix changed with PMT as soon as they open..

Just called line6 regarding my faults (Germany) they said that this is the first time that they have heard about this type of fault and that I must get the item replaced via my dealer PMT. They also said that the warranty is two years in Europe and one year in US..Going to start the long road getting helix changed with PMT as soon as they open..

Europe is certainly doing a better job of protecting their consumers than the U.S.! Where is our 2 year warranty?  I have found L6 to be exemplary about supporting their products but a longer warranty would definitely give me more of a warm fuzzy feeling!

These are the three screens affected. another new line today. its seems that when the units on for a few minutes after the first turn on of the day another line pops up.

see next post for last pic.

post-2100983-0-40685900-1451992855_thumb.jpg

post-2100983-0-89615100-1451992925_thumb.jpg

Sad thing is, after the guy mentioned it may take less than a week turnaround, I find out it's ups ground they used from South Carolina to California. That's a week just to get it there. Picked it up earlier today.

Claim it's going to be a one day repair, but if it ships back to me via ground, then I'm without it for over 2 weeks. Dohh.

• Upvote 1

Great News. Just received my replacement Helix which looks like it may have come direct from Germany to my dealer, PMT.

It came with Firmware 104 pre-loaded so am expecting and hoping it 's another brand new unit, it looks 100%.

Can I please thank everyone who's added to this thread as your own issues and comments have been great to read.  :)

Lastly a big thanks to PMT Romford London they've been brilliant throughout regarding having this faulty helix replaced.

Special thanks to Chris at PMT. :)

• Upvote 2

Wow guys, I just got mine a few days ago.  I bought mine from Sweetwater in the US, then a friend sent it to my hometown (Guatemala).  It is the first Helix in the country...but unfortunately I have experienced the same problem with one of the scribble strips.  Hope it stops there, cause I don´t even want to know what pain in the butt would be to get a replacement being here in Guatemala.  Wish me luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...