Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitches?

mdmayfield

Helix Native is looking and sounding good!

After importing presets, I wanted to know if there is any easy way to reproduce the FS functionality from the hardware Helix. I'm using Native as a way to tweak my patches (to be used live later) using a dry guitar signal within a rehearsal multitrack mix, and often, I use several footswitches, each of which controls several parameters and bypasses.

So far, I'm not seeing anything in the Helix Native UI that seems to correspond to the footswitches as programmed within the hardware Helix presets. Is that not currently part of Helix Native functionality, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Posters above are incorrect. Native supports parameter automation right out of the box today. It's trivial to setup a foot controller in a DAW/Host that supports MIDI automation. Helix Native supports 16 MIDI automation switches and if your host is setup correctly will work with program change commands also. Setup is DAW dependent because Native is not stand alone.

See Page 29 of the Helix Native Manual for detailed info.

I don't know how the hardware Helix behaves wrt MIDI (I don't use/own a Helix hardware unit I just have Native) but it works great with a generic MIDI floorboard connected to your audio interface.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posters above are incorrect. Native supports parameter automation right out of the box today. It's trivial to setup a foot controller in a DAW/Host that supports MIDI automation. Helix Native supports 16 MIDI automation switches and if your host is setup correctly will work with program change commands also. Setup is DAW dependent because Native is not stand alone.

I don't know how the hardware Helix behaves wrt MIDI (I don't use/own a Helix hardware unit I just have Native) but it works great with a generic MIDI floorboard connected to your audio interface.

You were able to successfully get program change commands working in a Daw? 

• 2 months later...

Helix Native doesn't do "patch changes" via program change commands (at least to my knowledge). But, as @kdog sez above, you can assign a controller knob (variable) or switch (toggle) to any of the Helix block parameters, and then control those via DAW automation (depends on your DAW, I reckon, but it works great in Logic Pro).

Usually if you are using completely different Helix presets for different guitar tracks, you would use separate instances of Helix Native.

You could always do something crazy like create dual paths in a single preset, with each path having a different amp, cab, and fx chain, and then automate a split to toggle between them. That would be crazy, though, and may cause twitching or hives.

Also, Helix Snapshots are not yet supported in Helix Native but are expected in a future update. That will be nice.

read this fellows thread, also, about using a SoftStep controller to edit Native: http://line6.com/support/topic/29975-helix-native-–-editing-with-a-foot-controller/

You can buy used SoftStep pedals for cheap, and they are effective.

I'm pretty disappointed that the Native plugin can't be controlled externally by a foot controller. Personally, I'd find that very useful. I didn't even think to look that up before I bought it - - stupid me. I hope they get it working soon or I might regret buying the plugin, because I honestly didn't 'need' it. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not able to create an automatization of a Wah pedal on Pro Tools 12.4, do you know how to do it?

although the manual say that it is possible, It doesn't show any example for how to do It

within Helix Native (pull down menu near bottom right) assign a controller knob (variable) or switch (toggle) to any of the Helix block parameters, and then control those via DAW automation (depends on your DAW, so however you assign automation controls in Pro Tools).

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
I got an email from Nektartech after inquiring as to whether or not their Pacer foot controller would work with H Native. He said it is very odd that HN doesn't respond to program change messages and the only CC that responds is CC69 with values of 0-7 that allows the selection of Snapshots. It has a menu for assigning MIDI CCs to parameters but it won't let you actually choose any of the CCs which the Hellx hardware uses to bypass blocks.

That's very very very very limiting. It's apparent to me that Line 6 wants to maintain its Helix hardware market. Us HN users probably won't have good control function for Native until L6 puts one out, maybe one that they can make proprietary.

This product has been out a long time. I'd say, given the response from Nektartech, get used to waiting or forget about it.

HXN was created and is marketed as a DAW recording plugin — not a host-based, MIDI-controlled effects "pedal." I understand those wanting to push it in that direction, but not sure if it will evolve to support that application. We shall see...

14 hours ago, soundog said:

HXN was created and is marketed as a DAW recording plugin — not a host-based, MIDI-controlled effects "pedal." I understand those wanting to push it in that direction, but not sure if it will evolve to support that application. We shall see...

That's a real interesting point. Maybe a fair one. I have the Guitar Rig plugin in my DAW and it has extensive MIDI capabilities for hardware 3rd party controller/footswitches. I looked at the way Line 6 defines HXN and it is, indeed, in fairly strict terms - paraphrasing, e.g., a tool for taking your software creations to your hardware.

I would pay $$ for a MIDI competence upgrade to Native that's comparable to the ancient and humble Guitar Rig.

Edited by Tabjaker
clarification

more example Line 6 marketing verbiage: "With the release of Helix Native, Line 6 is bringing all their top-tier HX modeling power and amazingly intuitive workflow to your DAW of choice." HXN works amazingly well for its intended use. Select a preset for a guitar track and rock out. If you need more time-based control within a track, the snapshot and parameter control delivers in spades. And it keeps getting upgraded along with the Helix so its not just another "release it and forget it" plug-in.

If you intend to use HXN as some sort of switch-controllable software for performance (creating a low-cost Helix), you may face hurdles. It might work, it might not. I would suggest you experiment with the demo before buying to avoid disappointment.

"If you intend to use HXN as some sort of switch-controllable software for performance (creating a low-cost Helix), you may face hurdles. It might work, it might not. I would suggest you experiment with the demo before buying to avoid disappointment."

Doesn't Helix have Analog to digital i/o, a big interactive screen and a massive array of buttons to correspond to the software? I have no desire for that whatsoever.

I just want midi implementation to control parameters with a controller, comparable to the Behringer FCB1010 and Guitar Rig.

" I would suggest you experiment with the demo before buying to avoid disappointment."

Yeah, thanks. I'm checking out the Pacer for a number of different applications.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Helix rack and controller and Helix native. Im hopin at some point in a future firmware update there is a way to utilize the Helix hardware foot controller in native,it has a USB on the controller for something. Or would it be possible to use a ground control pro now to bypass and switch presets and snapshots?

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 7:32 PM, Tabjaker said:

"If you intend to use HXN as some sort of switch-controllable software for performance (creating a low-cost Helix), you may face hurdles. It might work, it might not. I would suggest you experiment with the demo before buying to avoid disappointment."

Doesn't Helix have Analog to digital i/o, a big interactive screen and a massive array of buttons to correspond to the software? I have no desire for that whatsoever.

I just want midi implementation to control parameters with a controller, comparable to the Behringer FCB1010 and Guitar Rig.

" I would suggest you experiment with the demo before buying to avoid disappointment."

Yeah, thanks. I'm checking out the Pacer for a number of different applications.

Hello - i got the Pacer and its a great controller, although the limitations of HXN are making it difficult to easily map pedal bypasses to midi controllers in pacer. have you had any luck?

5 hours ago, balcazar said:

Hello - i got the Pacer and its a great controller, although the limitations of HXN are making it difficult to easily map pedal bypasses to midi controllers in pacer. have you had any luck?

What limitations? What are you trying to do?

• 4 weeks later...

...you could put a midi translator (software or hardware) in between your controller and your DAW if you need to add, subtract, or translate MIDI CC info. Bome, MJDJ MIDI Morph, MIDI Solutions, etc are possibilities to look into.

• Thanks 1

Just pick up a rig kontrol 3 interface/foot controller - studio one 3 and you will be in helix native heaven - its a perfect marriage - easy to setup midi and you can even turn your lights on your pedal board with studio one 3 - pretty cool stuff - look around on ebay and Reverb - I just bought a second one just to have a backup

This is on a PC by the way - no idea how well it works on a mac but would assume it would work fine - its made to work on both

On 12/7/2018 at 12:36 PM, thebassman80 said:

Thanks Zolko60 - Do you know of any ideascale topic that adresses this?

No. I haven't found it. But overriding only this (Mainstage does) in not enough. HxN does not transmit any midi outside so, even if you have omnipotent MIDI controler with 100 switches an 7 pedals, when you change a patch (preset) or snapshot your switches initial state will not change.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, mdmayfield said:

So far, I'm not seeing anything in the Helix Native UI that seems to correspond to the footswitches as programmed within the hardware Helix presets. Is that not currently part of Helix Native functionality, or am I missing something obvious?

I'm able to setup Helix Native to reflect how I want my hardware footswitches to react. 

I just assign the patch to the program number I use on the Footswitch. 

And when I copy my Hardware over to Native - the patches are assigned as they 

are on the hardware.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you here?

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2017 at 12:47 AM, mdmayfield said:

After importing presets, I wanted to know if there is any easy way to reproduce the FS functionality from the hardware Helix. I'm using Native as a way to tweak my patches (to be used live later) using a dry guitar signal within a rehearsal multitrack mix, and often, I use several footswitches, each of which controls several parameters and bypasses.

Thanks,

Matt

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem.

I run Helix Floor live and would like to use Native for both editing my presets for live playing and for rehearsal at home.

So far I have managed to display the foot switch assignments in Native but it seems its neither possible to edit them, trigger them manually via the UI nor re-assign them to the DAW switches.

That would be such an important feature, otherwise importing the presets is sort of useless for me 'cause I got some crazy settings going on with the foot switches changing several parameters of several blocks.

Does anyone have an idea or solution?