Jump to content
tjmaclean

G10 Relay Update Issue

Recommended Posts

I bricked my G10 doing the update.  Wouldn't charge and wouldn't link. I opened a support ticket and they sent me an RA label right away. Within a week I had a new unit that works perfectly. They were very responsive and took care of it quickly. I'm 100% satisfied with them. I was on my second transmitter which I broke, my fault.(These things are a bit delicate).I just bought another one since they're so cheap. Now I have a brand new spare. (With an inexpensive piece like this, I always want to have a spare.)  So I'm happy to report that the new unit I bought works fine, and the replacement unit works fine too. Best of luck everybody, take it for what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zgm676 said:

I just bought another one since they're so cheap.

 

160€ for a thing that last 2.5hours per charge, I wouldnt really call it cheap. 

 

That firmware, that was cheap indeed. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody have sync issues with their G10T to a Yamaha THR30IIA.  The G10T is at v1.06.  When I open THR Remote app, it does the sync to the amp, but nothing updates so I assume the internal transmitter is current.  Yamaha Support accepted my case, but it has been a week and nothing.  Not sure which vendor has the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so over this.  First firmware fix bricked the transmitter.  Second one fixed the brick.  But, destroyed battery life and connectivity.  Third fixed some battery life.  Connectivity is still complete trash.  I am literally 6 feet from the receiver and I am cutting in and out in 5 minutes.  Not the guitar!  I have 15 and I have tried them all.  Its the damn system.  I am so pissed right now.  IT WORKED FINE UNTIL THE FIRST UPDATE!  Probably won't work at all now.  It is somewhere across the room or inside the wall this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does blue dot mean by serial number  on transmitter and relay?  I have 3 of these units and this one is the only one with blue dot. All the transmitters will not charge in the blue dot relay. Does anyone know why? I’ve tried the update didn’t do anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue with my G10 as well and simply re-did the flash update and it worked fine after the second go round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He guy’s is this G10 issue fixed now?  I have a Helix and a Yamaha THR30II, and I would really like a wireless system.  The Helix will work with anything, but the THR only works with the G10 system as far as I understand it.   I have never had any issues with Line 6 hardware, but they are owned by Yamaha now.  I’m not knocking Yamaha, but my THR30II has and APP that increase functionality of the amp by 50% now it is totally inoperative for several months now.   I put in a trouble ticket 3 months ago and I have not heard from them.  They have not fixed that yet either!  So who knows if the quality reputation will remain under Yamaha Leadership.  Buy or not buy?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My unit was AWESOME!!!!  ... then I updated to firmware 1.2.  Now, about every 3-5 minutes I get momentary dropouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I'd have read this thread before updating the firmware in my G10 this afternoon, prompted by the 'scare' warnings from Line 6 re overheating. I was on v1.0 receiver and v 1.1 transmitter (now v1.1 and v1.6) and my G10 is now buggered.  I've raised a ticket of course but I'm so darned angry as there was nothing wrong with it and now it works for 5 mins then conks out and won't 'awake' when strummed - just flashes red.   It's not the only thing flashing red!  :FM:FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

I wish I'd have read this thread before updating the firmware in my G10 this afternoon, prompted by the 'scare' warnings from Line 6 re overheating. I was on v1.0 receiver and v 1.1 transmitter (now v1.1 and v1.6) and my G10 is now buggered.  I've raised a ticket of course but I'm so darned angry as there was nothing wrong with it and now it works for 5 mins then conks out and won't 'awake' when strummed - just flashes red.   It's not the only thing flashing red!  :FM:FM

 

welcome to our misery :(   

 

if these problems were known in advance, I doubt any of us would have upgraded...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, following a post on the Gear Page, Line 6s Frank Ritchotte posted that the problem may be with the transmitter and Line 6 will replace it. Similar response to some other folk who have had problems ie Line 6 will replace the faulty transmitter  Inc where the battery life has badly faded. 

 

So, despite my initial anger/ frustrations ( hey I'm only human) it's great to know Line 6 has our backs on this and giving great customer support, and I recommend anyone experiencing problems to raise a ticket with Line 6 support and they'll get it sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

So, following a post on the Gear Page, Line 6s Frank Ritchotte posted that the problem may be with the transmitter and Line 6 will replace it. Similar response to some other folk who have had problems ie Line 6 will replace the faulty transmitter  Inc where the battery life has badly faded. 

 

So, despite my initial anger/ frustrations ( hey I'm only human) it's great to know Line 6 has our backs on this and giving great customer support, and I recommend anyone experiencing problems to raise a ticket with Line 6 support and they'll get it sorted.

 

Dont hold your breath, since even a brand new unit (flashed with new firmware) will give you less than half of the "old days" battery charge duration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

So, following a post on the Gear Page, Line 6s Frank Ritchotte posted that the problem may be with the transmitter and Line 6 will replace it. Similar response to some other folk who have had problems ie Line 6 will replace the faulty transmitter  Inc where the battery life has badly faded. 

 

So, despite my initial anger/ frustrations ( hey I'm only human) it's great to know Line 6 has our backs on this and giving great customer support, and I recommend anyone experiencing problems to raise a ticket with Line 6 support and they'll get it sorted.

 

Perhaps your experience will be different, but don't count on it. To their credit, L6 replaced mine after the update halved the battery life of my original unit, but the new one is no different. Now I just use one and keep the other charged, and swap when it gets into the red zone after 2.5-3 hours. When these units are done and both battery's already limited capacity fades, I'll be looking for another wireless solution... this one is a hobbled product.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following feedback above I've posted the following on The Gear Page:

 

[USER=170322]@Frank Ritchotte[/USER] Hi Frank - Having posted very positively on the Line 6 Community page about your response/Line 6 support on the G10 firmware issue, there seems to be feedback that even with units replaced by Line 6, the battery life is no longer 8 hours but drops to 2.5/3hrs. From what I've picked up from reading about the firmware upgrade, it appears that to address the overheating issue the charging time has been reduced such that the charge the transmitter can now retain has been more than halved.  I'd be grateful for your comments as to whether these reports are valid.

 

Frank, if you haven't already seen this, you might want to have a read through this 5 page thread on the Line 6 Community, as clearly the latest update has caused some major problems and with so many others experiencing the same issue after updating the firmware, this cannot be a battery issue.  If there was nothing wrong with the original firmware that I had, I'd really like the option to try rolling the firmware back and see if my original operating condition and battery life are restored. Is this something Line 6 could make possible?

 

https://line6.com/support/topic/54620-g10-relay-update-issue/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 6:14 AM, voxman55 said:

I'd really like the option to try rolling the firmware back and see if my original operating condition and battery life are restored. Is this something Line 6 could make possible?

 

We'd all love that.... but it's never gonna happen, no matter how nicely you ask or how high on the corporate ladder you climb. This is a liability issue, end of story. And like it or not, the chosen "fix" is artificially limiting the battery's charge capacity. The lawyers will never allow them to roll the dice and redistribute the old firmware. Thank the users who left the batteries charging endlessly and set fire to the drapes... whomever they are, they're the reason that this product no longer functions as originally advertised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

We'd all love that.... but it's never gonna happen, no matter how nicely you ask or how high on the corporate ladder you climb. This is a liability issue, end of story. And like it or not, the chosen "fix" is artificially limiting the battery's charge capacity. The lawyers will never allow them to roll the dice and redistribute the old firmware. Thank the users who left the batteries charging endlessly and set fire to the drapes... whomever they are, they're the reason that this product no longer functions as originally advertised.

I'm still awaiting a response from Line 6 customer support but I have raised the valid issue 're reduced functionality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

I'm still awaiting a response from Line 6 customer support but I have raised the valid issue 're reduced functionality. 

 

I didn't say your gripe wasn't valid... on the contrary. It's a perfectly valid complaint, and the device is no longer the same product we all purchased. Unfortunately, true though that may be, it's also irrelevant. Lawyers run the world, and liability issues trump everything... that's just how the world is. This problem is a year old now (give or take), and they've made their position crystal clear. The fix is what it is, and the old firmware ain't coming back... the risk, small as it is, is not something they're going to be willing  gamble on. If you get an answer at all, don't be surprised when that's exactly what they tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally, the official specs were declaring 8hrs of charge duration. Today (and that's since the new firmware), they are saying 6hrs, in the same specs;

 

"The system also includes the compact G10T transmitter, which plugs into your instrument's input and features a rechargeable battery that provides 6 hours of playing time on a single charge."

 

Real life is max 3hrs, with a brand new unit. This is false advertising: https://www.classlawgroup.com/consumer-protection/false-advertising/laws/

 

In an ideal world, this would be enough for a Class Action for a global refund. That's also more food for lawyers lol!

 

In the real world, is a big L6 shrugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

I didn't say your gripe wasn't valid... on the contrary. It's a perfectly valid complaint, and the device is no longer the same product we all purchased. Unfortunately, true though that may be, it's also irrelevant. Lawyers run the world, and liability issues trump everything... that's just how the world is. This problem is a year old now (give or take), and they've made their position crystal clear. The fix is what it is, and the old firmware ain't coming back... the risk, small as it is, is not something they're going to be willing  gamble on. If you get an answer at all, don't be surprised when that's exactly what they tell you.

Sorry, but you misunderstand me.

 

Firstly, I'm not griping, I'm discussing the problem.

 

Secondly, I'm not expecting Line 6 to roll back it's firmware, as I fully understand its position...I merely said it would be nice if that were possible. There have been a number of firmware upgrades and  I'm unclear whether the overheating issue impacts on all firmware versions or only specific ones. If for example the problems arose e.g. with v1.3, and there is no issue with e.g. v1.1, then might that not be a possibility? At this stage we have a lack of information, hence I'm simply looking to ask questions. 

 

What I do expect is for Line 6 to replace the unit, which I'm sure they will do. I would then like to explore with them what longer term solution they propose. It's clear they have been forced to alter the parameters of the current units for safety reasons. 

 

However if the new parameters, vis a vis battery life between recharges, is significantly reduced, this is clearly a short term fix that leaves customers with a specification that falls short of the original and on which customers based their purchase decision. At some stage Line 6 will develop a replacement that solves the problem. This seems likely because the Boss WL-50 is a compatible product  (at least with the G10S, but the G10 and G10S transmitter is the same, and it's the transmitter that has the problem) at a similar price point that offers up to 12 hours battery life per charging cycle.  So there is clearly technology to resolve the problem. 

 

Will Line 6 be offering customers a new model replacement, once available, without charge? Will it offer the new model at a significant disount? Will it offer a full refund to unsatisfied customers?  

 

In short, I think there are some reasonable questions to be asked of Line 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Will Line 6 be offering customers a new model replacement, once available, without charge?

 

Not in a million years.

 

Quote

 

Will it offer the new model at a significant disount?

 

Sone sort of rebate on a future purchase? Maybe, as this wouldn't  cost them nearly as much as your other suggestions, but it would be far from free, and still a long shot, imho.

 

Quote

Will it offer a full refund to unsatisfied customers?

 

See first answer above.  If they were gonna do that en masse, it would have happened some time ago. It certainly won't happen years hence, whenever the next wireless unit shows up.

 

Quote

 

In short, I think there are some reasonable questions to be asked of Line 6. 

 

If life were fair, then sure. However, while everything you propose might generate all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings amongst currently unhappy customers, they'd be financially ruinous. You can't take good will to the bank and cash it, and this simply isn't how companies operate. If I'm wrong, so be it... but I'll bet good money that we've already seen the sum total of the efforts to compensate those affected. You'll probably get a replacement unit, as I did... but expecting anything beyond that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

If life were fair, then sure. However, while everything you propose might generate all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings amongst currently unhappy customers, they'd be financially ruinous. You can't take good will to the bank and cash it, and this simply isn't how companies operate. If I'm wrong, so be it... but I'll bet good money that we've already seen the sum total of the efforts to compensate those affected. You'll probably get a replacement unit, as I did... but expecting anything beyond that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

 

Well, let's say some company are more fair than others.

 

I suffered a swollen battery with a 3 years old iPhone. Brought to service for a repair on a Apple service, they gave me a brand new iPhone (new model as mine was previous gen) for no money. That is the Apple's Quality Program E1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, voxman55 said:

At some stage Line 6 will develop a replacement that solves the problem. This seems likely because the Boss WL-50 is a compatible product  (at least with the G10S, but the G10 and G10S transmitter is the same, and it's the transmitter that has the problem) at a similar price point that offers up to 12 hours battery life per charging cycle.  So there is clearly technology to resolve the problem. 

 

I bought a WL-50, to replace my two G10. Well, it's a nice unit, but does affect the tone, especially on hot pickups. Kind of dirty breakin/distortion at any distance from the receiver. I'd suggest to try it before to buy it. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PierM said:

 

I bought a WL-50, to replace my two G10. Well, it's a nice unit, but does affect the tone, especially on hot pickups. Kind of dirty breakin/distortion at any distance from the receiver. I'd suggest to try it before to buy it. ;)

 

Thanks, I wasn't looking to buy one - I was simply using it as an example of an equivalent unit where the battery life is 12 hrs i.e. this appears to be a design/technology issue.  If the G10 cannot safely do what was purported, then surely this means the original design had to be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

Not in a million years.

 

 

Sone sort of rebate on a future purchase? Maybe, as this wouldn't  cost them nearly as much as your other suggestions, but it would be far from free, and still a long shot, imho.

 

 

See first answer above.  If they were gonna do that en masse, it would have happened some time ago. It certainly won't happen years hence, whenever the next wireless unit shows up.

 

 

If life were fair, then sure. However, while everything you propose might generate all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings amongst currently unhappy customers, they'd be financially ruinous. You can't take good will to the bank and cash it, and this simply isn't how companies operate. If I'm wrong, so be it... but I'll bet good money that we've already seen the sum total of the efforts to compensate those affected. You'll probably get a replacement unit, as I did... but expecting anything beyond that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

You do have a tendency of adding a little 'spin' to my posts.  I'm not 'proposing' anything - merely asking questions. What you're saying may have some validity but it is Line 6 to whom the questions will be asked, and it is for them to respond to these. I intend to ask them those questions. But in instances where companies are required to do a product recall on any product they of course have no option, although here may be certain insurance provision in place to support them. However,  It appears this is not the case here as Line 6 appear to be managing the safety aspect responsibly.  Although the reduced functionality won't be of concern to the relevant safety agency, this will be a matter for the company to address with its customers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PierM said:

 

Well, let's say some company are more fair than others.

 

I suffered a swollen battery with a 3 years old iPhone. Brought to service for a repair on a Apple service, they gave me a brand new iPhone (new model as mine was previous gen) for no money. That is the Apple's Quality Program E1.

 

OK... that was nice of them, but it's also one unit, not a massive free upgrade program and/ or full refund for everybody who bought that particular phone, which is what he's proposed as a solution. And it's Apple... they've got enough money to start their own country if they felt like it. Expecting that degree of "fairness" from a company the size of L6, that makes toys for a tiny segment of the populace is a pipe dream. There's no more recompense coming... we all might a well get used to that idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

What you're saying is not unreasonable. But in instances where companies are required to do a product recall they have no option,.  And there may even be certain insurances in place to support them.  I intend to raise the issues nevertheless. 

 

Ok. Good luck to you...tilt at all the windmills you like. But if there was gonna be a recall, it would have happened a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line6 is already preparing to sell the G10T II (probably the problem has been solved by hardware), and will sell it with POD go wireless.

You can see leaked photo in https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/hx-stomp-xl.2221270/page-29#post-31900505

Because the photo resolution is not high, it is difficult to see, but the color has changed from black to dark gray, and the battery appears to be a little larger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

Ok. Good luck to you...tilt at all the windmills you like. But if there was gonna be a recall, it would have happened a year ago. 

There you again with your spin. I write one thing and you read something different. I know there will be no product recall because they've met their safety obligations as I said, and I specifically said a recall doesn't apply here. With all respect you need to read and take in what people are writing otherwise your responses won't be providing the value you intend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, godoq said:

Line6 is already preparing to sell the G10T II (probably the problem has been solved by hardware), and will sell it with POD go wireless.

You can see leaked photo in https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/hx-stomp-xl.2221270/page-29#post-31900505

Because the photo resolution is not high, it is difficult to see, but the color has changed from black to dark gray, and the battery appears to be a little larger.

That's interesting and I'll certainly be asking if any replacement can be with a new version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, voxman55 said:

There you again with your spin. I write one thing and you read something different.

 

Oh, I did indeed read something different... quite different, actually. In fact, below is the sum total of what I read, and precisely what I quoted. I cut nothing, I edited nothing, I added nothing:

 

On 2/9/2021 at 6:37 AM, voxman55 said:

What you're saying is not unreasonable. But in instances where companies are required to do a product recall they have no option,.  And there may even be certain insurances in place to support them.  I intend to raise the issues nevertheless. 

 

Everything that now follows, in a post twice it's original length, acknowledging the fact the a recall won't be forthcoming, etc, was all clearly added after the fact... and even those few sentences above have since been heavily edited, rearranged,  and expounded upon... but I'm the spin doctor? Right, you got me. Let's not pretend that it's my reading comprehension skills that are at fault here. Revisionist history and gaslighting do not win arguments,

 

Either way, I'm done. I hope they give you everything you want, plus a gold plated Rolls Royce for your trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, absurd is unthinkable, a product purchased 2 and a half years ago, used 5-6 times at most, I disbanded the band since then I have not used it anymore, when I used it it lasted 8 hours Perfect excellent, I resumed in this period and by chance I had read the recall, I updated the product and it does not last more than 1 hour and a half at most 2 but it does not get there, I did everything nothing then later, stupid, I read the topic and I regret as some of the staff question these absurd defects that you and only you are responsible, say that they are fine, even more absurd and that the same character does not give a damn about all your customers complain about the same problem, and the answer "the product is used and it is normal that the battery charge may decline".
I tell this person:
1) Does it seem normal to you that a product used for 4-5 times can "suddenly" be thrown away with your update? and if you want to consider that someone can not say that he used it more, I tell you is to be considered to be thrown away a product used if not true 4-5 times has been used 20-30 times? absurdity.
2) I believe that without a shadow of a doubt there can be legal actions against Line 6 because, at the time of purchase a "contract" is born in effect you declare the characteristics to me you give me the price I accept and stop . But if after buying the product you change the characteristics of the product. I have the full right to decide to terminate the "contract" because you have been fraudulent.
So I invite friends to read them to challenge this incorrect behavior of the manufacturer even more than the behavior of distrust shown by those who should protect the image of the company to the detriment of those who make it "live" THE CUSTOMERS who buy the product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated to 1.06 from 1.05 and bricked my G10. It's an original G10, not the S. Same symptoms and indicators as everyone else with the Rx pulsing red.

 

I reflashed the Rx and Tx several times to no avail. I even downgraded back to v 1.05 with no luck. Yes, you can downgrade to the older firmware/software if you have the files. I've always downloaded and saved all update files so I still have v 1.05

 

After it initially bricked, I reflashed it four or five times and nothing changed. I did both the Tx and Rx multiple times.

 

Here is where it gets a little weird. I had unplugged the Rx power and had the Tx laying in the desk. Then, without thinking I plugged the Rx back into power with the Tx still laying on the desk. Whoa, now I see the Rx pulsing white. I then plugged the Tx into the Rx and now it is working fine. WTF???

 

I can not comment on battery life or short range dropouts at this time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a copy of my post on 'The Gear Page' that I think is self explanatory.  In short, I'm getting only 2.5-3hrs on a brand new replacement G10T:

 

My original G10T worked perfectly but was ruined by the v1.06 firmware safety upgrade. I had no doubt Line 6 would replace it, but I raised concerns with Line 6 Customer support at outset that battery usage reported on various forums from those who had their G10T's replaced was around 2.5 to 3hrs. However, they wrote to me 11/2 assuring me that: " Hi, on firmware 1.06 the correct playtime of a working/functional G10T is 5.5 to 6 hours (8 hours is not possible anymore)".

After having waited a month (my original G10T was picked up by UPS on 18/2), I received a replacement from E&M Electronic services on 18th March. I made sure the G10T was fully charged before I used it. I fully charged the G10T when I received it, and again when power had gone. I can now confirm that i'm getting only 2.5-3hrs, exactly as reported on numerous forums. It was the same both times. Needless to say I am far from happy. When I bought the G10 (it cost around £139 UK I think when I bought it) it was with the expectation of an 8 hr battery life. I am not prepared to send the replacement back again and wait for another unit. It's clear that the v1.06 significantly reduces the charging time and battery life between charges. I'd have accepted 5.5 to 6 hrs as being reasonable, but I don't accept 2.5 - 3hrs. This is no longer the unit I purchased, and I have no confidence it will last through a 3 hr band practice session or a gig.

I understand that the G10T II has a larger battery and should give better battery life. I've therefore written to Line 6 customer support today requesting that they provide a G10T II for me to try and if that unit lasts 5.5-6hrs I will happily keep that and return the G10T to Line 6 - but not until I've received the G10T II and had a chance to test it. Alternatively, I asked Line 6 to refund me £139 which will allow me to buy a replacement unit from eg Boss that seem to have no problems with their battery life. Currently, the Boss WL-20L Wireless System is £143 and the WL50 is £154 from GAK. Battery life is up to 12 hours of continuous playing time. If Boss can provide a unit with that length of battery life I simply don't understand why there seems to be such a problem with the G10T or even G10T II?

I appreciate the tonal quality from G10 may be a little better than eg the Boss unit, and I would need the WL50 for equivalent range (based on youtube reviews/tests) but if the G10T only lasts 2.5-3 hrs, then it is simply not able to do the job I need it to do. This is such a disappointment because before the firmware change I was very happy with my G10T.

@Frank Ritchotte if you're looking in, I'd be most appreciative of your comments on this please.   "

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After uploading receiver firmware Have had zero luck uploading the transmitter update....I’m thinking the best fix would be throwing it in the trash and using my guitar cable and staying away from line6 altogether 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, PierM said:

 

I don't understand what's the point to open a ticket. They say you need a new transmitter. Wrong answer, since I didn't need any new transmitter until that stupid upgrade.

 

So the question is; who's paying for that? Im not gonna accept "me" as an answer.

Line 6 will arrange for a replacement at no cost but you have to open a ticket. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 4:38 PM, kontra66 said:

Line6 took away 2-3 hours playing time with new Relay G10 firmware. The new fw. does not allow the battery voltage above 4.0V
Normally the li-ion battery maximum voltage is 4.2V.
I supposed they got a wrong battery contingent from China, which overheated  during normal charging. Sold and got panic.
The old firmware has gone...
Fortunately I can charge my piggyback (1200mAh) battery from outside to 4,2V. >> 12 hours playing time.
This story is a typical Line6 story....IMG_20190130_165013.thumb.jpg.f6e8afddaf7e03212f2ff411d580e866.jpg

 

Although this is some time now, I think that your solution could be a highly practical one, especially when the original battery eventually stops working (regardless of Firmware version). Could you provide us with some more details on what you did and how you charge it etc?

 

I have a bunch of very high quality 18650 batteries, but they are a bit too big to fit as nicely as you made it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys & gals :wave

 

Thought I'd post an update on my G10T 'journey'. 

 

The first replacement lasted just 3 hrs between charges.  I complained and Line 6 sent me a 2nd replacement through the UK distributor that was supposed to have been tested - I'm somewhat sceptical as they said that within 2 days they had ran it & recharged it twice and it held charge for a tad over 6hrs each time.  How could they possibly find time over two working days to play guitar for 12 hrs plus charging time?! :confused- and when I received it, the seal wasn't broken on the polythene packet. (I took photos) Hmmm  :huh

 

Anyway:

 

The first two times I charged it (fully depleted, and full charge) it again only lasted three hours.:facepalm  Here we go again, I thought! 

 

But since then I've had puzzling variations ranging from 4hrs to 6.75hrs - yup, you read that right...6.75 hrs (almost up to the 7hrs that a G10T II is supposed to give).

The last 3 charges have given me: 6hrs 44 minutes, 6hrs 17 mins, and 6hrs 33 mins - so it looks like it might be settling down to some kind of consistency.:dude

 

If you're wondering how I can be so accurate with time, it's because I use the stopwatch on my phone to time; the moment I plug in the G10T I start the timer (accumulative mode), and the moment I stop playing, I stop the timer.  I remove the G10T the moment I stop playing and it never goes back in the base unit until all power is depleted.

 

I am playing at home in my den, so no substantial change in temperature/environment.  Why there should have been such a range of playing periods (prior to hitting the 6hr+ mark) is beyond me.  I've updated Line 6 but asked them not to close the ticket yet until I've satisfied myself over the next 4 weeks (I'm still working so can only really play over the weekend) that the G10T is consistently giving 6hrs plus playing time - if it does, then that's great and I'm happy to keep it - it's not the 8hrs of the original (which was the advertised time) but I'm a reasonable guy and to be fair Line 6 did let me keep the first replacement that gives 3hrs so I have a backup.

 

But if the 2nd replacement doesn't, and reverts to large inconsistent variations of playing time (hours, not minutes), then I've told them they'll then need to replace with a G10T II, or provide me with a refund.  They told me Line 6 aren't replacing G10T's with Mark II's, (which is of course utter rubbish as various folk on forums, including here, have had G10T II replacements).  They also told me I'd have to provide the original receipt from umpteen years back - again, utter nonsense because the original was registered with them, and they've had it back - so I think that proves it existed! :bumpbump So I suggested that if we got to that stage, they should refer to Frank Ritchotte at Line 6 ( Frank's the Senior Operations Director at Yamaha and a great guy and I know he'd sort it).  

 

Anyway, so far so good & fingers crossed the 6+hrs consistency continues.  Keep watching, for the next exciting episode of 'Voxman vs the Line 6 G10T' :rockin:rotflmao

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Hi guys & gals :wave

 

Thought I'd post an update on my G10T 'journey'. 

 

The first replacement lasted just 3 hrs between charges.  I complained and Line 6 sent me a 2nd replacement through the UK distributor that was supposed to have been tested - I'm somewhat sceptical as they said that within 2 days they had ran it & recharged it twice and it held charge for a tad over 6hrs each time.  How could they possibly find time over two working days to play guitar for 12 hrs plus charging time?! :confused- and when I received it, the seal wasn't broken on the polythene packet. (I took photos) Hmmm  :huh

 

Anyway:

 

The first two times I charged it (fully depleted, and full charge) it again only lasted three hours.:facepalm  Here we go again, I thought! 

 

But since then I've had puzzling variations ranging from 4hrs to 6.75hrs - yup, you read that right...6.75 hrs (almost up to the 7hrs that a G10T II is supposed to give).

The last 3 charges have given me: 6hrs 44 minutes, 6hrs 17 mins, and 6hrs 33 mins - so it looks like it might be settling down to some kind of consistency.:dude

 

If you're wondering how I can be so accurate with time, it's because I use the stopwatch on my phone to time; the moment I plug in the G10T I start the timer (accumulative mode), and the moment I stop playing, I stop the timer.  I remove the G10T the moment I stop playing and it never goes back in the base unit until all power is depleted.

 

I am playing at home in my den, so no substantial change in temperature/environment.  Why there should have been such a range of playing periods (prior to hitting the 6hr+ mark) is beyond me.  I've updated Line 6 but asked them not to close the ticket yet until I've satisfied myself over the next 4 weeks (I'm still working so can only really play over the weekend) that the G10T is consistently giving 6hrs plus playing time - if it does, then that's great and I'm happy to keep it - it's not the 8hrs of the original (which was the advertised time) but I'm a reasonable guy and to be fair Line 6 did let me keep the first replacement that gives 3hrs so I have a backup.

 

But if the 2nd replacement doesn't, and reverts to large inconsistent variations of playing time (hours, not minutes), then I've told them they'll then need to replace with a G10T II, or provide me with a refund.  They told me Line 6 aren't replacing G10T's with Mark II's, (which is of course utter rubbish as various folk on forums, including here, have had G10T II replacements).  They also told me I'd have to provide the original receipt from umpteen years back - again, utter nonsense because the original was registered with them, and they've had it back - so I think that proves it existed! :bumpbump So I suggested that if we got to that stage, they should refer to Frank Ritchotte at Line 6 ( Frank's the Senior Operations Director at Yamaha and a great guy and I know he'd sort it).  

 

Anyway, so far so good & fingers crossed the 6+hrs consistency continues.  Keep watching, for the next exciting episode of 'Voxman vs the Line 6 G10T' :rockin:rotflmao

 

 

 

Well it's nice that it seems to work better than the old version... at least sometimes. But honestly, this degree of inconsistency puzzles me. Our lives are essentially ruled by rechargeable devices at this point, and I've never had anythihg else exhibit such inconsistent and unpredictable battery life... even phones, tablets, and laptops, which will suck up power at varying rates depending on how they're being used, are more predictable than this wireless unit is... and this thing only has ONE function, ffs. Seems very odd...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

Well it's nice that it seems to work better than the old version... at least sometimes. But honestly, this degree of inconsistency puzzles me. Our lives are essentially ruled by rechargeable devices at this point, and I've never had anythihg else exhibit such inconsistent and unpredictable battery life... even phones, tablets, and laptops, which will suck up power at varying rates depending on how they're being used, are more predictable than this wireless unit is... and this thing only has ONE function, ffs. Seems very odd...

 

I completely agree.  Just to clarify, the replacement IS the old version - it's still the Mk1 G10T not the G10T II  wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...