dreamtheater39

Connecting Helix LT to laptop wirelessly

I'd like to know if there's someway to connect my helix lt to my pc wirelessly? The usb cable is becoming a pain to deal with....I was wondering if there were any hardware solutions to extend usb wirelessly?

Cheers

No, there’s not. Wireless USB is something people have been talking about forever, but I don’t think there’s anything doing it consistently well.

You could try a longer USB cable, although I probably wouldn’t go longer than 10 feet.

I wonder if latency would be an issue going wireless to a PC?

Alright that sucks. My current workaround....leave my surface tab close to the helix, screen mirror to my television....and use a wireless keyboard with touchpad.

4 hours ago, dreamtheater39 said:

Alright that sucks. My current workaround....leave my surface tab close to the helix, screen mirror to my television....and use a wireless keyboard with touchpad.

And THIS is why the world needs engineers....

They could (and IMO should) have added some wireless control options to the entire Helix family. Along with some (possibly feature reduced) editor for mobile platforms. Bluetooth would likely be sufficient for any control duties. And yes, it's been well established in 2015 already, hence I think it's a massive oversight. And one of the reasons I almost went with a GT-1000.

I've been using this 25' USB w/repeater flawlessly.  NOTE: though I have not had a single issue I still only use this for normal use and connect the normal cable for updates.  By the way, I got this because a normal 25' USB cable would not work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFRKYSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ß

4 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

They could (and IMO should) have added some wireless control options to the entire Helix family. Along with some (possibly feature reduced) editor for mobile platforms. Bluetooth would likely be sufficient for any control duties. And yes, it's been well established in 2015 already, hence I think it's a massive oversight. And one of the reasons I almost went with a GT-1000.

This has been discussed here over and over.

I'm still happy that Helix is such a professional gear that only has stable and reliant connections.

Otherwise I had sold it ;-)

3 minutes ago, klangmaler said:

ß

This has been discussed here over and over.

I'm still happy that Helix is such a professional gear that only has stable and reliant connections.

Otherwise I had sold it ;-)

A) Nobody wants to replace the stable connection options of the Helix.

B) Both Wifi and Bluetooth are used in a lot of professional products.

And fwiw, there's quite some reports about problematic USB ports (the little plastic thingy inside being broken). So much about a stable connection.

Couple thoughts -

GT1000 - though there's bluetooth connectivity - it's limited to just modifying patch settings/signal chains. There's no audio interface through bluetooth - am i right? So this is pointless!

The only issue with the USB cable is - my PC needs to be somewhere close to my helix (or a really long ugly cable running across my room - not a great idea!) and that's not close to where my desktop sits!

Here's my version 2 of this workaround setup -

- My 10" surface 3 connects to my Helix, sitting right above the helix!

- Turned on "Projecting to this PC" on my desktop which has a larger screen/keyboard mouse

- Use "Connect to wireless display" from my surface 3 to connect to my desktop

- EDIT: Found Splashtop Personal remote desktop solution to be far more reliable and faster

- Added a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter to my Helix headphones out jack (using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor). Connected my Bose QC35 II over bluetooth

- My guitar connects using a line 6 g10

This way i can use my desktop to do patch edits on a larger screen wirelessly...i can also use my DAW on my desktop - with the audio routing to my wireless bluetooth headphones directly from the helix with almost no audio lag!

Not the cleanest setup - but works!

3 hours ago, dreamtheater39 said:

with the audio routing to my wireless bluetooth headphones directly from the helix with almost no audio lag!

Uhm. I haven't seen (or heard, or played through) a single BT device that would not introduce horrible latency for any kind of realtime tasks. Which headphones are you using?

50 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Using the sony 1000 xm3. I guess you need to use a BT transmitter and headphones that support aptX - that's the codec which supports low latency! I initially tried the Bose headphones - but the xm3s definitely are a hair better both in latency and audio fidelity

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=7&aptx_type=3

32 minutes ago, dreamtheater39 said:

Using the sony 1000 xm3. I guess you need to use a BT transmitter and headphones that support aptX - that's the codec which supports low latency! I initially tried the Bose headphones - but the xm3s definitely are a hair better both in latency and audio fidelity

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=7&aptx_type=3

Hm, wikipedia still states something like 32ms of latency when using aptX via BT. Which is great for BT but still completely useless for realtime playing.

Yep - will never matched wired for sure....but good enough for some casual jam sessions/patch editing etc.

Regarding wireless audio, the AptX codec increases quality, but you need a specific variant - "AptX LL" for low latency, so be sure your transmitter and receiver are both AptX LL. And as mentioned above, it's still ~30ms latency, which is just enough to bother my ears a bit.

A possible cheapo option is using a guitar wireless transmitter/receiver as a wireless IEM. It's mono and clunky, but works pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTZNY5Ta-o

• Like 1