Jump to content

Preset change via MIDI over USB


bluesounds
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, those who chimed in with an answer.  I am still rocking a Floor Pod Plus and am sending patch changes to it from Ableton 10, which has my backing tracks on it.  It's a massively important feature for me.  What's funny is that the Floor Pod Plus does not sound bad through my EV pa system.  I could get away with continuing to use it, but the Pod Go looks really, really tempting to me, assuming I can send it patch changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 6:14 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Yes, POD Go will respond to standard PC messages as well as quite a few CC messages (including CC69 for snapshot recall). Everything's outlined starting on page 38 of the POD Go Owner's Manual.

You mean it "will be updated" or it responds to standard pc right out of the box? Also is not clear for me, can it send pc to a Mac? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by jazzchat
Misspelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, jazzchat said:

You mean it "will be updated" or it responds to standard pc right out of the box? Also is not clear for me, can it send pc to a Mac? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated. 

The manual reflects POD Go firmware 1.10 (which was available for download before anyone got their POD Go), so if you haven't updated, the MIDI spec might not work as advertised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a Line 6 POD Go and I am happy with everything about it other than it will not accept MIDI from anything other than a PC. It appears to require the driver loaded in the PC to be able to accept MIDI. I am using a Kenton USB Midi Host mkII to host messages from a Morningstar MC6. The Line 6 POD Go is not "generic class compliant" and without the drivers in the PC will not respond to external MIDI. Hopefully this can be easily rectified by Line 6 soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The Pod Go is almost perfect. It should have midi. Or at last an update so it becomes class compliant and a usb- host would solve the problem.
I want to receive midi-clock for syncing the Pod Go with a drumcomputer/sequencer and send PC to an Eventide H9 in the fx-loop.

I know, this is NOT very rockandroll or metal but please, not another amp in a future update.

Usefull, noncomputer midi a lot of us experimental guitarplayers would like.


So, Line6, are you a company of the future or just a revival of the past?

Digital Iglo?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lap57 said:

The Pod Go is almost perfect. It should have midi. Or at last an update so it becomes class compliant and a usb- host would solve the problem.
I want to receive midi-clock for syncing the Pod Go with a drumcomputer/sequencer and send PC to an Eventide H9 in the fx-loop.

I know, this is NOT very rockandroll or metal but please, not another amp in a future update.

Usefull, noncomputer midi a lot of us experimental guitarplayers would like.


So, Line6, are you a company of the future or just a revival of the past?

Digital Iglo?

 


The POD Go is a Class Compliant USB MIDI device. It’s just that it has very limited function as a controller. It has more options if you want to control it with MIDI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, bryanblackburn said:

Now can a press of a foot pedal send a midi message to my computer via usb? Then if so then I can use it to act as a foot controller with Helix native right? That is a huge selling point to me. 


Not really... The POD Go sends very limited MIDI control messages. It can send the PC# that’s associated with a preset when you load a preset, but beyond that, there’s nor else you can do. It can also send MIDI clock. It’s not designed to be a MIDI over USB controller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gonna piggyback of this. 

I'm thinking about getting an external USB MIDI host. Like the midiplus or Kenton.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN

https://www.amazon.com/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-Converter-Host/dp/B00PFEANIK/ref=pd_lpo_267_t_0/145-0593582-5693430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PFEANIK&pd_rd_r=9cb5aa9f-333f-475b-8683-0dfa2537904c&pd_rd_w=tehT6&pd_rd_wg=JAJxo&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23&psc=1&refRID=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23

 

Has anyone had any luck using one of these to connect a controller like the Rocktron MIDI Mate to do preset/snapshot changes? I'm thinking about doing this so I can keep the POD GO on stompbox mode and rely on an external switcher for presets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, jazzyhands said:

Gonna piggyback of this. 

I'm thinking about getting an external USB MIDI host. Like the midiplus or Kenton.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN

https://www.amazon.com/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-Converter-Host/dp/B00PFEANIK/ref=pd_lpo_267_t_0/145-0593582-5693430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PFEANIK&pd_rd_r=9cb5aa9f-333f-475b-8683-0dfa2537904c&pd_rd_w=tehT6&pd_rd_wg=JAJxo&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23&psc=1&refRID=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23

 

Has anyone had any luck using one of these to connect a controller like the Rocktron MIDI Mate to do preset/snapshot changes? I'm thinking about doing this so I can keep the POD GO on stompbox mode and rely on an external switcher for presets.

I'm in the same position, did you follow through and get a USB HOST? Does it work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

The manual reflects POD Go firmware 1.10 (which was available for download before anyone got their POD Go), so if you haven't updated, the MIDI spec might not work as advertised.

 

Hi DI,

Do you know if POD GO is USB class compliant? I want to control it with a Morningstar MC6 through a Kenton USB MIDI Host, apparently it should work provided it's USB class compliant for Midi Over USB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, phil_m said:


The POD Go is a Class Compliant USB MIDI device. It’s just that it has very limited function as a controller. It has more options if you want to control it with MIDI.

Hi Phil,

I just USB plugged my POD GO into my Son's three years old Windows 10 Gaming Computer, and it did not automatically set up a driver... Doesn't that mean it's actually not USB Class Compliant? Not trying to give you a hard time, but I also could not find any mention of Class Compliant in the POD GO manual. I need to know for sure, because I'm on the verge of buying a Kenton USB midi host so I can control my POD GO and a couple of other MIDI devices with my MC6 MIDI foot controller. According to Kenton, as long as the device is Class Compliant, the host will work. So anyway, if I spend $200 on a Midi Host and it doesn't work, basically, for me, it's $200 paperweight... I guess what I need to know, is, how do you know it's Compliant?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Retro-Rick said:

Hi Phil,

I just USB plugged my POD GO into my Son's three years old Windows 10 Gaming Computer, and it did not automatically set up a driver... Doesn't that mean it's actually not USB Class Compliant? Not trying to give you a hard time, but I also could not find any mention of Class Compliant in the POD GO manual. I need to know for sure, because I'm on the verge of buying a Kenton USB midi host so I can control my POD GO and a couple of other MIDI devices with my MC6 MIDI foot controller. According to Kenton, as long as the device is Class Compliant, the host will work. So anyway, if I spend $200 on a Midi Host and it doesn't work, basically, for me, it's $200 paperweight... I guess what I need to know, is, how do you know it's Compliant?


image.thumb.png.e54aaf4d573c9a00c430b880d3b166da.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Ok I just bought the Wireless Pod Go and it’s Great !

Im controlling It with my IPad, Camera Kit and MidiPad 2 App from the AppleApp Store. So far I can change Presets , Snap Shots, and turn on & off the Tuner.

There a few Video’s on YouTube that will get you started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see receiving Midi is straight forward based on the manual, but I'm curious if the Go can SEND a midi command(s).  I use a Fishman Triple Play Wireless and hate their app and want to just use SampleTank with it on the iPad clamped to a mic stand.  I can buy the Fishman pedal to do it separately, but would be great if on sound change or snapshot change to send a command to the IOS device to set the sound in SampleTank or any other midi sound engine on the IOS device.  Just brainstorming now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, djyelland said:

I have recently purchased a Line 6 POD Go and I am happy with everything about it other than it will not accept MIDI from anything other than a PC. It appears to require the driver loaded in the PC to be able to accept MIDI. I am using a Kenton USB Midi Host mkII to host messages from a Morningstar MC6. The Line 6 POD Go is not "generic class compliant" and without the drivers in the PC will not respond to external MIDI. Hopefully this can be easily rectified by Line 6 soon.

Any news on this? I was about to buy a midi controller and a USB host but now I'm not sure I will. Could anyone get this setup to work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have an iPhone/iPad, it will work as a host.  This is what I use regularly to change presets.

 

I use my iPad (I think it's a 6) connected with the Camera Connection Kit.  One cable that is USB Male A (plugged into Camera Connection Kit) to Male B (POD Go).   The iPad is running the ForScore app and I program custom buttons to send CC messages.  Ch.1/ CC32/ 1 (for user preset bank)/x (have to calculate manually, but it starts at 0).

 

Can't speak for the Kenton, but I can confirm that I use Apple devices to change presets with no drivers required or anything.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread! I'm very interested in using a tablet to change presets during a gig. Seems like it would be way faster to click a button on a tablet than with the Pod's footswitches.

 

Does anyone have any experience with Android? I'd rather not buy an iPad just for this application.

 

All the best..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, brooksjohnson said:

This is a great thread! I'm very interested in using a tablet to change presets during a gig. Seems like it would be way faster to click a button on a tablet than with the Pod's footswitches.

 

Does anyone have any experience with Android? I'd rather not buy an iPad just for this application.

 

All the best..

 

I do not personally have experience with Android devices, but it looks like MIDI works similarly to iOS.  Through reading, I found that Android started supporting MIDI in 2015.  So I assume any Android devices after this time should have the functionality, either through USB or Bluetooth (MIDI BLE). 

 

In addition to the cable connection, you would need an app that can send MIDI commands to test it.  If you are using it on a song-by-song basis to change presets like me, maybe you already have an app that you use that can also send MIDI commands. 

Here's one I found that looks like it can do both - https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

 

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...