Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wanted to buy the new HD Models bundle but had to pay 24$ in taxes

Guitarmaniac64

Ok it seemed so nice 99$ thats alot of cash in my home country almost 1/10 of my months salary since the currency against the $ is really bad anyway i wanted it badly so i thought of buying it but when i checkout they added 24$ in taxes 

No way i gonna pay that..

Good by Line6 thats the last thing i buy from you if you want to be a world wide company atleast make it fair for us who live outside US when we wants to buy a software from you..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the way I understand it.... 

the prices L6 charges are based on American Money, and the American Tax System which charges tax after the sale. As opposed to the EU countries that have the taxes built in to the sales price. 

Had L6 been a retail store in your local country, that $99 would have been $24 higher. Either way, it is the same end price, but there is less 'sticker shock' when you see the final number in your country because it is much closer to the tagged price. 

FYI - $99 is 1/10 of a lot of people's pay. It has nothing to do with the value of the dollar. --- unless you are considered 'well-off' where you are from.

For the most part, the online world uses US dollars as standard currency. When the dollar is high like it is now, things cost more...its simple economics. As for taxes, thats a result of your local government. Line 6 is simply the tax collector.

For the record, I am Canadian.

yes it's the new system I pay 17$ taxes. depends your country

It's new now, if you see the price In USD and You leaving with euro = you pay taxes

if you see the price in euro = you don't pay taxes (because de taxes are included) exept if the price is taxe non include

That's normal and we have to pay everytime we import something from non-EU contries. I hate it but it is like it is.

When I bought the model packs for the POD XT it also was 99$ but I payed the 99$. Now it seems that they have changed that.

That's why I didn't buy the model packs yet It's way too expensive here.  I'm mainly interested in the vintage pack so maybe I'll get that when time comes. But for now I'm fine how it is.

That's normal and we have to pay everytime we import something from non-EU contries. I hate it but it is like it is.

When I bought the model packs for the POD XT it also was 99$ but I payed the 99$. Now it seems that they have changed that.

That's why I didn't buy the model packs yet It's way too expensive here.  I'm mainly interested in the vintage pack so maybe I'll get that when time comes. But for now I'm fine how it is.

Yeah i also payed 99 for the models pack for XT and it was ONLY 99 not any taxes so imagine my suprice now especially since it said NOTHING in the ad about taxes..

But hey i am stupid i am suppose to know those things..

• Upvote 1

Yeah i also payed 99 for the models pack for XT and it was ONLY 99 not any taxes so imagine my suprice now especially since it said NOTHING in the ad about taxes..

Yes, I think that's why many people complain about it.

Hey we are all stupid in a certain way ;-)

Thanks for calling me stupid!!

But never the less it said NOTHING about "we will add 24$ in tax to the 99$ price" that when i click on the BUY button

So who´s to blame 

L6 isn't adding taxes. Your government is adding the taxes. 

That is why you see some people saying they paid less and some people paid more. 

As far as 'not knowing', I think it is a fairly common practice to expect some sort of difference in the final price when shopping in another country. 

Being bought by Yamaha most likely added a physical presence in many countries that didn't exist before. Which would make the collection of that countries taxes a requirement.

Blaming line6 for taxes.....really?

I can see not being happy. I hate taxes! But blame your government. If more people did this perhaps governments would become accountable to the people.

• Upvote 2

Governments around the world have been slowly figuring out how to squeeze the tax dollars out of their citizens. It wasn't that long ago that people would order stuff online to avoid paying sales tax...now thats nearly impossible.

the part that gets me is the nickel and dime approach where they take a little from everything you do so you don't notice that you're paying like 50% actual tax...

when you make it... when you spend it... when you use it... when you dispose of it... when you save it... when you invest it.... etc etc

AND THEN...

they take like 50% of whatever you leave behind when you die.

• Upvote 1

I live in the same state in the US that Line 6 is headquartered in and I paid my states ridiculous sales taxes when I purchased my Vintage model pack. I am a working pro player and use the HD500 as a tool to make my living so for me I have no choice.In fact I just got a new job that will require me to use the HD and IEMs almost every week .My musicians tax law strategy is to work harder and make more money to compensate for what I pay in taxes as a self employed individual in the US. I dont like having to do that as it means doing some gigs I would like to avoid but I am very fortunate to be very busy working in music even though I am getting older. I dont know what musicians tax laws are in other countries except for Ireland.Musicians pay no income taxes there at least thats how it was 20 years ago.

The packs are well worth it taxes or no taxes.

• Upvote 3

Governments around the world have been slowly figuring out how to squeeze the tax dollars out of their citizens. It wasn't that long ago that people would order stuff online to avoid paying sales tax...now thats nearly impossible.

technically, it wasn't tax free. you were responsible for handing over the tax on your own. 

I dont know what musicians tax laws are in other countries except for Ireland.Musicians pay no income taxes there at least thats how it was 20 years ago.

Irish musicians. Not US musicians in Ireland. We still owe the US government no matter where we earn it. 

• Upvote 1

technically, it wasn't tax free. you were responsible for handing over the tax on your own. 

Irish musicians. Not US musicians in Ireland. We still owe the US government no matter where we earn it.

Obviously I meant Irish citizens.Having done many tours of Canada I know all about earning money out of the country as a US citizen but thanks for the clarification I do appreciate it and voted you up Pianoguy!

hhhhmmmmmm. I bought the model packs from Line 6, paid 99 bucks and no taxes. I buy drum expansion packs from Toontrack, pay 89 bucks, pay their taxes and paid for the purchase from my bank.... go figure..... Toontrack doesnt have anything on their website about taxes...... am I upset? nah, it's just the way things are sometimes when you purchas something from another country......

I live in the same state in the US that Line 6 is headquartered in and I paid my states ridiculous sales taxes when I purchased my Vintage model pack. I am a working pro player and use the HD500 as a tool to make my living so for me I have no choice.In fact I just got a new job that will require me to use the HD and IEMs almost every week .My musicians tax law strategy is to work harder and make more money to compensate for what I pay in taxes as a self employed individual in the US. I dont like having to do that as it means doing some gigs I would like to avoid but I am very fortunate to be very busy working in music even though I am getting older. I dont know what musicians tax laws are in other countries except for Ireland.Musicians pay no income taxes there at least thats how it was 20 years ago.

The packs are well worth it taxes or no taxes.

Well i bought the Pod HD Desktop new for 228,42$ and to get the model packs i have to pay 123$ thats 50% of the price for the hardware unit..

If i compare that to XT which i bought for 480$ and had to pay only 99$ for the model packs and also 49$ to get Pod Farm both of those without having to pay taxes..

Anyway still dont like that Line 6 doesnt say + taxes for foreign customers in their ads  

but it is not taxes for foreign customers. 

it is taxes for whoever taxes apply. 

You've got local taxes and state taxes and country taxes. Sales tax. Tariffs. Internet fees. 

blame it on your particular government, not L6. 

and it is not like L6 gets to keep the money. that money gets collected by them, but then given to your government every 30 days. 

This is why elections are important. That is why government services should stop. This is why some people get upset when they see people voting for more government, because they know that this stuff isn't free. 

weird, just checked my receipt..I am in the US and was not charged any taxes...it was a flat $99

sales taxes in the USA are typically state, or sometimes local, instead of country/federal/national. 

As I noted a few posts above... 

If you have a sales tax on other items you buy - such as at the mall or grocery store - then you, legally, are responsible for paying the sales tax yourself. 

I can't tell you the last time an individual was arrested for not reporting sales tax on a catalog/online purchase. But with technology (and government rules on banking) making it easier to check on your purchase history, I can see it starting to happen. Some states been asking on your year-end filing if you made any purchases that were untaxed. 

HERE'S A LITTLE SIDE NOTE FOR YOU: 

How did they bring down Al Capone? It wasn't for murder and racketeering. It was taxes. 

If you made an untaxed purchase, and they ask you if you made any -- if you said no, not only are you a tax cheat, the bigger risk is going to be perjury. A $100 purchase, resulting in $24 in taxes, I can't see a jury sending you to jail for 15 years over $24. But, you lied on a government form. You, under oath (by signing your name at the bottom), committed perjury when you said you did not make any purchases. THAT is much easier to send someone to jail for than an unpaid $24 sales tax. 

Ya know, I realize that not everyone is in the same financial boat as I am. 

But I suggest that everyone do a couple things: 

1. Take a basic tax accounting course. Just to learn what is and is not.  

2. Pay an accountant to do your taxes. not a housewife at H&R Block. An actual accountant. 

3. Take your head out of your lollipop when it comes to government. We only become paranoid after we become informed. 

sales taxes in the USA are typically state, or sometimes local, instead of country/federal/national. 

As I noted a few posts above... 

If you have a sales tax on other items you buy - such as at the mall or grocery store - then you, legally, are responsible for paying the sales tax yourself. 

I can't tell you the last time an individual was arrested for not reporting sales tax on a catalog/online purchase. But with technology (and government rules on banking) making it easier to check on your purchase history, I can see it starting to happen. Some states been asking on your year-end filing if you made any purchases that were untaxed. 

HERE'S A LITTLE SIDE NOTE FOR YOU: 

How did they bring down Al Capone? It wasn't for murder and racketeering. It was taxes. 

If you made an untaxed purchase, and they ask you if you made any -- if you said no, not only are you a tax cheat, the bigger risk is going to be perjury. A $100 purchase, resulting in $24 in taxes, I can't see a jury sending you to jail for 15 years over $24. But, you lied on a government form. You, under oath (by signing your name at the bottom), committed perjury when you said you did not make any purchases. THAT is much easier to send someone to jail for than an unpaid $24 sales tax. 

Ya know, I realize that not everyone is in the same financial boat as I am. 

But I suggest that everyone do a couple things: 

1. Take a basic tax accounting course. Just to learn what is and is not.  

2. Pay an accountant to do your taxes. not a housewife at H&R Block. An actual accountant. 

3. Take your head out of your lollipop when it comes to government. We only become paranoid after we become informed. 

thats simply ridiculous...amazon charges sales tax for online purchases, walmart charges sales tax online... it is not the purchaser's responsibility to pay sales tax, the retailer is suppose to collect it.

Al capone was busted for fed income tax evasion... sales tax has never been the consumers responsibility

Sales tax is ultimately the consumer's responsibility.  Online retailers are getting better at collecting it but you can get nailed for not paying sales tax.  It happens to businesses that buy their equipment on line all the time.  They have to be careful to pay sales tax and keep good records.  They don't usually go after consumers because it's just too hard to do it. 

For instance, every time you pay cash to a friend or acquaintance to buy a used item (or through your local kijjijji or craigslist or whatever....) you are technically responsible for submitting the associated sales tax to the authorities. Are you likely to be apprehended and charged with tax fraud? No - but the point is that you are technically required to do so.

EDIT: One of the most common tax evasions occurs with private sales of used cars. Transfer of ownership at the Dept of Motor Vehicles requires a receipt and associated sales tax is payable on the value of the receipt. It is common practice for the seller to issue the receipt with a much lower purchase price than was actually charged. In return, a slightly higher sale price is agreed to by the buyer.

thats simply ridiculous...amazon charges sales tax for online purchases, walmart charges sales tax online... it is not the purchaser's responsibility to pay sales tax, the retailer is suppose to collect it.

Al capone was busted for fed income tax evasion... sales tax has never been the consumers responsibility

Sorry, but you are mistaken.  There's nothing ridiculous about it. A company is only required to collect sales tax for an online purchase if said company has a physical location in the state where the customer resides, because then they (the company) is operating a business within that state and is therfore obligated to collect the tax. If you live elsewhere however, you will not be charged sales tax.  Amazon and Walmart are poor examples, as they have physical locations just about everywhere at this point...that's why they collect tax from you.

Try it for yourself...make a purchase from a small out of state company. You're not gonna pay tax on it.

CA residents who bought the model packs paid sales tax. If you live in one of the other 49 states, you didn't. No other state has jurisdiction over Line 6, as they are not based there...but if you live in Ohio for example, the state does have jurisdiction over you, and then sales tax becomes your problem, not Line 6's. As with everything else, specific rules and reporting requirments change every time you cross a state line. Some states have no sales tax at all. I have no idea what one does or doesn't have to report in Ohio, I just used it as an example.

As a UK resident I wouldn't normally have a clue about this, except that my day job is working for a Retail Systems company and I have worked on modelling Sales Tax rules for worldwide implementations quite a bit.

Technically crusinon2 is quite correct except that in many states the Sales Tax that you would have paid when you bought from an out of state retailer is defined as Use Tax and it is normally but not always due at the same rate to your local Tax Authority (State, City, etc) charged on the date of the transaction as part of your Tax return. Sales Tax is only enforced as collectable by an online retailer if the have Nexus in your local Tax Authority which is usually when they have a physical presence (Store, Distribution Centre or Office).

The fact that most people don't bother is why there is a lot of pressure in the US at the moment for at least the largest online retailers to charge local Sales Tax due at the point of delivery because it is an unfair playing field where your local retailers have to charge not just what would be normally due, but instead an increased rate to make up for all the income that is lost because people aren't following the Use Tax rules.

What Line 6 has done is absolutely correct from a Tax perspective, but it is unfortunate that they didn't make it clear anywhere in the purchase process before payment that your Local Sales tax would be added to the $99 which is why most non-US buyers have got upset.

I did wonder what would have happened if I had declared my address as being Alaska, Montana, New Hampshire, Delaware or Oregon because those States don't have Sales tax and therefore I would have paid 0%... but my Credit Card is a UK one and I am not sure that the transaction would have gone through.

• Upvote 1

. As with everything else, specific rules and reporting requirments change every time you cross a state line. Some states have no sales tax at all. 

Yes. And just to add to that fact - in response to what another said: 

I live in a state where Craigslist purchases aren't taxed because they are individuals selling used(already taxed) items. Businesses, however, do still collect taxes on CL sales. 

BUT, if you are a unit flipper (posting an item for sale less than 10 business days after you bought it, regardless of if it sells within those ten days), they consider you a business and therefore must file/collect taxes like any other business would. 

And as to the car cheats: my state bases taxes on blue book value. Regardless of what you pay. This includes family and estate transfers that honestly involve no money. 

So, yes, anytime you cross a border (including local borders), rules change. 

It should not have come as a  surprise that they had to pay the taxes based on their country. 

Some countries don't have a separate tax for sales. OR, they technically do but don't, because they build it into the sales price instead of tacking it on at the end. 

I think a better statement would be --- anyone buying something from another country should not be surprised that there are some sort of increase in price at the end. 

I live in a state where Craigslist purchases aren't taxed because they are individuals selling used(already taxed) items. ....

So what about used car sales? Are they taxed at the time of ownership transfer? I know it's not really relevant to the topic - but just curious.

Used car sales by individuals do not have a sales tax. But there are other taxes/fees involved that aren't called "sales tax" but for the sake of discussion you could consider it a sales tax. 

As I said in the post, the big tax/fee is based on blue book value regardless of the amount you paid for, and then there are other miscellaneous gov't add-ons that are flat fees. 

Thanks for the info. Used car sales by individuals are taxed in my province (Ontario, Canada - we have provinces, not states). So it's pretty clear that tax policies vary from region to region within countries, let alone across international borders. And it's not something Line 6 has anything to do with.