Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ Settings

AZGuitar

I have read a few posts with some suggestions on global eq and IR eq settings. I think it would be helpful for more input from users on there settings. Obviously will depend on FRFR vs a tube amps power input and so on.

Im using the following into a dbx go Rack and a QSC K12

Low cut 100 HX

Hight cut 8.0 khx

This is a sweet patch from custom tone with a few tweaks.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

When i get boominess i tend to do a low cut on the global eq, but when i want to cut some high end, i lean towards high cut on the cab/ir. --- this way it allows the post cab effects to "sparkle".

try it. Cut the global at 6k, then reset it and cut the cab at 6k. Big difference. Or the perfect combo of both. :)

• Upvote 3

A friend of mine who is a very experienced audio engineer since the early 80's with gold and platinum selling credits told me the following story. He started as the tea boy and worked his way up in a leading UK studio, fortunate to learn from some of the best engineers and producers.
When AMS were introducing some early rack processors to a top studio in Japan they were asked " What settings do you use for a great vocal sound?" The reply was "Just use your ears and tweak the sound with the knobs", to which they replied "Yes, but what settings do you use for a great vocal sound?"
I do struggle a bit, have read so many audio articles over the years, things like a guitar speaker doesn't produce much over 3.5Khz, i do tend to mix (spare bedroom studio) with my eyes and use previous goto settings at least to get started. Also confidence with my poorly treated small room and all the modes. Overtime by listening to my mixes in various other locations I have learnt how to compensate on my monitors. I'm still not great and don't think I have a good ear.
So yes I do think it would be good to get some opinions on Helix eq tweaks from the power users. I don't think there is a one size fits all, on the cleaner amps I have more top for clarity, on the heavier amps I tend to cut more because I like a warmer sound. Depends on the line up of the band, in a power trio I like a thick sound to cover a lot of sonic territory, with more instruments I do thin it a bit with more eq/low cut.

For my new Atomic CLR (see below) which I am finding very harsh and will almost certainly be going back Hi cut 5Khz-3.5Khz or even less, can get muddy. Low cut off-70Hz
I was told close your eyes whilst turning the knob to avoid preconceptions.

Edited :  Don't mean to bad mouth Atomic, it's my inexperience and struggle with frfr, and the limited time frame to get a refund. I think the Atomic is superbly detailed and pure, esp on the cleaner sounds, just really struggling with the distorted sounds.

When i get boominess i tend to do a low cut on the global eq, but when i want to cut some high end, i lean towards high cut on the cab/ir. --- this way it allows the post cab effects to "sparkle".

try it. Cut the global at 6k, then reset it and cut the cab at 6k. Big difference. Or the perfect combo of both. :)

Nice call! copied patch to a/b and yours is less shrill for sure. RRMark, I came so close on the ACLR, I would keep tweaking and try diff guitars.

I'm after the warm sound too and the new matchless is very cool but I'm staying on this amp for now. Trying to build presets with same amp with diff tonal settings for different guitars.

Using a PRS 22 with 57/08's but I love the sound of my custom 24's dragon II's [i know..] but trust in your ears as the post above says. "Anyone / Everyone" agree with global low cut at 80 to 100Hz?

Phil_m, we never connected on Skype but appreciate your feedback on this as well. texasdave and and that crazy good monster pedal guy ruby topaz on TGP with the LA Studio comp suggestion before the reverb and delay at the end of the chain is a must. Thanks!

BTW, I was on the preorder at Sweetwater, never have had even one issue with updates, resets, reboots, blah blah. Helix kills.... Also, Line 6 Helix tour in Phx on the 11th at GC? Gotta go...wonder what rep will be there???

Also took presence to 2.8 :D  

I also have found that the helix is bass heavy. You can't try to dial down the bass in the amp/cab but the it looses something. I have been sometime cutting the lows anywhere between 80 and 180 and sometimes the highs to 5 but mostly low cut. I'll try the global vs cab cut.

Apart from playing guitar, I'm a producer (TV, film instrumentals, ambient, fusion), and in my studio I took the habit to cut all that's not a kick or bass at 120 minimum (medium slopes, 24db/oct). Same strategy for my guitar patches. If my patch is for a sound that has to sit in with drums and bass and other instruments, I cut it around 250hz-450hz, depending on de overdrive level (more noise, more cut off ;-) , less instruments in the band to compete with, you can go with a bit less)

For guitar alone or guitar and ambient spaces, I cut off around 150! I do this almost instantly on EVERY amp, cabinet or FX that allows me to cut low frequencies!! Of course always use our ears and keep in mind the effect wanted for your sound.

The global EQ, I personally only touch when I need to make adjustment for the room frequencies. But in that case only, as I use other sounds (mostly synths) that passes with my guitar sound through the Helix and want to keep the global outputs as much FRFR as possible.

Hope this helps your EQ strategy?

• Upvote 1

Thanks lulu_m, I thought I was the only one cutting the lows that much. Some patches are 180 some 200. I will usually play an E chord or G chord while I cut the bass freq on the cab till you find the sweet spot. Then play to see how I sound tone whose and sit in the mix. Then from there I might readjust the cut alittle.

I don't feel Helix is bass heavy at all. It might be on some Equipment but not sure if it's Helix fault then.

I would agree with lulu_m and use the global EQ only to adjust for different rooms but not for correcting patches. This should be done in every patch itself. 

I prefer to use the cab EQ's and effects block to make my individual patches sound good. 90% of the time the global EQ isn't even on unless I get in a room and hear something amiss. To me, leaving the global EQ engaged all the time isn't a great idea because if you're individual patches rely on its settings as your building them, when you DO have to use to tune a room its going to mess the "core" sound.

Well, I have to say that we should be thankful that the Helix has enough lows that they can be cut. Some modelers I've used can be so wimpy in that department and although some have global EQs, there isn't much low end information to boost or cut. I prefer a device that has enough of the entire spectrum so that I can cut where I need to cut.

I don't have my own Helix yet but I certainly hope its EQs are more capable and effective than the last Line 6 modeler I had. 

• Like 1

Good idea!

Well, I have to say that we should be thankful that the Helix has enough lows that they can be cut. Some modelers I've used can be so wimpy in that department and although some have global EQs, there isn't much low end information to boost or cut. I prefer a device that has enough of the entire spectrum so that I can cut where I need to cut.

I don't have my own Helix yet but I certainly hope its EQs are more capable and effective than the last Line 6 modeler I had. 

The Helix gives you lots of possibilities to EQ your sounds. Its very versatile, great sounds and workflow. You'll love it ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi, new guy here. Just got the Helix.

Have you guys who think its to dark tried recording from the headphone out.

I do this into a mixer which then feeds the pc.

I find it gives the clarity you are looking for.

Al

Before tweaking Helix EQ, be careful to try different PA speakers, stage monitors, studio monitors, and headphones to figure out which are more colored and which are more neutral. Play familiar recorded music as well as your guitars and Helix presets.

I use the PA's EQ or the Helix global EQ to get close to a flat response. I tweak the Helix presets' EQ only if I'm sure my speakers or headphones are close to a flat response.

For example, I was tweaking a boomy preset to cut low frequencies when I realized the Mackie Thump12 I was using has a frequency response that boosts lows, plus I had it on the floor, further boosting the lows. Listening through headphones and studio monitors did not have the same boominess.

So I used the Thump12's EQ to cut the lows hard, and after some careful listening, I cut some mids and highs a little bit. Most of the boominess was gone and I only had to cut the lows a bit in my preset.

Ideally, you should always try to get a great tone without Global EQ. It's really designed to compensate for different acoustic environments. Say you play a show in a club whose size, shape, and materials make all your presets sound boomy—Global EQ can be used to reduce some of that boominess without having to tweak individual presets.

Pro Tip Shortcut: Press and hold BYPASS to turn Global EQ on and off. This way you can tell whether it's helping or hurting.

• Upvote 2

[...]

Pro Tip Shortcut: Press and hold BYPASS to turn Global EQ on and off. This way you can tell whether it's helping or hurting.

Thanks - right now I found that shortcut in the manual ;)

Has anybody listed all these shortcuts already?

• 5 months later...

hi,is there a global speaker emulated output on this thing?

Im running to chains,one to the input of my dual rectifier using 4cm and the other goes out to an i.r. to go to p.a. system.

it would save me using a second chain just to house an i.r. block and could use this for other effects.

hi,is there a global speaker emulated output on this thing?

Im running to chains,one to the input of my dual rectifier using 4cm and the other goes out to an i.r. to go to p.a. system.

it would save me using a second chain just to house an i.r. block and could use this for other effects.

I'm not sure what you mean by a global speaker emulated output.  Every speaker is different.  Every PA is different.  That's why you see so much discussion in this thread about cutting various frequencies to tame the broader range used by PA and FRFR monitors.  There's no one single perfect answer.

Probably in your case a second chain might be your best bet, but I doubt it will sound anything like what you're hearing on stage to your audience when they hear it through the PA.