Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

new Yamaha Variax and other NAMM news

toasterdude

Whole lotta hype for nothing. Naming their new pedal board after a character in Borderlands is cute though. I can't wait for the Mario XLHD.

Global eq is long time coming though, so that's nice.

$100 for how many more amps?

Remastered JCM? I think they mean "fixed".

Meh, gripes aside, I'll probably fork over a Benjamin for the pack.

Whole lotta hype for nothing. Naming their new pedal board after a character in Borderlands is cute though. I can't wait for the Mario XLHD.

Global eq is long time coming though, so that's nice.

$100 for how many more amps?

At least it has a power switch...lol Saints be praised!

1421864456_335452235_L6_Variax_Standard.

New Variax Standard Guitar Combines Line 6 Innovation and Yamaha
Craftsmanship
Variax Standard gives more guitarists access to celebrated vintage instruments, alternate
tunings, and exceptional quality
ANAHEIM, Calif.—January 22, 2015— Line 6, Inc. (NAMM room 212A) is pleased
to announce the expansion of the Variax® family with the introduction of the Variax
Standard guitar. Variax Standard represents the first major collaboration between Line 6
and Yamaha since the two companies joined forces in January 2014. 

1421864454_1332821624_L6_Variax_Standard
Combining innovative Line 6 technology with legendary Yamaha craftsmanship, Variax Standard
delivers unprecedented value that goes beyond any guitar in its price range.
“Since Yamaha acquired Line 6, we’ve been working closely to develop innovative
gear,†said Marcus Ryle, Chief Strategy Officer at Line 6. “We’re excited to release
Variax Standard, a great-playing yet affordable guitar that enables more musicians to
have the sounds of incredible vintage instruments they’ve always dreamed of. And even
better, Variax Standard can provide the rich, bold tone of a priceless ‘50s instrument with
vintage single-coil pickups—without the hum and buzz that plague these guitars. It’s an
experience you can’t replicate with any traditional vintage or modern guitar.â€
Unlike other guitars in its price range, Variax Standard can sound like an entire collection
of vintage, modern, and exotic instruments, including some of the most coveted electric
and acoustic guitars of the past century. Guitarists can also choose from an array of
alternate tunings with the turn of a knob. Workbench HD software makes it possible to
mix and match components and create any guitar imaginable.
Thanks to the experienced craftsmen at Yamaha, Variax Standard delivers the rock-solid
build expected from a high-quality guitar. The lightweight alder S-type body, one-piece
maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and custom-wound pickups serve up clear, full-
bodied tone with harmonic richness.

Variax Standard also features high-quality components that set it apart from other guitars
in its class—and prevents guitarists from spending extra time and money on upgrades.
The proprietary tremolo bridge delivers total comfort and playability with lots of sustain,
and the lubricated Graph Tech nut provides consistent balance and precise string spacing
to help guitarists stay in tune.
Variax Standard ($1,119.99 MSRP) comes in three finish options—Tobacco Sunburst,
Vintage White and Midnight Black, and will be available in the first quarter of 2015.
Learn more at line6.com/variax-standard/.

1421864457_1157717063_L6_Firehawk.PNG

1421864455_1593354803_L6_POD_HD2.6.PNG

• Upvote 1

IMHO its a repeat of the 2006 Variax 300  -i.e.  a lower cost Variax for wider distribution 

Compared to JTV-69,  Variax Standard  has No Locking Tuners, and a lower cost 6 point vintage Strat Bridge + Two String Trees on headstock will guaranty it will never stay in tune after a tremolo dive.  And the Top Mount Pickguard and route for all electronics makes it lower cost to build 

And Line 6 is now distributed by all Yamaha Dealers in UK/EU - which represents much better distribution than Line6 was capable of before Yamaha acquired Line 6   

http://line6.com/news/pressReleases/1587/

• Upvote 1

IMHO its a repeat of the 2006 Variax 300  -i.e.  a lower cost Variax for wider distribution 

Compared to JTV-69,  Variax Standard  has No Locking Tuners, and a lower cost 6 point vintage Strat Bridge + Two String Trees on headstock will guaranty it will never stay in tune after a tremolo dive.  And the Top Mount Pickguard and route for all electronics makes it lower cost to build 

And Line 6 is now distributed by all Yamaha Dealers in UK/EU - which represents much better distribution than Line6 was capable of before Yamaha acquired Line 6   

http://line6.com/news/pressReleases/1587/

I have to agree, unfortunately. Seems like a step down from the JTVs. Some of the issues are fixable...locking tuners are easily installed, ditch the string trees if ya wanna dive-bomb. Hell, I'd probably just go ahead and replace the neck from the start anyway, assuming that Strat replacements fit...then you can have whatever you want.

Of course I haven't played one, and that's the only real way to tell...but there's nothing that I see here that would make me want to move from the JTV to this. A bit disappointing...not surprising, but disappointing.

I'd be perfectly happy to just buy the guts, and then transplant them into anything that works...Strat or Warmoth body, whatever it'll fit in. Get something with piezos from Graphtech, and Frankenstein yourself a Variax. They can keep the guitar. Or do it as a kit...sell the guts and a bridge. That is something they should consider. I bet there would be plenty of takers.

• Upvote 1

DI said that the Variax Standard is $799 US MAP

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=19319769&postcount=388

Are the JTVs still going to be in production? 

I'm still considering getting a JTV instead. Like I said, I need a maple fretboard. The fretboard is a dealbreaker for me, it's what you play on and feel under the strings. If the Variax Standard isn't going to have that, then I'm not getting it. I'm not going to void my warranty by replacing the neck either.

• Upvote 1

almost identical I believe..

but Variax Standard won't run the old 1.9 firmware, and older

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=19318210&postcount=318

Interesting. I might just get a JTV 69s instead. Only 200 more bucks. I'm 99% sure I'm going to use the HD modeling when I get it but I'm the type of guy who always wants the option to do more even if I might never use it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Yamaha/Line 6.

THIS is the Variax mk 2 I was waiting for. I have a JTV59, but I'm really more a strat guy. I couldn't stand the look of the JTV69, plus the build quality of these Korean guitars was not up to scratch for me.

This new variax is exactly the aesthetic I was looking for, at a good price. Hopefully it will be Japanese manufactured, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe Indonesia or Korea, but I trust Yamaha to have the money to get them made well. Even my $99 fender 3/4 is a really well made instrument.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Yamaha/Line 6.

THIS is the Variax mk 2 I was waiting for. I have a JTV59, but I'm really more a strat guy. I couldn't stand the look of the JTV69, plus the build quality of these Korean guitars was not up to scratch for me.

This new variax is exactly the aesthetic I was looking for, at a good price. Hopefully it will be Japanese manufactured, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe Indonesia or Korea, but I trust Yamaha to have the money to get them made well. Even my $99 fender 3/4 is a really well made instrument.

Looks are one thing, playability another. Some of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen have been uncomfortable to play. Only one way to tell...pictures and spec sheets can't tell you much.

But generally speaking, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect a higher quality instrument at a lower price. The universe usually doesn't work that way.

I understand these difficult tradeoffs that must be made when developing a product. I suspect that the JTV is too high priced to generate the volumes that Line6 needs to sustain it as a viable product. (Just my own suspicion not backed up with any data!)

Agreed...which is why I would love to see them offer just the guts, or perhaps some kind of kit with the guts and a bridge with the piezos, to be installed in anything into which it fits. We know there are guys doing transplants with success, so its certainly feasible. And from a cost perspective, I don't see how it can be anything but a win for L6. Once the development $ has been spent, a few circuit boards, mag pups, and hardware can't possibly cost as much as building the whole axe.

Then there's no sacrificing on instrument quality...if it looks and feels like a toy, I don't want it, and I bet I'm not alone.

Agreed...which is why I would love to see them offer just the guts, or perhaps some kind of kit with the guts and a bridge with the piezos, to be installed in anything into which it fits. We know there are guys doing transplants with success, so its certainly feasible. And from a cost perspective, I don't see how it can be anything but a win for L6. Once the development $ has been spent, a few circuit boards, mag pups, and hardware can't possibly cost as much as building the whole axe.

Then there's no sacrificing on instrument quality...if it looks and feels like a toy, I don't want it, and I bet I'm not alone.

I think, well I know, Line 6 is concerned that if they offered an official transplant kit for just anyone to buy that there would be a good chance that people who don't know what they're doing would buy the kit, mess something up very badly, and then call them either blaming them or expecting them to fix their guitar for them. I think from a support perspective it would be a potential nightmare. I suppose they could try selling the kits with some sort of "no guarantee" label or something, but I don't think that would fly because of consumer protection laws in various countries.

People have literally been asking for kits ever since the Variax was first introduced. It's been over ten years now, and I think Line 6 has let their decision on it be known at this point. They just don't think it's a worthwhile investment.

• Upvote 3

People have literally been asking for kits ever since the Variax was first introduced. It's been over ten years now, and I think Line 6 has let their decision on it be known at this point. They just don't think it's a worthwhile investment.

and yet they are apparently supplying the guts to Shuriken (Twelve Foot Ninja) for their new line of custom guitars...  interesting...

and yet they are apparently supplying the guts to Shuriken (Twelve Foot Ninja) for their new line of custom guitars...  interesting...

I'm not holding me breath...just wishful thinking. And yes, obviously something made it worthwhile is this case... $$ talks, I guess.

Anybody old enough to remember a comapny called Heathkit? (I think they're still around in some form, not sure?) My old man built a friggin' color TV that we had for 20 odd years...if they can manage that for decades and not go out of business from customer complaints about crappy vertical hold, then surely installing Variax parts into another guitar can't be all that difficult.

Well, Digital Igloo did say that they would be willing to work with other luthiers, too. I think in the case of supplying the guts to a company perhaps they feel they can have more accountability over the process.

fair enough... at least its good to see there are actually other options and I am glad the technology is taking root...

Well, Digital Igloo did say that they would be willing to work with other luthiers, too. I think in the case of supplying the guts to a company perhaps they feel they can have more accountability over the process.

I built a Heathkit radio way back when... nice little kits for the DIY hobbyist...

Anybody old enough to remember a comapny called Heathkit? (I think they're still around in some form, not sure?) My old man built a friggin' color TV that we had for 20 odd years...if they can manage that for decades and not go out of business from customer complaints about crappy vertical hold, then surely installing Variax parts into another guitar can't be all that difficult.

Well that was kind of a let down :( !

I'm glad I like my HD 500, L2M, and my DT amps. Looks like I'll be saving some money 'cause none of that is sexy at all!

I remember when the HD and the DT and the JTV's came out, I was like…."WOW! I've got to get this set up!"

This release?….meh 

Firehawk? I get it. This is the direction that a lot of companies are going. My Eventide H9 Max has IOS capability. I'm just not that impressed with that type of stuff. I mean ..Ok, I can edit something on my phone. So what?

Is that a Yamaha Pacifica?  :wacko:  If it is, that ain't world class Yamaha anything. That is their budget line of craptar. I've got a fantastic 1976 Yamaha SG 3000 with fantastic mother of pearl inlay. Now THAT'S world class Yamaha craftsmanship. This looks like a garbage guitar to me.

That's cool though, I can't wait to scoop up all of the JTV's that are going to get blown out!

In one mans never so humble opinion……Boooooo

JTV isn't being discontinued as far as I know.

Rats! I was looking forward to trolling the internets looking for JTV deals. I am so wanting Line 6 to plant a firm foot in the high end quality gear category. This Variax offering falls well short of that. Seems they are more interested in shiny bells and whistles; Cool graphics for your phone editing software and being able to access the "cloud". I get it. 

Shiny is temporary because what is shiny today is dull tomorrow. But quality can last for a really long time!

• Upvote 1

Well, we were going in the right direction in the evolution of the Variax line. From the original Variax, though the Variax 600, up through the James Tyler models, we were progressing. Now, I get the funny feeling the progress has stopped.