Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I used the Helix today!

drew_tnbd

I've used the Helix. Not a line6 employee... not a marketing... anything...

i was expressly answering the part about the computer interface which is why i trimmed the quote.

was not addressing his first impression in any manner... that will speak for itself.

Oh my apologies, I saw the sig next to your name, and I assumed you worked for Line 6.

I see now, that there is a difference between Line 6 Expert, and Line 6 Staff.

I've used the looper, pretty close to the hd500 looper.

i think the wah sounds are improved. part of that could be the physical sweep of the pedal itself, the pedal construction is alot different than previous L6 stuff... and it seems to make it easier to control for me.

Has anyone used the Looper or seen videos posted on the Looper?  Has anyone used the Wah sounds?

• Upvote 2

I wish line 6 had more vids ot clips of examples of the amps and cabs. The effects and flexability have been covered over and over and are outstanding but I am still leary on the main thing the helix should be strongest in and that is the individual amps and cabs-somewhat dry maybe with a touch of reverb would be a great demo. thank you

• Upvote 1

I wish line 6 had more vids ot clips of examples of the amps and cabs. The effects and flexability have been covered over and over and are outstanding but I am still leary on the main thing the helix should be strongest in and that is the individual amps and cabs-somewhat dry maybe with a touch of reverb would be a great demo. thank you

Ditto here - if you simply pull up an amp and it's related cabinet, and twiddle a few tone knobs, does it sound good?

(Probably start some crap here....)  I've basically given up on the HD, way too much screwing around to get it to sound good.  Never had the issue with earlier PODs, or any of the other simulators I own.  Yeah, over on the HD page people will cheerfully tell you "Well, I just put this EQ in front, and this one after, oh and throw the Mid Focus at the very end....".  Which is all well and good - but I've owned or used most of the actual amps involved, and have never had to do that.  Just plug in, tweak the gain and tone, and off we go.  That's WHY I go to those particular amps.

So for me, that's gonna be the deciding factor.  When I can get my hands on one I'm gonna shut all FX down and start pulling up amps/cabs only.  If they sound good without having to throw EQ's and such in on top of them, then I'll probably buy in.  If I gotta starting tweaking stuff just to make it sound like that amp... well, I've already got rooms fulla stuff, may as well stick with them.

I WANT the Helix to be the end-all be-all - as noted above it certainly has the flexibilty and connectivity to be my flagship.  But it I have to lollipop around just to get the basic sound right.... naw.

• Upvote 1

Ditto here - if you simply pull up an amp and it's related cabinet, and twiddle a few tone knobs, does it sound good?

(Probably start some crap here....) I've basically given up on the HD, way too much screwing around to get it to sound good. Never had the issue with earlier PODs, or any of the other simulators I own. Yeah, over on the HD page people will cheerfully tell you "Well, I just put this EQ in front, and this one after, oh and throw the Mid Focus at the very end....". Which is all well and good - but I've owned or used most of the actual amps involved, and have never had to do that. Just plug in, tweak the gain and tone, and off we go. That's WHY I go to those particular amps.

So for me, that's gonna be the deciding factor. When I can get my hands on one I'm gonna shut all FX down and start pulling up amps/cabs only. If they sound good without having to throw EQ's and such in on top of them, then I'll probably buy in. If I gotta starting tweaking stuff just to make it sound like that amp... well, I've already got rooms fulla stuff, may as well stick with them.

I WANT the Helix to be the end-all be-all - as noted above it certainly has the flexibilty and connectivity to be my flagship. But it I have to lollipop around just to get the basic sound right.... naw.

You are not alone. That's what I plan to do as well. I should be able to pull up a raw amp, adjust a few tone controls, and get a decent miked amp sound. If that can't happen I'll pass. Every other product they've produced, besides HD, was able to deliver on this funtionality.

I'm hoping Line 6 has learned from HD. The hands on test will tell the tale.

it is strange that line 6 doesnt do this if they are so proud of their amazing new modeling of the amps.Thata the 1st vid i would produce initially. Makes me curious and apprehensive.I agree the hd500 had alot in it but to have to tweek it so much to get decent tone made me sell it. I have preordered at a good discount so i will definately just be trying amps and cabs only..with mild reverb some of time to get a feel for the amps quality and feel.

I was suspended over at the gear page over my remarks about questioning line 6 not showing just the amps and cabs...There are too many koolaid drinking fanboys over there....I am a fan of no company...i want tones-results to prove to me its really upgraded modeling.So many vids on the chewey univibe and tremolo and delay and reverbs and talk about flexibility..all well and good but no vids just on the basic modeled amps showcasing them...wierd!

• Upvote 1

it is strange that line 6 doesnt do this if they are so proud of their amazing new modeling of the amps.Thata the 1st vid i would produce initially. Makes me curious and apprehensive.I agree the hd500 had alot in it but to have to tweek it so much to get decent tone made me sell it. I have preordered at a good discount so i will definately just be trying amps and cabs only..with mild reverb some of time to get a feel for the amps quality and feel.

I was suspended over at the gear page over my remarks about questioning line 6 not showing just the amps and cabs...There are too many koolaid drinking fanboys over there....I am a fan of no company...i want tones-results to prove to me its really upgraded modeling.So many vids on the chewey univibe and tremolo and delay and reverbs and talk about flexibility..all well and good but no vids just on the basic modeled amps showcasing them...wierd!

I thought the guitarguitar video had quite a few of the amps without too many other effects. Maybe my memory is a bit different.

I thought the guitarguitar video had quite a few of the amps without too many other effects. Maybe my memory is a bit different.

Definitely—there are a metric ton of Helix clips and videos out there—far more than for any other pre-release MI product I've ever seen. It's just easier for some people to complain than it is to Google, ya' know?  :P

"But, but, but... Line 6 hasn't made me a custom video with exactly what I want to hear yet!"

• Upvote 6

Here is the audio only without room mike:

https://soundcloud.com/paulhindmarshmusic/guitarguitarhelix-direct

Ok - so do we know that these are amp/cab only?  The text says "no other processing", but then he obviously kicks in a few (gotta say, the U-vibe is MILES beyond the rather sorry one on the HD.  Just gorgeous....).  If these are the amp/cab sounds with no other EQing and the like, I'm wa-a-a-y closer to this.  (Alright, I'll give ya ONE eq - just one....)

Definitely—there are a metric ton of Helix clips and videos out there—far more than for any other pre-release MI product I've ever seen. It's just easier for some people to complain than it is to Google, ya' know?  :P

"But, but, but... Line 6 hasn't made me a custom video with exactly what I want to hear yet!"

Except that there are no vids with more than a few seconds of dry clean or slightly driven amps. The direct audio from the above Soundcloud has ping pong delay and reverb all over it and is 95% hi gain or fx. And when he gets to the Twin especially it sounds grainy and legitimately horrible. It sounds like a bad emulation of a Twin on its last legs. I choose to believe it was his choices that showed off the worst of that setting - flubby hitting etc. maybe he was trying to show how you could break up the Twin naturally? I hope it sounds better than that. That he spent so little time there makes me fear the worst.

I'm not complaining for the sake of it, and clearly many others are after the same thing, we want to be convinced because it looks like the Holy Grail for studio and live - if it can't pull off the feel and sound of a classic clean dry amp it is not the Holy Grail.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't really know what magical things people are expecting from clips. I've heard awesome clips from every generation of the POD, and I've seen different people do A/B tests where people couldn't tell the difference between the POD and the real thing. I've heard horrible recordings of real amps. So much of this depends on the person playing. Each of the amp models in the Helix can provide a wide range of tones, so even if they would record dry samples of all the amps, that's only a snapshot of that amp for a particular tone stack setting, using a particular guitar. It's still giving a very limited view of the overall capabilities of the unit.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I don't really know what magical things people are expecting from clips. I've heard awesome clips from every generation of the POD, and I've seen different people do A/B tests where people couldn't tell the difference between the POD and the real thing. I've heard horrible recordings of real amps. So much of this depends on the person playing. Each of the amp models in the Helix can provide a wide range of tones, so even if they would record dry samples of all the amps, that's only a snapshot of that amp for a particular tone stack setting, using a particular guitar. It's still giving a very limited view of the overall capabilities of the unit.

Dry Deluxe Reverb with a strat and a les. That's about as generic as you can get and covers a lot of territory for a lot of people. Why is that whenever several people begin discussing the dearth of dry amp sounds in the "metric ton" of videos out there they get either pilloried or diversionary responses like this one? Nobody asked for "magic", and nobody, at least here, warranted a condescending run down of what not to expect out there in silly consumer land. It's $2500. I want it to be great. I will buy it if it is. I want more, naked, proof, and I'm willing to be patient. The amp/cab is the basis, from there we can use our imaginations because lollipop knows we've heard the lovely fx.

• Upvote 4

Gotta agree with bloodychoir...we would like to hear some amps. No effects on them. Just the freakin' amps without the noodling on the guitar stuff.
Just the amps. A couple of big chords played on them allowed to ring out. Couple of slow licks on guitar so we can hear the tone and the sustain, etc.

Just like to see if it sounds like an amplifier instead of an effect laden mushy mess.
Not meaning to sound like a jerk. Just want to hear the amp models. :)

​

• Upvote 4

I'm with bloodychoir as well. The foundation is the amp tone, clean, dirty, lead, bright, spongy, etc. Effects can hide or cover the foundation. Let's hear what the foundation sounds like.

Seems to me it would be very easy to make a video that so many have been asking for. It's just a request.

agree...on the TGP thread i was suspended for posting relevant issues like this there.They are total fan boys who dont question anything.They just lay down their cash and drink the line6 koolaid.

Not me...I have bought line 6 products for years and am hoping this helix will be great but its always the same lines in the vids..lots of effects..chewy this and that..and look at all the options..blah blah blah...WE GET THAT...Now its time to sample the core of the unit..the stuff that line 6 is raving about...its not magic its years of tech and hard work to develope the next greatest hz modeling from line 6...its about the amps and cabs....we know there is plenty of options..flexability and effects....but what we want to hear is how the amp models stack up?  no?..Its really simple to do.Just go through the amps clean, crunchy and dirty without effects and switch up a few diff cabs. forget the tubescreamer..the chewey vibes...the delays and reverbs....just show off your excellent new amp models...is that really that hard to do?  What are you guys hiding?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm not against them making clips. It's just that I don't recall any product like this where the manufacturer has gone through and released the type of clips being asked for. They're not hiding anything. It's just they have limited resources, and I imagine that they see doing those sorts of clips as having a limited impact. Eventually, when the Helix is released the floodgates for clips will be open, and there will be an overwhelming amount out there.

• Upvote 3

Dry Deluxe Reverb with a strat and a les. That's about as generic as you can get and covers a lot of territory for a lot of people. Why is that whenever several people begin discussing the dearth of dry amp sounds in the "metric ton" of videos out there they get either pilloried or diversionary responses like this one? Nobody asked for "magic", and nobody, at least here, warranted a condescending run down of what not to expect out there in silly consumer land. It's $2500. I want it to be great. I will buy it if it is. I want more, naked, proof, and I'm willing to be patient. The amp/cab is the basis, from there we can use our imaginations because lollipop knows we've heard the lovely fx.

Yeah when I am checking an electric guitar out for possible purchase I always test it acoustically first because I can always change the electrics.

The core guitar sounds of any of these units bar the effects is paramount

Gotta agree with bloodychoir...we would like to hear some amps. No effects on them. Just the freakin' amps without the noodling on the guitar stuff.

Just the amps. A couple of big chords played on them allowed to ring out. Couple of slow licks on guitar so we can hear the tone and the sustain, etc.

Just like to see if it sounds like an amplifier instead of an effect laden mushy mess.

Not meaning to sound like a jerk. Just want to hear the amp models. :)

Raw guitar and great switching capability is a great start ... effects can always be added later!

What I heard easily kept up with the Kemper and Axe FX II. You don't have to take my word for it, just wait and go and try one out for yourself once they hit the shops.

I have seen Drew over at the Kemper forums and I believe he knows what he's talking about. To put the whole thing into perspective however the only Midi pedal with scribble strips is the RJM MasterMind which costs as much as the Helix with No amps and no effects! This thing is insane! The UI is to die for. I doubt the amp models will be as accurate as an actual Kemper profile but they will be close and the ultimate would be a Helix AND a Kemper!

• Upvote 2

Here is the audio only without room mike:

https://soundcloud.com/paulhindmarshmusic/guitarguitarhelix-direct

Of everything I've heard, this demonstrates the amps the best for me. And I like what I hear. But, as has been said many times, I have to hear it myself. I haven't been this excited about a new product in a very long time. At least a decade. And I'll be using a 30 day return policy if I don't love it. But I'm thinking I'll be keeping it. We'll see. I hate waiting.

Of everything I've heard, this demonstrates the amps the best for me. And I like what I hear. But, as has been said many times, I have to hear it myself. I haven't been this excited about a new product in a very long time. At least a decade. And I'll be using a 30 day return policy if I don't love it. But I'm thinking I'll be keeping it. We'll see. I hate waiting.

Yeah, I gotta agree on that.  The only thing I am curious about is was that a live sound coming out of FRFR PA cabs or was that direct into a PC.  I am really hoping that was coming out of FRFRs cuz I use my 500x almost exclusively live.

Yeah, I gotta agree on that.  The only thing I am curious about is was that a live sound coming out of FRFR PA cabs or was that direct into a PC.  I am really hoping that was coming out of FRFRs cuz I use my 500x almost exclusively live.

I don't really understand this comment. How would you capture the sound coming out of FRFR cabs? Micing them? I'm sure this isn't how these clips were created. As Paul noted on the Souncloud page, these were recorded direct - I imagine direct over USB.

I don't really understand this comment. How would you capture the sound coming out of FRFR cabs? Micing them? I'm sure this isn't how these clips were created. As Paul noted on the Souncloud page, these were recorded direct - I imagine direct over USB.

Yeah that's exactly what I am wondering as since I use these things live, I need to know what they will sound like coming out of FRFR cabs.  I think it's been a consensus for awhile that people seem to have a hell of a lot easier time getting great sounds out of the PODs through USB.  I've heard some amazing stuff come from my own 500x when going through USB with very little tweaking, not as amazing when going live thru my PA cabs though.

As everyone else is saying, I am really hoping that this is the kind of system that can be hooked up, tweak a few amp knobs and have a really nice sound from the raw model... then start playing with all the buzzes and whistles.

The whole idea of using a FRFR system is that what you hear from the USB or direct recording should be very close to what you're PA is reproducing. Otherwise, it's telling you that your PA speakers aren't really all that flat and are coloring your tone quite a bit.

I'm not against them making clips. It's just that I don't recall any product like this where the manufacturer has gone through and released the type of clips being asked for. They're not hiding anything. It's just they have limited resources, and I imagine that they see doing those sorts of clips as having a limited impact. Eventually, when the Helix is released the floodgates for clips will be open, and there will be an overwhelming amount out there.

I appreciate that Phil, and please know that this is in good faith, but several of these threads have had calls from several potential buyers (pre-orders, early adopters!) for this simple thing. At best it's underestimating the potential clientele for this - studio based remixers, long time touring musicians, producers, and probably the amplifier zealots with increasingly bad backs, ears and limited space - who haven't been nearly convinced in the past but feel like maybe the tech has finally arrived (that may be a lot of people given how many I know in the industry who really gave the 500hdX a shot and quickly moved on). At worst its using those oddly limited resources to put very expensive rouge on another pig's cheeks. I'm in the former camp, why don't Line 6 prove me right?

And you know that flood of clips will be 99% crap audio or engineered to make the player sound rawkin dude. Unadorned strums and picked notes, five minutes without wankery, without fx, just a few amps and cabs, couple of different axes, maybe even a Variax!, direct to interface, is all that's needed.

agree...on the TGP thread i was suspended for posting relevant issues like this there.They are total fan boys who dont question anything.They just lay down their cash and drink the line6 koolaid.

Not me...I have bought line 6 products for years and am hoping this helix will be great but its always the same lines in the vids..lots of effects..chewy this and that..and look at all the options..blah blah blah...WE GET THAT...Now its time to sample the core of the unit..the stuff that line 6 is raving about...its not magic its years of tech and hard work to develope the next greatest hz modeling from line 6...its about the amps and cabs....we know there is plenty of options..flexability and effects....but what we want to hear is how the amp models stack up?  no?..Its really simple to do.Just go through the amps clean, crunchy and dirty without effects and switch up a few diff cabs. forget the tubescreamer..the chewey vibes...the delays and reverbs....just show off your excellent new amp models...is that really that hard to do?  What are you guys hiding?

Not sure if tjontheroad is on this forum however he just posted his impressions from using Helix at a Pedal expo.

"The first thing I asked to do was to shut off all the FX and listen to the amp models by themselves. Every amp had great feel, wide dynamic response, and clearly a pro level representation of the real thing. The Helix ain't no POD I ever heard. Then, when you get the FX back in the mix, Helix sounds pretty amazing."

Now take that with the grain of salt that you probably will, but at least you now have a first hand account that they aren't hiding anything  :D

Not sure if tjontheroad is on this forum however he just posted his impressions from using Helix at a Pedal expo.

"The first thing I asked to do was to shut off all the FX and listen to the amp models by themselves. Every amp had great feel, wide dynamic response, and clearly a pro level representation of the real thing. The Helix ain't no POD I ever heard. Then, when you get the FX back in the mix, Helix sounds pretty amazing."[/size]

Now take that with the grain of salt that you probably will, but at least you now have a first hand account that they aren't hiding anything  :D

I'm here I ain't nobody's fanboy ;)

• Upvote 2