Jump to content
tjmaclean

G10 Relay Update Issue

Recommended Posts

Hi, i'm using my G10 for 3 years without any problem at all. Then I was in formed by Line6: Attention: Important Safety Notice, which you do not ignore. So without checking this forum (stupid me) I updated the transmitter and receiver to the new firmware, nothing fancy, update worked like a charm. But after plugging in the G10 nothing worked and the G10 seems to be bricked.

 

I never respond to any forum, but just to let you fellow bricked (or not properly working G10's) users know and to let the Line 6 Experts know that there are a lot of users who do not reply on these kind of forums, because they already see the mass responses to the failure. I am one of those.

 

What annoys me the most is that this would not have happened if we were not warned at all. Obviously you do not want to burn down your house, but you also do not want a useless product after an update.

 

So to support the "complainers". LINE 6 please fix this a.s.a.p.

 

And yes,  I submitted a ticket (still waiting a response)

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcelkurvers said:

Hi, i'm using my G10 for 3 years without any problem at all. Then I was in formed by Line6: Attention: Important Safety Notice, which you do not ignore. So without checking this forum (stupid me) I updated the transmitter and receiver to the new firmware, nothing fancy, update worked like a charm. But after plugging in the G10 nothing worked and the G10 seems to be bricked.

 

I never respond to any forum, but just to let you fellow bricked (or not properly working G10's) users know and to let the Line 6 Experts know that there are a lot of users who do not reply on these kind of forums, because they already see the mass responses to the failure. I am one of those.

 

What annoys me the most is that this would not have happened if we were not warned at all. Obviously you do not want to burn down your house, but you also do not want a useless product after an update.

 

So to support the "complainers". LINE 6 please fix this a.s.a.p.

 

And yes,  I submitted a ticket (still waiting a response)

 

I am in the same boat as you are. I can only hope that enough customers will submit a ticket for Line 6 to investigate the current firmware. I've got the same response from Line 6-support as everyone else in this thread: replace the transmitter and there is no information about other firmware updates (quoted from Line 6-support).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, george_eijt said:

 

I am in the same boat as you are. I can only hope that enough customers will submit a ticket for Line 6 to investigate the current firmware. I've got the same response from Line 6-support as everyone else in this thread: replace the transmitter and there is no information about other firmware updates (quoted from Line 6-support).

I submitted a ticket back in Jan and reopened one today asking about the v1.05 firmware issue regarding less playing time...here is the response....(my replacement g10t should be here by Friday....the first one didn't hold a charge at all)

 

Robert, Thanks for the reply. The update reduces the charge capacity so that there’s no chance of overcharge. The reduction applies to batteries in all states of previous capacity, so if an older or heavily used battery was already depleting, the update could result in shorter overall capacity. A full capacity G10t should give 6 hours of play time wherein it used to provide 8 hours. Let me know if you have any further questions. Kind regards, Jason-Line 6 support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bobletteross said:

I submitted a ticket back in Jan and reopened one today asking about the v1.05 firmware issue regarding less playing time...here is the response....(my replacement g10t should be here by Friday....the first one didn't hold a charge at all)

 

Robert, Thanks for the reply. The update reduces the charge capacity so that there’s no chance of overcharge. The reduction applies to batteries in all states of previous capacity, so if an older or heavily used battery was already depleting, the update could result in shorter overall capacity. A full capacity G10t should give 6 hours of play time wherein it used to provide 8 hours. Let me know if you have any further questions. Kind regards, Jason-Line 6 support

Yes; it is the exact same response as I have received. It is a bummer for you guys who's G10T's are not holding their charge. My issue is that my receiver and transmitter are not in sync. I have never experienced that problem before. Not once. It happened immediately after the update (receiver: v.1.01 and G10T:v.1.05). The receiver tells me (after an hour or so) that the G10T needs to be charged. But my G10T is green. It's not a (real) problem, but I find it strange that this happened after the update. I only wanted to tell this to Line 6-support and was wondering if there is a new firmware (soon or not?) to be released, but I am told that "there is no information about other firmware updates."

 

Good luck with your new G10T and let us know if the transmitter will give you 6 hours of play-time and what does your receiver tell you(?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, after update about 1 to 2 hours playing time left. Come on l6 fix this! Think this will be my last l6 product. Avid user for years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the Line6 connectivity toys are still remaining a mess! I am not able to get my G10 recognized by the Updater software, no matter what USB-cable or driver I try to use.

I will keep it as it is, having an eye on the temperature during the charging procedure and maybe preventing other issues, like already mentioned here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, george_eijt said:

Yes; it is the exact same response as I have received. It is a bummer for you guys who's G10T's are not holding their charge. My issue is that my receiver and transmitter are not in sync. I have never experienced that problem before. Not once. It happened immediately after the update (receiver: v.1.01 and G10T:v.1.05). The receiver tells me (after an hour or so) that the G10T needs to be charged. But my G10T is green. It's not a (real) problem, but I find it strange that this happened after the update. I only wanted to tell this to Line 6-support and was wondering if there is a new firmware (soon or not?) to be released, but I am told that "there is no information about other firmware updates."

 

Good luck with your new G10T and let us know if the transmitter will give you 6 hours of play-time and what does your receiver tell you(?)

 

When you say the receive tells you it needs charged, what do you mean? It’s blinking red? If the transmitter isn’t blinking red, I’d go by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

When you say the receive tells you it needs charged, what do you mean? It’s blinking red? If the transmitter isn’t blinking red, I’d go by that.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The receiver is blinking red and the transmitter not (solid green). The other thing I have noticed is that the transmitter is randomly being charged by the receiver. I have never seen this before (the latest update); so it's solid green into the receiver, all of a sudden it begins blinking green again. While charging (blinking green) sometimes it begins to blink red again for a while, then back to blinking green and so on. Never witnessed this before.

 

It's not the end of the world, but just something I am experiencing with the latest firmware (my unit is 5 months old). Before this G10s I had an G10 (for several years) and never had any problems with it or my current G10s.

 

You say that you do not experience any problems with your unit. So your receiver and transmitter are always in sync? (for example you play for several hours and the transmitter as well as your receiver show the same indication)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, george_eijt said:

You say that you do not experience any problems with your unit. So your receiver and transmitter are always in sync? (for example you play for several hours and the transmitter as well as your receiver show the same indication)

 

The receiver seems to start blinking red well before the transmitter. I've hardly ever looked at the receiver while using my G10S because at home it's in a rack shelf. But I have noticed a few times, that the bars started going down earlier than I expected. It still seemed, though, that I was getting close to the six hours with the transmitter. So I don't know - something seems off as far as the battery life indication on the receiver goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

The receiver seems to start blinking red well before the transmitter. I've hardly ever looked at the receiver while using my G10S because at home it's in a rack shelf. But I have noticed a few times, that the bars started going down earlier than I expected. It still seemed, though, that I was getting close to the six hours with the transmitter. So I don't know - something seems off as far as the battery life indication on the receiver goes.

OK; well I was kind of hoping that the Line 6 tech people are/were researching this and perhaps the battery-life (an issue to some people) too.

 

I wish you all a good weekend in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar issue here, 

 

I updated my g10, both transmitter and receiver to the new firmware per the security reasons, and now it’s not charging, base is white for a while, transmitter blinking red, seems charging but after some time base goes red again and the transmitter seems to discharge until not blinking any more , please help! Are you releasing another firmware update? I just opened a ticket, very disappointed, not a cheap unit and it’s sad to see it ruined for a fw update 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I have not been table o follow those topics the last few days. Just an update from my support ticket last week or so.

 

Quote

Hi,
right now there's no information or timeline for a new firmware available

 

Well, I just give up with line 6 support. Once things go back to "normal" in Europe,  I will send my transmitter back, and if lucky, I will sell it. It's just useless for me with such a poor battery life. As far as I can read, even fresh new G10T experience the same issue. It does not surprise me, as our units worked very well just before the firmware update.

 

This firmware is just crappy, there's just nothing more to say. And relay G10 is definitely not something to recommend anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, Jyda said:

Of course, after three days of trying to get a charge by letting the transmitter sit in the unit for hours, seeing it go from blinking red to a constant black, unplugging and doing the same again several times, reinstalling firmware, leaving everything unplugged over night, plugging in and doing everything over again, and finally opening a ticket and bitching about it here, it now decided to work and now is fully charged. :) Haven't used it yet to see how long the charge holds, though.

 

Hello! I seem to have the same situation as you, red blinking, not charging at all, wonder how your unit is doing? Have you tested how long the charge lasts? I’m gonna do the leaving -two -days disconnected - thing, see if mine works , as I’ve done all the rest same as you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my response from customer service 

 

I am sorry to hear about your gear! It seems that your transmitter may be having battery issues. I highly suggest reaching out to your distributor for assistance when possible.

 

really? Line6 really needs to provide a formal workaround to this issue, we need a new firmware!! It’s disappointing! My gear was working just fine before the firmware update!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a similar issue. Just purchased brand new and updated to the new (1_1 & 1_5) firmware as strongly suggested by Line 6.

The first try upgrade did not succeed because the unit was not even recharged by the base. The second try worked but now the G10T works only for less than 2 hours than it flash red and it turns off.  I left it on the base even a full night but the result has been the same: 2 hours and then low battery again. I never had an issue with LINE 6 products so I hope a new FW fix will coming soon. I have 7 days to decide if keep it or send it back to the seller asking  the right of withdrawal according to the law.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, idra32 said:

I'm having a similar issue. Just purchased brand new and updated to the new (1_1 & 1_5) firmware as strongly suggested by Line 6.

The first try upgrade did not succeed because the unit was not even recharged by the base. The second try worked but now the G10T works only for less than 2 hours than it flash red and it turns off.  I left it on the base even a full night but the result has been the same: 2 hours and then low battery again. I never had an issue with LINE 6 products so I hope a new FW fix will coming soon. I have 7 days to decide if keep it or send it back to the seller asking  the right of withdrawal according to the law.

 

 

If you just bought it and can't get the battery charge to last more than 2 hours - return it ASAP!

 

At least you have a chance to get your money back - most of us with post-upgrade issues are stuck :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, idra32 said:

I'm having a similar issue. Just purchased brand new and updated to the new (1_1 & 1_5) firmware as strongly suggested by Line 6.

The first try upgrade did not succeed because the unit was not even recharged by the base. The second try worked but now the G10T works only for less than 2 hours than it flash red and it turns off.  I left it on the base even a full night but the result has been the same: 2 hours and then low battery again. I never had an issue with LINE 6 products so I hope a new FW fix will coming soon. I have 7 days to decide if keep it or send it back to the seller asking  the right of withdrawal according to the law.

 

 

Return it for a refund and then use the money to purchase one of the offerings from Boss.  Line 6 sold us a poorly engineered product and then discovered a potentially life threatening flaw.  Instead of doing a proper recall and issuing refunds, they released a firmware that crippled the product and called that a fix.  Get your money back while you still can.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line6 took away 2-3 hours playing time with new Relay G10 firmware. The new fw. does not allow the battery voltage above 4.0V
Normally the li-ion battery maximum voltage is 4.2V.
I supposed they got a wrong battery contingent from China, which overheated  during normal charging. Sold and got panic.
The old firmware has gone...
Fortunately I can charge my piggyback (1200mAh) battery from outside to 4,2V. >> 12 hours playing time.
This story is a typical Line6 story....IMG_20190130_165013.thumb.jpg.f6e8afddaf7e03212f2ff411d580e866.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Guys thank you for the suggestion. I opened a ticket........ let's wait for LINE6 will answer max for a couple of days, in the meantime I'm going to take the original package to be ready to send it back to the seller.

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi guys I've the same problem. The transmitter works for 1 1/2 hour then turns red and turns off.  Really really bad thing.... if they don't fix it soon I'm going to buy a Boss WL 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, potierro said:

hi guys I've the same problem. The transmitter works for 1 1/2 hour then turns red and turns off.  Really really bad thing.... if they don't fix it soon I'm going to buy a Boss WL 20


Well, they’re not going to fix anything, most likely. The update decreased the charging capacity of the transmitter, and yours may have been lower to begin with. Because of the way the voltage degradation curves work on these batteries, the decrease isn’t always linear.

 

Anyways, the best thing you can do is open up a support ticket. Depending on the age of your transmitter, they may send you a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"they may send a replacement"
Replacement for what?
Has the replacement original charging capacity??? I do not think so...
I think on the new one has updated fw. with limited battery voltage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated Yamaha THR30 without problem but the G10T: "firmware update failed, please try again"

I have tried 8 times and the same thing. Nothing works. Was all perfect before.

Now when I plug into the THR30 the G10T it is flashing G 1 0 E constantly.

G10T does not work at all.. Really angry... I really need it.. Please help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/6/2020 at 11:02 PM, potierro said:

hi guys I've the same problem. The transmitter works for 1 1/2 hour then turns red and turns off.  Really really bad thing.... if they don't fix it soon I'm going to buy a Boss WL 20

 

Go with the Boss. L6 is not going back, and new units they are shipping as replacement, they are lasting the same average 2-2.5 hours per charge cycle, so it’s just bubble talk and a waste of time.

 

Apart the Helix, everything else coming from l6 has a short product lifespan, these days. o/ 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, I have one transmiter and two receivers.

Updated both receivers and the transtiter.

One of the receivers works ok, the other don't. The receiver flash red, receiver green and don't work.

 

How can I revert to old software version?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gradim said:

 

How can I revert to old software version?

 

 

You can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ballzack10 said:

Just bought this crap and first time playing on full charge was 1 1/2 hours wtf???

 


It died after 1.5 hours? You should have the full six hours. I’d suggest exchanging it through the retailer or opening up a support ticket. Opening a support ticket would be helpful to Line 6 in that it could help them track things down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, phil_m said:


It died after 1.5 hours? You should have the full six hours. I’d suggest exchanging it through the retailer or opening up a support ticket. Opening a support ticket would be helpful to Line 6 in that it could help them track things down.

 

Here's the thing with battery life estimates... they're all a fantasy, period... and the device in question is almost irrelevant. The same way the mileage estimates that car manufacturers put on the sticker are a fantasy. Under optimal conditions, don't use the A/C, and only drive downhill with a constant 30mph tail wind... blah, blah, blah. Those estimates exist to make the product seem more impressive than it actually is... in a word, advertising. But real-world results and "best case scenario" estimates are never, ever the same thing. Life simply isn't that convenient.

 

I never got the full 8 hours of use from my original unit even when it was brand new... and I didn't expect to, just going on experience. I got about 6.5 hrs, which probably dwindled to around 6 hours or so after a year of regular use. Enter the firmware "fix", and that 6hrs was cut in half, not capped at 80% capacity, as claimed. It's simple math...80% of the then-current 6 hour life should have given me 4.8 hours of use, give or take. The reality proved to be significantly less. Why, I have no idea. In the absence of any real info, I can only guess that it's because the 80% figure is a fantasy as well. And the fact that my replacement unit is behaving similarly, supports that assumption. It lasts slightly longer than the battery that has some miles on it, but I'm not even hitting the aforementioned 4.8 hrs, nevermind the new estimate of 6 hours.

 

Now I've said it before, and I'll say it again... customer service was very nice to me, and replaced the thing no questions asked. However the replacement had already been saddled with the same handicap as the original unit... so it's not exactly what you'd call a "win".

 

I understand that it was a liability issue...but a "fix" that hobbles every unit sold is not a fix. It's a cheap way to satisfy a bunch of lawyers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very disappointed with LiNE6 about this G10 upgrade.

I continued to complain about the battery reduction after G10 the upgrade of the support ticket, dealer, etc, but they did not help

This time it's very stressful for me Gave

I have been using line6 for over 10 years....

I sold the G10 cheaply to a used market. 

And I bought Boss's WL-20.. / bye bye Line6 service.....so long...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here , same action

 

I updated my g10, both transmitter and receiver to the new firmware per the security reasons, and now it’s not charging, base is white for a while, transmitter blinking red, seems charging but after some time base goes red again and the transmitter seems to discharge until not blinking any more , please help! Are you releasing another firmware update? I just opened a ticket, very disappointed, not a cheap unit and it’s sad to see it ruined for a fw update

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@chicovespa This is exactly what’s happening to my unit. I opened the ticket and after a few push backs from them saying this was related to my unit and not to the FW, (I kept saying my unit worked fine before the update) they told me to contact my local distributor, which in my case is in Mexico City, I need to wait until they reopen because of the pandemics. Hope they will be able to fix it , as I bought it on Amazon , not from the local distributor. Very disappointed with the unit, and the Line6 service as well, they should just have a new FW released !!! Thinking seriously to buy a Boss WL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line 6 just answered me : 

 

Hi, the update reduces the charge capacity so that there’s no chance of overcharge.

The reduction applies to batteries in all states of previous capacity, so if an older or heavily used battery was already depleting, the update could result in shorter overall capacity. We will replace the transmitter.

For this we ask you to contact your Line 6 reseller from where you've purchased the G10.

The old firmware cannot be reinstalled due to security reasons. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

 

Best regards Olaf Schildt Line 6/Ampeg Support Europe "

 

I will try to contact Thomann, they are very serious and responsible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just arrived the Boss WL 20. it's a shame that Yamaha lets Line 6 do these things.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a reply I got from Line 6 support on the future firmware updates on the battery capacity:
 

Thanks for the reply. There will be no further firmware released to change battery capacity with Relay G10. It was previously that a new transmitter should provide 8 hours of playtime on a full charge; now it will be 6 hours, and proportionally similar increments should be seen with older or frequently used batteries, respectively. That is a lasting change in the product functionality due to the resolution of the potential overheating hazard. If you feel the unit is failing beyond this change, then you should contact the distributor once again, for warranty options.
Kind regards,
Jason-Line 6 support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jeremyjohn90 said:

now it will be 6 hours, and proportionally similar increments should be seen with older or frequently used batteries, respectively. That is a lasting change in the product functionality due to the resolution of the potential overheating hazard. If you feel the unit is failing beyond this change, then you should contact the distributor once again, for warranty options.
Kind regards,
Jason-Line 6 support

 

Plain and simple bulllollipop. A bunch of liars paid to lie.

 

2 hours, max 2.5 hours. That’s it. If you contact support for a replacement, they will send you a new one, which last 2.5 hours.

 

Liars

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we are all in the same trash can! It seems Yamaha, Inc., DBA Line 6 don't care if the unit only lasts for about 2 hours (1/2 a Gig for most) No takes responsibility for the Idiots that don't understand the Lithium Batteries and not to leave them alone charging.

 

Consider us Lucky that we didn't get caught in a Live a Board Boat that caught fire from several batteries being charged overnight without Supervision. 30 People Died to prove they are volatile!! I have returned to sanity with 9 Volt Batteries that you throw away or go back to my 25' Cable

 

Sorry guys we all got the same BS!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So angry about this update everything was fine until the update now it's totally useless and unusable they obviously know about the problem but have done nothing to fix it, yeah just leave everyone out of pocket. unbelievable situation, so come on SORT IT OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Byds1963 said:

So angry about this update everything was fine until the update now it's totally useless and unusable they obviously know about the problem but have done nothing to fix it, yeah just leave everyone out of pocket. unbelievable situation, so come on SORT IT OUT!

 

Like it or not, they did sort it out... melting batteries were a problem, and now they aren't. Lawyers happy, company happy, everybody else pi$$ed.

 

"Two out of three ain't bad"...

- Meat Loaf

 

Lmao...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...