Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit and Windows 11

Stratman999

I have a Surface Pro X and have been using it with Windows 10 with no issues, I have now upgraded to Windows 11 and now it won't connect, I have deleted and reinstalled HX Edit but still the same. Has anyone else had problems with Windows 11? As I have said it worked fine with Windows 10 so nothing to do the usual with leads, hubs etc. Any help will be appreciated.

I do have other two other Multi FX apart from my Helix and there were no problem with their editors, however Helix is the one I use most and is my main unit

Thanks in advance.

Though retro compatibility is a key feature of Windows platforms... Here the app runs apparently and it only uses a USB protocol, so there is no reason for having issues.

Except if it's the audio system that changed (again) in Windows 11!
I don't have Windows 11 available but I think it's possible the audio-interface system and related security features might be at play here. Can you check the audio related and app/security related settings of Windows see if it didn't, for example, deactivate some features by default?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

You're right I should have checked, I did a search on google, but nothing, so went ahead. I suppose the purpose of this is to see if anyone is using HX edit with Windows 11, but also to alert people  certainly for me it isn't working. Has anyone seen anything from line 6 about Windows 11 compatibility? As I have said I couldn't find any. I know Line 6 and USB issues can be problematic.

1 hour ago, Stratman999 said:

I have now upgraded to Windows 11 and now it won't connect, I have deleted and reinstalled HX Edit but still the same.

Hi,

When you go to the software download page for HX Edit, then to the drop down menu under “All OS”, you will see that there is no mention of Windows 11.

Likewise on the specific HX Edit download page for v.3.11 it states:

Compatible OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10

Oops!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

On 10/24/2021 at 6:46 AM, Stratman999 said:

I have a Surface Pro X and have been using it with Windows 10 with no issues, I have now upgraded to Windows 11 and now it won't connect, I have deleted and reinstalled HX Edit but still the same. Has anyone else had problems with Windows 11? As I have said it worked fine with Windows 10 so nothing to do the usual with leads, hubs etc. Any help will be appreciated.

I do have other two other Multi FX apart from my Helix and there were no problem with their editors, however Helix is the one I use most and is my main unit

Thanks in advance.

I have multiple PCs so I figured I would test HX Edit 3.11 out on one that I upgraded to Windows 11. As @waymda and @datacommando pointed out, HX Edit does not appear to have been certified on Windows 11 yet. Along with the documentation which does not include it, the 'Downloads' section of Line6's website does not list Windows 11 yet, only Windows 10. However, I installed it with zero glitches, created a backup, and did some cursory testing that included creating and editing presets with no problems. It is even working off the USB ports on the front of my PC which are essentially a hub.

You may want to try restarting your Surface and experimenting with some different USB ports. Disconnect any unnecessary peripherals and make sure you don't have a flash drive or SD card inserted.  If that doesn't work then I would thoroughly uninstall the Line 6 software and reinstall. Make sure all checkboxes are checked when you do the install.  If none of that helps you could test the manual Updater as detailed by @SaschaFranckwithout following through to a firmware upgrade to at least see if the Updater can see your Helix. Btw, what version of HX Edit are you installing?

So... although I would never recommend running a piece of software on an OS it has not been certified on, it appears to work perfectly for me. I also can't speak to all of the available hardware/driver/OS permutations out there including your Surface. I will most likely continue to use my Windows 10 PC for my Helix until Line 6 certifies Windows 11 but for those who don't have that option and absolutely feel they must upgrade to Windows 11, or perhaps purchased a new PC/laptop with Windows 11, there may be a good chance that depending on your hardware, drivers, etc., that it will work just fine. I would definitely create a backup or two before and after installing on Win 11, just in case HX Edit is doing something undesirable under the covers to your presets. Unlikely but definitely worth taking precautions against when you are running an app on an OS it has not yet been certified on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

However, I installed it with zero glitches, created a backup, and did some cursory testing that included creating and editing presets with no problems. It is even working off the USB ports on the front of my PC which are essentially a hub.

Nice work there HO.

I guess someone has to be a test pilot for this stuff. I had envisaged this Windows 11 becoming the same sort of issue that Big Sur was for Mac users. I’m a Mac Jockey who became wary of Apple’s continued push to upgrade every year, but I have also seen lots of bad reviews of Windows 11. I think most of the gripes are coming from folks (gamers) using one particular chip that’s is suffering somewhere in the region of 15 to 20% drop in processing speeds.

Thanks for being up for it, sir, well done. Five stars!

• Thanks 1

I have been running W11 on one of my PC's . I"ve been using it since pre-release/Beta.  So far as I can tell it's basically windows 10 with a facelift. I ran HX Edit with no problem. Also duplicated my Reaper/Focusrite/HX Native installs on it . Everything ran fine. Because it is so new, I didn't really tweak the system in the same way I would win10 for optimum audio performance, but I feel like I could have  with no issues. 

Ultimately, however,  I did have a major issue with the computer that forced a reinstall of the OS. It was un-related to any of the software I was running on it to the best of my knowledge. I'm currently back to using my win10 system, but for the couple months I used it, win11 worked fine with the Line6 software and hardware I tried with it. 

• Like 1

I had no trouble with windows 11 and HX Edit - been using it for months through the beta too.  Win11 is just Win10 with some visual updates, still the same underlying operating system.. haven't found a single app that didn't work.  my guess is it's more a driver issue.  try going into device manager, from the menu show hidden devices and delete any of the helix devices that might be gray. those are older versions and ones on different USB ports... clear all the helix devices out, then try connecting it to redetect and setup the helix again in windows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I don't see any real advantage for most people to rush to Windows 11 at this point.  There are some interesting new features, but most would be more useful for someone in a busy workplace using multiple active applications in a variety of different jobs or interacting with multiple co-workers in team video conferences.  There are some more consumer oriented features for gamers as well as those that have some kind of driving need to run Android apps on their PC's, but the android stuff is on a controlled rollout based on the age and capabilities of you PC hardware.  The capability of having pop up widgets is interesting I suppose but I already have that on my phone which is always with me even when I'm at the computer.

I guess my question comes down to this.  What advantage is it to take the risk running a BETA version of an operating system on a PC that you're totally dependent on for certain activities in your life if there aren't features you just can't live without?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came back to check the progress of the Helix driver. 

I have it fully working on my Surface Book 3, but had to change security settings which prevent leaky drivers from compromising windows. 

Does anyone know when Yamaha or Line6 will update/fix the existing driver so we can run without changing this setting?

the setting is in setting called memory integrity under core isolation

for those interested in knowing more search for

Turn off memory integrity protection to continue to update Windows 11/10

Edited by dburrell
Added solution

11 hours ago, dburrell said:

Does anyone know when Yamaha or Line6 will update/fix the existing driver so we can run without changing this setting?

We are not privy to such information. 

You will have much better luck opening a support ticket and asking Line 6 directly. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use my HX Stomp as an audio interface with my laptop. After upgrading to Win 11 I had to switch to Asio 4 All as the win 10 driver no longer shows up. This has happened before when 3.0 came out. I loaded the current driver when it came out. Asio 4 All seems to work, I'm using it at the 96 setting.

20220105_155857 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 

I have a Surface Go 2 updated to windows 11 and HX Edit 3.11 crashes on startup before it's window is visible. It ran on Windows 10 without problems. Also the drivers seem to work. Audio routing to the USB Interface is working, but HX Edit crashes.

I've checked and also "Memory integration protection" was already disabled.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.  

Just found another thread here and my issue didn't seem to be related to the Windows 11 Update .. I also inserted a SD-Card at the same time when I did the upgrade. When removing the SD-Card HX-Edit starts again ...  and the SD-Card can be re-inserted without crashing HX-Edit

Edited by ewutzke
I found the root cause for my problem

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 5:02 AM, ewutzke said:

Hi! 

I have a Surface Go 2 updated to windows 11 and HX Edit 3.11 crashes on startup before it's window is visible. It ran on Windows 10 without problems. Also the drivers seem to work. Audio routing to the USB Interface is working, but HX Edit crashes.

I've checked and also "Memory integration protection" was already disabled.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.  

Just found another thread here and my issue didn't seem to be related to the Windows 11 Update .. I also inserted a SD-Card at the same time when I did the upgrade. When removing the SD-Card HX-Edit starts again ...  and the SD-Card can be re-inserted without crashing HX-Edit

Just wanted to add that I too discovered this SD card issue, after trying to upgrade to HX Edit v3.11, using Win10.  I worked with Josh Line 6 support, via email, to uncover this.

I previously had HX Edit working under Win10 ... and I *thought* I had a laptop SD card assigned to the E: drive at that time.  (C: was the system drive, D: was the backup drive.)

Since then, I had added a drone, which grabbed the E:  & G: drives ... my laptop SD card is now using F:, which I use all the time.  These two drive labels  (E: & G:) are only actively used when the drone is plugged in.  Also, the HX Effects device and the drone are used in a mutually exclusive fashion ... I plug in one or the other (or neither, which is most of the time ...) using the same physical laptop USB interface.

It was after these changes that I tried to update HX Edit software to v3.11 - I'd click on HX Edit ... but no window would ever open!

Removing the laptop SD card (F: drive) allowed the HX Edit SW to launch and run successfully.  I don't like this "fix", but it does work for me.

I wish Line 6 would describe what drive assignment is required ... perhaps I could reassign the Laptop SD card to E:, and then only rarely use the F: & G: drives for the drone or Helix ... ??

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, I have upgraded my computer and re-installed W11 from scratch. I had the same issue, that my Helix LT did not want to connect with Helix Edit.

I found that by mistake I put my USB cable on an USB 3.0 port instead of standard one. When I switched back the USB cable to the USB 2.0 port, it worked well.

In case it could help someone ;-)

• 11 months later...

I guess this thread must be obsolete. I was having the same problem as many mentioned above and today just because, I decided to power on my helix. I got the USB confirmation sound that it saw it, so I opened up HX edit and it sees my Helix. I quickly updated HX Edit and the Helix Firmware and I am golden on Win 11 without doing anything. So at least I'm good now.