Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Preset Mode Switches setting are you using in real life?

zooey

Love snapshots, but navigating between presets, snapshots, and stomps is awkward. Maximum access seems like one of the two snap/stomp mixes, but then there really aren't enough of either.

I'm wondering what Preset Mode Switches setting folks are ending up using as they get used to snapshots, and integrate them into their gigging/jamming/playing lives.

Live I'm yet to do a Snapshot conversion (but I'm about to do that experiment).

For the jamming I've done at home, I've created a few presets which fully utilize Snapshots - for that I switch to Snapshots bottom/Stomps top - capping me at 4 Snapshots available without changing modes.

Seems to work out for me thus far.... but it's true; the conundrum in the offing is wanting to directly access more than 4 Snapshots plus stomps... I suspect my conversion mentioned above might both make me wish for more simultaneous stomps and snapshots and press me to be creative on what I can wring out of the Snapshot/Stomp combo.

I use the 8 Snapshots setting for Preset Mode. I've played a few dozen or so shows with snapshots now (I was a beta tester, so I've been able to use snapshots since February or so), and I find it works best for my needs. I actually find that I very rarely go into Stomp Mode now. So basically I never change presets during a song, and having the ability to change snapshots mid-song is key.

I actually find that I very rarely go into Stomp Mode now.

Hmmm, I could see that as a theoretical possibility, but needing separate snaps for clean with delay, crunch with delay, and lead with delay (for example) feels impractical, especially coming from my prior 10-switches life.

Do I also gather that you don't have anything like a generic Boost, to just turn whatever sound you're on up louder, like for solos or other featured stuff?

To expand on what I said in the earlier snapshot conversion thread, in 10 switches mode, I had clean + 3 overdrive settings and Boost in the bottom row, then various fx that could be applied to any OD setting in the top row -- chorus, delay, etc.. 4 snapshots for clean + 3 drive levels works great, but already doesn't leave room for Boost, which wouldn't work anyway since it needs to be usable with any snapshot. So I've stolen a stomp for it, leaving only 3 stomp fx instead of 5, which in practice is a drag. General purpose chorus and delay take 2, so you get a grand total of 1 more special-purpose effect. Not that fx are necessary just to get out of bed in the morning, but still, makes me feel like I'm using the same stuff all the time unless I change presets, which like you, I'd rather not do during a song.

At the moment, I'm split halfway between using all 8 snapshots with bank up/down, or using the 10 FS all stomp mode.  I think snapshots is going to win out once I rebuild all of my sounds in there.  The adjustable parameter control is awesome there.  

I was doing a bit parameter control with stomps, like having a FS adjust all the amp parameters to mimic multi-channel amps.  But the level of control in snapshots kills that, plus that frees up more stomps for bypassing effect blocks.

For whatever reason, I still build presets in 10 stomp mode first, then I go into the snapshot edits after.  I think its easier to get my blocks where I want them as a good starting point then adjust everything as needed in snapshots.  

I don't think I could get along with the 4 snaps and 4 stomps - I get a weird claustrophobic feeling just looking at the scribble strips that way

Hmmm, I could see that as a theoretical possibility, but needing separate snaps for clean with delay, crunch with delay, and lead with delay (for example) feels impractical, especially coming from my prior 10-switches life.

Do I also gather that you don't have anything like a generic Boost, to just turn whatever sound you're on up louder, like for solos or other featured stuff?

To expand on what I said in the earlier snapshot conversion thread, in 10 switches mode, I had clean + 3 overdrive settings and Boost in the bottom row, then various fx that could be applied to any OD setting in the top row -- chorus, delay, etc.. 4 snapshots for clean + 3 drive levels works great, but already doesn't leave room for Boost, which wouldn't work anyway since it needs to be usable with any snapshot. So I've stolen a stomp for it, leaving only 3 stomp fx instead of 5, which in practice is a drag. General purpose chorus and delay take 2, so you get a grand total of 1 more special-purpose effect. Not that fx are necessary just to get out of bed in the morning, but still, makes me feel like I'm using the same stuff all the time unless I change presets, which like you, I'd rather not do during a song.

In a way, I'm kind of surprised myself that I like using snapshots as much as I do. Your approach actually doesn't sound too dissimilar to what mine originally was. I have always been more of on-the-fly type of player when it comes to effects, and originally that was my approach to Helix. I've found, though, that while playing with my current band I'm doing less improvising with the actual effects and more with the playing. I think a big part of it is that with another guitarist, we kind of commit to certain sounds so we're not stepping on each other. So I treat the snapshots as a bunch of different one-shot presets that I can call up quickly. The other nice thing is that I use two external expression pedals, so I'm able to change things quite a lot still.

I don't really have a straight boost function. I do have a snapshot in each preset labeled "Heavy Lead" or something like that though. That's kind of my go to lead sound (but not always).

Using 8 snapshot mode. I like the fact I can press any one at anytime and know what I got.

Now on the interesting side, Chad over on FB Helix group is "offering / showing" a 6 button midi pedal with scribble strips. It can do quite a bit. I can see using it a 6 snaps and then using 10 button stomp mode on the Helix.

It does way more than I discribe here.

Check it out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/permalink/566869860163358/

He quick demos it on YouTube. Scroll to 26 minutes in the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmZX2jB7Hg8

It sure would cool if Line 6 made a similar pedal, matching the scribble strips, hint hint wink wink?

Snapshots on top row, stomp pedals on bottom; right now I still like having a few stomp easily pedals available for spontaneous changes I did not anticipate. Ten pedal stomp mode if I need it which is extremely rare. I can see potentially eventually transitioning to all snapshot mode if I get all my snapshots set up they way I want. 

I use the 8 switch snapshot mode, but have 1 preset that I switch to stomp mode for a momentary switch effect I need in one song that I can't do in snapshot mode. It would be handy if you could get a momentary snapshot, then go back to the last snapshot you were in, but don't think that's possible in snapshot, unless I'm missing something. As far as switching presets, I do it as I did in stomp mode, hitting the up/down bank and select the next preset.

Dave

On my primary, go-to patch, I use 4 snapshots (bottom row) and 4 stomps (top row).  Each of the four snapshots represent a "core" sound --- that is, Clean, Crunch, Drive, and Lead.  The 4 stomps on top are really "accent" stomps --- that is, stomps like Phaser, Clean Boost, Delay, etc.  I rarely change presets during a song -- I can get everything I need for any song within a single preset.  For specialty tones, like Hendrix, U2, SRV -- I just have a separate preset for these and hit the mode button to see 10 stomps on those presets.

I run Bank Up/Down -- so there is an additional press to change presets mid-song, but again, I rarely do that.  

I just got my helix, but at rehearsal so far I've been using Snaps on top with Stomps on bottom, semi-frequently switching to stomp mode, with the â–²andâ–¼  set to Presets.  I also use the shortcut where you tap the Preset buttons and more Snapshots show up that I use for certain one-shot effects (like a whammy for Like a Stone).  So far that's actually kept me in one preset for a whole evening, but I could foresee with different bands needing more than one preset in a set.  

I've been experimenting with using a HD500 as a midi controller.  I thought about using 8 Snaps mode on the Helix and having the HD500 be stomp boxes, but then there's not 2 way feedback.  So I'd have to look at the main Helix LCD to see if a pedal is on or off.  I already use an external expression pedal, so I'd be trading that for the HD500, plus I'd have a backup pedalboard on-stage ready to go if anything went wrong.  

Im currently using 4 patch at the top and 4 snaps on the bottom.  

Each Patch is an amp...Mesa chan 1, Marshall plexi, Dr Z, Mesa Lead.

The four snaps are always Clean Rhythm, Drive Rhythm, Clean Solo, Drive Solo.

The Clean mesa defaults to Clean Rhythm, The Marshall to Drive Rhythm, The DrZ to clean solo and the Mesa lead to Drive Solo.

Over in stomp mode I have 10 stomps....Minataur, Screamer, Triangle, Trem, Comp,  Phaser, Chorus, tape delay, vintage delay, reverb - and Wah on the toe switch.

The Mesa clean patch recalls snap 4 with the screamer on, otherwise its reverb only but I can pre switch fx across all 4 snaps if I need them.

works well and is very intuitive.

While I am still waiting with bated breath for the ability to assign snapshots to a footswitch in 10-Stomp mode, I've been doing well running in Stomp/Snap mode with 4 Stomps on top and 4 Snapshots on bottom with oddball stuff accessible in Stomp mode. The 4 Snapshots are gain/voicing settings (clean, crunch, dirty, jazz clean...) and the 4 Stomps are frequently visited effects. I have functions like toggling Vibe mode between chorus and vibrato, or changing Whammy settings from octave harmony to Wham, assigned to footswitches accessible by switching to Stomp mode. It's working pretty nicely.

Im currently using 4 patch at the top and 4 snaps on the bottom.  

Each Patch is an amp...Mesa chan 1, Marshall plexi, Dr Z, Mesa Lead.

The four snaps are always Clean Rhythm, Drive Rhythm, Clean Solo, Drive Solo.

The Clean mesa defaults to Clean Rhythm, The Marshall to Drive Rhythm, The DrZ to clean solo and the Mesa lead to Drive Solo.

I like this! Am I right that from that Presets/Snapshots setup you can just hit Mode and you're in 10 Switches stomps mode?

I've been concentrating so much on quick access to snaps and stomps that the idea of leaving stomps as a sort of secondary mode hadn't really occurred to me. Will check this out.

I like this! Am I right that from that Presets/Snapshots setup you can just hit Mode and you're in 10 Switches stomps mode?

I've been concentrating so much on quick access to snaps and stomps that the idea of leaving stomps as a sort of secondary mode hadn't really occurred to me. Will check this out.

yes...

There are two ways I can use the stomps in this model...the first is as noted above - just flick over to say, the drive solo snap, pop into stomp mode, switch on an FX or two, then go back to Patch/Snap mode for the song...and whatever FX are switched on will stay in the snap until I change amp. all good.

The other way might involve some decisions before the set where I might make a call to have certain FX on certain snaps for certain amps...so I could quickly switch them on and hit save...easy to redo for the next set or even between songs if I needed assuming the songs are not run together.

Regardless the overall setup remains consistent and even mistake friendly...

Of course If I need an Effect thats not in the list of 10 then its another patch dedicated to that...whammy or harmonies  comes to mind.  Ill probably set those up on the next four patches keeping the snaps the same...

So you have the global Snapshot Edits preference set to Recall, right? You can switch to a snapshot, turn on a stomp, and that stomp stays active in that snapshot, even when you recall other snapshots where it's off, until you recall another preset? Pretty cool actually. Having stomps stay active after using them, even when you pull up other snapshots and come back, has always seemed too chaotic to me. Reading this though, I can definitely see the usefulness, in that it lets you customize a snapshot's fx on the fly, potentially even before you're actually going to use it.

Really interesting how different people are making use of Helix's options around all this.

And pretty cool the Helix *has* all these open-ended options so they can!

I have Preset Mode set to Snap/Stomp and FS1/FS7 set to Preset Up/Down.

I hadn't really ever given much though to using the Preset Up/Down switches before, but I was messing around with this last night, and it actually works quite well, especially if you're like me and only use a handful of presets and a lot of snapshots. It makes changing presets much more seamless. It's kind of like having a bunch of snapshots available all the time and just navigating through different pages to get to them. I think I might keep it this way.

So you have the global Snapshot Edits preference set to Recall, right? You can switch to a snapshot, turn on a stomp, and that stomp stays active in that snapshot, even when you recall other snapshots where it's off, until you recall another preset? Pretty cool actually. Having stomps stay active after using them, even when you pull up other snapshots and come back, has always seemed too chaotic to me. Reading this though, I can definitely see the usefulness, in that it lets you customize a snapshot's fx on the fly, potentially even before you're actually going to use it.

Really interesting how different people are making use of Helix's options around all this.

And pretty cool the Helix *has* all these open-ended options so they can!

further to this

Even if I go though several snapshots and switch stomps on for a given song all I need to do to get back to ground zero is to change patch.  Given I have a default for each amp even if its a  segue to the next song I can select the amp that has got the appropriate snapshot and Im away (remembering that the Clean Mesa defaults to Snap 1 Clean rhythm and the Marshall defaults to Snap2 Crunch Rhythm etc) .  

For anyone who's interested, I've ended up like this:

- Preset Mode Switches: Stomps/Snaps

- Snapshot Edits: Recall

- Tempo settings per preset, delay times in bar units, not ms

The 4 snaps are typically different drive levels. One stomp switch is generic Boost, the 3 others are my most commonly switched fx, like chorus, delay, etc. Less commonly used fx are assigned to footswitches that aren't visible in Stomp/Snap mode.

- Provides instant access to any of those 4 drive snaps, those 3 common fx, and boost

- Pressing a Bank button lets me recall a different preset, not something I typically do during a song

- Pressing Mode shows all 10 stomp switches, for access to less commonly used fx

- Delay times are programmable on the fly with the Tap button

If I want some optional fx on for a particular drive level, just recall a snap, hit Mode, and turn those fx on, effectively temporarily programming that snap on the fly without actualy going into edit mode. Snapshot Edits: Recall means those fx are there for that snap, only, when I come back to it, until I turn them off manually, or load a different preset. You do end up a lot of pushing of different buttons to set this up, but it's a great option to have.

So far this seems like a good combination of quick and flexible. Big Kudos to Line 6 for the all thought that's obviously gone into the Helix design, awesome piece of kit.

Big picture, 4 stomps and 4 snaps really isn't enough, and the multi-step Mode switch idea from the other thread still strikes me as really straightforward and useful, but the setup above is how I think I'm going to work with Helix in its current state for now.

Hello everyone,

I use Snaps/Stomps and Preset Up Down.

I don't know if it has been suggested yet (maybe there's an ideascale already), but it could be interesting (and maybe not so complicated) to have the same choice in the "Stomp Mode Switches menu" than in the "Preset Mode Switches".

So, instead of just "8 stomps" or "10 stomps", adding things like "5 stomps/5 snaps" would give us more choices for the behavior of the mode button.

By the way, Helix is a fantastic machine !

Hello again,

A few more ideas. I must say that i really love my Helix, so if it stays like this, i will survive anyway ;)

For the story : i used to have an afx which was controlled by a liquidfoot LF+12+ controller. I switched for a more convenient/compact solution and was really amazed by the quality of the sounds and UI (thank you Line6).

That said, i have a few remarks. My main regret is about the switches : we've got 12 switches with a lot of good ideas, but technically, only 8 of them (10 in stomp mode) are really customizable for the "navigation stuff". I agree : 8/10 stomps is a lot (too much for me). On the other hands, 4 is a bit short if you're in a 4/4 setup.

With the LF12+, you can assign each button (and color) to anything. Of course, it has a price : the complexity level is quite high and i don't think Line6 wants to complicate the UI that much (it wouldn't be such a great idea). But maybe there are "in between" solutions :

Personally, i don't need the tap tempo, and also i could survive without the mode button.

I would love to have the possibility to replace them (choice in the menu of course. I totally understand that a lot of people need the tap tempo and the mode) by something else. That would be another solution to achieve a 5/5 setup.

Once again, i'm not complaining, if it stays like this, it's ok for me !

Snapshots on top row, stomp pedals on bottom; right now I still like having a few stomp easily pedals available for spontaneous changes I did not anticipate. Ten pedal stomp mode if I need it which is extremely rare. I can see potentially eventually transitioning to all snapshot mode if I get all my snapshots set up they way I want. 

That's my approach right now as well.

Problem for me is just getting too many options to remember, like if you program 8 snapshots on a preset and try to label them, get about three fully loaded snapshot presets fully loaded up and I am lucky to remember what I am doing anymore. I find I get so involved programming and experimenting I seldom just play and work on that aspect of improvisation which is my central love of the guitar.

I find just programming some well thought out presets with stomp box mode on/off does just fine and is very workable. If I need different array of effects I just copy the preset and change that around or a different amp model config.

Snap shots are great for mapping out complex songs that require instant multiple footswitch or param changes. For me I find having another preset on deck is just as easy for me as snapshots within the same preset and I still have stomp box mode as well. 

I find in general keeping things simple like stomp box mode works for me as a basis. You can do so much with switch assigns as well and proper labeling. For example instead of using a snap shot I might have one type of reverb on and when I hit the footswitch it turns that reverb off and goes to another one. You can also program param changes. Very cool options on this puppy. 

I'm with you in theory, but in practice, I typically have multiple drive levels set up per preset, each of which may be some combination of amp settings, a drive stomp, and possibly pre and/or post EQ. There's just no way to turn one of those setups on and the rest off using just switches, but it's trivial w snapshots.

That said, I did my first sort-of-a-gig with Helix over the weekend, mostly with snap presets, but also one with only stomp switches, and both were workable. There were a couple of times I had to hit more than one footswitch between song sections, not great, but that wasn't the case most of the time.