Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting a Case/Bag for Helix LT, looking for opinions

spearmint95

Hello friends! I've looked all over the internet at different threads and posts and whatnot about what people store their helix in when they take it out and about and I've narrowed it down to these bad boys right here!! I don't really gig or anything, I just wanna take it to friends' houses.

Road Case - Seems kind of heavy...

https://www.roadcasesusa.com/effect-pedal-case-id-28x14x6-3-8-ply-factory-closeout/

PedalBoard Tour thingy - I heard it's too big for the normal Helix and can't stay upright

https://monocreators.com/pedalboard-tour-case/

Another Hard one 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_case_line6_helix_lt.htm

And of course the Helix Backpack by Line 6!

Opinions? Suggestions? Something better that I didn't list? I don't really know what to go with...Thanks!

For basic transport to friends places, there are several inexpensive padded bags for Mixers and Keyboards, from BOSS and Gator that fit the Helix.

I've got my Helix in the Backpack. The Helix Backpack is outstanding!

I have the thomman case. Sturdy, light and perfect for the helix.

I was looking for something that was both sturdy and light! The unit probably wouldn't be dented or scratched but does it seem like it could help deal with the shock from a drop?

For basic transport to friends places, there are several inexpensive padded bags for Mixers and Keyboards, from BOSS and Gator that fit the Helix.

I've got my Helix in the Backpack. The Helix Backpack is outstanding!

Thanks for the info!! And I keep hearing a lot of praise about the Helix backpack, I might just give in. What do you feel about it justifies the price of it over a gator or hard case?

I went with the Gator G-MULTIFX-2411. Fits perfectly, shoulder strap feels solid enough. Wouldn't tour with it but it's great for taking it to my friends' place (or tomorrow, to the Boston meetup!). For the price ($60) it's pretty great.

That's exactly what I had in mind, just taking it to friends' places and meetups! Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

Do you use this one with an LT?

I was looking for something that was both sturdy and light! The unit probably wouldn't be dented or scratched but does it seem like it could help deal with the shock from a drop?

Thanks for the info!! And I keep hearing a lot of praise about the Helix backpack, I might just give in. What do you feel about it justifies the price of it over a gator or hard case?

That's exactly what I had in mind, just taking it to friends' places and meetups! Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

Do you use this one with an LT?

From 1 meter drop that happened to me, helix was intact. Also i have travel with boat and us with this case, nothing happened.

Not a gigging pro any more, just going to friends, meetups, etc, my gear in my car, and I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELQ2IQ/

It's fine for what it is, but not super padded. Definitely not for the back of a truck or checked baggage, and I wouldn't bet on it protecting against a serious drop on a hard surface. Helix might be fine, but that'd be on Helix, not the bag.

I would highly recommend the roadcasesusa option if you use any other pedals or peripherals attached to the Helix, i.e., if you want a case that doubles as a pedalboard. It has options for handles and rollers and is designed so that, with the lid off, the lip of the bottom portion is low so you can use it as your pedalboard without taking anything out of it. However, that being said, it sounds like your use may be much different, and a lot of these advantages may not apply to you.

I've also used the Gator bag someone mentioned above. It is really good as far as soft cases go. I just know myself well enough to realize that, if I use a soft case long enough, I will eventually knock of a couple knobs off due to my own carelessness. But it does have good padding and quality zippers; I don't want to sound like I am putting it down at all as a soft case.

From 1 meter drop that happened to me, helix was intact. Also i have travel with boat and us with this case, nothing happened.

Good to know, thanks!!! My only other concern is that if I play it from the case, would the vent at the bottom (at least I think there's one there) be blocked? Any problems with heat?

Not a gigging pro any more, just going to friends, meetups, etc, my gear in my car, and I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELQ2IQ/

It's fine for what it is, but not super padded. Definitely not for the back of a truck or checked baggage, and I wouldn't bet on it protecting against a serious drop on a hard surface. Helix might be fine, but that'd be on Helix, not the bag.

Thanks for the suggestion, seems very affordable!

Yes I do. It fits perfectly, with a little space for cables and accessories, and has 2 stripes of velcro to fix it on the bottom part. I' ll put some photos.

Thanks for going the extra mile with the pictures!! And my final question is you don't have any problem with the helix getting hot in there at all, right? I believe the vents are at the bottom?

I would highly recommend the roadcasesusa option if you use any other pedals or peripherals attached to the Helix, i.e., if you want a case that doubles as a pedalboard. It has options for handles and rollers and is designed so that, with the lid off, the lip of the bottom portion is low so you can use it as your pedalboard without taking anything out of it. However, that being said, it sounds like your use may be much different, and a lot of these advantages may not apply to you.

I've also used the Gator bag someone mentioned above. It is really good as far as soft cases go. I just know myself well enough to realize that, if I use a soft case long enough, I will eventually knock of a couple knobs off due to my own carelessness. But it does have good padding and quality zippers; I don't want to sound like I am putting it down at all as a soft case.

The roadcaseusa ones seemed very very nice, just heavy. But like you said, I care about protection a lot but if I just take it around in a soft case all the time something's bound to happen to a knob or something! Thanks for sharing your experience!

I particularly like the Helix Backpack's:

1) Thick protective padding for all compartments.

2) It stands vertically on four large stable and durable rubber feet with the Helix inserted in the main compartment and gear in the lower front compartment.

3) The two exterior compartments with two internal small net pockets (zippered) and large nylon zippered pocket provide plenty of additional storage for gear, accesories, and more: cables, power strip, IEMs, Headphones, Laptop/Tablet, paperwork, etc.

4) The Top and Side Handles are rugged and make it really easy to grasp and carry (vertically or horizontally). I have yet to use the shoulder straps.

5) Several velcro straps are included for securing gear.

6) Should the main Helix compartment's perimeter padding needed to be replaced, there's zipper access to easily do so.

7) It is lightweight when empty, yet very capable of hauling the Helix and a lots of extra heavy gear.

8) Overall quality workmanship, high grade construction, heavy duty zippers.

Another vote for the backpack. I wouldn't tour with it, but for local use it works very well for all the reasons eloquently stated above.

I particularly like the Helix Backpack's:

1) Thick protective padding for all compartments.

2) It stands vertically on four large stable and durable rubber feet with the Helix inserted in the main compartment and gear in the lower front compartment.

3) The two exterior compartments with two internal small net pockets (zippered) and large nylon zippered pocket provide plenty of additional storage for gear, accesories, and more: cables, power strip, IEMs, Headphones, Laptop/Tablet, paperwork, etc.

4) The Top and Side Handles are rugged and make it really easy to grasp and carry (vertically or horizontally). I have yet to use the shoulder straps.

5) Several velcro straps are included for securing gear.

6) Should the main Helix compartment's perimeter padding needed to be replaced, there's zipper access to easily do so.

7) It is lightweight when empty, yet very capable of hauling the Helix and a lots of extra heavy gear.

8) Overall quality workmanship, high grade construction, heavy duty zippers.

I'm sold!!! Thanks doods!

• 11 months later...

I just got my Helix LT, so I took a flyer on this case for $40 shipped:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/road-runner-pedal-board-all-in-1-gig-bag/502055000001000?source=3TEM5KTBK

It's a padded cordura bag, but that's all most of us need anymore (gone are the days of ball corners and butterfly latches, at least for me :)). It's snug at first, but the LT fits without any of the encoders being mashed, and it's rugged. Considering what L6 is charging for a bag, I HIGHLY recommend it. 

I use a backpack for my LT on gigs, it does well. I'd suggest paying close attention to Spearmint95's #2 above when removing/inserting the unit, since the side zippers only go so far it makes it easier to get in & out while standing. Actually just learned this tonight on a gig. 

I use a hard case from an eBay seller.  Fits great with a little room for cables or even a pedal if they are small.

It's a hard case but lightweight.  It's not for throwing the unit into a truck by roadies, but it is more than sufficient for

general carrying and rough situations.  It's under $50US.

https://www.ebay.com/p/CNB-PDC-410f-SSL-Pedal-Case-Pedalboard-Locking-Pedal-Board/7011384213

https://www.amazon.com/PDC-410F-Locking-Aluminum-Pedal-Large/dp/B000BWE56W

• 2 years later...

I got a used Diago Showman off eBay, my LT fits nicely with room for my Polytune , leads and room for a couple of other pedals if needed , the one thing is you will need is right angled jacks to clear the back of the case, my AES/ABU cable fits fine and it keeps everything tidy at home and when we go to rehearsal etc

on topic i think, I just bought a "Gator Cases G-MULTIFX-2411 24-inch x 11-inch Effects Pedal Bag" from amazon for like $70 canadian, less in the USA no doubt.  it fits my LT nearly perfectly.  about 2 inches on the side.  cheap, nice quality.  totaly think it was the best deal for a helix lt (or helix regular I think) bag.